Check Engine Light Flashing when Redlining

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check Engine Light Flashing when Redlining

On my way back from the dealership this morning for an oil change, I redlined for the first time in 3rd gear, while driving in SS mode. As soon as I realized that I was redlining, I shifted, but I did feel the engine sort of jerk and hesistate a bit. I think that is normal per the owner's manual as there is the engine limiter. Right?

But what freaked me out was that my yellow check engine light under the tach meter started blinking on and off as I redlined, and even continued to blink after I put the car out of the SS mode!!! I pulled over almost immediately and turn off the car to consult the manual. When I started up the car again, thank god the light didn't come on again. I drove around for another 20 miles, and the engine light never came back on. Have any of you guys had this light come on during/after redlining? Should I be concerned and take it back to the dealer to check they didn't screw something up while changing my oil?

DA
Old 05-05-2001, 01:29 PM
Instructor

I've hit the rev limiter several times before and did not notice any lights blinking. Isn't the check engine light supposed to be red? The yellow light might be the maintenance light. Could the dealer forget to reset it after the oil change?

------------------
2000 Acura 3.2 TL (Nav)[*]Comptech Springs[*]Home Depot Grill

Old 05-05-2001, 02:08 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well..... I have that darn thing pop up 8 times already..... Mine is a 2000 TL.

There are few difference reasons why the engine light will pop up..... Sometimes because of the ECU, sometimes because you got extra unburn gas stock in your engine after you shut your engine off...

In your case it's most likely to be a miss fire. That happened to me after few minutes after I hit the rev limiter. It that thing comes up again, the dealer will just reset the light for you anywayz.
Old 05-06-2001, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by eujinc:
I've hit the rev limiter several times before and did not notice any lights blinking. Isn't the check engine light supposed to be red? The yellow light might be the maintenance light. Could the dealer forget to reset it after the oil change?

The light was definitely yellow, not red. It seems the TL manual doesn't call it the "Check Engine Light", but refers to it as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. It was not the Maintenance Required Indicator that lit up.

DA
Old 05-06-2001, 07:21 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SL1200MK4:

In your case it's most likely to be a miss fire. That happened to me after few minutes after I hit the rev limiter. It that thing comes up again, the dealer will just reset the light for you anywayz.
SL1200MK4: 8 times? Had the dealer located the problem?
Did your light come on right away as you hit the rev limiter? Or did the light come on minutes after you hit the rev limiter? My light has since gone out by itself, so I don't need to have it reset by the dealer. I just want to know why it came on, and whether that was normal.

DA