Cheap Acura Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Acura Paint!

The paint on my wife's '03 TLS sucks! :sqntfawk:

I know they use different paint now a days, but this is nuts. If you sneeze on it the paint will chip! Everytime I wash the car I discover more and more chips. I know, it might be the roads she drives on, etc. Yeah, but she drives on that road with other cars, etc. No problems like this. THIS PAINT SUCKS! At this rate, when I hit 50k on the car, it'll look like I just ran the Gumball 3000 race averaging 150mph! Swiss cheese front end! :'(

Anyhow, I know this must be an Acura paint problem. Anyone else have this? My sister has a '03 X5 and that thing is shaped like a brick and it has way less chips than my wife's TLS.

Gonna need to repaint it at this rate in 2 years! Assuming the look of the front doesn't kill me first. Or repaint and get a clear bra for it!
Old 07-13-2004, 01:20 PM
i

the paint on my 03 TL is just as crappy. I have to mist the bottom of the front bumper when i wash the car or the current chips jus get bigger.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Just agree and go away...

I plan on having my care repainted... properly when she is 5 years old... so I have been saving for it... anyone else?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Banned

yup, my paints chipping off by my exhaust from the heat.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Missing my Acura's

Just Had My Baby Painted!
Old 07-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

I do quite a bit of driving (had the car about 10 months and already pulling over 30k on it) and the EVERY time I wash it (about once a week or so) there are like 2 or 3 more chips. These go all the way down to the metal. At first I wanted to get some filler paint to fix each one, but there are probably about 20-30 all over my car. The only reason it really bothers me is that I don't want it to start rusting in the little chip areas (each is about the size of an "O" from the font on a quarter).

Should I just suck it up and buy a lot of this paint and fill it in every time I wax (about once a month) or should I just wait a year or so and then have the whole thing repainted? How much damage will it cause having these chips like they are?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Instructor

I dunno about you guys. But a properly maintained car should NOT have to be painted every 5 years or whatever. If you lived where it snowed or close to the beach then yeah. But where I live, no (SanFran Bay Area). If you wash your car "normally" and wax it at least once every 6months, you shouldn't have to repaint it.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Rock Star

im glad i leased my lease is up in aug of 05.... but i agree dont like the paintjob
Old 07-13-2004, 04:26 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Its the same on our 350Z and 03 Max everytime I wash them I find a new nick someplace, we can all blame the new EPA standards. Our old 02 TLS paint sucked as well it looked like a chip factory when we got rid of it.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Instructor

I can't imagine leasing a car and returning it w/ the frontend all chipped and then saying "that's normal wear and tear!" That would be a big :fingerfawk: to the dealer though! hahahaha

I figure it's the waterbase EPA paints. But my sister's X5 does not have this problem at all. And no we don't live in the sticks w/ rocks and gravel on the road.

This paint sucks!

Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
Its the same on our 350Z and 03 Max everytime I wash them I find a new nick someplace, we can all blame the new EPA standards. Our old 02 TLS paint sucked as well it looked like a chip factory when we got rid of it.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Banned

This is odd
HOw come my O2 has never had this type of paint problem
Old 07-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Its not just the water based paint, its also the number of clearcoats put onto the car. I believe the RL/NSX/S2000 gets a 5 coat process while the TL/CL/RSX and I'd imagine other Hondas only get a 3 coat process. If you spend the money and get the car repainted properly then it shouldn't happen again I would think. I agree though, the paint on these cars is not that good!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:09 PM
Racer

Honda cheaped out on us.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Its unbelievable how cheap the paint is. I have more scratches and chips on the car than on any other car I have owned.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX

yes the majority of the problem is with the new water-based paints the whole industry has switch over to. They switched because VOCs from drying paint are the number one cause of car polution from car factories, Nissan was one of the first to switch back in the late 90s and they used to brag about it in their brochures for the maxima, and boy was that paint a disaster
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/es/etb/cetc/c..._paints_e.html

Nissan is still having about the worst time with the new paints, we get 350Zs and G35s with a couple thousand miles that are completely pepered up, looks like they've been on the road for years. To make matter worse, car style now dictates short overhangs, low to the ground with VERY blunt noses, notice how flat the face of your bumper is compared to acuras 5-10 years ago? Its like driving down the road with a barn door on the front of your car and it picks up every rock chip that might have otherwised glanced off a more rakish shaped bumper, it all adds up to a recipe for a quickly sand-blasted bumper, so dont beat up Acura too bad guys, all car companies are having a hard time with chips nowadays, just search Auidworld and Bimmerfest for similar complaints

If anyone has any questions about paint protection film feel free to drop us a line
Jeremy
Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Old 07-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure what's up with all of you having problems, I live in Colorado ,Rock Chip capital of the world and I have no issues with paint chipping. For 3 months straight, I commuted 130 miles round trip on Interstate 25 from Denver to Colo Spgs, during the winter.. Only one small chip on my front body kit piece, other than that...no paint chips. And here, they use straight up sand with a touch of salt. My window looks like it took some good rock pitting, but the paint has held up nicely. But Friday, I got hail damage on it so Murphy's Law...right y'all
Old 07-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My car has like 15 paint chips in the front. Hard to tell unless you look closely at it. The chips are pretty deep, down to the bare metal.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:37 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Invisiguard
yes the majority of the problem is with the new water-based paints the whole industry has switch over to. They switched because VOCs from drying paint are the number one cause of car polution from car factories, Nissan was one of the first to switch back in the late 90s and they used to brag about it in their brochures for the maxima, and boy was that paint a disaster
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/es/etb/cetc/c..._paints_e.html

Nissan is still having about the worst time with the new paints, we get 350Zs and G35s with a couple thousand miles that are completely pepered up, looks like they've been on the road for years. To make matter worse, car style now dictates short overhangs, low to the ground with VERY blunt noses, notice how flat the face of your bumper is compared to acuras 5-10 years ago? Its like driving down the road with a barn door on the front of your car and it picks up every rock chip that might have otherwised glanced off a more rakish shaped bumper, it all adds up to a recipe for a quickly sand-blasted bumper, so dont beat up Acura too bad guys, all car companies are having a hard time with chips nowadays, just search Auidworld and Bimmerfest for similar complaints

If anyone has any questions about paint protection film feel free to drop us a line
Jeremy
Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Your right!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:38 AM
All Hail the Chief

I think the chips the majority of you are experiencing are a result of your driving style. You've got to keep your distance from the cars in front of you, especially on the highway. I know that I've definitely changed my driving style since getting my Acura. I have one chip just above the metal surround of the grill on the hood that goes down to the metal and 3 little chips that look like a crescent moon on my hood, but that was from a freak occurance. The city was laying down salt on the highway (more like rocks) and as I was passing traffic they were kicking those rocks onto my car. I then ended up behind the city truck dispersing the rocks and it was like a rock and dust shower. I was so PO'd!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:58 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats worth a try...im usually up everyone's ***...or atleast whenever im in a hurry = 90% of the time preceeding my hispanic heritage.

My TL is 5years old and its been beaten by south FL flying things...my entine front bumper AND the frontal part of the hood are completely chipped. I'll post a pic so you all can s*** your pants... and im keeping the TL untill i graduate college (i start AUG 23!!) maibe ill paint it.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:02 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in Houston and I am a pretty safe driver, and I agree my 03 NBP TL has chips everywhere.. I am about to take the car to the dealer and have them fix all the problems with it....
Old 07-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Cruisin'

My paint rubs off with water :'(