Car hit... Would you file a claim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Car hit... Would you file a claim?

My TL-S got hit in the parking lot (at work nonetheless!)... No note, no nothing... That has me more tweaked than the damage itself... Anyway...

Result was a large dent in the driver door and front quarter-panel (the dent has tire remnants, so I am kinda assuming an SUV did this)...

My experience with these sorts of things tells me that I am probably looking at between $1K-$1.5K worth of body work...

I have a $500 deductable... But since this is collision, and not comprehensive, I fear that my insurance rates will go up and I wipe out any benefit I get...

I buy insurance for the big things...not the little ones... But this one is kinda right in the middle...not real big...but not tiny either...

Opinions?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
If memory serves correctly, last time my car was hit while parked, AAA covered it under the comprehensive coverage.

It won't raise your premium (at least not directly, and/or right away), but it will affect your tier rating. For example, this lady I know, she got hit 4 time in 2 months, and her car was finally stolen as a grand finale. Although NONE of it was her fault, she was dropped from insurance because her tier rating was way high and she was assessed as high risk even though she didn't do anything wrong; just because of bad luck.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are hit by a vehicle in a parking lot, I believe that is covered under comprehensive and not collision anyway. Exactly right from the previous post with your tier rating. You will accumulate insurance points for filing a claim. However, as long as you don't make this a regular occurance, its definately worth the money you will save from the bill. If both the door and the quarter panel are damaged, you're looking at least 1500, maybe more depending on how damaged.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro

Nope... definitely collision... At least as defined by Allstate:

Collision: A collision with another oject or by upset of that auto or trailer.

Comprehensive: Loss caused by missiles, falling objects, fire, theft or larceny, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water, flood, malicious mischief or vandalism, and riot or civil commotion.

The reason I knew was because I had a shopping cart roll into a friends car and he is with allstate as well... They said anytime something hits your car, it is a collision... The one exception is if someone threw a rock at your car and dented it...then it would be a comprehensive (under malicious mischief)...

I spoke to my agent today and she said that it won't count against me... It is considered equivalent to a hit-and-run and will be counted as a not-at-fault collision... So it's still $500 to me...but my rates won't go up...

She said that years ago, Allstate didn't distinguish between a collision that was your fault or not... a collision was a collision... But they've changed that policy some years ago...

So yes...I will be filing a claim...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i would think this could be "vandalism" or "mischef".... it is a stretch though.. at least your rates wont go up. Get some other stuff painted as well like your grille or some interior trims or something under the hood.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Pro

Yea, that's what I was thinking...that I might be able to sell vandalism/mischief... I tried, but no...they said that this sort of thing is a pretty standard claim situation, and it is considered collision...

Hmmmm... getting other stuff painted... Will most body shops include this sort of work in the same job, or are you saying that since I have the car in the shop, pay a little extra to get other work done?
Old 06-11-2005, 12:33 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on the shop. With my shop, since they were mixing the paint anyways, they painted my parts for free as a good will gesture. But then again, mine was a $4000 collision. I suggest shopping around and asking.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro

My car is Metallic Anthracite...

Any parts would look good painted in Metallic Antrhacite?

Not sure I have seen anyone get their engine cover painted in that color or not...would that look good? Any suggestions would be good... I will be going to the body shop this week for quotes...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have claims experience and this is not a comprehensive claim -_-; You said you have observed tire marks on the damaged area.

In case you are wondering, you will lose all discount associated with good driver if you file a claim, but will not adversely affect you. If I were you, I'd just fix it myself. Get an estimate first and if it's around 1-1.5k just pay out of pocket. If it's above, just have ur insurance company pay for it.

If you have AAA, you won't have a problem with increased premium and that's a fact.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mongolian
I have claims experience and this is not a comprehensive claim -_-; You said you have observed tire marks on the damaged area.

In case you are wondering, you will lose all discount associated with good driver if you file a claim, but will not adversely affect you. If I were you, I'd just fix it myself. Get an estimate first and if it's around 1-1.5k just pay out of pocket. If it's above, just have ur insurance company pay for it.

If you have AAA, you won't have a problem with increased premium and that's a fact.
Thanks for the info...

I have Alstate and I asked my agent over and over again (almost to the point of irritation) whether this would impact my "good driver" and/or any privelidged discounts, and she told me that this is standard stuff...

A not-at-fault collision claim will not impact my current discounts...

I am hoping she is correct...she always has been in the past...

Anyone from Allstate have a different experience? Cuz if so, I agree...I had contemplated paying this out-of-pocket to avoid any negative impacts in my premiums...

One other question: Why is it that AAA won't increase premiums? Is it possible that Allstate has a similar policy?