Can a Savage 2002 tl with 43k still have warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can a Savage 2002 tl with 43k still have warranty??

Hello everyone, this is my very first post and this question might be dumb. But I just purchased a 2002 TLS salvage title wiht 43k, I know which dealer it was originally from, and i was just wondering if it would still be under coverage, because the car is salvage (got hit from the side door), does the warranty diminish once it has been in an accident? thx for any valuable feedback in advance (positive or negative). this is by far one of the most helpful forum that I've experienced.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Does it have a salvaged title or was it just in a accident?? If it has a salvaged title the warranty is voided
Old 02-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Cruisin'

it has a savage title, unfortunately. Thanks for the headsup, now I dont have to go in the dealer asking stupid questions.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

You can try, but they dont have to cover it
Old 02-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Banned

hey so with that salvage title are you able to get insurance on it or u gonna take it in the dmv and get it a rebuilt title?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Cruisin'

the title will stay salvage, and I can still get insurance for it, I dont think there is goign should be a major different between a salvage and a clear title when it comes to the cost of insurance.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:04 AM
TL Q(

so i guess the tranny warranty for a salveged TL would void also? another word, if a salveged TL has tranny failure, it's gonna b at ya own expense?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Honor...

With a salvage title, everthing related to the warranty is voided.
The manufacturer and the dealership can not (and most likely will not) cover anything.

They will run your vin# and it will show up as salvage.
You might be able to purchase an aftermarket warranty, but with the way those companies communicate with each other with regard to repair claims, that might not be possible either.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Instructor

i dunno, i also have one with a salvage title, yet the dealer did the oil jet recall for free, they still have to do all safety recalls as if its under warranty even with salvage title.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vidhartha
i dunno, i also have one with a salvage title, yet the dealer did the oil jet recall for free, they still have to do all safety recalls as if its under warranty even with salvage title.
but the tranny warranty and faillure isnt under the recall, so no they wont be replacing trannies for free.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Pro

since you bought it from a dealer it should have a limited 12month 12k warranty

you could always try for tranny replacement thogh. i would never pay the money untill i had exhausted the acura client service phone lines
Old 02-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

I thought they will still have to cover the tranny and do the inspection for free, since its a safetly issue that is at fault on their part. I will bring it in the dealer in about 4 days, I will let you guys know how it went
Old 02-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
but the tranny warranty and faillure isnt under the recall, so no they wont be replacing trannies for free.

Recall Date:
APR 15, 2004
Summary:
ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.
Consequence:
GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO. P30/P31

=================================
my theory is that even if the title is salvage, they still have the responsibility to make sure the tranny wont cause an accident.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Okay now read that carefully, acatmpf. Reading comprehension is of utmost importance here.

Kris said that transmission replacement was not what the recall was about, and he is correct. They only replaced the transmission for free under recall if it had less than 15k miles and was showing heat damage. The car in question has 43k miles.

The transmission warranty was just a warranty enhancement, now voided by a salvage title.

You're entitled to an oil jet kit, but no warranty of any sort.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:32 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

BTW: I've always wondered what the "S" in Type-S stood for. Now I know. It stands for Savage, right? It's a savage beast with it's 260hp!

J/k with you about the typo in the title of the thread.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Racer

I WENT THROUGH THIS. I BOUGHT A TYPE S witha rebuilt title. acura did not honor the warranty it was VOID. some light at the end of the tunnel.. if your tranny fails due to the 2nd gear being chipped or broken you will get a free tranny replacement no matter what. in my case it was the 3rd gear clutch pack , which was only covered by the warranty extention which was void for me. but the 2nd gear recall is for any tl
Old 02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

It is much more likely to fail due to 3rd gear clutchpacks than it is to fail due to 2nd gear chipping or breaking.. that's why they install the oil jet kit, which is the recall. It would be best to not buy a TL with a salvage title.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by optiq
I WENT THROUGH THIS. I BOUGHT A TYPE S witha rebuilt title. acura did not honor the warranty it was VOID. some light at the end of the tunnel.. if your tranny fails due to the 2nd gear being chipped or broken you will get a free tranny replacement no matter what. in my case it was the 3rd gear clutch pack , which was only covered by the warranty extention which was void for me. but the 2nd gear recall is for any tl
wow....i really hope this wont be the case for my car....Did you replaced your tranny? and if you did, how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking(just in case for future reference.)

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
It is much more likely to fail due to 3rd gear clutchpacks than it is to fail due to 2nd gear chipping or breaking.. that's why they install the oil jet kit, which is the recall. It would be best to not buy a TL with a salvage title.
TOo LATE =X....on the bright side...the person i am buying it from is someone of trustworthy...so if anything do happen....he "said" he will take care of it for certain. =X
Old 02-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Okay now read that carefully, acatmpf. Reading comprehension is of utmost importance here.

Kris said that transmission replacement was not what the recall was about, and he is correct. They only replaced the transmission for free under recall if it had less than 15k miles and was showing heat damage. The car in question has 43k miles.

The transmission warranty was just a warranty enhancement, now voided by a salvage title.

You're entitled to an oil jet kit, but no warranty of any sort.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by acatmpf
wow....i really hope this wont be the case for my car....Did you replaced your tranny? and if you did, how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking(just in case for future reference.)
Odds are it is. There is only a 1-2% failure rate of the 2nd gear shaft on the TL. No one here that any of us know of has had that failure yet. We all have had the 3rd gear clutch pack fail.
Price for a rebuilt are 2-3500 depending on where you go, or 4500+ fora new one thru acura
Old 02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Odds are it is. There is only a 1-2% failure rate of the 2nd gear shaft on the TL. No one here that any of us know of has had that failure yet. We all have had the 3rd gear clutch pack fail.
Price for a rebuilt are 2-3500 depending on where you go, or 4500+ fora new one thru acura
wow in that case, I will be screwed....hard. I have a 2000 TL(clean) with 80000, and just bought a 2002 TLS (salvage) with 43000. I love my 2000 tl, that is why I bought another tl with navi...Never realize the tranny problem effected so many acura owners until i joined this forum recently....this is double bad news for MEe.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:01 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by acatmpf
wow in that case, I will be screwed....hard.
Well you can't say you weren't heavily warned. Hope he gave you lots of KY Jelly with your purchase of a salvage TL-S.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:52 PM
10th Gear

transmission warranty on salvage title

i had a 2000tl with salvage title and transmission was replaced under warranty with 75000 miles on car
Old 03-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by whitcre
i had a 2000tl with salvage title and transmission was replaced under warranty with 75000 miles on car
Who did you get into bed with at acura Acura doesnt have to cover or honor warranty on a salvaged title. You got a good dealer!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Is salvage title reported to the manufacturer? If not, I wonder if dealerships routinely run a title check when doing repair work. I don't know. If not and you "forget" to tell them upfront that you have a salvage you might get away with it. It's amazing how quickly insurance companies trash perfectly repairable cars.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it probably has a salvage title cause the tranny failed and caused an accident...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by whitcre
I talked to the service manager at a local acura dealer, and he said he would call the main board and see what kind of service they can provide for me "if" my tranny does fail.

I am relief to hear someone else in a similar situation got their tranny replace with a salvage title.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:16 AM
10th Gear

i took my car in cause the transmission was shifting hard. i did not say anything about recall. i called back 3 days later and they told me the transmission had been replaced free of charge. im fairly sure they would have to get approval from acura for a repair this major so they would surely know it had a salvage title.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Man there's some misinformation flying through this thread. Acatmph, you stated, "the person i am buying it from is someone trustworthy...he 'said' he will take care of it for certain". This means the following:

1) If you're still "buying" it, you have not officially purchased the vehicle.
2) He is a well-known mechanic in your area and has a trustworthy reputation.

Considering you already have a fully functional TL, I strongly suggest saving your money and steering clear of this transaction. Assuming #1, the transaction is not complete and no money has exchanged hands. If you decide to go along with the purchase, and #2 is correct (hopefully), then get a commitment in writing. If the mechanic has a good reputation, then he's going to want to protect that reputation. If he doesn't have a reputation, then how do you know he's trustworthy? Most guys want to get rid of a salvage vehicle asap and wipe their hands of the situation.

Some more negatives on salvage titles: there's a chance your insurance company will refuse to insure the vehicle and if they do offer coverage, it will be higher than the usual TL-S rate. A salvage is a higher risk and rates are adjusted accordingly.

Even more important, some states, such as Connecticut, will not register a salvage vehicle. There are loopholes however, but at the very least, most states require a thorough examination prior to registering a salvage vehicle. If there any stolen parts on the vehicle during this inspection, the vehicle will be confiscated. If the vehicle passes inspection, you're charged extra fees for the inspection and titling of a salvage vehicle.

I don't see the benefits of salvage ownership, the amount of money saved up front is less than extra insurance costs, registration fees, headaches, and further headaches when trying to sell the vehicle down the road.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Who did you get into bed with at acura Acura doesnt have to cover or honor warranty on a salvaged title. You got a good dealer!
Actually my first car(almost 11 yrs ago) was a 92' Accord which had a salvage title due to a flood. I remember i took it in a few times for minor warrenty work and the dealer never asked me anything nor did i volunteer any info. The car had about 25K miles when i first got it.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Type34
Man there's some misinformation flying through this thread. Acatmph, you stated, "the person i am buying it from is someone trustworthy...he 'said' he will take care of it for certain". This means the following:

1) If you're still "buying" it, you have not officially purchased the vehicle.
2) He is a well-known mechanic in your area and has a trustworthy reputation.

Considering you already have a fully functional TL, I strongly suggest saving your money and steering clear of this transaction. Assuming #1, the transaction is not complete and no money has exchanged hands. If you decide to go along with the purchase, and #2 is correct (hopefully), then get a commitment in writing. If the mechanic has a good reputation, then he's going to want to protect that reputation. If he doesn't have a reputation, then how do you know he's trustworthy? Most guys want to get rid of a salvage vehicle asap and wipe their hands of the situation.

Some more negatives on salvage titles: there's a chance your insurance company will refuse to insure the vehicle and if they do offer coverage, it will be higher than the usual TL-S rate. A salvage is a higher risk and rates are adjusted accordingly.

Even more important, some states, such as Connecticut, will not register a salvage vehicle. There are loopholes however, but at the very least, most states require a thorough examination prior to registering a salvage vehicle. If there any stolen parts on the vehicle during this inspection, the vehicle will be confiscated. If the vehicle passes inspection, you're charged extra fees for the inspection and titling of a salvage vehicle.

I don't see the benefits of salvage ownership, the amount of money saved up front is less than extra insurance costs, registration fees, headaches, and further headaches when trying to sell the vehicle down the road.

The reason why i said he is a good mechanic is because this is the third car I've purchased a car from him, and nothing had ever been wrong with any of those cars. The car he usually picks have low miles and the collusion point usually occurs in the rear end or side door or the cars. I already purchased the car, and took it in to the DMV for registration today, all they did were to make sure that the car wasnt using any stolen parts as a replacement for the damaged area. Got my insurance at farmers today too, 680/ 6 months full coverage. I will take some pictures of the car when it gets sunny.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a theory, which could be relate to this warranty issue and salvage titles. My father had a 98 Integra that had a salvage title from NJ. We live in NY, so once he received the new title from DMV when registered it still says salvage.

When he decided to trade the car in for a new TL, we went to a lot of Acura dealers in NJ, All of them gave him different price quotes because the car had a salvage title. Offering him only $2,000 at most to as low as $500. He was about to give up on trading the car, and we decide to go to a Acura dealer in NY. When they told him ther e were going to give him $5,000 for the car , he was shocked. They didn't even mention that the car had a salvage title. It's wierd, cause on the title it says salvage and they didn't even care.

So I'm assuming, if you purchased the car in one state, maybe the fact that having a salvage title won't apply towards voiding the warranty in another.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:21 AM
3rd Gear

What about doing an engine swap? The only CARB regs I know of for an engine swap is that it has to be the same year or newer, but that's for emissions standards. Would the salvage title follow the transplanted engine? I'd look into buying just the engine out of the TL-S if it doesn't.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The title is connected to a VIN, not an engine.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:17 AM
TLingggggggg

So down the end if you have a Salvage Title, they will still install the oil jet cooler for the 3rd gear but your transmission warranty is definetly voided? I remember calling up Acura Client services and they said that all warranties are voided because of a Title even the OPDS one. I guess I ll have to ask Paragon Acura in NY to see if they will do it.