A Bunch of Questions - 03 TLS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Bunch of Questions - 03 TLS

1) I hear a constant ticking noise from the engine bay, which I can hear from within the cabin (w/out the radio on). It seems as if it's coming from the corner closest to the driver's door. Anyone know what this is?
2) When I accelerate somewhat hard, the entire driver's seat shifts back a little. Anyone have this problem before? Guide problem?
3) Can you purchase black (color matched) exterior door handles? I'm not feeling the chrome.
4) When I hit potholes and bumps, I hear something rattle in the dash. Anyone had this problem?

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any responses.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by imagerockone
1) I hear a constant ticking noise from the engine bay, which I can hear from within the cabin (w/out the radio on). It seems as if it's coming from the corner closest to the driver's door. Anyone know what this is?
2) When I accelerate somewhat hard, the entire driver's seat shifts back a little. Anyone have this problem before? Guide problem?
3) Can you purchase black (color matched) exterior door handles? I'm not feeling the chrome.
4) When I hit potholes and bumps, I hear something rattle in the dash. Anyone had this problem?

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any responses.
1. The ticking noise is normal... I have the same problem with my car.
2. My seat does the same thing and I think can be fixed simply by checking / tightening all the bolts.
3. I think your only option is to have them painted.
4. The sound in your dash could be anything. I have a slight rattle in my dash but I think it's my Blitz-safe adapter making noise.

If your car is still under warranty you may be able to get your dealer to investigate the noise.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Are you sure its the seat shifting, or could the entire car be lurching? If so you could have a borken engine mount. That could also solve a ticking noise (which I don't have one death) and mabey the sound which could be coming from engine not dash.
For the paint - I think painting sounds like the right way to go
Good luck
Old 10-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Death said
Old 10-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
ticking is the purge control solonid. fairly common easy to replace. the seat mine does it too if its lowered all the way. I think its the track. door handles have to be custom painted. rattle??????
Old 10-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Further info:

The ticking noise by the firewall on the driver side, near the brake fluid reservoir is perfectly normal. It's the evap purge solenoid. Its job is to reroute the fuel vapor from the canister to the engine for combustion. The solenoid naturally ticks during its operation. It's normal. (Pure Adrenaline posted this... found by searching problems & fixes)

I'm actually going to talk to my stealership about replacing the purge solenoid since mine is now quite loud.

purge control selonoid part # MX136200-2110
Old 10-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys for the quick responses! Unfortunately, I didn't purchase a warranty when I bought the car last Saturday. I knew that there was a recall for the transmission and they informed me that it was replaced earlier this year with the first owner, so I thought I was good. Then I started to come to this forum and now I see that so many people here have had more than 1 transmission replacement, which worries me. I have to go to the dealership tomorrow for a brake job under a 'We Owe' (warped rotors), so maybe I'll get lucky and still be able to get the warranty and get the solenoid replaced along with the other kinks.

fsttyms1 - did the ticking go away after you replaced it?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had my purge control thing replaced under warranty becuase the ticking drove me crazy, and now i cant hear it at all. and my dash rattles too, it comes from right above the center vents. i think just stuffing some foam or something in there so it cant move will fix the noise, but i havent tried yet.