Brake Warping Warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Warping Warranty???

On my second set of Honda brakes now, with just over 40k. First ones went around 25k... I paid over 700 for rotors and pads from Acura 101 West in Calabasas, where I purchased the car new. About 3000 miles ago I had the front rotors turned and was charged 157.00 they are shaking again as I brake going downhill through Malibu Canyon. Called them up today and they said, "Its got to be your driving style, we've never had a customer with this issue" Honestly, I dont drive fast, I dont slam the brakes at every stop...its not me. My question is where does a warranty help? Should I have paid the the new set of brakes, how about the resurfacing? and now they want to charge me again!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Instructor

dude, its a known issue. 2nd gen rotors are pieces of shit. it makes no sense to me. its likely nothing to do with your driving style, its got to do with fucked up engineering. i think the best thing to do is bitch and complain and try to get them to fix your car for free, or for as little $ as possible. the other option is take those rotors and throw them off a cliff, and go buy some slotted/drilled brembo rotors. ive heard these work wicked. no warping no overheating, and they're built to OEM specs, they'll fit right in with no additional effort. thats what im doing in a few months, cause ive had the same problems since i got my ride 2 years back.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rnelson
On my second set of Honda brakes now, with just over 40k. First ones went around 25k... I paid over 700 for rotors and pads from Acura 101 West in Calabasas, where I purchased the car new. About 3000 miles ago I had the front rotors turned and was charged 157.00 they are shaking again as I brake going downhill through Malibu Canyon. Called them up today and they said, "Its got to be your driving style, we've never had a customer with this issue" Honestly, I dont drive fast, I dont slam the brakes at every stop...its not me. My question is where does a warranty help? Should I have paid the the new set of brakes, how about the resurfacing? and now they want to charge me again!
every tl/cl that comes into my shop with your complaint gets a warranty resurface and new pads as long as the pads arent real low. if the are low the customer usually pays. i am not sure why they replaced your rotors. i highly doubt they were too thin to resurface. you may have gotten ripped off. i would bitch to the dealer. if that doesnt work bitch to acura corporate. they may help you.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:44 AM
Instructor

well with mine every time i get a resurface they warp again, its a constant thing. it gets to a point where as you mentioned they are too thin to resurface. my dealer told me that next time i need new front pads (which is summer of 2005) they wont be able to resurface, and i'll need to get new rotors. at that time im buying the slotted/drilled Brembo's.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:36 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I, too, just had my rotors resurfaced today @ Acura Santa Monica. I took my car in for its 30K Maintenance interval. I had begun to notice this shimmy in the steering wheel when braking. The shimmy was happening at 30mph and then faded as I continued braking. The dealer service guy noticed this today, resurfaced the rotors and put new pads on, all with no charge, without asking permission, and without hasle. He said it was covered under warrantee. I hadn't even mentioned this, as I thought a 4-wheel alignment was needed and would fix it. BTW, they did the Tranny recall fix, too.

Yeah, bitch and complain if your dealer charges you, or contact corporate to get partial/full compensation for any charges you may have gotten. Corporate really wants to keep your business, and usually will work with you if you are cool about it.

Oh yeah, last time I bought an Acura at 101 West, which was the LAST TIME I would buy from Acura 101 West, they really screwed me on my used '89 Integra. Those guys are sharks and I suspect they will pull as much money out of their customers as they can, unless you call them on it. So, rnelson, get your money back from them!
Old 10-03-2004, 03:22 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im having the same problem, just bought my MY03, certified, and I noticed it when I first drove the car before buying it. I used to do detailing etc, so I know when cars sit on the lot for a while, there is a lot of rust and buildup on the rotors and pads, so I figured a day or two of driving would take care of it. Well, now its 2 and 1/2 weeks later, and its still doing it, so Im going in on wednesday for that and the headliner rattle.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

According to the original post, you got shafted so deep you must be blind. I would go back with TSB 0017 in hand and have them put each one of those dollars they took from you back into your pocket one by one. After that, have them replace those shitty defective rotors and put new pads (the softer ones). when that is done, bed in the pads correctly and avoid pudles and long stops. You should be good to go then till the next 25K miles are up.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Instructor

stiletto, would you happen to have a copy of TSB0017? where would i go about finding that?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

About TSB 01-017 (Honda has blocked TSB from public by law)

from thread: http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...&highlight=tsb

"Is the car older than 48 months? Definetly below 48,000 miles. Go to the dealer and tell them that the stearing wheel vibrates when applying your brakes. Mention that there is a (T)echnical (S)ervice (B)ulletin on the subject (from Alldata.com: TSB#01-017 MAY 03 Brakes - Pedal/Steering Wheel Vibrate When Braking) and that you would like to have that issue corrected. If you ask nicely, most likely you'll get new free pads and turning of the rotors. If you bitch loud enough, you might even get the rotors re-surfaced, and if you threaten a lawsuit, heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they install new rotors and pads for ya."

Hope this helps... and remember: if you ain't cryin' you ain't getting fed.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Instructor

wicked site man. i dont think my car qualifies anymore, but either way the site is wicked.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:53 PM
2nd Gear

Well, I am going around with my dealer on this issue right now. They said they WILL NOT do to work as warranty if there are over 20K miles on the car. They indicated that I should call Acura customer relations and take up my case. After quoting from TSB 01-017, and telling the service manager that this was a SAFETY issue, and threatening to not buy another Acura, he said that he would call Acura customer relations to take up the issue.....

Time will tell....
Old 10-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

This is also interesting... offers some tips, phone numbers and addresses...

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=541&scid=98