Brake guy's ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake guy's ???

with the brake and rotor posts lately, it has me in the mood to try and tackle my brake and rotor problem.

i have been having this problem for quite a while. and it all started after i replaced my pads when i purchased the vehicle. i replaced them because they were making all kinds a annoying grinding sounds wich had me believe that the pads were due for changing. soooo i replace them and everything is fine for about a week or two. well then my car began to shake as i would break wich made me believe the rotors were warrped and needed changing as well. i bought it used and didnt think anything of it. well the problem was fixed for another week or two, the warpped feeling came back. so i replaced all four rotors and pads. well after doing that, a week or two later it happens again and it has been this way for quite some time now. the only thing that i can think is that one or both of the front calipers are bad.

what do you guys think? calipers? glazed pads? im at my wits end with it.
i will mention that i believe that i hear a slight grinding sound (metal to metal) when im driving at slow speeds with a window open.

is there anything else that it could be? my last resort was to replace the factory rotors with the legend caliper and replace fluid. any help would be nice

Last edited by ice2fire11; 11-17-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Ok which brake pads did you get? Why did you by a used rotor??? You might need to adjust or replace your calipers or the brake line. Do feel the car shake when your braking or you just hear a grinding sound????
Old 11-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Racer

i bought the CAR used. sorry

i used raybestos for everything

after replacing the brakes and rotors it was fine for about a week or so - no vibration while braking. and then after that week or so it would vibrate only when braking from high speeds. and it would fet worse and wrose and now it vibrates like crazy if i brake at all

and the grinding sound im hearing is with me rolling and not hitting the brakes at a very slow speed. btw the grinding sound pulses almost like the rotors touching something and with it being warrped it pulses off and on and as i gain speed it becomes quicker and qucker until i cant hear it anymore (confusing?)
Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Bring it to your mechanic and check if the brake pads were installed correctly, they might be loose. Double check the rotors to see if they move, if they move I think you might have to change the knuckle, the front arm or hub assembly that connects to the rotors. Im not 100% but bring it to a mechanic they should be able to help.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
With the age of these cars now i wouldnt be shocked if you had a bad caliper.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
With the age of these cars now i wouldnt be shocked if you had a bad caliper.
thats really the only thing i can think of that could be making this keep hapening over and over again. i think the grinding noise is the brake on the rotor that isnt fully extended and with me doing nothing but highway driving, it heats up and warps the rotor. and i cant be for sure, but i wanna say it pulls to one side when i brake as well.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

i agree
Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Hey fsttyms1, I heard that the interga calipers fit in the TL, is that true??? If so which year cuz I was thinking of doing that.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Both my rear calipers seized this year and caused a grinding and high pitched noise. You could see the score marks from constant pad contact w/ the rotor. I could feel the drag and pulsating.
MAKE SURE TO HAVE THE TECH OR YOU CHECK THE ROTORS for warpage. Not just visually check because that doesn't do jack crap, but use whatever technical instrument they use. Mine should have been replaced the last time the caliper seized, but they weren't because the tech said "they were fine". I can haz shakes?? No fun.

(And torque those lug nuts properly yourself. Shops love to use that air gun to tighten to 4 gazillion lb/ft. Way to warp rotors.)
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TLGOD84
Hey fsttyms1, I heard that the interga calipers fit in the TL, is that true??? If so which year cuz I was thinking of doing that.
perhaps the integra calipers fit, but what would the benefit be?

do a search and you'll find people are swapping the stock TL front calipers with those from a 1995 legend - i can't remember the part numbers. i did this swap and recommend it to anyone replacing calipers.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
Hey ice2fire11, i just did my pads and got the front rotors resurfaced because of a slight vibration at highway speeds when I brake. I tested it out the other day and I still have the same issue I was confused just like you and really still am. I also have a sound that comes from the front as if something is warped and or rubbing, it howls somewhat and when I turn its more noticeable. Im going crazy just havent had the time to get it checked out, our situation sounds similar, if you find out what it is do let me know.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 PM
bringin lead

Originally Posted by kidduce
Hey ice2fire11, i just did my pads and got the front rotors resurfaced because of a slight vibration at highway speeds when I brake. I tested it out the other day and I still have the same issue I was confused just like you and really still am. I also have a sound that comes from the front as if something is warped and or rubbing, it howls somewhat and when I turn its more noticeable. Im going crazy just havent had the time to get it checked out, our situation sounds similar, if you find out what it is do let me know.
dude - that is priority #1 - if your brakes fail and you hit me - i'm taking your ass to court and winning.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
My brakes are new, all that has been handled so don't trip I'm not going to smack you. - really don't think the noise I have is related to my brakes. I feel like bearings or axles is more like it. I ain't trying to post jack but I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to fork the cash and someone look at it. On turns it makes a noise as if it rubs or something is warped, going straight it howls and makes my ride noisy. Anyone ever herd of something like that?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If a caliper is hanging up it can stay partially on, causing pad drag, or push funny or be weak and cause serious shake the wheel out of your hand vibrations, felt thru the steering wheel more than the brake pedal
Rotor warpage is felt in the pedal too

A slight noise may be heard as the pads and rotors get to know each other but should go away

Was everything properly cleaned and greased?

Change the brake fluid if not done yet
carefully observe the color of the fluid coming out
If its grey you are likely to have a problem and need calipers

for those in need- 1995 Legend LS-C, raybestos #frc 10627 & frc10628
see the many post on install- car stops way better for same price as TL calipers, about 75 each/rebuilt, can be found for less on some brands/stores
Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 AM
Instructor

its the integra type r's not just generic integra rs/ls/gsr.. funny part ppl use tl calipers on that set up. to up grade the caliper
Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
If a caliper is hanging up it can stay partially on, causing pad drag, or push funny or be weak and cause serious shake the wheel out of your hand vibrations, felt thru the steering wheel more than the brake pedal
Rotor warpage is felt in the pedal too

A slight noise may be heard as the pads and rotors get to know each other but should go away

Was everything properly cleaned and greased?

Change the brake fluid if not done yet
carefully observe the color of the fluid coming out
If its grey you are likely to have a problem and need calipers

for those in need- 1995 Legend LS-C, raybestos #frc 10627 & frc10628
see the many post on install- car stops way better for same price as TL calipers, about 75 each/rebuilt, can be found for less on some brands/stores

to be honest with you, no. every time ive done it i was in a rush - using someone elses bay. but im going to try to set aside some time on friday and check everything if i can again. i def want to try the legend calipers. so im kinda excited and frustrated again. so we will see what happens. if this doesnt work than i give up. thanks for your responce.

with the fluid being gray. what would be the problem to make it that color?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 AM
bringin lead

if it's gray, then it's old and has moisture in it - it needs to be changed.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
search internet for = hygroscopic
that explains hydraulic fluids ability to suck moisture from the air - right past cap orings!!

All the oils do it to a degree, but also are moving fluids- so heat gets rid of the moisture.
the brakes dont do that~

I cant imagine the single piston TL caliper being an upgrade for anything!
Legend LS-Coupe have 2 smaller pistons- spreading the total force across the pad much better- result improved braking power

grey fluid is toast and may be eating the o-ring that seals the caliper piston-- and makes it work
Flush it and see what you get out

Best to remove caliper with bracket- place 2x4 inside so piston cant pop out, gently apply brake pedal and watch motion of piston
open bleeder and squeeze piston -square/straight back in.,, repeat a few times to see what exactly is sticking.

If there is rust and pitting on the cylinder bore (not the bottem/inside of the piston that is visable) but the actual caliper cylinder- you need fresh calipers
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
search internet for = hygroscopic
that explains hydraulic fluids ability to suck moisture from the air - right past cap orings!!

All the oils do it to a degree, but also are moving fluids- so heat gets rid of the moisture.
the brakes dont do that~

I cant imagine the single piston TL caliper being an upgrade for anything!
Legend LS-Coupe have 2 smaller pistons- spreading the total force across the pad much better- result improved braking power

grey fluid is toast and may be eating the o-ring that seals the caliper piston-- and makes it work
Flush it and see what you get out

Best to remove caliper with bracket- place 2x4 inside so piston cant pop out, gently apply brake pedal and watch motion of piston
open bleeder and squeeze piston -square/straight back in.,, repeat a few times to see what exactly is sticking.

If there is rust and pitting on the cylinder bore (not the bottem/inside of the piston that is visable) but the actual caliper cylinder- you need fresh calipers

you might be right as i havent done the swap in the longest.. probly is legend. but type r caliper is single also.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Racer

so with the legend calipers, if i remember reading somewhere you swap the left and right?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ledgend calipers are dual piston calipers, the poor man's BBK if you will. They are a direct swap, the only thing you have to do is swap out the brake pad clips with the TL ones so you can use your TL pads. Hope this helps some.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CL-Slick
Ledgend calipers are dual piston calipers, the poor man's BBK if you will. They are a direct swap, the only thing you have to do is swap out the brake pad clips with the TL ones so you can use your TL pads. Hope this helps some.
does this hold true if i replace with different pads as well? i just dont want to run into any problems when i go to replace them. i think when i had it looked up it said that it came with pads, but if not i was going to pick up some.

Last edited by ice2fire11; 11-19-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,437 Posts
These are the raybestos calipers that are the least expensive; however, they have gone up since I last checked by $8.00. (were $72.99; now $78.99)
FRC10627; FRC10628
http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...e=5003&PTSet=A

Go here if you buy online & get 15% off each, which helps.
http://www.icetab.com/partsamerica-coupon.html

Shipping is free on orders over $75.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ice2fire11
does this hold true if i replace with different pads as well? i just dont want to run into any problems when i go to replace them. i think when i had it looked up it said that it came with pads, but if not i was going to pick up some.
You can use the pads that come with them, if you wanted to use TL pads all you would have to do is swap out the little clip.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TLGOD84
??? the question would be why? Im sure they arent as large as the TL?? The best upgrade is the legend 2 piston caliper.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ice2fire11
so with the legend calipers, if i remember reading somewhere you swap the left and right?
Yup, keeps the bleeder screw on the top!