Blue Underbody Kit, Blue Turn Signals, Blue Brake Light...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blue Underbody Kit, Blue Turn Signals, Blue Brake Light...

I am looking to where I would install my neon underbody kit, but I don't know where I would mount the switch. All three of the spaces to the left are full, so there is no "free" space to put the switch. I was thinking of just running them to my fog lights, but then I thought about it and I don't want them on that often when I am driving. I was wondering if anybody has any pictures of where and how they mounted the switch inside (2002 3.2TL Type-S).

Also...I want to change ALL my turn signals to BLUE. Yes, blue! I am a blue freak and can't help it and I want no sign of orange/amber any where on my car (BLUE all the way BABY!!!). Anyways...the back will be easy, that is just a matter of buying blue bulbs since it already has a clear cover (correct me if I am wrong). However, the front is quite different. I need to know how to remove the orange/amber pieces in the front headlights. I haven't had time to search the forum because of getting back to work and I only have a crappy 28.8K connection. Sorry about that.

Finally...I read earlier that you can change the spoiler LED lights from red to white/clear. Now how would I do this and is there a way to make it BLUE as well instead of white/clear?

Any help that you can give would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide as well as reading my post. Cheers All!!!

Jatses
jatses@email.com

**EDIT: Please read my other post in here to get the full details. Thank You! /EDIT**
Old 01-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Instructor

For a switch, you can use the little rectangle piece under the 3 switches. The one next to the light dimmer.

For the spoiler LED. I think it was sold at spoilerdepot.com . The stock lens is red with red LED, the aftermarket on was clear lens with red LED.

To remove the orange amber piece out of headlights. Do a search on "clearing head lights". If you don't feel comfortable, i think some members at willing to do it for a fee.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Advanced

Exclamation

Thanks for the switch location. That will work perfectly. I found where to get the bulbs and those cheap. I also found the tutorial in the DIY/Info section of this site. I know you can get the red and clear covers with red LEDs. What I want is clear LEDs with a blue cover, but blue LEDs and a clear cover would work too.

Does anybody live in Northern Indiana between South Bend and Fort Wayne that has done this and would do it for a fee? What would be your fee? Cheers and thanks for help!

Jatses
jatses@email.com
Old 01-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Happy with my STi!

My 2003 TL Type-S has underbody neons and the switch is located around the same area where you can regulate the intensity of the light on the dashboard. I am also a blue freak and if I could I would also change all the lightbulbs to blue, too bad I live in California and its illegal and stuff... I also have interior blue neon (check out my signature). Post some pics when you got everything going.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Drifting

how you gonna mount the underbody lights?....i was looking at the underside of my car and i could relaly find a surface on the front or rear where i couldnt mount the neons without them being visible...which would be gay....also..how owuld you actualy mount them to the body...using what?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Exclamation

Pictures....get them up as soon as I get it done (within 3 months max...gotta go back to school next week).

Mounting....don't have a clue njtls. I was going to go to a place in town and have them install those and I would install the switch myself. Sorry about that. I will take pictures of that as well when it is done so you can see.

Thanks everybody for your posting and help. Cheers All!

Jatses
jatses@email.com
Old 01-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TypeSDragon installed blue underglows on his TL-S. Search for it and you will find pics of it...or he can just jump in on this thread
Old 01-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Instructor

For clear lens and blue LEDs...i think that NO ONE makes them. Because that's totally illegal and not alot of ppl would buy it. You might have better luck buying the clear lens and swaping out the red LED with blue ones
Old 01-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Exclamation

If nobody makes them in mass production, I will make it myself or have somebody make it for me. I don't know anything about lighting like that, but oh well. How would I go about swapping the red LEDs wih blue ones? Would that be hard would work or would it just take some time? Details please! Thanks guys for your posting and help! Cheers!

Jatses
jatses@email.com
Old 01-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Happy with my STi!

Originally posted by njtls
how you gonna mount the underbody lights?....i was looking at the underside of my car and i could relaly find a surface on the front or rear where i couldnt mount the neons without them being visible...which would be gay....also..how owuld you actualy mount them to the body...using what?
Will only be unvisible if you have the body kit. You mount the neon tubes with transparent hooks that come with the neon kit. Just screw them to the body of the car. For the front and back you require a little more work... you have to cut some part of the plastic so the neon shows.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Exclamation

I have the ground effect kit. So I know that the bulbs won't show. Besides, I am having a place in town do it and for what I will have to pay, the bulbs better not show! Cheers All!

Jatses
jatses@email.com
Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Intermediate

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it illegal in just about ALL states to have flashing blue lights anywhere on your car? ie: turn sigs, back up lights, tail mounted lights
I got pulled over a few times in Tennessee when I had my bimmer (sp per hzm82) with blue turn sigs and got warnings to change them out. But those hicks also yelled at me for having my damn fogs turned on which having them on is kinda like default IMHO!
Let me know because I'm another blue freak!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Exclamation Overall Blue Idea...

I want to do this blue stuff for going to shows. Overall what I would like to do is drill new holes in all the turn signal casings so I can have to lights in each housing. Then run a switch to my dash that when switched one way all the blue bulbs are used for turn signals and when the switch is the other way, the legal orange/amber lights will be used. That way I can just turn it on for the shows and off when I am on the street. Saves time from switching the bulbs in and out each time I want to show the car whether at a show or just to a few friends that come over. Know what I mean. If you have any ideas on how to do that, I would appreciate that as well. If you don't know what I mean, just tell me and I will try to better explain it when I have more time. Thanks for viewing and posting. Cheers All!

Jatses
jatses@email.com
Old 01-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Dolent
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it illegal in just about ALL states to have flashing blue lights anywhere on your car? ie: turn sigs, back up lights, tail mounted lights
I got pulled over a few times in Tennessee when I had my beamer with blue turn sigs and got warnings to change them out. But those hicks also yelled at me for having my damn fogs turned on which having them on is kinda like default IMHO!
Let me know because I'm another blue freak!
Blue lights are illegal 50 states, it doesn't even need to be flashing.

beamer? You mean a Bimmer.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

hzm82

exactly what I thought... thanks for the sp, it's too early
Old 01-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro

i found his photo album.....i'm not too crazy about it because with out the kit you can't hide the bulbs and i think that doesn't look nice.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/typ...om/typesdragon
Old 01-06-2004, 11:17 AM

The law with underbody kits is that your allowed to have it and drive with them on. The bulb is not allow to show. As long as the bulbs are not showing its all good...
Old 01-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Mr
The law with underbody kits is that your allowed to have it and drive with them on. The bulb is not allow to show. As long as the bulbs are not showing its all good...
Oh, wow. I didn't know that. I was under the impression that you couldn't have them period.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Lightbulb Detailed Overall Goal...

Here is what I want to do overall. I now have time to type up a detailed explanation. Anyways...here we go:

I have figured out how to mount the switch for the neons and that will be easy, just will take some time.

I also figured out how to clear the headlights and will get that done in the near future. One thing, what is a good company to go with to get colored bulbs? I want BLUE lights, not a light blue or almost black, but BLUE!

For the spoiler brake light, I know what I need to do, but I don't know how to do it. I will have to buy the clear plate with red LEDs and swap them with blue LEDs. However, I would only swap every-other-one. Each color would be on their own circuit (1 circuit for blue and 1 circuit for red(you will find out later why)).

Now, for my overall goal. I want all the blue for going to shows, but I don't want to get pulled over for all the blue lights. So what I want is to have another light bulb opening drilled/installed in each of the turn signal housings, both front and back. That way I could put in a orange/amber bulb for turn signals (and front parking lights) and it would be street legal. Each of the new bulb openings circuits would then be ran along side of the original with its own relays and whatever the original circuit contains (with me so far?). I then would run both the original ciruit and the new circuit to a relay of some sort that runs to a switch on my dash. The switch would dictate which circuit is powered. That way when I wanted to drive it on the street (or more the less when there was a cop around) I could flip the switch one way and the turn signals (and front parking lights) would be orange/amber and the spoiler would be red (which would also have a separate circuit ran to the dash as well right beside the original spoiler brake light circuit). Then when the switch is flipped the other way, the turn signals (and front parking lights) will be blue and the spoiler brake light will be blue as well.

Does this all make sense? I don't really care how stupid and dumb this sounds, I still want it to be done. I am sure it won't cost over a grand to do this so I am all for it (I have a grand saved out for mods specially for this car). If anybody has any suggestions for me they would be much appreciated. I have an idea for making new openings but running the new circuit is going to be ssoo tedious. Well...any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for viewing and posting everyone. Cheers All!

Jatses
jatses@email.com
Old 01-06-2004, 03:34 PM

That is a lot of work. You better have a ton of time on your hands...
Old 01-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to show qaulity, don't go for weak blue underbody neons. Get LED ones. They can change color and pattern and a whole lot brighter. I might install one set comes summer time

Also, don't forget the interior to be blue too

Old 01-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mr
The neons can't be red or blue. You will get a ticket for driving around with those.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Exclamation Bunch of Replies...

Not where I am from you won't get pulled over for red or blue. As long as the bulb isn't visible and they don't blink they won't give you a ticket. The most they will do is pull you over and give you a warning and ask you to turn them off while driving. Believe me I know. I was the first person in my town to go blue. Couple hundred cars all lit up with purple and pink...looked stupid so I went blue and once everybody saw me driving around with blue everything (from underbody to interior flashing bars with the music to even blue strobes while driving (sometimes when going down "the strip") they all turned blue and red. So that way the cops couldn't do anything about it anyways. Besides...the only reason blue and red are illegal is because they are the colors of the cops. Most of the cops around here understand that us "kids" aren't trying to inpersonate cops, we just want to customize our cars and have fun showing them off. Besides...I don't want to be driving around with them on all the time...mostly just for shows and to show my friends.

Yeah I like the LEDs better Tatewaki, but I already have a set from way back when and I also promised the Mrs. that I wouldn't buy anything more for my car and just use what I have (I already have tons of crap). What is cheapest you can get them though? I would just want blue ones. Nothing fancy just plain blue. Post some pics of your LEDs if you get them. I want to see how much brighter they are. Also...what are some suggestions for the interior? I am open for suggestions.

I have tons of time on my hands Mr. . Especially come time in March over Spring Break, I don't work over breaks so I will have a full week to do nothing. Even the Mrs. will be off to school that week. I need something to do. My house is ssoo boring. I have done this Christmas Break is watch movies, take the Mrs. out, and search the internet for 2002 3.2TL Type-S around my area to buy along with talking on here and finding mods to do. So believe me, I have plenty of time. Besides...there is a place in a city near me that might end up doing the wiring/installation for the turn signals/parking lights switch. I'll let you know about the headlights when time gets closer. Thanks again for that Mr. .

Thanks all for reading and posting. Cheers All!

Jatses
jatses@email.com
Old 01-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What about hyper white signals and neons?
Old 01-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by vsop TL-S
What about hyper white signals and neons?
Hyper White in the rear is illegal, how often you will get pulled over for it depends on how serious your local police dept is. Neons are also the same way, in Orlando cops will pull your ass over for red or blue. Other colors they don't seem to care. Hyper white in the front is ok in most states as long as you have the an amber side reflector. I'm speaking in general, best thing to do is check with your local law enforcement agency and see what is legal and what isn't.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Banned

I don't get the neon light kit stuff, but to each their own.

As to the turn signals, if you drive through Florida, you will get a ticket as the law clearly states that only emergency vehicles are allowed to have either red or blue flashing lights. I think many other states have similar laws regarding turn signals, or any other type of flashing lights in red or blue.