Blitzsafe Alternative (USA Spec PA11-HON)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGala
Well, good news, my radio took the code after I removed the fuse for 15 minutes.

That happened to me the first day I installed it...where it wouldn't accept the code (tried it 6 times). Got home, pulled the fuse, and the HU reset and accepted the code the first time.

Since then, I've gotten the error code a couple of times, but have been able to put in my code and the HU accepted it right away.

Seems like this will be an ongoing thing, I guess. I'll probably just live with it until I sell the car...of course, I don't know when that will be. Lol...that'll probably happen right after the tranny dies...
Old 07-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there a certain fuse to pull? i see all the numbers and yellow tabs, is there a certain one that links to the HU?

my HU is comin up wit te ERR message, i tried unpluggin the battery and then reentering the code but no good. Can anyone also post on how to pull the antenna? i feel like i need that too in case the fuse trick doesnt work.

*sigh been without radio for the past 3 days... HELPPP!!!

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:57 PM
10th Gear

Will this work with a 2000 TL?

I have a 2000 TL without navigation and it only has a single disc player. Will this device work with my car? I read the entire thread and I wasn't able to find anything with the search function that says it'll work with a 2000 TL non/navi.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Racer

The fuse pull trick didnt work for me on the error problem. I guess the next option for me is the antenna pull. does anyone know whats the dyi or the procedure to do that? today makes the 4th day without music and this is gettin on my nerves. i've put in the radio code at least 50 times already [ErrorErr appearing 5x-6x].

...HELP... would bringing the car back to the dealer do anything? btw i have an 2003 acura tl-p.

thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150428

And a good suggestion:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150505
Old 07-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Racer

thanks AMgala!! i will try to do this tomorrow. i would like to do the antenna extension option, would you know where i can get them from? and are there different kinds or is there an universal one? i figure i mite as well get this done in one shot... so wont have to ever reach back there again.

Thanks so much!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by daNNiebOixDD
thanks AMgala!! i will try to do this tomorrow. i would like to do the antenna extension option, would you know where i can get them from? and are there different kinds or is there an universal one? i figure i mite as well get this done in one shot... so wont have to ever reach back there again.

Thanks so much!
This is the eBay link Acutee showed me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Antenna-Extens...QQcmdZViewItem
(if the link gets deleted, search for "antenna extension cable" on eBay)

I believe I read somewhere that our antennas have a standard Motorola style connector, so you can also search for that.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:17 PM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had USASpec adapter for a while now.. maybe 10 months. I recently picked up a apple iphone and the usaspec adapter plays the music from the ipod part of the iphone perfectly. Charging the iphone with the usaspec doesnt seem to work at all tho Just thought I would share.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

Acura TL Year?

I also have the iPhone and have been reading this thread. It would seem great if this worked for just music with the USA Spec PA11-Hon, I'm not altogether clear if its compatible with the 1999, let alone the iPhone.

Guess we will be awaiting more on this integration.

In the meantime, I'm going to try the Griffin SmartDeck with my iPhone on a 1999 Acura TL until we get some additional info. I'm hoping this works.

Anyone with a second gen TL used the Griffin cassette SmartDeck?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Advanced

While this seems to be exactly what I was looking for to put in my 03 Tl w/Nav so that I get better, clearer sound from my Ipod, I am not going to buy it until this whole "Err" message thing is cleared up. I am not going to drop $110+ for something that requires me to pull the fuse and enter my radio code every time it stops working.

Just my $0.02
Old 08-04-2007, 02:11 AM
TLingggggggg

Originally Posted by yosarian
While this seems to be exactly what I was looking for to put in my 03 Tl w/Nav so that I get better, clearer sound from my Ipod, I am not going to buy it until this whole "Err" message thing is cleared up. I am not going to drop $110+ for something that requires me to pull the fuse and enter my radio code every time it stops working.

Just my $0.02

Well I dont believe you have to pull a fuse or enter your radio code everytime the "Err" message pops up. If I'm not mistaken, I believe all you have to do is turn off your radio and or unplug the ipod and replug it in and turn on the radio again. That shouldnt be much trouble at all. I like the USASPEC and I don't think you would regret buying it at all as it is easy to install and the sound quality and the steering wheel controls are good.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:11 AM
Burning Brakes

^^
That is exactly what i do, no problems for me.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced

My thing is that for something like this should just work. You should have to pull fuses, or shut off the radio or unplug something. For the money you pay, the expectation that it will work as advertised is understandable. </rant>
That being said, I would like to get one because it would be light years better then the $20 Griffin FM modulator I am using now. It has started having serious trouble over coming the FM stations on the extremes of my radio dial and is really pissing me off.

So I was thinking through this "Err" message problem over the weekend. Basically it takes logical segmented problem solving. What are the parts that make up this solution and how can we isolate the source that is causing the problem? And how often does it happen? On a regular basis or randomly?

Radio: I don't believe it is the radio based on the fact that no one in recent memory has had this Err problem with the radio on its own. USASPEC may claim it is, but I think it's their way of pushing the problem onto something else. It's a crappy response, but that's how it is.

PA11-HON: I find it hard to believe that a company would market and sell a product that was flawed in such a way that makes it, at best, irritating to use, and at worst, something that has frustrated and angry customers demanding their money back and telling their friends "This sucks, Blitsafe is better."

Ipod: The last piece to this puzzle. I don't know what versions/types of Ipods others have (I know one person said they have a 5th gen.) but it makes me wonder if it is something that is confined to only certain later years or is spread out over all the ipods. I also wonder what version of Ipod they used to develop this product, and the other models for other cars. I am especially interested in what firmware version they developed against for this product. I have a 3rd gen. Photo Ipod with firmware version 1.2.1. Would others post their Ipods and their firmware versions, as well as the frequency of the "Err" instance, in this topic to see if there is a common thread?
Also, if there is anyone in the Metro DC area with this device who wouldn't allow me to experiment with my ipod and your box, that would be awesome. (When I mean experiment, I mean driving around with it on to see if I can replicate the problem.)
Old 08-06-2007, 08:18 AM
TLingggggggg

Originally Posted by yosarian
My thing is that for something like this should just work. You should have to pull fuses, or shut off the radio or unplug something. For the money you pay, the expectation that it will work as advertised is understandable. </rant>
That being said, I would like to get one because it would be light years better then the $20 Griffin FM modulator I am using now. It has started having serious trouble over coming the FM stations on the extremes of my radio dial and is really pissing me off.

So I was thinking through this "Err" message problem over the weekend. Basically it takes logical segmented problem solving. What are the parts that make up this solution and how can we isolate the source that is causing the problem? And how often does it happen? On a regular basis or randomly?

Radio: I don't believe it is the radio based on the fact that no one in recent memory has had this Err problem with the radio on its own. USASPEC may claim it is, but I think it's their way of pushing the problem onto something else. It's a crappy response, but that's how it is.

PA11-HON: I find it hard to believe that a company would market and sell a product that was flawed in such a way that makes it, at best, irritating to use, and at worst, something that has frustrated and angry customers demanding their money back and telling their friends "This sucks, Blitsafe is better."

Ipod: The last piece to this puzzle. I don't know what versions/types of Ipods others have (I know one person said they have a 5th gen.) but it makes me wonder if it is something that is confined to only certain later years or is spread out over all the ipods. I also wonder what version of Ipod they used to develop this product, and the other models for other cars. I am especially interested in what firmware version they developed against for this product. I have a 3rd gen. Photo Ipod with firmware version 1.2.1. Would others post their Ipods and their firmware versions, as well as the frequency of the "Err" instance, in this topic to see if there is a common thread?
Also, if there is anyone in the Metro DC area with this device who wouldn't allow me to experiment with my ipod and your box, that would be awesome. (When I mean experiment, I mean driving around with it on to see if I can replicate the problem.)

Well nothing is ever perfect you know or else Acura should just not of sold the TL's from 99-03 as their transmission design was shotty
Old 08-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

Hey guys...i got the Blitzsafe a year ago for around 60bucks ...when it came out early ...now i think its 70 bucks at enfig.......but here is the problem that i ran into...since the Ipod is just sititng there the wire that connects the interface to teh IPOD just recently broke...i dont know if it is still under warranty or anything but thats why i suggest the new USA spec...i am now looking into deciding b/w the two but those of you deciding b/w blitzsafe and USASpec....do keep this fact in mind .........btw...can i just buy the wire that comes from the blitzsafe unit to the IPOD?
Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

These guys are good to go with all the steering controls intact and I heard its working with the iPhone too now. $135 pretty good.

http://www.icarkits.com/
Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
been searching around for a little bit now and have not been able to determine if the usa spec will work with a 99 TL....i know it says that it work with a 2000, i was wondering if anybody here has tried it on a 99? there's not much of a difference between 1999 and 2000 in this respect(as far as i know).....
Old 08-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i meant 2001, not 2000
Old 09-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Any updates to the ER problem with the USASpec and the Ipod Classic? 03 TL w/ Navi.

Currently have Blitzsafe w/ "Y" splitter for Ipod/XM but I want steering wheel control for the Ipod. Is the money worth it or should I lean towards the Dice?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhowieii
Any updates to the ER problem with the USASpec and the Ipod Classic? 03 TL w/ Navi.

Currently have Blitzsafe w/ "Y" splitter for Ipod/XM but I want steering wheel control for the Ipod. Is the money worth it or should I lean towards the Dice?
no update that i know of ... it's a weird problem ... i go a month without issues then i'm hit with the Error issue almost everyday for a week, then it goes away. I'm intersted if those not having problems are using the older ipods .... ihave the 5th gen 30gig video.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:24 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhowieii

Just curious, are you using two blitzsafe units, one Ipod, and one aux, or are you just using the aux with two RCA inputs with a splitter?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Using 1 Blitzsafe into head unit, "Y" adaptor splitting into two RCA to 1/8" jacks. XM Roady mounted with ProClip and Ipod in cup holder with Belkin holder with ipod power coming from center console lighter plug and retractable Ipod Power clip. Ran 1/8" male jack out of wood trim on passenger side that hides very well in between passenger seat and trim when not in use. I can only use 1 device at a time but I have the option to choose. I have pics of the install if you want them. All XM wires are hidden behind trim.

I plan on using a USASpec now and mount the Ipod and XM on a Kuda, and mount the Ipod on a Dice Ipod Cradle and the Roady just below with the existing mount from the ProClip.
Should give me a cleaner install and the option to keep both units on and switch back and forth using head unit.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Advanced

a bit confused?
so with the iphone- will the USA spec work? (my iphone works w/ the older ipod interface for the kenwood aftermarket stereo on my older civic-so my guess-yes?)

also if i have the 6cd in dash stereo in my 02 tl :-/ can someone confirm that it'll allow the steering audio controls to change tracks/albums on a 2nd gen ipod nana and /or the iphone.
thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Advanced

will be getting it tomm
1-anyone got the instructions to install it w/o removing my radio(simply connecting the little plug in the back on the passenger side???) ?

2- Do i power down (removing the battery connection ) when installing the ipod USA spec unit??
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Advanced

very excellence, and love the hybrid feature-which does work with the iphone
Old 12-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Race Director

I have a 2000 TL right now with the Tape deck hook up and I think its time to upgrade. The wire on the tape adaptor is shot and you have to get it to set in just the right position to play music and even when it does it only comes out of the right speakers. Needless to say the thing is dead (and yes I know its the tape adaptor because it works fine with CDs and radio). So basically I decided one of these Ipod hook ups should be on my christmas list.

So I was thinking about upgrading to this USA Spec. The problem is now I use my car to school a lot and thats a 180 mile drive. I am reading alot of problems of an error message and needless to say I dont want to get 20 miles into the drive and have no music at all the rest of the way.

The thing I liked most about the USA spec is you can have the wheel controls (one of the best features of the car) control the ipod. So I was wondering if USA spec has fixed the error problem or I noticed the USA spec is around 110 so I was wondering if there is something with a similar price that also lets you control the ipod with the steering wheel controls? Any help is much appericated.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Race Director

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-Acura-Auxi...QQcmdZViewItem

What about these? Anyone have one of these and would I be able to get wheel controls with this?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Cruisin'

icarkits.com

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
I have a 2000 TL right now with the Tape deck hook up and I think its time to upgrade. The wire on the tape adaptor is shot and you have to get it to set in just the right position to play music and even when it does it only comes out of the right speakers. Needless to say the thing is dead (and yes I know its the tape adaptor because it works fine with CDs and radio). So basically I decided one of these Ipod hook ups should be on my christmas list.

So I was thinking about upgrading to this USA Spec. The problem is now I use my car to school a lot and thats a 180 mile drive. I am reading alot of problems of an error message and needless to say I dont want to get 20 miles into the drive and have no music at all the rest of the way.

The thing I liked most about the USA spec is you can have the wheel controls (one of the best features of the car) control the ipod. So I was wondering if USA spec has fixed the error problem or I noticed the USA spec is around 110 so I was wondering if there is something with a similar price that also lets you control the ipod with the steering wheel controls? Any help is much appericated.
Well I went with these guys and for the money, I think it's excellent. First, it works with the Iphone so I'm guessing it will work with new versions as well. Second, it does allow you to use the steering wheel controls.

Setup is easy. They have a website that shows you how to set the jumpers for your care, in this case the TL and you connect it and you have battery power and music for as long as you go.

I've been very happy with this product.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
USA Spec has quit responding to my emails. I still have this sporatic issue of getting the "Err" message which requires the fuse removal and entering security code again. It is pretty sad when I have my security code memorized. This would be perfect is the "Err" message would just go away.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Race Director

jpadilla- I am sorry to hear that they are donig that to you. It sounds like to me they know something is wrong with there product and they dont want to admit it. The thing with me is even if the err message only comes up every now and then if it comes up 30 minutes into a 2 1/2 to 3 hour driver thats at least 2 hours I am without my any kind of music. I hope the company issues a recall or something because that truely is a bummer.

romanesq- I have actually been looking at that website for awhile and I think that is the way to go for me. The Ipod2car seems to be a very good product. It is a little more money but since I plan on having the car for at least 4 more years its probably worth it. I just had a couple questions.
1) I know you can use wheel controls which is awesome but can you also do it on the ipod itself like say if you have a friend in the car?
2) when you push volume up on the wheel does it turn up the volume on the radio or the ipod itself?

Thanks for all of your help its very much appericated.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Cruisin'

Myabe this is the reason for Err messages?? ( as taken from usa spec website ):

http://usaspec.com/ipod.html

Yes we work on the new iPhone, iTouch and
Classic models!
Please note, due to software changes in the new iPods, the new Iphone, iTouch, and Classic work fine in the direct mode, but do not work in our new Hybrid mode!

Notice – We recommend not upgrading to iPod firmware update 1.1
This upgrade may cause operation problems with our Hybrid mode!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sluudog
I have a 2000 TL without navigation and it only has a single disc player. Will this device work with my car? I read the entire thread and I wasn't able to find anything with the search function that says it'll work with a 2000 TL non/navi.
I have the same question
Old 03-13-2009, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear

Err message still happening?

Are any of you USA Spec PA11-HON users still getting the Error code on the radio, or has this problem been resolved? If you are, when did you buy your device? I've seen so many good reviews on this product, but don't want to have to deal with the Error code on the radio. Thanks.

2002 TL-S, no navi
Old 03-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 00 TL without nav and the single disc player. Works with the PA11-HON perfectly.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:06 PM
2003 TL-S A-SPEC

i'm getting ERR1 on my headunit when i try going from FM to CD. sometimes CD works most of the time it doesn't (1 through 6).

I'll still be getting that error if i install the USAspec right?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

Most of the time my USA Spec unit works fine. Occassionally it will get all tangled up and lock up my radio, requiring the security code to be entered. (That's a PIA since the radio doesn't always take the code.) I've found that I have better luck if I take everything slow--i.e. connect the iPone, press CD, let the iPhone do it's thing, then when it's up and running, change to whatever playlist or app I'm interested in. When I'm done, I always switch back to FM before I turn off the car. Otherwise, the next time I go back to the car & radio, the controls don't seem to work quite right. Almost like it's still looking for the input from the iPhone.

'02 TL-S, no navi
USA Spec PA11-HON
Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIGTUFFGUY
i'm getting ERR1 on my headunit when i try going from FM to CD. sometimes CD works most of the time it doesn't (1 through 6).

I'll still be getting that error if i install the USAspec right?
I have the same question, as I want to install the USA spec, but have been getting errors on disk 2 and disk 6 of my CD player lately. Pretty much have to hit CD while banging on the front of the CD player, which seems to "right" whatever is wrong, which I assume to be some sort of alignment issue of the disk. Annoying as hell to take 5 minutes and hitting CD 50 times to get a CD to play or eject.

My guess is that the problem with the CD player would not cause the issue, since you would be going to the auxilary, not CD, right?