Blitzsafe Alternative (USA Spec PA11-HON)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
sounds like something is not connected correctly. Maybe the connector into head unit is not all the way in. Is your IPOD charging at least? Put the PA11-HON in playlist mode (factory setting) and check if it readys HONDA on the ipod display. If it's not charging or displaying HONDA in playlist mode then either your PA11 is defective or it's not plugged into the HU.

Where did you buy your at? Hope not Ebay.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 AM
TLingggggggg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ebay Ones are no good? I wanted to get it on ebay but didnt check instead I just paid alittle more to get ti faster from enfig since they were in Jersey and I was in NYC
Old 03-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AcuraBuddy
The Ebay Ones are no good? I wanted to get it on ebay but didnt check instead I just paid alittle more to get ti faster from enfig since they were in Jersey and I was in NYC

From ebay you just dont get a warranty and you never know what you're buying ... someone else could have fried theirs and then put it on ebay, then act dumb when you tell them it does not work. You always take risk buying on ebay instead of retail.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jpadilla
sounds like something is not connected correctly. Maybe the connector into head unit is not all the way in. Is your IPOD charging at least? Put the PA11-HON in playlist mode (factory setting) and check if it readys HONDA on the ipod display. If it's not charging or displaying HONDA in playlist mode then either your PA11 is defective or it's not plugged into the HU.

Where did you buy your at? Hope not Ebay.
I am using the interface (purchased from Enfig) to connect a satellite radio. The satellite powers up so I think the connection is fine. I'm wondering if the Bose needs something to tell it that there is a device connected to the vacant port?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Pro

so your using the aux input of the PA11? Did you flip the switch to enable the use of aux input?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:35 PM
6th Gear

Curious...

I am a bit confused. I have seen several sites that say the USA Spec is not compatible with the factory stereo that has 6 CD Changer In-Dash. Has anyone installed the USA Spec on this set-up? USA Spec manual on-line is not real clear! Seems that this is the best one but also looked at the NEO hook up. Thoughts??? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Pro

well, if you look on USA SPEC's site, it says it is. I ordered mine thru crutchfield even though they said it was not compatable and it works ... only issue i have is that every now and then i get prompted to enter the security code ... I need to rember to give them a call about this.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 AM
6th Gear

Thanks

well, if you look on USA SPEC's site, it says it is. I ordered mine thru crutchfield even though they said it was not compatable and it works ... only issue i have is that every now and then i get prompted to enter the security code ... I need to rember to give them a call about this.
Thanks for the help. I am going to order and I'll let you know about radio code. Could this be an issue with the firmware??
Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 PM
6th Gear

IPOD Integration

Just want everyone to know that I just had the PA11-HON from USA Spec installed today...Sound is incredible even with the factory stereo. Spent a total of $220 for part and install. SO FAR SO GOOD SO at this point I would recommend!! Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 PM
TLingggggggg

Wow how come it cost so much? You didnt install yourself?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrumpire27
Just want everyone to know that I just had the PA11-HON from USA Spec installed today...Sound is incredible even with the factory stereo. Spent a total of $220 for part and install. SO FAR SO GOOD SO at this point I would recommend!! Thanks.
$220? you could have saved at least $80 by installing yourself ... oh well. Has anyone found a good EQ setting on the iPod for Rap music? EQ off sounds flat, other settings so far sound like crap.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Nitrous TL

Can this also be used to run audio from a player to the stock head unit? I'm thinking iof adding a 1/2 din flip out screen/player but want the sound to go to the stock head unit. Will this work?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 AM
TLingggggggg

I believe so since there is another output other then the ipod one on it. go check enfigcarstereo website to make sure.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
$220? you could have saved at least $80 by installing yourself ... oh well. Has anyone found a good EQ setting on the iPod for Rap music? EQ off sounds flat, other settings so far sound like crap.
I leave the EQ off, set the Bass to 6 and the treble to 4 on the headunit. I found that with increased bass on the headunit, almost ever EQ on the ipod distorted the music.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:55 AM
On The Road

So - Crutchfield and USA SPEC's website does not list a 2003 Acura as working with this device. Obviously it's working for most of you. Does it work perfectly fine? I saw someone said they have had to reset their radio code a few times since installing it... ?? Is this a worthwile product or should I expect to have any issues with it?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by malingator
Can this also be used to run audio from a player to the stock head unit? I'm thinking iof adding a 1/2 din flip out screen/player but want the sound to go to the stock head unit. Will this work?
no reason it shoud not work ... as long as your screen has RCA outputs you can plug them into the aux port in the USASPEC and change to disk #6 as the CD1 source. You will not have fader control, but who the hell uses the fader and balance adjustments anyway?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by seanmcd
So - Crutchfield and USA SPEC's website does not list a 2003 Acura as working with this device. Obviously it's working for most of you. Does it work perfectly fine? I saw someone said they have had to reset their radio code a few times since installing it... ?? Is this a worthwile product or should I expect to have any issues with it?
USA SPEC site list the PA11-HON as compatible with the 2003 TL non-navi
http://usaspec.com/app_guide_2007.pdf
Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the only thing that sucks about this device is no support for the external cd changer pass thru I am going to install it anyway and remove my blitzsafe seeing as i dont use my changer anymore and will let everyone know how it works.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:17 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by seanmcd
So far it is working fine. No error codes and the sound is great. Definitely recommend.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 AM
6th Gear

I know but really don't have the time or expertise. It was worth it to spend the money. After watching it be done I figured that I could do it. Oh well.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:43 AM
TLingggggggg

Its all good dude, sometimes you have to pay a little to learn a little. If you feel you have learned something from the extra few bucks you paid to get it installed then its well worth the money spent. The only thing you might run into as I did was that the the USASPEC sometimes stalls and you'll just have to power off and on the head unit.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by AcuraBuddy
Its all good dude, sometimes you have to pay a little to learn a little. If you feel you have learned something from the extra few bucks you paid to get it installed then its well worth the money spent. The only thing you might run into as I did was that the the USASPEC sometimes stalls and you'll just have to power off and on the head unit.
Thanks. The only thing I have noticed so far is that the IPOD resets when car turned off and then come back. Does not stay on song when stop. Minor inconvenience. Other than this I am more than happy. If anyone is looking I definitely think that this is the product to buy. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my setup

The only problem is, that every time i mess with the dash and shift console those light bulbs end up not working

(shift indicator, coin holder & fog light switch)
Old 03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
TLingggggggg

Did you drill somewhere in the middle console to get the plug coming up the middle cuz I have mine coming from the side. CROTCHFIELD, come order from us mwhahhaha ok lol hmm. So far this baby is good anyway but nice setup there
Old 03-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Advanced

Thanks,

There's a hole next to the cup holder, where the wire for the light inside the storage compartment comes in. That's where i ran the ipod wire thru.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Well, based on this thread, I ordered a PA11-HON from the Canadian distributor for USA Spec (as listed on their website).

I'll be picking it up on Wed., and use this thread as a general guide to install the unit. Just a couple of questions to those of you who installed them:

1) In order to remove the wood grain trim on the passenger side of the centre console, did you guys just pry it off w/ a covered flathead screwdriver (as per the Dension DIY listed in the second or third post)? I'm always so worried about snapping plastic pieces.

2) I've noticed this error code/resetting the HU problem pop up w/ a few of you. A couple of you had to actually reset the HU (i.e. pull the fuse) and enter the code, but it looks like a couple of you just turned the HU and/or iPod power on and off and that did the trick. Just so I can be prepared, how do I get the radio code for my HU? Do I have to contact Acura or is it listed somewhere in the owner's manual?

Thanks for any info, guys. I appreciate the help and I agree that this forum is an amazing resource in general.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by GQstyle
Well, based on this thread, I ordered a PA11-HON from the Canadian distributor for USA Spec (as listed on their website).

I'll be picking it up on Wed., and use this thread as a general guide to install the unit. Just a couple of questions to those of you who installed them:

1) In order to remove the wood grain trim on the passenger side of the centre console, did you guys just pry it off w/ a covered flathead screwdriver (as per the Dension DIY listed in the second or third post)? I'm always so worried about snapping plastic pieces.

2) I've noticed this error code/resetting the HU problem pop up w/ a few of you. A couple of you had to actually reset the HU (i.e. pull the fuse) and enter the code, but it looks like a couple of you just turned the HU and/or iPod power on and off and that did the trick. Just so I can be prepared, how do I get the radio code for my HU? Do I have to contact Acura or is it listed somewhere in the owner's manual?

Thanks for any info, guys. I appreciate the help and I agree that this forum is an amazing resource in general.
1) Yes, but very carefully.

2) There should be a small white card (the size of a credit card) on the inside of your Acura owner's manual case with a 5 digit number (each digit ranges from 1-6). That is your security code. If you have navi there will be another code for that.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Instructor

well based on this thread I just went and purchased the USA Spec. Will let you know how it goes when it arrives.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMGala
1) Yes, but very carefully.

2) There should be a small white card (the size of a credit card) on the inside of your Acura owner's manual case with a 5 digit number (each digit ranges from 1-6). That is your security code. If you have navi there will be another code for that.

Thanks AMGala! I'll check my owner's manual to make sure it's there. I bought my TL-S used from Acura, so I'm hoping card w/ the codes was included.

As for prying off the wood trim, any tips? I.e. Are there certain areas where the clips are? Is there any better way to get the trim off?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by GQstyle
Thanks AMGala! I'll check my owner's manual to make sure it's there. I bought my TL-S used from Acura, so I'm hoping card w/ the codes was included.

As for prying off the wood trim, any tips? I.e. Are there certain areas where the clips are? Is there any better way to get the trim off?
If you don't have that card in your owner's manual case, sometimes the code is written on the side of your glovebox (after opening it), or sometimes it is on a sticker underneath one of the fusebox covers in your engine bay. On my old TL the code was underneath the fusebox cover in the top left of my engine bay.

As far as tips for removing the trim, I followed the DIY instructions and everything worked out fine. I installed it a few months ago so I don't remember exactly where the clips are underneath the wood trim piece, but just start out giving it a little bit of twist pressure, and slowly increase until part of it pops off. If I remember correctly, try to pry it up from an area closer to the stereo, not from the area closer to the arm rest. And don't forget, you have to lift up the arm rest (as if you are accessing the larger storage area) before you try to pry up the trim.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info, AMGala! I'll be installing this on the weekend, so I'll definitely keep your tips in mind.

I'll try and take some pics of the results afterwards.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:31 PM

One more thing, if I remember correctly, in the DIY he removes the head unit to install it, but also because he needed to do some other work back there. You don't need to remove the head unit if you have somewhat small and/or flexible hands. Just remove the wood trim piece and the large plastic piece that is on the right side of the head unit (on the left side of the passenger foot well). That should give you (just barely) enough room behind the head unit to reach up and plug in the USA Spec. This way will save you a lot of effort of removing many pieces in order to remove the head unit. But do be careful if you stick your hand behind the head unit because there are some sharp pieces of metal back there. It took me a good 5-6 tries, some hand cramping, and a couple of small scratches to finally plug it in, but it was worth it! Good luck with the install
Old 04-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Good info and I appreciate it! Trust me...I'll slice and dice my hands to squeeze the plug in, if it helps me from removing all of those other pieces (as listed in the DIY). Just picked up the kit today at lunch, so I'll be tackling this on the weekend.

Thanks again, AMGala!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

I installed mine about two wks ago. I wouldn't worry too much about the wood trim snapping or anything, it is a pretty rigid piece. I started to pry from the side closest to the armrest per the DIY and it came off pretty easily.

Also, I have no idea how people reached in the back of the head unit and just plugged it in. I have pretty small hands and was unable to do it after trying for like 20 mins and scratchin up my hand pretty bad. I DO however suggest that you try to go the route of reaching behind b/c having to pull out the entire HU took more than double the time i'd say.

Either way, the USA Spec is def. an awesome awesome add-on. I travel a lot and having this has made my driving experience 100x's better! Being able to control the ipod from the steering wheel is a big advantage over the blitzsafe and def. an advantage over anything else b/c of sound quality.

Also, anyone ever have either of these problems?

1) track gets stuck on track 1 (6-01)and you can't change the track w/any of the buttons? I found an easy solution...i just press one of the other disc buttons (other than disc 6) and it resets and i can change the tracks again. Not a big deal but was wondering if anyone knew the root cause so I can prevent it altogether.

2) I get weird error codes like "E-20" or "EE"...only solution i found to this is to unplug the ipod and replug. This one does not happen often but when it does, itz just a big nuisance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Pro

I contacted USA spec about my PA11 causing my HU to prompt for security code and sometimes pull the fuse .... happens 2-4 times a week .... he told me it may be a problem with my HU power connection (BS!). He advised me to unplug the USASPEC for a couple of days and see if I still have the problem .... anyone else having this issue?

By the way .... I have mine in direct access mode with the aux input option active ... so Ipod is disc 5 and aux input is disk 6. If using direct access mode might as well activate this option.

If you are not having an issue that I described above can you please tell me which mode you have your USASPEC set to (Direct Access/Playlist and AUX on/off)?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Pro

bricktop .... why did u install ur USASPEC in your dash? i find it better to have under the passengers seat so I can plug in a DVD player etc.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 PM
TLingggggggg

Hmm well I have my mode set to direct cuz it seems like everything moves smoother like that. I kind of want the line coming out the cupholder setup since it looks cleaner like that.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:45 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just installed mine today - took about 45 minutes, mostly because I cleaned all the trim pieces and where the trim meets the console. Works perfectly. I'd have to say the little bitch harness was a pain to insert in the back of the radio, but I found that you can hold it with chopstick fingers and align it with a screwdriver to make it easier.

Oh yeah - never got the "HONDA" on the screen of the iPod, but works nonetheless!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
Just installed mine today - took about 45 minutes, mostly because I cleaned all the trim pieces and where the trim meets the console. Works perfectly. I'd have to say the little bitch harness was a pain to insert in the back of the radio, but I found that you can hold it with chopstick fingers and align it with a screwdriver to make it easier.

Oh yeah - never got the "HONDA" on the screen of the iPod, but works nonetheless!
the "honda" will apear on your ipod when the usaspec is in playlist mode .... please let me know if you start having HU lockup issues or get prompted for security code.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Advanced

I contacted USA spec about my PA11 causing my HU to prompt for security code and sometimes pull the fuse .... happens 2-4 times a week .... he told me it may be a problem with my HU power connection (BS!). He advised me to unplug the USASPEC for a couple of days and see if I still have the problem .... anyone else having this issue?

By the way .... I have mine in direct access mode with the aux input option active ... so Ipod is disc 5 and aux input is disk 6. If using direct access mode might as well activate this option.

If you are not having an issue that I described above can you please tell me which mode you have your USASPEC set to (Direct Access/Playlist and AUX on/off)?
I have it set to direct access / aux off

Quick Reply: Blitzsafe Alternative (USA Spec PA11-HON)