Blitzsafe Alternative (USA Spec PA11-HON)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:13 AM
TLingggggggg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get the honda thingy also. Hmm plus the chopstick fingers is the only way to get that plug in and also count the number of holes there is to align or else you 'll be chop sticking all day long to get it in there so make sure you count how many holes there are and then slowly move it up and wham your plugged into head unit.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:41 AM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jpadilla
the "honda" will apear on your ipod when the usaspec is in playlist mode .... please let me know if you start having HU lockup issues or get prompted for security code.
Yeah, I'm in direct mode.
Will keep you posted.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Instructor

So, I spent last weekend dog sick, and plan on tackling the USA Spec install this weekend (should be warmer weather too).

Re: the radio code (cue AMGala). I found the sticker on the side of my glove box as suggested. However, I also found the white card with a some stickers (unattached) in the owner's manual case. However, there are a few numbers on the stickers...and they're all different. Plus, all of them are slightly different than the sticker on the side of the glove box. So, now I have to figure out which is the radio code.

How many digits are there to a radio code? Also, does the radio eventually lock you out if you enter the wrong code after a certain amount of times?

TIA
Old 04-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by GQstyle
So, I spent last weekend dog sick, and plan on tackling the USA Spec install this weekend (should be warmer weather too).

Re: the radio code (cue AMGala). I found the sticker on the side of my glove box as suggested. However, I also found the white card with a some stickers (unattached) in the owner's manual case. However, there are a few numbers on the stickers...and they're all different. Plus, all of them are slightly different than the sticker on the side of the glove box. So, now I have to figure out which is the radio code.

How many digits are there to a radio code? Also, does the radio eventually lock you out if you enter the wrong code after a certain amount of times?

TIA
The radio code is 5 digits (all from 1-6). If you enter it too many times and you are wrong, just turn the car off for an hour and then try again. Sometimes you will have to disconnect the battery for it to reset. Some people have had to pull out the antenna for it to take to the code, but I've yet to have to do that. I just keep entering the code until it takes. Again, good luck with the install!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMGala
The radio code is 5 digits (all from 1-6). If you enter it too many times and you are wrong, just turn the car off for an hour and then try again. Sometimes you will have to disconnect the battery for it to reset. Some people have had to pull out the antenna for it to take to the code, but I've yet to have to do that. I just keep entering the code until it takes. Again, good luck with the install!

Thanks AMGala! I'll check which of the numbers meet that criteria and use that (if I have to).
Old 04-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Alright, so I'm trying to install my USA Spec right now, and I'm having trouble removing the plastic kick panel on the passenger side. I removed the wood trim, unscrewed the three screws on the plastic panel that hold it to the centre console...but it still won't come off. It seems like it's attached to something up near the glove compartment.

Are there any screws up there that need to come off? The panel simply won't budge. FYI, mine's an 03TL-S non-navi...not sure if that makes a difference.

Hopefully some of you guys who have done this are on the board and can help me out quickly! Thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
bringin lead

Alright, so I'm trying to install my USA Spec right now, and I'm having trouble removing the plastic kick panel on the passenger side. I removed the wood trim, unscrewed the three screws on the plastic panel that hold it to the centre console...but it still won't come off. It seems like it's attached to something up near the glove compartment.

Are there any screws up there that need to come off? The panel simply won't budge. FYI, mine's an 03TL-S non-navi...not sure if that makes a difference.

Hopefully some of you guys who have done this are on the board and can help me out quickly! Thanks guys!
It should "pull" out from near where it meets the glove box - there are tabs that slip out of holes up there. Pull the part near the back seat side out and down and it should pop right out.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 PM
02' 3.2TL-s /w NAVI

So this doesn't work with people who have a NAVI?

i'm interested in getting one after reading all of these posts
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
8th Gear

USA Spec PA11-HON w/factory nav?

Will this unit work with the factory navigation system?
2003 3.2TL-S NAVI
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Advanced

it works for me, and i have navi. I have an 02 Type-S.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Dang!

I just got the balls to try and install my PA11, but I just went over that install link, and it looks like that's way too much unscrewing for me to handle.

I'd surely mess something up.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:06 PM
bringin lead

Originally Posted by Odrod
Dang!

I just got the balls to try and install my PA11, but I just went over that install link, and it looks like that's way too much unscrewing for me to handle.

I'd surely mess something up.
Nah - it's pretty easy. You should give it a try.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 AM
8th Gear

Question

Rave reviews on this PA-11 thing!! Will it work on an 03 TL-S w/NAVI?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

Yup, works with NAVI. I just installed today in my 03 TL-S /Nav... took about 20 min.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Alright, so I finally installed my USASpec unit. It was a bitch to get the harness in, but I got it to go after about 20 mins of trying. Lined it up with my fingers, then used a flathad to push it in.

I tested it w/ all the trim pieces off and it worked fine. Then, I turned the car off, put everything back together, restarted the car...and of course, I get "Err" flashing on my head unit!!!

Do I enter my radio code right from this point? Or do I have to pull the fuse to reset the radio? Also, where is the fuse for the radio located? I really hope this doesn't become a regular thing...

Really appreciate any help with this!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 AM

Yeah you can enter the code now. Just keep entering it until it takes. Some people have had to disconnect their antenna for it to accept the code, but I've never had to do that between my old and my new TL and the numerous times I've had to put the code in.

Another thing, if you see Er-01 or something like that, that's not the same as Err. For whatever reason, sometimes it gives an Er-01 code, and you have to disconnect your iPod for a few seconds and reconnect it and in most cases the error goes away.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Alright, so I finally installed my USASpec unit. It was a bitch to get the harness in, but I got it to go after about 20 mins of trying. Lined it up with my fingers, then used a flathad to push it in.

I tested it w/ all the trim pieces off and it worked fine. Then, I turned the car off, put everything back together, restarted the car...and of course, I get "Err" flashing on my head unit!!!

Do I enter my radio code right from this point? Or do I have to pull the fuse to reset the radio? Also, where is the fuse for the radio located? I really hope this doesn't become a regular thing...

Really appreciate any help with this!
Err ... requires you to pull the fuse ... its on the side of the glove box, you'll see the panel with the passenger's door open. Wait for about 30-60 seconds to plug in ... then you'll hear the indash CD changer reset and you'll have to enter your security code. This is the only way I have been able to resolve the Err message.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Instructor

Err ... requires you to pull the fuse ... its on the side of the glove box, you'll see the panel with the passenger's door open. Wait for about 30-60 seconds to plug in ... then you'll hear the indash CD changer reset and you'll have to enter your security code. This is the only way I have been able to resolve the Err message.

So, I got the Err message twice on Sat. (the day I installed the USASpec unit). The second time, I kept entering the radio code (ended up trying it 6 times), but it wouldn't work. I finally pulled the fuse when I got home, let the HU reset, entered the code, and it worked. Of course, I lost all of my radio presets...great.

Just wondering if anyone has found any resolution to this problem, from USASpec or otherwise? I paid CDN$150 for this thing (from USASpec's authorized CDN dealer), scraped a few knuckles installing it, and pretty frustrated that the Err thing happened twice on the first day. When it worked, it was great, but I don't want this Err thing to keep happening.

Seems like this thing happens to some, and not to others. Just my bad luck?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Pro

I was asked to call Jimmy at 626-890-6410. He "thinks" it's a power wire issue and nothing to do with the USASPEC ... BS I say. Call him and say you are having the same issue and I am.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
8th Gear

I am also having the same issue. Spoke with Jimmy at USA-Spec, who claims that the unit will not work properly in an '03 due to the in-dash changer. Also spoke w/Bob at USA-Spec who says it will work!!! When it works, it works great... What's up with these people!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Instructor

This mixed messaging is ridiculous! I remember checking into compatibility before I bought the unit, and the distributor confirmed that it would work.

I love the functionality of the unit (i.e. using radio/steering wheel controls), but the main driver was to get a clear, clean connection from my iPod to the system. We don't really have any empty radio stations in the city here, so the FM transmitter works like crap.

If this thing keeps doing this, I'm going to have to pull it out and get the tape connection unit. No HU controls, but at least I won't have any frustrating error messages and resetting all of my radio presets all of the time!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Everytime I have received the Err message I just turned my car off then turned it back on. That seemed to fix it, it has only happened a couple a few times since I installed mine.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by merkin110
Everytime I have received the Err message I just turned my car off then turned it back on. That seemed to fix it, it has only happened a couple a few times since I installed mine.

Merkin - what year and model do you drive? Do you have the 6-disc, in-dash changer? Also, how long have you had the PA installed?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I drive an 02 TL no Navi with the in dash CD changer. I have had the usa-spec adapter for just under a month and I bought it used.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Pro

03 tl non-navi .... here .... i too checked to make sure it was capatible with my car before i bought it .... i love it when i works and hate it when the "Err" message appears. It sucks becuase I bought mine thru crutchfield a while back for $140.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Pro

people with "ERR" issues ... which Ipod are you using? I have the 5th Gen 30gig video.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:41 PM

people with "ERR" issues ... which Ipod are you using? I have the 5th Gen 30gig video.
Same here. There's no 6th gen, right?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AMGala
Same here. There's no 6th gen, right?
i bought my ipod in January .... 5th gen was the latest one at that time.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 PM
To The Edge & Back

If i remember Correctly Right now their is only the 5.5 Generation Ipod speculation is that there is going to be a full screen ipod, if apple does release one my guess would some time after the iphone
Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 PM

yeah then I have the 5th gen 30 gig video
Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 AM
TLingggggggg

If your afraid of compatibility just call up the places that sell it and ask them. Worst comes to worst you can get a refund hehe at a price though.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Instructor

I have a 2 Gb iPod Nano - not sure what generation it is.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraBuddy
If your afraid of compatibility just call up the places that sell it and ask them. Worst comes to worst you can get a refund hehe at a price though.

I did all of that before I bought the unit, and they told me it was compatible.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
8th Gear

Before you revert back to a cassette connection, I just received this email from DICE Electronics:

My name is Elizabeth and you called some time ago inquiring about our i-pod integration kits for your Acura TL with navigation, and I am letting you know that they are now available for shipping. If you are still interested in purchasing a kit please give me a call my number is stated below. I do need to know one thing what is the year of your car? Please provide that information so that I can better serve you.

Thank you,

Elizabeth

888.342.3999 ext 129

Elizabeth@diceelectronics.com

She has told me that it will work w/2003. Obviously, I have no information on how it will wok with our cars, but I know that DICE in others works well. Hope this helps...
Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 AM
TLingggggggg

Well, I also had my problems with the unit sometimes so I just restarted everything and it worked fine for me. I bought mine from enfig and they were very helpful and good thing they are in Jersey, it saved me the hassle as I was about to drive over there but their shipping was fast as it came in a day.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Perhaps it was fate, but I just yesterday encountered the Err problem again, but this time it's not accepting the code. I'll have to try to remove the fuse and if that doesn't work I'll have to pull the antenna.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

So with everyone here that has the Err message, do you have to remove the fuse in order to get it to work? I just figured out a new method to get rid of the Err message without having to turn my car off then turn it back on. All I have to do now is to turn off my stereo, unplug my ipod, plug it back in, and then turn my stereo back on.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:47 AM
TLingggggggg

So with everyone here that has the Err message, do you have to remove the fuse in order to get it to work? I just figured out a new method to get rid of the Err message without having to turn my car off then turn it back on. All I have to do now is to turn off my stereo, unplug my ipod, plug it back in, and then turn my stereo back on.
Thats exactly what I do also, or else if I'm on the highway and the err message pops up, I'm not pulling over just to restart the car or else that would be hectic haha.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:13 AM

In the past that's all I've had to do, but this time that procedure isn't working.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM

Well, good news, my radio took the code after I removed the fuse for 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Blitzsafe Alternative (USA Spec PA11-HON)