Big gap in the front bumper/grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006 | 07:05 PM
styling on you

Big gap in the front bumper/grill

Hey guys, I just noticed that on my moms 01 TL there's a pretty big gap between the grill and the front bumper. I only noticed it because we parked next to another TL, and there was hardly any gap at all on that one. Since then I've noticed every other TL has no gap either.

From the sides the front bumper fits perfect, but when you get around to the front theres a huge gap...

Anyways I was wondering if there is an easy fix for this and how much it would cost for the dealership to fix the gap.
Old 11-15-2006 | 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

cars probably been in an accident before, it's very hard to line up perfectly after an accident
Old 11-15-2006 | 08:29 PM
I love cars!

I agree. That happened to mine. I had to press the body shop to adjust it properly after the repair. I measured other used TLs and found the gap should be no more than 1/4 inch wide. Mine was more like 5/8 until I had it fixed. Oh, did they bitch about how it wasn't adjustable. Hmmmmm...must've been magic they performed, then. I learned to always go to the same mfr bodyshop if you can.
Old 11-15-2006 | 08:43 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I agree too. Mine has looked lower since my accident and looks even lower now that i have the oem lip.
Old 11-15-2006 | 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

uni body's are hard to adjust after an accident, i had an accord that the front and rear bumper never really lined up perfectly, and the shops that worked on them said that's as good as it's gonna get, b/c they have a certain spec that they get it in, and as long as it's within spec, it's fine, even my suspension on my TL is a lil off, not sure y, but one corner seems lower than the others, the acura dealership changed out my springs/struts, and it was still the same, so they measured it and also said that though it's off a lil, the amount that it's off is within spec of what Acura allows
Old 11-15-2006 | 10:13 PM
styling on you

What the fuckkk!?!?!?! It's been in an accident? What should I do?? Anyone know a good body shop to fix this? The front end gap is terrible. I'll try to post pics by the weekend if possible.

Anyone know a good bodyshop in Los angeles? Also what exactly causes the bumper/grille to not close properly?
Old 11-16-2006 | 12:35 AM
Advanced

Happened to my TL after my accident, you can bend the clips to have it sit a little higher (cheap quick fix, worked for me), or you can just replace the metal bars that hold it, one under the drivers side headlight, and one under the passengers side headlight, that and replace all the clips, should do the trick. Don't know the part numbers, but it's pretty easy to find. Think they're about 40 dollars a piece.
Old 11-16-2006 | 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Relax. Before you get your panties all in a bunch try this....

Look at where the bumper attaches underneath the front grill. There are several metal tabs that must be underneath the bumper for it to align properly. Make sure you don't see those metal tabs above the bumper. The are flat pieces of metal about 2" in width.
Old 11-16-2006 | 12:52 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by fiya
or you can just replace the metal bars that hold it, one under the drivers side headlight, and one under the passengers side headlight
I don't know if your 01 TL and my 03 TL use the same front bumper cover metal support brackets, but if you also notice a gap underneath your headlights too, then it's an easy fix.

Remove the bumper cover, loosen the front bolts on the support brackets, then push it up toward the headlight. Tighten the bolts and reattach one side of the cover to see if it fits. You might have to play around with the bracket until the fitment is perfect.