Best shock sensor to work with Factory Alarm...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 07:30 PM
Ain't No Other...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best shock sensor to work with Factory Alarm...

From my experience in putting in a shock sensor on my factory alarm, I found out that the best sensor is the Clifford Piezo Sensor (Single Stage), cost me 30 dollars, and I mounted the sensor on the sheet metal behind the driver side fuse box with velcro, the sensitivity is a little past the mid point on my adjust knob and is still very sensitive to shock... Also I mounted the sensor so that you can adjust the sensitivity without taking out any console pieces or the fuse box cover...very neat indeed... but does anyone know how long the alarm will go off for, once it goes off??? BTW If you need help, email me!
Old 07-17-2001, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was just wondering that myself. Wouldn't it keep on going and going? I guess noone wants to take their car to an empty lot and try, eh? Ya know.. those w/ too much time? ( Acura3200 ) Anyways. Any pics of how you have it mounted? Link to where we can get this one?
Old 07-18-2001, 12:02 AM
Ain't No Other...

sorry i dont have a digicam, but i mounted on the gray sheet metal that is right behind and above the hood release knob, where the sheet metal slightly slants upward (you will see what im talking about if you remove the fuse box and feel behind it...the sensor I got was at a local alarm shop that deals with clifford alarms...most alarm shops that carry clifford alarms should carry it...ask for (Clifford Piezo Single Stage Shock Sensor)...good luck!

NOBODY is stealing my headlights!!!
Old 07-18-2001, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by liutang
Ya know.. those w/ too much time? ( Acura3200 ) Anyways.
So what are you trying to say?

:p

The factory alarm goes off for 2 minutes then resets itself.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:10 PM
Moo
Pro

Hi,

So you basically install the shock sensor yourself? How difficult was the job? How long did it take?

Thanks,
Moo
Old 07-18-2001, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Acura3200

The factory alarm goes off for 2 minutes then resets itself.
Aha! I knew you would have an answer for us. Just playin with ya dawg. :p
Old 07-18-2001, 02:54 PM
Ain't No Other...

The job wasnt too hard, but I wanted everything right, so when I do make a mistake, I dont have to solder anything or make a mess, so I got tap connectors and tapped into the two wires from the wiring harness, and then got male and female crimps, so that the sensor can be taken on and off within seconds, everything is removable...It wasnt a really hard job, but you just gotta be handy, IMO I did a clean job of installing the sensor...
Old 07-18-2001, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted the following on another thread that dealt with stolen headlights and getting a shock sensor as a solution. Anyone's thoughts?

What's involved in pulling off the headlights? Is there that much banging involved that it would set off the shock sensor?

I just called a local alarm shop that my Acura dealer referred to me when I had a remote starter put into my old Vigor. He asked the same question above.

Another post on this board mentioned a Clifford unit, and my alarm installer agreed that it is a good unit. He also mentioned that Clifford has been bought out by DEI (Viper Systems) and that he could get either a Clifford model or a comparable Viper model for about $20. He wasn't sure about the installation since he didn't have the wiring schematics in front of him to determine the diffculty in running it to the wiring for the hood switch (so that it would activate the horns and lights). He guessed it would run anywhere from $30 - $50.

I then asked him his thoughts on the effectivness of Acura's Immobilizer system, expecting him to trash it and suggesting that I buy something new. Surprisingly he said that the immobilizer systems are VERY effective, stating that along with the immobilizer, the horn activation when an intrusion occurs, and insurance, you don't need much more.

Back to the headlight issue, he did state that you can make the shock sensor very sensitive to maybe prevent a headlight theft, but it would then be going off everytime someone walking by your car sneezed . Also keep in mind that unless you get a dual stage sensor where it will chirp if someone bumps the car,. in most cases, it will go off when someone breaks the glass. At that point, the immobilizer is left to protect your car. The horns and lights will activate once the door is opened. Insurance will take care of any glass or ignition switch damage.

Lastly he mentioned what all of us know. If they want your car, they'll get it (you can always tow it).

I guess I have to credit him for his honestly, he could've tried selling me something.
Old 07-19-2001, 06:21 AM
Instructor

can somone do a FAQ@ on the shock sensor with pics?

can somone do a FAQ on the shock sensor with pics?
Thanks
Old 07-21-2001, 01:51 AM

Thumbs up Pics of shock sensor install!

I would be very interested in seeing some pics of the shock sensor install! Does anyone have the part number for a 2-stage shock sensor?

David
Old 07-21-2001, 02:11 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd like to get one this weekend