Bad brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bad brake dust

i have brake dust that is very hard to remove like its permanent but never have this problem before but i changed my pad last Oct. to Green Stuff but when i had Axxis on for years i never had a problem when Spring comes a nice cleaning and everything is good but now with these pads its hard to get off but the dust will start to dissolve if i rub long enough i was told to try simple green but what really works to dissolve this dust

the wheels are chrome thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CAB NY
i have brake dust that is very hard to remove like its permanent but never have this problem before but i changed my pad last Oct. to Green Stuff but when i had Axxis on for years i never had a problem when Spring comes a nice cleaning and everything is good but now with these pads its hard to get off but the dust will start to dissolve if i rub long enough i was told to try simple green but what really works to dissolve this dust

the wheels are chrome thanks
i use duralast pads and i had no issues or excess brake dust or anything.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I think either some rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover should work.
I dont know if there is a clear coat or something on those rims that might be eaten away, so I would take caution before trying my method out.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 AM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Oil Eater worked on my OEM wheels in the past with dust that was at least a decade old. Didn't get it all, but a lot of it. Don't know if that will damage the finish or not. I have yet to try them on my current wheels and probably never will. Wash those things, barrel and all, every time I wash the car.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
They make rim/wheel cleaner. Spray it on and let it sit a little then rub it off.

Also i have never had a issue with Green stuff pads and brake dust. Axxis Ultimate's were the single worst pad i have ever driven and produced the most brake dust.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

yeah the Axxis are dusty but it came off but these pads it seem to really stay on but doubt its the pads and they have so many different brands of cleaner but are they all the same or is there one that works very well
Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Your best bet is to use some preventative measures. Make sure that the rims are well sealed for starters, then try to keep the dust from building up.....yeah, a bit of elbow grease along the way ! If it gets a bite, than ya gotta try some of the available cleaners to eat the dust away.

"Don't let the dust build up !"
Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
use this

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html
Old 04-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Your best bet is to use some preventative measures. Make sure that the rims are well sealed for starters, then try to keep the dust from building up.....yeah, a bit of elbow grease along the way ! If it gets a bite, than ya gotta try some of the available cleaners to eat the dust away.

"Don't let the dust build up !"
true this winter I didn't drive that much so I didn't wash the car as much which is my fault but I never seen dust build up so hard to remove
Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
Originally Posted by CAB NY
yeah the Axxis are dusty but it came off but these pads it seem to really stay on but doubt its the pads and they have so many different brands of cleaner but are they all the same or is there one that works very well
Use the above or if you want to walk into the store and buy some I personally use the Meguiars Wheel cleaner. I use the Hot Rims Aluminum cleaner on my RH C2s and it works great and hasnt damages the aluminum lips (which is uncleared polished). They have a few types of cleaner for rims depending on what you have

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

thanks I'll give it a try
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Use Sonax wheel cleaner... Thats the best stuff I've used so far...
SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect 16.9 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect 16.9 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 PM
"Here Come The Bulls!"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the exact same problem. My rims actually became "pitted" in some spots despite cleaner(s). I keep the ride showroom clean - virtually all the time. The rims ( no build up permitted) however just dust from EBC Green Stuff pads was enough to mark them permenatley. I'm so picky I got new rims after changing to Akebono Performance pads - quite happy. The dust is not only lower in quantity its actually just dust (wipes right off) - not grit of EBC Green.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 99 SSM TL
I had the exact same problem. My rims actually became "pitted" in some spots despite cleaner(s). I keep the ride showroom clean - virtually all the time. The rims ( no build up permitted) however just dust from EBC Green Stuff pads was enough to mark them permenatley. I'm so picky I got new rims after changing to Akebono Performance pads - quite happy. The dust is not only lower in quantity its actually just dust (wipes right off) - not grit of EBC Green.
Did you get a defective set of pads? Mine have never been gritty nor have they ever done any damage, and i do lapping days with them. After all the years of driving/racing the EBC line of pads are the only ones i will use.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

cant say it was Green Stuff pads but that when this all started front and back wheels
Old 04-10-2013, 01:17 AM
"Here Come The Bulls!"

I purchased the pads based on forum data. Can't say in regards to defective set as I only tried the one - however as I recall just a look at the EBC Green shows visual "specs" vs. the Akebono set - further recall the gritty dust immedeiatley after the pad change. Also recall a feel of the EBC to be rougher than Akebono. The rotors I used and continue to use are Powerslot.

Fsttyms1: I must have read a thousand of your post(LOL) to date. Amazing contribution - super helpful = makes me feel good about my ride. But getting back to topic - I suspect your driving habits are quite a bit harsher than mine. I push the ride typically only on the hwy and pad testing is only real life OMG I have to stop or crash into the rear bumper of the person before me sort of thing. Accordingly the EBC (more of a race pad) more suitable for track etc. That said there is no doubt about the gritty dust & its higher quantity of the EBC green on Powerslot vs. regular ceramic pads - Raybestos rotor (prior) and vs. Akebono on same Powerslot (after EBC).

I only had them on the front - it was obvious. Even noticed it on about wheel well and quarter panel/ front door during ritual hand wash of vehicle.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

I purchased the pads based on forum data. Can't say in regards to defective set as I only tried the one - however as I recall just a look at the EBC Green shows visual "specs" vs. the Akebono set - further recall the gritty dust immedeiatley after the pad change. Also recall a feel of the EBC to be rougher than Akebono. The rotors I used and continue to use are Powerslot.

Fsttyms1: I must have read a thousand of your post(LOL) to date. Amazing contribution - super helpful = makes me feel good about my ride. But getting back to topic - I suspect your driving habits are quite a bit harsher than mine. I push the ride typically only on the hwy and pad testing is only real life OMG I have to stop or crash into the rear bumper of the person before me sort of thing. Accordingly the EBC (more of a race pad) more suitable for track etc. That said there is no doubt about the gritty dust & its higher quantity of the EBC green on Powerslot vs. regular ceramic pads - Raybestos rotor (prior) and vs. Akebono on same Powerslot (after EBC).

I only had them on the front - it was obvious. Even noticed it on about wheel well and quarter panel/ front door during ritual hand wash of vehicle.
Thank you.

As for what you noticed, thats odd. I have never seen that, from any of the vehicles i have put them on. My buddy even put them on his wifes Range Rover HSE Sport with brembos and she loves the pads and they are no longer making her wheels black from dust and having to wash them weekly like her old pads were doing. While Greens work on the track, they are better suited for street than the reds IMHO because they bite harder when cold and dont require as much brake pedal effort and heat. Reds work do great though and offer less dust than the greens. Do you happen to remember what green series you used (there are different models, 2k,6k,7k the later im not sure if they have in our size) which do differ in the amount of dust.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 AM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
May have to look into Green stuff pads for my Brembo's when my OEM pads wear out. This is the Sonax Full effect in action after only 750 miles (it is green but turns purple on contact with grime)

Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM
"Here Come The Bulls!"

No idea of series on the EBC Green. Purchase was made thru Johnston Research and Performance (JRP) up here in the GTA (Toronto Canada).
Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Use the above or if you want to walk into the store and buy some I personally use the Meguiars Wheel cleaner. I use the Hot Rims Aluminum cleaner on my RH C2s and it works great and hasnt damages the aluminum lips (which is uncleared polished). They have a few types of cleaner for rims depending on what you have

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/
thanks tried the Hot Rims Chrome and it worked perfect the dust came right off with a soft wheel brush and i tried different ones and had to rub and had a hard time Hot Rims dust dissolved very quickly

Last edited by CAB NY; 04-11-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

my wheels also became pitted from Oct. to now like 6 months and before no problems the last 2 years