Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Audio System

Ok guys i wanted to see what kind of audio systems you guys have. Whether its a $50 setup or $5,000 setup, i don't care. I love music and my audio system was the first thing to go in my car before the suspension or tail lights . Anyways i need to take new pictures of my setup since i got new subwoofers and a better amp. I will post some links of the stuff i have so you guys can check out the specs on everything. Once i get new pics ill go ahead and post them, until then i will just post up the links.

Subs & Amp
Two 15" POWER T1 Subwoofer
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=
One Earthquake Powerhouse PH5000WD/1 Amp (third to last on the list) 5k max watts
http://www.earthquakesound.com/power...amplifiers.htm

Mids, Highs & Amp
Kicker 04SS562 6.5" speakers (8 total inside)
http://www.bizrate.com/carspeakers/k...areprices.html
SX900.4 Multi-Channel Amplifier
http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC04SX9004

Head unit
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uflP3bK...h&i=500CDA9857

I also have dynamat in the trunk with a Lightning Audio battery and will soon get an equalizer. Oh and btw, i did not purchase any of these products through the links above. I just needed something to show you what it is that i have. I bought everything through my dads friend who owns a Car Audio business. Comments & flames are welcome

And please feel free to show/discuss your audio setup. If you have pics then please show us.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

While this should be in the Audio forum...

I have the 2k3 Bose system with all the bells and whistles that affords!

While some don't like it, I like the sound it provides and I want to keep it installed, while adding a an ipod or a carputer to the mix...
Old 12-27-2006, 08:08 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jfltl00
I have the 2k3 Bose system with all the bells and whistles that affords!

While some don't like it, I like the sound it provides and I want to keep it installed, while adding a an ipod or a carputer to the mix...

Yep same here. It's lightyears ahead of what im used to (stock mustang Mach 460 system). I think that I'll get a blitzsafe for the ipod tho
Old 12-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

The BOSE was great, just not loud enough for me
Old 12-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RidinDurty
Ok guys i wanted to see what kind of audio systems you guys have. Whether its a $50 setup or $5,000 setup, i don't care. I love music and my audio system was the first thing to go in my car before the suspension or tail lights . Anyways i need to take new pictures of my setup since i got new subwoofers and a better amp. I will post some links of the stuff i have so you guys can check out the specs on everything. Once i get new pics ill go ahead and post them, until then i will just post up the links.

Subs & Amp
Two 15" POWER T1 Subwoofer
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=
One Earthquake Powerhouse PH5000WD/1 Amp (third to last on the list) 5k max watts
http://www.earthquakesound.com/power...amplifiers.htm

Mids, Highs & Amp
Kicker 04SS562 6.5" speakers (8 total inside)
http://www.bizrate.com/carspeakers/k...areprices.html
SX900.4 Multi-Channel Amplifier
http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC04SX9004

Head unit
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uflP3bK...h&i=500CDA9857

I also have dynamat in the trunk with a Lightning Audio battery and will soon get an equalizer. Oh and btw, i did not purchase any of these products through the links above. I just needed something to show you what it is that i have. I bought everything through my dads friend who owns a Car Audio business. Comments & flames are welcome

And please feel free to show/discuss your audio setup. If you have pics then please show us.
very nice setup indeed..
Old 12-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
First with that kind of power you will need two batteries in the car,upgrade under the hood and one in the back and also a HO Alternator.

DO u just want it loud?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Give the sub about 3.5 cuft ported tuned to 30 hz....
Old 12-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dnd2984
First with that kind of power you will need two batteries in the car,upgrade under the hood and one in the back and also a HO Alternator.

DO u just want it loud?
I dont need 2 batteries... The setup is fine. These guys represent the KICKER team and have won 1st place in many shows. I think they knew what they were doing when they suggested this setup .

And no i dont just want it loud, the mids and highs sound crisp and i couldnt ask for anything better. Not to mention the bass will knock your ass to next week
Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

I dont need 2 batteries... The setup is fine. These guys represent the KICKER team and have won 1st place in many shows. I think they knew what they were doing when they suggested this setup .

And no i dont just want it loud, the mids and highs sound crisp and i couldnt ask for anything better. Not to mention the bass will knock your ass to next week

Ummm U already have 2 batteries

What did they say about your alt....

ANd I believe I know what I am taking about when it comes to systems, With 3000watts Rms to the sub you must upgrade to a HO alt
Old 12-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Safety Car

what type of box is the T1 going in
Old 12-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Ummm U already have 2 batteries

What did they say about your alt....

ANd I believe I know what I am taking about when it comes to systems, With 3000watts Rms to the sub you must upgrade to a HO alt
Yes i have 2 batteries, only the Lightning Audio battery is powering the system. My setup before was about 1500 watts and it drained the car battery in about 5 months. I asked them if i should buy a bigger alternator and they said it will be fine with the one i have. I never meant to make it seem like i was telling you that you dont know what you're talking about. I was just mentioning that a professional group of people (that have been in the car audio industry for 20 years ) were the guys who told me this would be ok.

The box they built for this setup is huge... They had to build it in 2 pieces. The first piece holds the subs. They placed that one in the trunk first. Bolted it down, then put in the other half. Bolted and sealed the two parts together. There is a rectangular port made on the box which was placed where the hole is on the back seats. Makes a huge difference when i listen to it with the arm rest closed on the back seats compared to when i open them. They said im still loosing bass because i still need a bigger box to accommodate those speakers. The bigger the box, the louder they could be.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Safety Car

If u have a TLp you have a 105 amp alt and the S has 120 alt...

Now I only have one battery running my system. My system gets the charge from the battery, and sends to the amp..The alt charges the battery....NOW you have 2 batteries so the Alt has to work twice as much to keep both battries going.

Look a 2nd opinion does not hurt and Audio shop really dont know it all. There is a differ bewteen building a kicker show car and a everyday car...
Old 12-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

check this out http://www.cardomain.com/ride/184466/9
Old 12-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

Now I only have one battery running my system. My system gets the charge from the battery, and sends to the amp..The alt charges the battery....NOW you have 2 batteries so the Alt has to work twice as much to keep both battries going.

Look a 2nd opinion does not hurt and Audio shop really dont know it all. There is a differ bewteen building a kicker show car and a everyday car...
Thats understandable, and i appreciate the second opinion... but i have had this system for about a year now and i have never had a problem. When i said i just got these new subs and amp, i meant to say they are my new setup comepared to my other "weaker" setup. I've had two systems in my car so far for about 3 years and have never had a problem with the alternator. And after a year of blasting this new setup... i got to be honest with you, i dont think theres a problem with the alternator.

I also understand theres a difference between building a competition system and an everyday system. But what your forgetting is that they run a business where they build regular systems every single day lol.... They do know what they are doing. Its their job.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Just chillen..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How the hell you got 8 speakers in the TL? Did u mount another 6 1/2 next to the stock ones? Thanks, and pics ASAP!

My system current: Stock Bose System
1 L7 Kicker 12"
720RMS Power Acoustic Mono Amp

Future System: - Alpine Type R Component System (4)
or
Alpine Type R Speakers Being Powered by a Amp
- Alpine Head unit ( Dont know which one )
Old 12-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Race Director

stock all the way!!! Actually I wouldnt mind an upgrade I just really dont want to lose my wheel controls. I have gotten so used to them and I really like that feature. In fact while I drive other peoples cars I go to change it the same way and if there is a button at all I normally do something with the cruise control. It really has become a habit for me. So until mine just totally breaks down im keeping it. As for the speakers well I might need an upgrade soon.....
Old 12-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FL3.2TL
How the hell you got 8 speakers in the TL? Did u mount another 6 1/2 next to the stock ones? Thanks, and pics ASAP!
lol i meant between the mids and highs, there are a total of 8 speakers inside. 1 mid and 1 high on each door. The tweeters (highs) mount in the middle of the mids. On my front doors, the Tweeters are placed next to the side mirrors (inside the car of course). I will get pics as soon as i can.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

exactly.
If you try to run that kind of power off the stock electrical system, you wont be getting the full potential from your setup. if you do the math....with 105 amps (and this is max BTW) charging at 14.4 volts....you get 1512 MAX wattage output from the alternator. Just because your amp is 5k watts, doesnt mean a thing when it wont get but about 1/4 the power. Not to mention your alternator has to run the other electrical functions of the car also. And when you add another battery to your setup it is like adding another 10 or 15 amp pull on your alternator just to keep it charged.

oh and here is my setup - a little over 1000 watts and I cant imagine why anyone would want anymore. My car has quite a few rattles because of the bass over the past 2 years. IMO You are going to get sick of your system soon.

But like you are saying, the stock alt will run everything fine, but you basically wasted your money on a high power amp because it is not producing the sound that it is capable of. And dont believe everything a shop is telling you, remember they are trying to sell you a product and if they get you to believe them, they WILL sell you more than you need
Old 12-31-2006, 02:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ou sig
exactly.
If you try to run that kind of power off the stock electrical system, you wont be getting the full potential from your setup. if you do the math....with 105 amps (and this is max BTW) charging at 14.4 volts....you get 1512 MAX wattage output from the alternator. Just because your amp is 5k watts, doesnt mean a thing when it wont get but about 1/4 the power. Not to mention your alternator has to run the other electrical functions of the car also. And when you add another battery to your setup it is like adding another 10 or 15 amp pull on your alternator just to keep it charged.

oh and here is my setup - a little over 1000 watts and I cant imagine why anyone would want anymore. My car has quite a few rattles because of the bass over the past 2 years. IMO You are going to get sick of your system soon.

But like you are saying, the stock alt will run everything fine, but you basically wasted your money on a high power amp because it is not producing the sound that it is capable of. And dont believe everything a shop is telling you, remember they are trying to sell you a product and if they get you to believe them, they WILL sell you more than you need
So what alternator would you guys recommend? I trust them basically because the owner of the shop is one of my dads closest friends. But anyways, what would you recommend?

Oh and BTW, I've had loud systems for 3 years now... i love it and i doubt ill get tired of it lol
Old 12-31-2006, 06:07 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Hello its good to see another member with interest in aftermarket audio. I am currently running a 12" IDMAX V3 sub in a 2.2 cube ported box and Image dynamics 6 1/2" components mounted in the door. The amps are a Pheonix Gold Xenon 200.2 and a Pheonix Gold Titanium 800.1 running to the sub. I went deadening crazy and have done something like 100 sq feet so far between all the doors and trunk. Now I kind of regret adding weight to the car since it hauls but the improvement in insulation and supressing of outside noise makes up for it. The box weighs a ton a guy built it for me out of 1 inch MDF, I want to get rid of it and mount the sub in the rear deck but that would take some work. Matter of fact I want to overhaul the whole thing with some kick panels and seperate midbass speakers in the doors. With that kind of setup you will want to do Big 3 wire upgrade, this thread has details on how to do it. http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...c;f=5;t=007801

If you are not having power issues then no need to get an upgraded alt. Crank your stuff and then take a voltage reading off of the battery. If it stays around 13-14 volts then you should be ok but 3k watts is a lot. Those battery are good so you should be fine with that and second batteries only really help if you play the system with the car off otherwise all the strain is on your alt. If you do need an ho alt I have heard good thing about Iraggi alternators and excessive amperage. They are not too expensive some of these companies that build HO alts charge a ton. Anyway nice setup and rock on!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
So what alternator would you guys recommend? I trust them basically because the owner of the shop is one of my dads closest friends. But anyways, what would you recommend?

Oh and BTW, I've had loud systems for 3 years now... i love it and i doubt ill get tired of it lol
you can take it to an alternator shop and they can re-wind your stock one (though you will be w/o a car while they do this). I was going to get mine done because I was going to put about 2k watts total. I was told I could get my stock alternator to put out about 180 total amps. The problem w/ this is it will create quite a bit more heat and will probably burn itself out.
There are a few companies that make high output alternators for our cars - check out some Accord sites. Its not a requirement in your situation, but it really would improve your sound because your amps could power like they should.
I agree w/ you on loving loud systems - I probably always will also. You just may want some more truck space sometime.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ou sig
I agree w/ you on loving loud systems - I probably always will also. You just may want some more truck space sometime.
I definitely will... im replacing my Tein Basics for some air suspension in the next month or two. But i will probably keep one of the subs though
Old 12-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice set-ups...

Here's mine: (If you haven't heard of Zapco, check them out...real high quality stuff)

3 Zapco Amps
DC650.6 - 4 channels to mids (one channel ea) 2 channels bridged to sub
DC360.4 - runs center channel
DC1000.4 - one channel each to the twts

Zapco Competition Speakers
Twts and Mids (4 ea) CK 16.2
Sub - R10B (in .85cf enlosure)
Center Channel - twt: kt 8.25 and midrange: km 8.5

Accessories
2 stinger 1.2 farad caps
1 stinger battery
tons of dynamat
iPod musiclink
1 low voltage trigger device

Misc.
Interior looks stock, except twts in dash
Still have access to spare...major bonus!!

Here's some pics...(for those who haven't seem them before)

Old 12-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Wow how much did that all set you back? Did you have it installed or did you install it?
Old 01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
Wow how much did that all set you back? Did you have it installed or did you install it?
More than I care to admit...it was major $$$'s. Love the system though...real sweat Had it installed by a co. in my area...it turned out great!!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Yes indeed very nice work. Very clean install and love the box with the caps mounted. I know zapco is pricey but some of the best stuff out there.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes indeed very nice work. Very clean install and love the box with the caps mounted. I know zapco is pricey but some of the best stuff out there.
Yeah, Zapco is one of the best. Saw you have Image Dynamics, have heard good things about them. have heard mixed reviews on phoenix gold amps...how do you like them? I am guessing you are going for SPL with a ported 2.2cf box...my goal is SQ, that's why I went with a small (.85cf) enlosed sub box, it gives me real tight/solid bass...however it gets plenty loud with the amps and components I am running

Any pics of your set-up?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Cruisin'

Chico, where did you mount your DRC-SL controller for your DC amps? I have a friend that has a 3G TL with 3-DC1000.4's in it. How do you like those mid's and high's? I'm putting a set of those along with 6 1/2" midbass in my other friends car.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SQrules
Chico, where did you mount your DRC-SL controller for your DC amps? I have a friend that has a 3G TL with 3-DC1000.4's in it. How do you like those mid's and high's? I'm putting a set of those along with 6 1/2" midbass in my other friends car.

I don't have the DRC-SL, was thinking about getting it. But, with all the tuning that can be done using the Digital Programming Network via a usb port to a laptop...I don't know that I need it. I've also heard it still has some bugs and can be a little difficult to set-up.

Is your friend the guy who has won numerous SQ competitions with his set-up? That is an outrageous system!! Mine system is over the top...his is extremely bad a#@s

I really like the Zapco speakers. I've listened to a lot of set-ups side by side and haven't found anything I like better.

Here is a pic of the Digital Programming Network on a laptop screen...

Here's a pic of the usb cable. I currently have it tucked on behind the trunk pass through...
Old 01-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
Yeah, Zapco is one of the best. Saw you have Image Dynamics, have heard good things about them. have heard mixed reviews on phoenix gold amps...how do you like them? I am guessing you are going for SPL with a ported 2.2cf box...my goal is SQ, that's why I went with a small (.85cf) enlosed sub box, it gives me real tight/solid bass...however it gets plenty loud with the amps and components I am running

Any pics of your set-up?
Yeah the new phoenix gold stuff is not as good as what they used to make but these two amps have been solid for me after 2 years in the car. Knock on wood! And yeah my stuff looks pretty ghetto right now so you probably would not even want to look at it. I still need to make a proper amp rack. And yeah it does get pretty loud but I am definately thinking of either going to a smaller sealed box or mounting the sub in the rear deck to reduce some weight as this box weighs a ton. Still don't know if I want to hack the car up but the sub in the rear deck is supposed to sound pretty sick.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Chico, yes my friend Kirk has the 3G TL and has won numerous SQ Awards with it. It sounds unbelievable for using stock speaker locations. 2 tweets, 2 mids, and 2 12's in a sealed box. Very simple and amazing. He has the DRC-SL, but hasn't mounted it anywhere yet. I thought you might have one, and I wanted to see were you would have put it.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SQrules
Chico, yes my friend Kirk has the 3G TL and has won numerous SQ Awards with it. It sounds unbelievable for using stock speaker locations. 2 tweets, 2 mids, and 2 12's in a sealed box. Very simple and amazing. He has the DRC-SL, but hasn't mounted it anywhere yet. I thought you might have one, and I wanted to see were you would have put it.
That's part of the problem. I don't know where I would put it...I like having a stock looking interior.

What speakers is Kirk using? Is he running the twets on one amp, mids on another and subs on the third? I am guessing the whole thing is running active...no external passive crossovers? I'd like to see how my system would stack up in competition, but haven't found anything in NorCal.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah the new phoenix gold stuff is not as good as what they used to make but these two amps have been solid for me after 2 years in the car. Knock on wood! And yeah my stuff looks pretty ghetto right now so you probably would not even want to look at it. I still need to make a proper amp rack. And yeah it does get pretty loud but I am definately thinking of either going to a smaller sealed box or mounting the sub in the rear deck to reduce some weight as this box weighs a ton. Still don't know if I want to hack the car up but the sub in the rear deck is supposed to sound pretty sick.
The small sealed box is awesome!! It sounds great and leaves plenty of space for amps, wiring, caps, etc...as you can see in my photo's, I still have a ton of trunk space. I guess the rear deck mount is O.K., just seems you are really limited on speaker selection, only a few seem to fit in that location. Good luck with your set-up
Old 01-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Cruisin'

That's part of the problem. I don't know where I would put it...I like having a stock looking interior.

What speakers is Kirk using? Is he running the twets on one amp, mids on another and subs on the third? I am guessing the whole thing is running active...no external passive crossovers? I'd like to see how my system would stack up in competition, but haven't found anything in NorCal.
Yes, that is how he is running the amps and speakers. He has Seas Mid and highs. I don't know the exact numbers , but the tweets are the 27mm aluminum domes, and the mids are the Nextel home version 6 1/2". He has 2 12" Fi Car Audio subs. There SQ line of subs.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Wow in stock locations. Are the speakers baffles aimed at the seats a little more or anything? I am using the stock locations now and its not bad but I think I want to build some kicks.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Kilos of yayo in

I don't have the DRC-SL, was thinking about getting it. But, with all the tuning that can be done using the Digital Programming Network via a usb port to a laptop...I don't know that I need it. I've also heard it still has some bugs and can be a little difficult to set-up.

Is your friend the guy who has won numerous SQ competitions with his set-up? That is an outrageous system!! Mine system is over the top...his is extremely bad a#@s

I really like the Zapco speakers. I've listened to a lot of set-ups side by side and haven't found anything I like better.

Here is a pic of the Digital Programming Network on a laptop screen...

Here's a pic of the usb cable. I currently have it tucked on behind the trunk pass through...
Wow that is really cool. You know speaking of that I scored a Precision Power DCX-730. From my understanding its the same as the Zapco DSP unit just rebadged. A website was blowing them out for 150 a piece and I was lucky enough to score one. I plan to go fully active with the system, can't wait. I would like to get headers and intake into the car first though maybe regain some of the lost ponies from all this added weight .
Old 01-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow in stock locations. Are the speakers baffles aimed at the seats a little more or anything? I am using the stock locations now and its not bad but I think I want to build some kicks.
The stock locations work extremely well...it might be tough to build in kicks, don't know that they would produce a change significant enough to warrant the time and expense. Just my
Old 01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Cruisin'

Chico, His mids are basically just dropped in. No angling at all. He got some rings made with a angle of 3/4" to nothing that he is going to try.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Advanced

is it possible to upgrade ur stock BOSE system if u have navi? wat i mean is replace door speakers and sub.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLP_TLS
is it possible to upgrade ur stock BOSE system if u have navi? wat i mean is replace door speakers and sub.
Absolutely, didn't run into any issues.