Attn Canadians : Beware of Terrace Gate Acura- Dirty Tactics

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 07:53 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn Canadians : Beware of Terrace Gate Acura- Dirty Tactics

Last Thursday I got to within $250 of a new TL-S and I left because I was trading in my wife's car and wanted to talk it over with her.

They were offering $2750 for the trade in and I was willing to go as low as $3000.

Anyhow, I called up the salesman on Saturday morning to suggest that we work something out since we were so close. I told him that we had a few items that we could still negotiate, namely, I had 4 extra winter tires and I also had the stock stereo as I had swapped it for an in dash CD player.

So I show up at the dealership Saturday morning and the salesman claims that he had lost the paperwork from Thursday. He takes down my information including the offer ($1000 over invoice for the new car and $3000 for the trade in).

I expect him to come back with the same offer they had presented me but instead they come back with a package price that is $1200 worse!!!!!

I ask the salesman why the price is worse and he gives me some song and dance about how he was speaking to the used car manager on Thursday and that today he has to deal with the new car manager. Funny thing is, both managers were at the dealership on both days.

Anyhow, this process goes back and forth (painfully) and as it turns out they flat out denied that they had ever showed me the price that they had and their "bottom line" was still $218 above Thursday's best price.

These guys must have figured that they could fleece me because they have the only EBP in town.

What ticked me off was not that they were worse but the fact that they wasted my time (and theirs) for no reason. If they had just said that they had reconsidered Thursday's offer and had changed their mind then I wouldn't be pissed but claiming that they lost the papers and then denying that they had ever showed me that price was DOWNRIGHT DIRTY.

Anyhow, I just thought I would warn anyone looking for an Acura in the GTA.

That very morning I went to Downtown Acura and a guy named Ajay looked after me and not only did he match the Thursday price from Terrace gate, he threw in a few extra's like floor mats and locking wheel nuts. More importantly, he made me feel like I had done him a favour.

I'll have to wait a week or so for my EBP but I'm sooo glad I didn't give my business to those a$$holes at Terrace Gate.

You guys think I should write a letter to Acura? After all, Acura is a luxury brand, we're not talking about used Chevette's here.
Old 09-17-2001, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
You can write a letter to Acura if it will help make you feel better, but it probably won't accomplish much. Yes, the dealer was pretty shady, but unless they've gotten a lot of other complaints they probably won't do anything.

What you've already done, by posting your story here, is probably far more damaging! Keep spreading your tale by word-of-mouth--that's the way to have an impact!
Old 09-17-2001, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

If you want to feel even better.... post this story over at the CL bulletin board. That way, not only will we stay away from that dealer, but anyone looking for a CL will too!!
Old 09-17-2001, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Hemants,

http://www.acurasucks.com/Main.htm

I don't know how true the stuff is on this site, but I know I had some bad experiences at Terrace Gate Acura.
Old 09-17-2001, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
shady ...

If I were to purchase a Type-S in GTA, I would have gone to see Ajay @ downtown Acura. (He's a relative to an acquaintance that I know.) Some people have warned me that the downtown dealership is shady but now that you tell me about your Terrace Gate experience, I certainly will avoid the latter for sure!

Glad that you shared your experience with everyone on the board. Gotta keep in mind those places to avoid.

- derrick
Old 09-17-2001, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Wow Acurasucks.com was actually started because of one guys bad experience with Terrace Gate.

Go figure.
Old 09-17-2001, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info about Terrace Gate Acura.

I just wanted to share a little a little story I have about Downtown Acura. I purchased my 2002 NBP TL-S from them the first week they arrived in the showroom and the experience I had with their sales department was great. After driving the car around for about 1 month, i noticed that I had a sticky driver's side lock. Basically I was having an intermittent problem with the lock not unlocking (with both keyless remote and with the swich on the inside of the door). I didn't really think much about it, but when I had to bring the car in for the Power Window recall, they said that this power window unit could be the problem. So they changed it......but the problem was still there (of course as we all know, intermittant problems are never intermittant when you are trying to show the Service Advisor first hand!).

A couple of months after that, I got keyed at the IKEA parking lot.....that was the last straw! I decided to get a Clifford G4 alarm with all the bells and whistles installed. Even the guy installing the Clifford noticed the sticky lock and told me to take it to Acura. So the next day, I brought in the car and they told me that they needed the car for the entire day to troubleshoot it. I got a 1.7EL as a loaner for the day. When I returned at 5:00pm, they claimed that they were 100% certain that the cause of my problem was the Clifford Alarm! I was quite pissed off now. I told them to check their records and that they would see that I had already complained about the lock months before getting the alarm installed. They said the only way they could run a diagnostic is if they removed the Clifford alarm (which they would charge me for). The service manager told me that the only way to get this solved is by working with the guys that installed the alarm and Downtown Acura.........and the battle goes on.......

Anyways, to make a long story short, I have had an excellent experience with Downtown Acura Sales, but their service Department now has 1 strike on them.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:34 AM
Drifting

So the lamers called me back last night.

The BS continued. The salesman claimed that the new car manager Chuck was out of the office and the Dan, the used car manager corroberated my story and that we should have met half way.

I'll admit that it is possible that these two guys Chuck and Dan have a hostile relationship but I am more inclined to believe that they are trying the old 'good cop bad cop' on me. They played a game of dirty chicken and lost and now they're expecting me to just forget that I've been called a liar and had my time wasted and intelligence insulted?

Anyhow, it gave me great satisfaction to tell the guy that I had already purchased the car elsewhere and that while I didn't blame him personally, that I would never deal, or let any of my friends deal with Terrace Gate Acura again.

Whether it is a hostile relationship or dirty tactics, the end result is poor treatment of customers which is not acceptable.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
Whether it is a hostile relationship or dirty tactics, the end result is poor treatment of customers which is not acceptable.
You've got that right! Good for you!
Old 09-18-2001, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

dirty tricks

i've never had a bad experience with Acura , but i've had
****ty dealings with Nissan, pittewwey , i spit on Nissan and
their s*****y Maxima ! Any GTA people looking for help on a Type S, pls contact me

thx
B.