anyone has installed bluetooth audio device

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone has installed bluetooth audio device

As we know 2nd gen audio is too old for this age with cassette and cd. even cd is being displaced by online streaming. So I hit the store bestbuy to see what options available and there were lot of bluetooth conversion devices. The one that might fit is here, recommended by the store employee:

Has anyone installed this or anything like? How does it looks like. Also my audio is currently shot (code bricked due to battery outage) so store guy told me if that is the case it might not work since it uses FM signals to operate. However i told him that i dont even plan to use original audio just wanna be able to play from my smartphone through bluetooth. However guys still insisted that device may not operate at all since it uses fm however i was not sure the bluetooth part will require fm signal which he also kinda hesitated. Anywyas if someone has done it for you 2G TL lay it here!!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
You will have a hard time finding someone that has specifically used that item in outer cars your best bet is to find more info online in how it works and figure out if it does works with our stereo..

May I mind ask why you don't simply upgrade the HU? There are great and cheap replacements that already accept Bluetooth (which sounds like total crap anyway) for cheap, there are harness, dash trims and everything to do a simple DIY and get yourself a nice HU... I have mine with an iPod Classic 160GB as a Exclusively external Hard Drive and has been inside my car for years! Only reason to take it out is to upgrade my playlist, I recommend you this option as many cars accepts iPods these days and there are nice and cheap 80GBs iPod Videos on EBay! No need for Bluettoth crap that sounds all muddy and muffled.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skirmich:
cincinattlguy19 (04-27-2014), guyenacurazine (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You wont get ANYTHING to work with a locked OEM HU. The bluetooth still needs the radio to be on to power the signal. Dont waste your money or time on one of those. Just get an aftermarket HU with Bluetooth if that is what you are after. Not to mention you will have better sound with a decent aftermarket HU.
The following users liked this post:
guyenacurazine (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Racer

thanks, the reason i looked around this device is i wanted to keep the dash area looking original. I did not want to replace with flashy HU besides I am 36 !!!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Im 39 and i have a aftermarket HU. If you want to retain the OEM hu either get yours working or buy a used one with radio code.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM

Ah we'll I'm 25!! But that doesn't make me a master technician in HU installation... I installed mine self thought did it in about 4-5 hours in a good weekend..

Also there are very sleek and elegant HUs that won't flash like a pre-teen car.. My Kenwood has color match and it matched the ugly greenish lights of the dashboard quite effectively so it looks pretty much OEM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:10 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
Ah we'll I'm 25!! But that doesn't make me a master technician in HU installation... I installed mine self thought did it in about 4-5 hours in a good weekend..

Also there are very sleek and elegant HUs that won't flash like a pre-teen car.. My Kenwood has color match and it matched the ugly greenish lights of the dashboard quite effectively so it looks pretty much OEM.
31 here! Gotta agree with Skirmich an aftermarket HU is the way to go. You dont have to buy an ugly HU take your time and shop. Plenty of HU come both ipod ready as well as Bluetooth ready. My headunit has both. when my wife gets in the car she bluetooth's in and when im in the car i hardwire. As for clarity. Bluetooth technology has come along way if you have a decent phone like the iphone your music will come out crystal clear. Here is a shot of what i purchased a couple years ago. and till this day i still love it.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Tris is many moons ago when my HU was released there weren't any double din dashboard kits so I had to improvise:

I'm over that wheel cover and now I have a proper double din trim.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Skirmich

Hey Skirmish, would you mind putting your picture? Or may be if you have a model number, i was in look for a stereo system that can look as much as original. I decided to not get this unit as many if you guys suggest. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I picked up a double din touchscreen HU with bluetooth, mp3, sd, usb, dvd, gps, and camera inputs for $150 off of amazon, $15 more got me the install kit and wiring harness. All went in easy and works great!! However it has made it now necessary to replace the factory speakers as they aren't as great as I thought, and the HU doesn't power the factory amp or sub, so those are the next upgrades coming. I can't post a pic of it here for some reason but there's a pic of it in my profile. Btw I'm 33 and don't think it's a ricer upgrade, the 7 year old watches dvds on it all the time, so it's a family upgrade imo lol