Anyone had this issue with their A-Spec of TL-S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone had this issue with their A-Spec of TL-S?

I was driving on a side road and decided to gun it really hard. So i put the car in tiptronic, from the lights the car geared to second after revving to 6000 RPM (completely normal) however when I reached about 120 km/h and the tiptronic was in second, it wouldn't gear to third gear, eventhough I was reving at 7000 RPM. Now when it reached 7000 RPM, I decided to keep my foot at the floor, and so the car started like shaking as if it was stuck. For some reason the car refused to gear up to third automatically.

So I got kinda worried. So I took the car on the highway, and while I was doing 130 km//h, I geared the car from 5th to 4th in tiptronic, then I tried to gear it down to 3rd, and it said 3rd, but the number flashed and then it stayed in 4th. I'm assuming that would be a safety feature so you don't blow your engine.

Does anyone know though why my car won't shift automatically to third?

Let me know

thanks
Old 06-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your car wont shift automatically to third because you had it in the tiptronic mode..you have to shift yourself buddy...and if the gear indicators flash..that mans the cpu thinks you'll over rev the engine
Old 06-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

no way dude. The car should automatically shift it to 3rd if you're past the redline. That is too prevent you from burning out the engine. My car used to do it at new, and now it stopped doing it. It won't shift up itself from 2-3, but it will shift from 1-2.

and yah i assumed the gear flashed on the hwy. to prevent the car from revving too high.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
why the HELL would you try to get the car to shift automatically if you're in sportshift mode?
Old 06-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by fahoumh
why the HELL would you try to get the car to shift automatically if you're in sportshift mode?
lol. exactly

leave it in auto if you want it to shift for you
Old 06-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Wink Re: Anyone had this issue with their A-Spec of TL-S?

Originally posted by sc354

Does anyone know though why my car won't shift automatically to third?

Let me know

thanks

Read the manual. The car will go from 1 to 2nd gear, then you have to do the shifting. If you want the car to auto shift, leave it at autoshift!!
Old 06-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I can understand that in Sportshift you should be doing all the shifting, but that's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried that there's something seriously wrong with my tranny, and potentially something else could fail in the near future.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:15 PM
President Team Lilirish

it only shifts 1-2 for u after that u have to do the shifting urself. read the manual
Old 06-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Racer

I wouldn't be "testing" this out too frequently if I were you.
I kinda like the way the TL holds gears after 2nd. Lets you control the "balance (dynamics)" through turns at speed (lots of fun)
My buddy has a IS300 and always complains that when he tried to take coners too fast and approaches redline the CPU upshifts, (protection) hence disturbing the balance that he was aiming for.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:17 AM
Drifting

yeah..if the trans shifted for you every time you reached redline in sportshift mode..then what would the point be...nothing wrong with your tranmission dude..your just paranoid...the thign syour saying you trans wont do arent suppose to happen in the first place
Old 06-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Dai
Instructor

I can understand that in Sportshift you should be doing all the shifting, but that's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried that there's something seriously wrong with my tranny, and potentially something else could fail in the near future.
If you keep on testing it like that, they'll be something wrong with your tranny all right....
Old 06-09-2003, 04:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

You can't handle the "Sportshift" mode kid....keep it in automatic or your tranny will def have "a problem".

I suggest you read the owners manual again
Old 06-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

please don't tell me how to drive my car. I'll take on anyone in their TL and guarantee you I'll win.

Bring it on!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Advanced

If you keep driving like you are driving you certainly will toast the engine/tranny. You won't be winning anything but a replacement. Why would you go over red line?
Old 06-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Advanced

SC354, everyone else is right! Please don't start trouble. And an A-spec and a TL-S have the same power, so the way you shift I doubt you would beat anyone hear. Plus most have mods....Just my 2 cents
Old 06-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Shogun Assassin

please don't tell me how to drive my car. I'll take on anyone in their TL and guarantee you I'll win.

Bring it on!!!
grow up
Old 06-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Bring it on!!!

I think that you should write ACURA and detail your problem just as you have done so in here. I am sure that they will direct you to your OWNER's MANUAL and sugest you thoroughly read it cover to cover before getting back on the road and risk hurting not only your car but others as well. Thank you very much. :o
Old 06-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Instructor

As everyone else said, it will only shift from 1 to 2. Also, it will NOT shift back into 1 unless you stop (or maybe come to a slow roll), this is annoying.
My Audi used to shift to the next highest gear at redline when it was in tiptronic. I didnt mind this very much. I didnt even use tiptronic that much anyway, only for holding the car in a gear for a corner.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Bring it on!!!
Sure, let's race. I'll blow right by you as you struggle to get it into third.

You asked for advice, and people gave it to you. Now you're being cocky. :o
Old 06-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Pro

Bring it on!!!
These are people I can't stand prawling our wonderful forum. Up to the point when you started to have an attitude, the responses were very constructive. But you have to let your ego get out of hand. Listen kid, just because you own an A-spec doesn't make you any faster than any of us. As a matter of fact, many could blow the hood off your stock TL-S. I would never race another TL or TL-S just for the plain fact that I consider each of you as sharing a common trait...good taste in cars. Doesn't matter how fast another TL-S is, I'll just drive by and give a nod. If anybody wants to race me, I'll be more than happy to take on the challenge and invite them to the tracks. But kids like you, I would not respect and may just spank you back to kindergarden. I have many Canadian friends and I'm sure they don't appreciate you as a representative of how Canadians with A-Spec really act like. Peace.

axleback

----------------------------------------------------
2002 SSM TL-S w/o Nav
OEM Body Kit
OEM Spoiler
Comptech Headers
Comptech Exhausts
Injen CAI
Neuspeed Upper Strut Tie-Bar
Comptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Front and Rear Hyper-White Side Markers
Razo Racing Pedals
Clear Lens Spoiler LEDs
Sumitomo HTR+ 225/45R17
MAX Gold 55W Fog lights
Odometer reading: 35,371 (Apr.21)
My baby:
www.photoisland.com
Login: ultra_man
Password: types
Old 06-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

ouch
Old 06-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by axleback
These are people I can't stand prawling our wonderful forum. Up to the point when you started to have an attitude, the responses were very constructive. But you have to let your ego get out of hand. Listen kid, just because you own an A-spec doesn't make you any faster than any of us. As a matter of fact, many could blow the hood off your stock TL-S. I would never race another TL or TL-S just for the plain fact that I consider each of you as sharing a common trait...good taste in cars. Doesn't matter how fast another TL-S is, I'll just drive by and give a nod. If anybody wants to race me, I'll be more than happy to take on the challenge and invite them to the tracks. But kids like you, I would not respect and may just spank you back to kindergarden. I have many Canadian friends and I'm sure they don't appreciate you as a representative of how Canadians with A-Spec really act like. Peace.

axleback
Amen, brother. I agree with you 100%.

I always wave at fellow TLers. Not everybody waves back (housewives :o), but some do and they understand what it's about.

Every TL and CL driver I've met has been really cool, but this guy is coming off as really cocky. Yeah, the A-spec is nice, but it's a cosmetics package. It doesn't make it faster than regular TL-S'. Just recently, a TL-P owner saw me in a parking lot and asked me some questions. I was happy to answer, and complimented on his car. But I can picture sc354 being all cocky with an attitude. Big thumbs down.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Bring it on!!!
'

lol...we were just telling you how to fix your so called "problem".... is it that hard to see its you and not the car....how immature....everyone told you the same thing...pay attention

and i highly doubt you'll beat anyone...
Old 06-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Just an FYI, the reason your car started shaking at ~7000 rpms (redline should be 6900 rpms in reality) is because you hit the rev limiter. To prevent you from passing redline, the car will automatically cut off the gas to the car at redline, dropping the rpms below 6900 (back to around 6500-6700) and then when it reaches 6900 again it will start all over.

But as everyone else has already said, SportShift is designed to let you have control over the car. It will automatically shift from 1 to 2 for you (Many people actually don't like this), but after that you're on your own in SportShift. The main reason for SportShift is to allow you to choose when to shift, much like a manual transmission. Like others have said if you want it to shift on its own then leave it in D5.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Instructor

He may have thought there was a safety feature that would upshift the transmission rather than letting a bad driver blow the engine. I think that safety feature is actually the RPM limiter which is valid for all gears and is about 400 RPM above the red line for the engine.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring it on!!!
You should def read the manual....the car will automatically shift from 1-2, but after that the controls are in your hands. When you just about hit redline the car will feel like its shuttering because its cutting fuel so you won't overrev....IT WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY shift up...in tiptronic it will ONLY SHIFT down when you slow down, but not one gear at a time....like say you are in 4th and start braking to stop ata red light...it will automatically shift down to 1st then when yoiu start to accel it will auto shift from 1-2 then its back in your hands...

When the number indicator flashes it means the computer is saying NO WAY to doing what you are tryign to do....
Old 06-15-2003, 10:24 AM
2002 TL Type S

If you keep driving like you are driving you certainly will toast the engine/tranny.
Exactly!!! I think we found the source of roasted trannies. People! In sportshift mode, you shift the tranny the way you would do your manual car. And if you insist on passing redline, then be prepared for your car to shut off fuel to the engine to keep you from blowing it up - hence the shuddering. Bad idea unless you want to tear up your car.

Besides, isn't peak power below the redline anyway?
Old 06-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

sc354 ....I have a problem too....when I try to go really fast...like 75-80....around a turn that has a posted speed limit of 25 mph in a densly popultaed neighborhood...sometimes the car runs off the road and into a tree...I am soooo mad at this car....I think there might be something wrong with it. Any ideas????
Old 06-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by bartolo
sc354 ....I have a problem too....when I try to go really fast...like 75-80....around a turn that has a posted speed limit of 25 mph in a densly popultaed neighborhood...sometimes the car runs off the road and into a tree...I am soooo mad at this car....I think there might be something wrong with it. Any ideas????
I'd take it to the dealer...
Old 06-18-2003, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear

ya... what you're talking about is called the rev-limiter... so that you don't blow your engine..

happy shifting..
Old 06-19-2003, 06:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bartolo
thank you for being so sarcastic. The funny part is, I don't think everyone actually understood the sarcasm.

Good one though!!! :P
Old 06-19-2003, 08:18 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll race you...just promise to use SS!

The car did everything it was supposed to and apparently people do need to tell you how to drive your car.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Drifting

The car will do 1 -> 2 and 2 -> 1 for you in ss mode.

Other than that you're stuck but don't worry, there's probably a rev limiter to save the car from stupid owners.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by TimN88
As everyone else said, it will only shift from 1 to 2. Also, it will NOT shift back into 1 unless you stop (or maybe come to a slow roll), this is annoying.
My Audi used to shift to the next highest gear at redline when it was in tiptronic. I didnt mind this very much. I didnt even use tiptronic that much anyway, only for holding the car in a gear for a corner.
Even a manual transmission won't allow you to go in to first from second unless you are nearly stopped.