Aftermarket alarm or shock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket alarm or shock sensor?

i have been reading all the posts concerning the different types of ways the members have upgraded their alarms in their Tl's. i am trying to decide whether to get one of those fancy aftermarket alarms or should i install the shock sensor to the existing stock alarm. i am sure the aftermarket alarms might be better, but in terms of value, how is the shock sensor? what the stock alarm with the shock sensor be almost as good as the aftermarket alarm?
Old 08-09-2001, 02:09 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

I'm having the same debate myself...

But with the add-on shock, you still don't have glass protection. I dont know.. I'm really worried about my HIDs in the place where I'm moving to (nice univ. campus, but in a bad part of the city), so I might spend a couple hundred more for radar alarm...
Old 08-09-2001, 02:11 PM
Instructor

true true, thats what else i was wondering: is it possible to put a shock sensor and a glass sensor to the factory alarm?
Old 08-09-2001, 03:00 PM
bh
Advanced

nice campus, bad city? sounds like USC
Old 08-09-2001, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
true true, thats what else i was wondering: is it possible to put a shock sensor and a glass sensor to the factory alarm?
Yes you can. I just responded on a similar thread. A few weeks ago I called an alarm installer who does quite a bit of business in my area and installed the remote starter in my old Vigor.

I asked him what he thought of the stock alarms and immobilizer that comes in the '00-'02 TLs (I don't believe the '99s had the immoblizer). I fully expected him to trash it and suggest that I buy a new one. Surprisingly he said that the immobilizor is quite effective and with the alarm (Horn & lights), the only upgrade he would make was a shock sensor ($40 installed). He did say that if they really want your car, they'll get it (carjacking, towing, etc.), but he didn't see a need to trash the whole system and start over.

I just had a thought, for those with a NAVI, can our cars be tracked? Since the GPS are owned by the Department of Defense, is there some sort of electronic tag (that we don't know about), that let's us bounce a signal off of those satellites? You gotta believe the foundation exists to be able to track your car if it's stolen.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by goaub

I just had a thought, for those with a NAVI, can our cars be tracked? Since the GPS are owned by the Department of Defense, is there some sort of electronic tag (that we don't know about), that let's us bounce a signal off of those satellites? You gotta believe the foundation exists to be able to track your car if it's stolen.
GPS is a one-way system - data is transmitted by the satellites to the vehicle's GPS receiver, but not the other way. Systems that use GPS to track vehicles (known as AVL - Automatic Vehicle Location) utilize an additional medium, such as analog cellphone, CDPD, etc. to transmit the received GPS location back to a central computer. Since our Navi systems don't have these services built in, and no way to interface to the necessary equipment, AVL isn't possible - Our cars know where they are, but have no way to "phone home" to tell about it
Old 08-10-2001, 07:35 AM
Instructor

according to the helm manual, the shock sensor is being added to the hood pin switch trigger.

it seems you can add a couple sensors, the shock on the hood trigger, a glass on the trunk trigger, and even a prox on the drivers door, and if you want you can add something else to the passenger door.

but that's kinda overkill i think. if someone breaks the glass, i'm sure the shock sensor is going to sense something. if they break the glass and the shock sensor doesn't go off, when they open the lock or door, the alarm will go off.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:44 AM
Instructor

thanks for the info dean078!!!! i was thinkin bout installing the shock sensor and the prox sensor, so the alarm goes off if thieves are close to the car before any damage is done to the windows, hood, etc. i was wondering if you had the instructions to install the shock sensor and the prox sensor. thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-10-2001, 11:47 AM
Instructor

i think the problem with the prox sensor is that the stock alarm doesn't have a warn mode. you can get a prox for the inside of your car, so if you leave your window open and someone reaches in it'll go off, but getting one to monitor the outside of the car would cause the alarm to go off everytime a bird flies by or something.

do a search for the shock sensor install. i think it's in the faq too.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn this is old.