After you get a remanufactured transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question After you get a remanufactured transmission.

I have received a remanufactured tranny under the Acura warranty.
My old (tranny) one died after approximately 90k miles. However, I had the tranny drained and refilled every 15-17K, it had still failed (approx 3.1 quarts). This was when the oiljet kit was installed at around 32K miles by dealer.

When does the ATF Z1 tranny fluid need to be drained an refilled.
Should 3 (three) quarts be drained and refilled after 15000 miles or after 30000 miles.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
According to the owners manual it states every 120k or 60k under severe driving...lol, I'd do it every 30k if I were you. Perhaps do it once at 15k and see how the fluid looks just in case.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If you are going to do it at all- start at 15k miles and do a full 3x3, 9 qts fluid change to get all the loose material from initial break in removed from the system.

Its important to treat it gently. but not babied, for the first 500-1000 miles.
Let all those parts get to know each other. Some wear of metal to metal is part of the deal.

Welcome to the replaced trans club- its like getting half a new car for free!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Thass Wassup!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hahah... half a new car
rofl!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Team Owner

add seafoam and you have 3/4 of a new car! not bad for a few dollars and having to drive a brand new loaner car for a week
Old 06-22-2008, 12:28 AM
2 TL Owner

Transmission oil change interval

4 years and 50,000 miles ago my '01 got a new transmission under Warranty. I have always followed the factory intervals for servicing.

Today I had the timing belt changed on the '01 and the mechanic (a certified Honda mechanic who works for a local dealership) said that the tranny should be changed at 30,000 miles. Since he was ready to do the work, I said to go ahead and do it. When I picked the car up he said the transmission oil was BLACK! This is not a good thing.

The lesson for me is I will change the transmission oil on both my '01 and '07 every 30,000 miles.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

I recently purchased a 00tl and the 1st owner had service records af a transmission replaced at 80k and had the fluid drain and filled once after that. It now has 135k and the fluid doesnt look very fresh as a mechanic stated. Its getting the fluid flushed this week. The mechanic said its fine to do a flush with the shop machine and use dexron 3 atf. Any feedback on this service? What should I avoid? the trans. feels and shifts fine now but what are symptoms of a trans. going bad?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:16 PM
2 TL Owner

Originally Posted by sturgeongeorge
I recently purchased a 00tl and the 1st owner had service records af a transmission replaced at 80k and had the fluid drain and filled once after that. It now has 135k and the fluid doesnt look very fresh as a mechanic stated. Its getting the fluid flushed this week. The mechanic said its fine to do a flush with the shop machine and use dexron 3 atf. Any feedback on this service? What should I avoid? the trans. feels and shifts fine now but what are symptoms of a trans. going bad?
My only advice is to use the Honda ATF-Z1 fluid that is recommended. My mechanic is a believer and has no ax to grind.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not fine to 'flush' the tranny, get a new mechanic, he/she is going to ruin your tranny.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 PM
hates the winter

If you change the fluid every 15k or once a year, the 3x3 isn't really necessary. There will always be metal shavings when changing the fluid, it's normal. I'm not sure if the drain plug is magnetic or not, but it's a good idea to have one to help capture the shavings.

I'm at 60k and thought my tranny was on it's way out, but the mechaninc at Acura said it was fine for now, but to keep an eye on it, and keep up with my once a year or 15k change intervals, and they will have no problem replacing it up until 109k even though it's not covered under the lawsuit act. They acknowledge the problem with these trannys and offer the same treatment to all 03's regardless of vin.

I hope mine goes before then, because I want to keep this car for a while as I enjoy every aspect of it, but when the car is 8 years old(109k), I'm not going to want to spend over $3k for a transmission, so I have to see how it pans out.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

If your trans has ANY of the recognized symptoms- acura should be taking care of it now- not later- for you
Sure they have to feel the slip or see the leak or pull a relevant code- but once they do- its replacement time.
`Goodwill` is a good thing- they will take care of most out of vin range 03s, but you cant count on that forever.
If your trans has problems get to the dealer

IMO-- when you change 3 qts of a 7.4 qts capacity system- you are not getting the old oil out fully- not even half of it!!!
thats the purpose of 3x3- to get rid of old and in with new,
Metal shavings will get on the magnetic drain plug- but that has nothing to do with the actual life and functioning--cooling and lubrication- of what is~ the Life Blood of the Transmission!!!
Would you change half the engine oil?? or half the coolant or ps fluid or brake fluid?
NO! you would run enough fluid thru them to ensure 100 precent change out.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

sturgeon- read the owner book or any of the DIY regarding 3x3 trans fluid change- honda calls is ~flush~ in the owner book
the term has been taken by the industry at large to mean a powered machine suction or pressure device to remove the old fluid and replace it.
The TL has a security plate under the fill plug and dipstick to prevent any tube from getting in there, even if they hook it up its not going to get the torque convertor contents. 3 qts hide in there
with a 5 minute drive using each gear up and down- then drain the 3 qts the trans will give up at one draining- refill and drive 5 minutes shifting thru each gear to move the fluid from the convertor and the various pipes and passages to the drain area while new fluid moves in to replace it.
drain another 3 qts- drive- drain- refill- do it for total of 9 qts in, or 12 for the serious about doing things fully crowd
Use HONDA ATF- our trans are very picky
dex3 can be used in roadside emergency- and requires 3x3 with honda fluid immedialty to remove the dex3~
Old 06-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
sturgeon- read the owner book or any of the DIY regarding 3x3 trans fluid change- honda calls is ~flush~ in the owner book
the term has been taken by the industry at large to mean a powered machine suction or pressure device to remove the old fluid and replace it.
The TL has a security plate under the fill plug and dipstick to prevent any tube from getting in there, even if they hook it up its not going to get the torque convertor contents. 3 qts hide in there
with a 5 minute drive using each gear up and down- then drain the 3 qts the trans will give up at one draining- refill and drive 5 minutes shifting thru each gear to move the fluid from the convertor and the various pipes and passages to the drain area while new fluid moves in to replace it.
drain another 3 qts- drive- drain- refill- do it for total of 9 qts in, or 12 for the serious about doing things fully crowd
Use HONDA ATF- our trans are very picky
dex3 can be used in roadside emergency- and requires 3x3 with honda fluid immedialty to remove the dex3~
01tl4tl thanks for the helpful info. I brought my car to the shop and they did a tranny flush with a machine with dex 3 after the flush service the mechanic test drove the vehicle and did exactly what you stated: tcs light flashes,d5 flashing and revs high without shifting out of 1st gear. Then he pulled a code and said its calling for a output speed sensor which the dealer later called a p.s. sensor on top of the tranny. Reset p.c.m and still does the same just as you stated. The shop ordered a new sensor and said they will replace it and the sensor will fix the problem. Should I drain all dex 3 fluid and replace with honda fluid? What do you recommend? And have you ever heard or experincd this problem? Do you think my tranny is gone? It was replaced by dealer at 85k. I appreciate the help.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Team Owner

ok after reading a few of your post tonight- and trying to piece together the whole story
I see you have 55k miles on this replacement trans from acura. 80 replace 135 now, recent car to you.
it should last longer than that!

You said the dealer diagnosed a sensor since the problem started? or the shop diagnosed and said it will fix the problem--???
And this part was ordered correct?
Its possible sensor I guess- usually its 2nd 3rd gear where you have the problem shifting- thats trans
Other things will give similar symptoms to trans but not be it
Is the d5 flashing constantly- thats different than 3 flashes during hard accelleration
Once the new sensor is installed - go from there!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still cant believe the number of post - in a row!!!- in threads telling you NOT to go to this guy - his machine method would ruin the trans,,,,and look what happened!
We have all done things- thats how we learned and came to share what to beware of!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Team Owner

Insist the shop does the correct 9 quarts of ~Honda fluid exchange~ to get rid of the dex in the system
there are enough detailed instructions here so you can explain it to them - or they can pay honda/acura dealer to take care of it for them!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Maybe it was bad luck/timing, but I had zero trans problems until I had the dealer change my trans fluid (drain/fill) at around 75K. Had to replace the tranny 5K later. Likely just a coincidence.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

ok after reading a few of your post tonight- and trying to piece together the whole story
I see you have 55k miles on this replacement trans from acura. 80 replace 135 now, recent car to you.

You said the dealer diagnosed a sensor since the problem started? or the shop diagnosed and said it will fix the problem--???
Its possible sensor I guess- usually its 2nd 3rd gear where you have the problem shifting- thats trans
Is the d5 flashing constantly- thats different than 3 flashes during hard accelleration
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still cant believe the number of post - in a row!!!- in threads telling you NOT to go to this guy - his machine method would ruin the trans,,,,and look what happened!
We have all done things- thats how we learned and came to share what to beware of!
yes your correct. 135k now 55k on new trans. Yes the shop, not dealer diagnosed sensor problem and ordered sensor to be in on friday. I hope it fixes the problem as the tech stated but can a flush cause the trans to go that fast. As soon as the flush was done the tech. test drove it and these symptoms started. sorry for so many posts Im just scared that my tranny is gone and have no warranty. I just purchased this car last week and had all the services done: t.b., w.p., belts, hoses, plugs, t- stat, and the cowardly decision on the trans flush and i end up with this problem.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

You need to get honda fluid in there, NOTHING else is good for the tranny. Flushing the tranny may have toasted it. These trannies do not respond well to a flush, which is different then a 3x3 or drain/fill.

Forcing the fluid out causes a HIGH rate of failure. Since the tranny was fine prior to the 'flush' I would be moving to a) get your mechanic to pay for the new tranny you're going to need b) try to get an Acura replacement, but I dont think you'll get it at no cost

I'm really sorry to hear you've run into this. I've learned to be VERY careful with what I ask a mechanic to do.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

sb65
that would be right on schedule for failure after fluid change at mid miles.
It seems if you start early and stay on it often- there is slightly less chance of trans failure
BUT
If you wait, and then do it,- the crud that gets washed out--- was holding the clutches together.
Its very common occurance on a TL, and should only be attempted while in warranty IMO

Sort of like the Far Side cartoon where the devil is poking a guy with his fork as he stands in front of 2 doors-marked- If you Do and If Your Dont.
Cmon Cmon- pick one!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

01tl4tl I appreciate all the help and info. I talked to the shop today who did the trans flush and they said if the sensor dont fix the problem they will cover all costs to fix or replace my transmission.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

im at 90,000 miles now and my car is startin to do the stutter up hills and while shifting into gears...ahould i take it to the dealership and have them do a flush or should i jus take it to them so they can check the tranny problem?
Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ZEUS'O3TL
im at 90,000 miles now and my car is startin to do the stutter up hills and while shifting into gears...ahould i take it to the dealership and have them do a flush or should i jus take it to them so they can check the tranny problem?
NEVER FLUSH THE TRANNY
Old 06-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by rob-2
NEVER FLUSH THE TRANNY

well i meant it in a Drain and fill way...lol...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ZEUS'O3TL
well i meant it in a Drain and fill way...lol...
careful what ask for at dealership...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by rob-2
careful what ask for at dealership...

what do u mean?...
Old 06-28-2008, 04:41 AM
Intermediate

yes your correct. 135k now 55k on new trans. Yes the shop, not dealer diagnosed sensor problem and ordered sensor to be in on friday. I hope it fixes the problem as the tech stated but can a flush cause the trans to go that fast. As soon as the flush was done the tech. test drove it and these symptoms started. sorry for so many posts Im just scared that my tranny is gone and have no warranty. I just purchased this car last week and had all the services done: t.b., w.p., belts, hoses, plugs, t- stat, and the cowardly decision on the trans flush and i end up with this problem.
The shop installed the new sensor and now the trans is fine. The tech. then put the old sensor back in and let me drive it. The old sensor made the d5 light blink continuesly, cel on, and tcs on. After the new sensor installed the tranny shifts like a gem. I've drove all night approx. 350 miles and no problems. Looks like he diag. the problem correctly.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 AM
Intermediate

The shop installed the new sensor and now the trans is fine. The tech. then put the old sensor back in and let me drive it. The old sensor made the d5 light blink continuesly, cel on, and tcs on. After the new sensor installed the tranny shifts like a gem. I've drove all night approx. 350 miles and no problems. Looks like he diag. the problem correctly.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Team Owner

Thats good news, and another thing for us all to keep an eye open for!
Another ziber had same prob and diagnosis right after you posted--may be a trend
Did you get them to put the honda fluid in?
Old 06-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Thats good news, and another thing for us all to keep an eye open for!
Another ziber had same prob and diagnosis right after you posted--may be a trend
Did you get them to put the honda fluid in?
yes new honda fluid.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

Excellent news then!
Drive it and enjoy!!!