Acura of Troy totally fucked up my car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 02:03 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Acura of Troy totally fucked up my car.

I was having problems with the brakes along with some other minor problems, so I scheduled for an appointment for this past Thursday. The car was ready on Friday, so I left school 80 miles away to pick up my car. I was really glad that it was ready before the weekend.

Well, I got there just in time because of horrible weather (got hit with really bad T-storms) and traffic at 5:45. They closed at 6. As soon as I left the dealership, I noticed that the car had some resistance when I applied gas. They had replaced the front rotors and pads, along with the brake booster assembly, so I figured it just had to be broken in.

Well, the problem didn't go away, so I called the dealership at 5:55, but they didn't pick up. So I said screw it and just drove back to school. On the highway, it felt OK. But as soon as I got off and drove at like 40-50 mph, I started feeling the resistance again. I came up to the first red light after I got off the freeway, and the car literally braked to a stop on its own. The only thing I did was let off the gas, and it gradually slowed down and stopped on its own on completely even pavement. And the brake pedal felt really heavy and pressurized, which indicates that the brakes are engaged even though I don't have my foot on the brake pedal.

Then it went away like it never happened. So I drove back to my school home carefully, about 5 miles away. This morning, I got up, went over to my buddy's house, and I was coming back home on the highway. The car was braking harder than ever now by itself, and on the highway, my steering wheel was shaking like CRAZY. And as soon as I tapped on the brake pedal, the front right suspension would hop up and down. I was seriously scared for my life, and my two friends in the car. I called the dealership at the Service Director's direct line and I left a voice mail. After that, I pulled off, went to a friend's house in the area and I called Acura Roadside Assistance. I told the lady that I wanted to get my car towed to my house at school, about 10 miles away, and I would call the dealership to arrange to have my car towed there on Monday. She said no. I asked her why and she said she wasn't allowed to do that. The dealership was closed. I had just called the Service Director's line and I left a voicemail. So I asked her if there was any way I could just have it towed to my house and she said no. So I said, "I guess I will just risk my life on the highway." She said "OK, thank you for calling Acura Roadside Assitance." and hung up on me. Fvcking great. I closed the phone and cussed up a storm while my friends are asking me what they said. They got pissed off, too.

All I was asking was a tow to my house, so I could have the dealership pick it up on Monday, because the dealership is closed, anyway, and I want to be there when my car gets dropped off. I mean, is that too much to ask for? Is their rule so important that they have to let a customer risk his and his 2 friends' lives?

I limped back home, and I was fvcking pissed the entire way. I could count with my one hand the times I had been so mad. I was so pissed off at Acura of Troy, and I was pissed at Acura corporate. This is total bullshit. The dealership knew that I had to make a trip 80 miles each way to get my car serviced, and they just couldn't get it right on the first try. And had they test driven it after they did the brake job, they would've known because "I" felt it and I'm not even an ASE certified tech.

Also, the seat belt buckle still squeaks (they said they lubed it), the retractor doesn't retract fully (they said it was working fine), the new headlights cases still fog up (replaced with new ones), and now the brakes are COMPLETELY fvcked. I honestly do not feel safe driving my car at this point, and I talked to my dad tonight. He is absolutely furious. He'll probably want to go to the dealership with me, and for THEIR sake, I'm going to try to stop him from going because he'll probably beat the living shit out fo them for putting his son's life in jeopardy.

Honestly, is a test drive after a BRAKE JOB too much to ask for? They released the car to me with a huge defect, and the braking system directly affects the safety of the car and its occupants.

They are lucky that I didn't crash today or yesterday and got hurt. They would have to sign the deed over to me on Monday morning if that happened.

I had been worried about the transmission all along, and they bitch-slapped me in a way that I did not expect. Now my car is out of commission, and I am screwed. I have to call my friends for rides until Monday/Tuesday.

:ar15: Acura of Troy in Michigan... Avoid them at ALL costs.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:25 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure why that ended up happening. My blind guess is that they overfilled the brake fluid cylinder. Thats just a blind guess.

Its normally standard practice to test drive the car before giving it back to the customer if a Brake job was done.

As for Acura TLC. It totally sucks, they are only authorized to tow it to a dealer. If you want it towed home you need to use your own insurance towing coverage. That is if you have it. Did one of your friends have AAA? They could have it towed at no cost if they were a passenger.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Dude,

I think darrinb over at A-CL said that the greater Detroit dealers (less Ann Arbor) should be avoided like the plague! I was up in your neck of the woods on Saturday (Great Lakes Crossing). Surprised to see how many looks I got up there (as if they've never seen an Acura TL before).

Good luck. I just had a bad experience at Acura West (London, ON) just last month. Expecting a response from their service manager soon, otherwise my complaint goes corporate. :ar15:

- derrick
Old 05-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Hmmm...interesting. I live in Troy, MI and take both of my Acura's (2002 TL and Legend) to Acura of Troy. Never had any problems with them when they worked on my TL or Legend. I do most of the work on my own Lengend, but there are times when I have them do it.
I am curious though...why in the heck would you drive 80 miles to get your car fixed (yeah, you're family is nearby)? Why not take it to a closer dealer? There is an Acura dealer in Ann Arbor (30 miles closer). Maybe because it is too close to U of M and that they might see some big green "S" on your car? (and no, I'm not a Michigan grad nor a fan of either school). Just kidding with you here...
As far as your brake problem, never experienced that...and I had my rotors/pads change under warranty by them too. Sounds like your new brake booster might be bad. Also had my seat belt tensioner lubricated. Getting a new steering wheel this week because the leather faded on the bottom (at 6 o'clock position)...at least it has all been under warranty. No problems with the transmission (knock on wood).
Good luck to you...hopefully, you can get it fixed soon.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by 2002TL31k
Hmmm...interesting. I live in Troy, MI and take both of my Acura's (2002 TL and Legend) to Acura of Troy. Never had any problems with them when they worked on my TL or Legend. I do most of the work on my own Lengend, but there are times when I have them do it.
I am curious though...why in the heck would you drive 80 miles to get your car fixed (yeah, you're family is nearby)? Why not take it to a closer dealer? There is an Acura dealer in Ann Arbor (30 miles closer). Maybe because it is too close to U of M and that they might see some big green "S" on your car? (and no, I'm not a Michigan grad nor a fan of either school). Just kidding with you here...
As far as your brake problem, never experienced that...and I had my rotors/pads change under warranty by them too. Sounds like your new brake booster might be bad. Also had my seat belt tensioner lubricated. Getting a new steering wheel this week because the leather faded on the bottom (at 6 o'clock position)...at least it has all been under warranty. No problems with the transmission (knock on wood).
Good luck to you...hopefully, you can get it fixed soon.
Because I got my car from them, and I wanted to build a relationship with them.

By the way, how did you know I had an "S" on my car? Not that I care if U of M people see it on my car. I'm proud of State and I will walk on U of M campus naked painted in green and white if I had to.

I'm glad that you've had good experiences with Acura of Troy. But last time I went in for the brake pedal noise, a service advisor told me it was normal and that it was just the sound of brake fluid retracting in the line. I told him it wasn't normal, and he was like "OK, I'll have the techs check it out." then he called me a couple of hours later and said he ordered a new brake booster for me. This was in January, and they never called me like they said they would when the parts came in. I called and left a voicemail with the Service Director, didn't get a call back. I filled out the satisfaction survey, wrote about the incident in detail and neither the dealership or the Acura corporate contacted me. So I went in two weeks ago when I was home after spring semester was over. That's when they reordered the parts and put them on this past Thursday/Friday. They knew I was making a long trip, but not only did they do "not right", but they fucked it up to a point that my car can't be driven. A test drive after a brake job is not too much to ask for. So if you want to sit there and defend Acura of Troy, then hey, go for it. But I was scared for my life and two of my best friends' lives on the highway yesterday because Acura of Troy fucked up. That's the fact; straight and simple.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

Small world. I also live in Troy, Michigan, and went to MSU! Sparty-on.

I have only had my car since January, bought from Acura of Troy. I have had the car in twice.

1st time, was told I could just stop in for an oil change. Usual wait is an hour. Show up on at 8 AM one morning for an oil change. Checked in by sevice advisor. Have a cup of starbucks and a few of those cookies they put out. Talk to my sales rep, get some work done, watch a little CNN. An hour has elapsed. I mention to my sales guy that my car isn't done yet, he goes to check with service advisor, comes back and says should be another 15 minutes. No worries, I was in no real hurry, and it wasn't like I had an appointment. Another hour goes by, and I don't mind too much, because I am munching on more free cookies and driking more breakfast blend. Check my watch am like, 'WTF?' it has been over 2 hours and 45 minutes since my service guy said it was almost done.

I went back to check with the Serice Advisor, I couldn't eat any more cookies, I had caffeine overload, and CNN was rerunning the hell out of me, and she says, 'You are still here?' 'Uh, yeah, my car isn't ready yet I guess. What gives?'-me, she-'Let me check.' Check? Are you serious...this thing should of been done an hour ago.

Service Manager comes out and says they are really sorry, but they are computerized, and my oil change got assigned to a 'ghost tech' (an emplty slot I guess. Says they are going to pull it in now. 2.25 hours has elapsed. Now, they are feeling guilty so going to tell the people to hurry up with my car. In the end, everything was done in just under 3 hours.

The oil change was free for the first one, so I couldn't even bitch about that. Nothing else was offerred. I could of bitched more, but now I was starting to have to be somewhere.

I filled out evaluation, pissed now that I didn't raise more stink so spoke my mind, and made comments all over the place. Get a call back from the Service Manager, the same guy I talked with before, and he apologizes, begs me to try them again, but still offers nothing. Why waste my time. My car runs on oil and gas, not apologies.

2nd experience. Stop in for 2nd oil change, and am told that I should start making appointments but they would fit me in. I mention my sunroof squeek, and the service advisor asks if I can leave my car for the morning. For what? He says a different tech has to look at it. I said, 'It calls for a piece of tape man...all morning? Didn't have that kind of time. Car was done in a quick fashion.

Anyway, I will keep taking my car back there until they really F- something up. Same service everywhere else around here.

Anyone take there car to Acura in Farmington Hills? Wonder if they are any good. Sorry to hear about your brakes. Acura of Farmington Hills is closer to MSU than Troy too.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Dragging knees in

Yeah, I could've easily have gone to Ann Arbor Acura or Suburban Acura in Farmington Hills. But I bought the car from Acura of Troy and wanted to establish a good relationship with them. But that intention is quickly deteriorating.

Your salesperson was a she? What's her name?

S
Old 05-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

sorry to hear of your misfortunes with acura of troy.
i just bought a used 2000 tl from mainheim dealer auction and want to take the car to an acura dealer for oil/ transmission changes.

one acura owner suggested tamaroff honda, since acura is a high end honda is there any difference between acura or honda dealership service?
Old 05-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Dragging knees in

Some Honda dealerships refuse to service Acura vehicles. But you could try.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:04 AM
The Acura Tranny Killer

I use Acura 101 West in LA, they've always been very good (apart from selling me my car with brake pads that weren't supposed to be on there, oh well) with the services. Hell, they even service my S2000 for a better price than the Honda dealer i bought that baby from

Tracer
Old 05-25-2004, 03:34 AM
Racer

I take my TL to the honda dealer for any service b/c they are nicer, faster, and cheaper.

It doesn't make sense, but I enjoy it.

Parts are cheaper too.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Dragging knees in

The Honda dealership here at school doesn't even know that Acura TL shares the chassis and suspension with the Accord. I went in there to buy a suspension bolt, and they were like "Sorry, we don't carry Acura parts."

"But this is not Acura-specific."

"Well, we just don't carry parts for any Acura cars."

"It's the same as the '98-'02 Honda Accord."

"What? Really?"

"............. Yes....."
Old 06-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

pure adrenaline im so sorry to hear of this, im with ya on the safty issue thats why i dumped acura like a hotrock . as for your brake job they let a monkey do the work. they work for cheap p.s. i used to take my acura 03 t.l. to a honda dealer . but any ways good luck
Old 06-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Intermediate

Hey Pure Adrenaline - did you ever find out what the problem was with your car? Did Acura of Troy ever fix it?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Instructor

WOW! I am sorry to hear that! Do you know the service managers name that helped you etc? I am planning on purchasing a 04' TL w/ Navigation Automatic transmission from them in August. Perhaps I should consider taking my vehicle somewhere else to get serviced?! Look forward to your response!
Old 07-07-2004, 04:21 AM
Dragging knees in

I won't reveal names, sorry. I will offer them the protection and privilege of privacy.

2002TL31K -- It was the booster rod. They didn't adjust it correctly, so it was pushing too much pressure even when the brake pedal wasn't applied.

Thanks for the kind word, guys.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Just curious if anyone has anything to add or say since it has been over a month now since anyone posted any new info pertaining to Acura of Troy in Michigan. Thank you for your time, ALL comments are welcome.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Dragging knees in

Well, I'll say that their sales staff is good. They are courteous and helpful.

It's just their service department you should stay away from.

I went in there last week to get the driver door molding and the black tape trim on the front passenger door fixed. I pulled in behind this black TL and the service advisor guy came out to greet him. He looked at me, made eye contact, and I gave him a quick smile. He didn't even recognize my existence; I got a stiff face. Then after he was done with the black TL, he said to me, "Hey, can I help you?" in a very monotonous tone.

Maybe I'm just being too picky, but shouldn't he at least smile back, or say hi? I mean, I'm there, and it's obvious that I'm waiting for him to help me.

I just don't like their attitude, and hate their service technicians. The only reason I took it there for the work was because Mike Savoie Chevrolet next door does the body and paint work. I've taken my car there several times, and even when I had my Tahoe. The manager there, Carl Weinreich, is a really cool guy and tries to help.

As for other kinds of work, I won't take it there anymore.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, same kinda shit here @ ramsey acura (ramsey, nj)....they act like they're hot shit, stupid techs they BEAT THE SHIT out of the cars too. acura's service really pisses me off. -shawn
Old 08-25-2004, 06:28 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shawn744
yeah, same kinda shit here @ ramsey acura (ramsey, nj)....they act like they're hot shit, stupid techs they BEAT THE SHIT out of the cars too. acura's service really pisses me off. -shawn
that's where i bought my TL, and those asshats wanted $50 for the radio code. they can eat my ass for all i care. the saleskid (younger than me i am sure) did not even know that the TL rotors were not originally slotted and drilled. that's why i go to heart acura in Wappingers Falls, NY. it's right by my house and they're supposed to be rated as one of the best. once i payed for the car it was like they didn't even want me to call to make a service appointment. i am more than happy to take my money elsewhere. at least the dealership was close to the Greenfield Brazilian Steakhouse in New Hackensack

SSTS
Old 10-23-2004, 10:48 PM
6th Gear

Acura 101 has been a nightmare for me. They can't fix the seabelt or sunroof squeaks (known items) and screwed up a tranny replacement.

Who's your service adivsor? My guy calls me "SIR" every 5 seconds but NEVER hits his quoted time to call me back or have the car ready.