Acura tl vs it's Competitors

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura tl vs it's Competitors

I was just wondering what other tl owners had on their favourite list when they first bought thier tl.
What are the others cars you were considering to buy instead of the tl and what made you purchase an acura tl over your other choices. Please limit it to one or two cars.

I decided to go with my tl over the nissan maxima for several reasons.
1/ Maxima doesn't have sport shift.
2/ Maxima doesn't have a navi.
3/ It did not come fully loaded, too many options and in the used market it was had to find the right one much less the right color.

I have arguments with maxima drivers all the time. They say that a Max is way better and faster, but so far none of them want to take the test to the pitch. I have yet to race a max, just so that I have no regrets for not buying a Maxima, Who would win a 99 Acura TL Non-Type S or a 2000 Maxima (Neither with Mods). Please no Bias statements, this is an impartial debate.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Pro

i've never raced that one..........

but an 03 TL-S vs an 02 Max SE ........ I usually lose by a carlength.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:47 AM
TL-S driver

I reced a few Maxima's and I win every time. I had an 04's maxima as a loaner when my TL-S was getting a new tranny and I knew for a fact they are definitely NOT as fast as my car. Then again, the Maxima was stock and I'm not.
FidizzyTypeS, why do you lose by so much? are you in full auto? The TL-S has better numbers then the 02 Maxima.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Pro

Originally posted by goldendragon576
I reced a few Maxima's and I win every time. I had an 04's maxima as a loaner when my TL-S was getting a new tranny and I knew for a fact they are definitely NOT as fast as my car. Then again, the Maxima was stock and I'm not.
FidizzyTypeS, why do you lose by so much? are you in full auto? The TL-S has better numbers then the 02 Maxima.
Everytime without fail.........i don't understand why. When on the open highway it's fair game but off the line I see the maximas running more consistent times with what they claim than with what the TL's are supposed to run.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by goldendragon576
So are you saying that the type-s is faster but not a stock non type -s than the maxima.
I know the new o4 maxima a really fast are you exaggerating or is your car really that fast.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Racer

going bact to his original question.

I was considering the Max I purchased a 99 and after the 2000 Max and had the BMW and Audi.

The max felt like the interior was more cheaply made than the Acura.

Audi had some nice technology inside but the body styling was ok it was an A4 if it were an RS version I would consider it more but of course more expensive.

The BMW was also $$

I had a 94 Accord EX fully customized (no longer have it)

Acura just seemed the right choice.

No hiccups either just brake pad and one tire replaced.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Advanced

I looked at the following and decided on a 99TL for the reasons listed:

Maxima:poor resale value compared to the TL and they look and feel cheap to me!
BMW 328 or 330: repair cost and insur way too high.. & too many on the road
TL-S: Tranny reputation turned me off and decided I needed the peace of mind rather than the xtra 40hp
Grand Prix: Lack of decent resale value, crappy GM fit and finish along with poor reliablity did this one in
2000 CL: same reasons as the TLS plus the lack of 2 additional doors

I still want to upgrade to TLS but cant get over the fact the tranny cant seem to handle the 40 extra HP's.. I've been tossing around the idea of a CL 6SP.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Pro

Originally posted by thumpy
I looked at the following and decided on a 99TL for the reasons listed:

Maxima:poor resale value compared to the TL and they look and feel cheap to me!
BMW 328 or 330: repair cost and insur way too high.. & too many on the road
TL-S: Tranny reputation turned me off and decided I needed the peace of mind rather than the xtra 40hp
Grand Prix: Lack of decent resale value, crappy GM fit and finish along with poor reliablity did this one in
2000 CL: same reasons as the TLS plus the lack of 2 additional doors

I still want to upgrade to TLS but cant get over the fact the tranny cant seem to handle the 40 extra HP's.. I've been tossing around the idea of a CL 6SP.

all the tl's are affected not just the type-s
Old 03-22-2004, 02:55 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Going back to your original question, before buying my 03 TL-S, I was considering the Infiniti G35 coupe, but found that when you equip it with all the stuff you get in the TL, it comes out about 3 grand higher, and in my area the G35's are going for 2 to 3 grand higher than MSRP, and there is no way in hell I was paying $40K for a Infiniti.

I also looked at the BMW's, but was detered from it because when you mod it and then need to get it repaired, it would cost you an arm & leg. I was considering the Maxima, but the appearance is not there with that car. It was posted here before that our car has that reverse look curb appeal, meaning after you park it, you always turn around to look at it, you just don't get that from a Maxima.

I tried not to be biased until now, but no vehicles from Detroit were considered. Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be an American......
Old 03-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Instructor

The three cars I narrowed down to were the TL, Infiniti G35, and the Lexus ES330. I really wanted the G35, but could not get the deal I wanted so I walked away. Went next door to the Acura dealer, who gave me more than I could have imagined on the trade in and a very good discount on the TL. I am very happy with the TL.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Intermediate

i think the cars that could match the TL are the accord v6(duh) maxima, and if u wanna add like the audi a6 or somethings like that. but i can take out a TL-p anytime, never tired a TL-S yet, i think i can hang with it tho.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like my car...can careless about an IS300, 330ci, Maxima, etc...they are all junk to me, but that my biased opinion...what did you expect?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Other considerations to my 02TLS were
330i-too small and about 10K more$$ with the same equipment
G35-no good deals, and the sedan is only 260hp not 285 like the coupe-too small
S80-$$
Old 03-23-2004, 12:24 PM
TLS - The Lust Sedan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought my TL-S and test drove an IS300 and a 04 Maxima. I also test drove a CL, but I wanted a four door. They were all great cars, but they were a little more expensive...
Old 03-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

Before choosing my 2003 TL-S I looked at a number of cars:

Infiniti G35 -- heavy steering at low speed, more $$
Audi A4 -- reliability problems, uncooperative dealer, more $$
BMW -- reliability problems, more $$
Lexus IS 300 -- more $$, low WAF (wife acceptance factor; she has to drive it too)
Lexus ES 300 -- smooth, dull, more $$
MB C-class -- more $$, CD player cost extra.

I also drove a Maxima; suspension way too soft.

My final 3 were the G35, the MB C class, and the Acura. I liked the MB best, really, but the Acura is just a lot more comfort for the money.

Since buying it, I've come to love the gutsy top end -- 60 to 80 in a couple of blinks. That kind of performance makes a real difference on a road trip. I couldn't care less about drag racing between stop lights.