Acura throws in another curve ball at me...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002 | 05:33 PM
10th Gear

Acura throws in another curve ball at me...

Well, I've taken everyone's advice (thanks by the way) and I went in today to see what they would give me. The salesman I was working with wasn't there and I didn't really like this other guy that was trying to help out...

anyway, he looks at everything that the other salesman had written up for me, and then he says... "You know, why not pay a little more and get a 3.5RL with navigation for around $36,500.

Seems Acura has given dealers a $4000 incentive to sell these cars, as they have redesigned the RL. The salesman said they are going to stick with the V6 (unlike the V8's offered in other luxury cars) and they are looking at 245hp instead of the 225hp currently offered. I wasn't going to finish this deal with this mental giant of a salesman, so I decided to take the RL for a test drive. Very smooth ride, but too soft for me. Maybe some tighter springs would help level things out for me? I don't know.

First it was the Audi A4 or the TL-S. I decided on the TL-S. Then a friend of mine offered his spot for the Nissan 350Z, but not realistic for me sinc eI am getting married and we'll probably be having kids within a coupl eof years, so the TL-S won again. But now this salesman throws another curve ball by enticing me with the RL for $36,500. I walked out of there confused and bewildered. I was impressed with the RL's ride, but does anyone know any company that makes stiffer springs for the 2002 RL? I went to Comptech's website and they only have things available up to and including the 2000 model.

Once again I turn to you guys for some ideas/opinions. If I am this bad at making up my mind with a car purchase,.... Imagine what is going to happen when I buy a house.

As always thank you for your advice.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 07-29-2002 | 05:38 PM
Advanced

the RL is a pig
Old 07-29-2002 | 06:18 PM
On the way!

I don't think I'd want to buy a car knowing that the next model year was going through a complete redesign.

I'd stick with the TL - it's a better value. If you want a softer ride, you might want to stick with the regular TL (not the type S).
Old 07-29-2002 | 06:53 PM
Instructor

I think you're beginning to over-analyze. Next thing you know you'll be eying the MDX. I'd stick with the TL-S. The RL is for the elderly, and it's slow. Besides, I'm sure the maintenance and repair costs associated with the RL is higher.
Old 07-29-2002 | 07:12 PM
4dr & I like it that way

why would maitanence cost more for the RL? Get the TL-S, its better in every way then the RL, looks better, and is cheapter to boot
Old 07-29-2002 | 07:22 PM
10th Gear

I think you are right I am over-analyzing. I think I am stuck with the mindset that I am going to keep this car for the next 10 years as I have with my civic si. Trying to eliminate one variable out my life so that I concentrate on buying a house and a dental practice.

I'm suprised though that you guys think so poorly of the RL. I realize it isn't as advanced as the TL-S, but there must be some value in it. Those days of racing my car every chance I had (from red light to red light) are gone, I am more concerned about value and quality than pure hp and torque. Truth be told, if hp and torque fell into the equation that would make me happier I suppose.

Just a confused guy right now...
Old 07-29-2002 | 07:25 PM
10th Gear

oh and I've already eyed the MDX for my fiancee. Having the SUV and the sedan would cover all our needs as a new family.

One thing I am sure though is that there is no way I am buying a Chevy, GM or Ford and all the cars under their umbrellas...
Old 07-29-2002 | 09:33 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Davediego
why would maitanence cost more for the RL? Get the TL-S, its better in every way then the RL, looks better, and is cheapter to boot
Rather, repair costs would likely be greater. GoingDental said he wants to keep his car for 10 years.
Old 07-29-2002 | 10:29 PM
Pro

Originally posted by fla-tls
I don't think I'd want to buy a car knowing that the next model year was going through a complete redesign.

I'd stick with the TL - it's a better value. If you want a softer ride, you might want to stick with the regular TL (not the type S).
That's actually an argument against him buying the TL.
Old 07-30-2002 | 01:12 AM
Intermediate

GD, I saw the RL as well, and it is definitely a nice big car. And as we get older, it appeals more and more to us. I chose the TL-S for a couple of reasons. One thing you and I have in common is we both are LONG TIME Civic owners. I have had my Civic for 10 years (and I'm keeping it too!) I shopped around for everything from a Lexus to a BMW to a Mercedes. I wanted a Honda just because of how reliable mine has been, but never considered the Acura line of cars. After being told by a friend that I should really consider the TL, I took a test drive and fell in love. I knew I had to have one. Now, when it came to the TL or Type S, I opted for the sportier S model. I chose more HP, a stiffer ride, and larger wheels over the softer riding TL. I suggest you drive both the TL and Type S because there is a difference in engine/road noise, suspension, and overall ride quality. If you choose to ride quietly, softer, and overall more comfortable, then by all means go the TL route, but if you don't mind a little more noise, a stiffer ride (to benefit the sportier nature of the S), and racier seats, then go the S route.

I tested the RL as well, as you did, but felt that when it comes time to accept my age, I will jump into the larger softer ride of the RL or BMW 700's. For now, I am not too old, but not too young, so I am caught in that void of 'just what fits me'? I too am getting married (End of September) and have the same worries and thoughts you have. I chose to go the sporty route and benefit from all the comfort the TL has to offer. It definitely is more fun to drive. Make sure you realize that. Everyone I know that has a BMW, or Lexus, covets the TL. I even have a friend who owns a BMW 500 series, but just this year, picked up a TL for the fun he has behind the wheel!!

For the fun of it, go the TL route, but if you are just going to 'drive', then perhaps the RL is the choice for you.

I know which way I went, and do not regret it AT ALL.

Good luck!!
-RafConTLS
Old 07-30-2002 | 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

GoingDental, I also don't think you should buy the RL. It is too large, underpowered for its size, and costs too much for what is offered even at $36k--e.g. it is not a good deal. The TL-P, which I have, is a far better fit for you if you are seriously interested in an Acura product. It has a soft (not Caddy-soft, though) ride and 225 hp is just enough for me. Actually, the ride in both the TL-P and -S was a little too soft for me and I purchased aftermarket springs and bigger wheels. Any case, you will not find the need to make these modifications.

Outside of the issues with the car that I'm sure you're read about on this board, I think you'll be happy with a TL-P rather than a TL-S. Besides that, you get more luxury features at the price (under $30k) than you will with a comparably equipped BMW, which I guess everyone uses as a comparison.
Old 07-30-2002 | 08:26 AM
still a Masshole

I agree that if you don't need the extra sportiness of the TLS get the TLP instead of the RL. My friend's parents have a 2001 RL and the car is pretty nice inside and can move. However, the only feature I covet on the RL is the telescoping wheel and that is certainly not worth the extra $6000-8000 extra. Get the TLP and you will be happy. Its reliable (haven't heard many stories about transmission failures and what not) and it has pretty much the same goodies as the TLS minus some sportiness. Its certainly not slow and I believe all the same aftermarket goodies will fit both cars.

I opted for the TLS because I also plan on modding my car so I figured that the "S" would be my first mod, which gave me 35 more hp and 16 more torque....not to mention sportier seats and 17 inch wheels (which I hope to replace after I get married). I am somewhat in the same boat in that I am relatively young (26) and engaged. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 07-30-2002 | 10:28 AM
Instructor

Has anyone else noticed that many of the guys buying either the TL-P or -S is about to get married? I am 26 and am very seriously considering the proposal. Heh, I just thought that was odd.

Ok, RL vs TL.

You should consider the size of the car you want. Is the TL big enough for you?

TL obviously cheaper. Many people consider the TL to be the greatest value in the sedan market. period. That was HUGE for me.

If speed/handling is an issue at all, then you must purchase the TL-S.

Also, buy the Navigation on any car you get. I didn't do it two weeks ago, and now I am kicking myself. My dad just purcahsed a 03 TL with Navi last week. I didn't realize it was that simple to use.

My $0.02.
Old 07-30-2002 | 10:33 AM
still a Masshole

Originally posted by paxus
Has anyone else noticed that many of the guys buying either the TL-P or -S is about to get married? I am 26 and am very seriously considering the proposal. Heh, I just thought that was odd.

Ok, RL vs TL.

You should consider the size of the car you want. Is the TL big enough for you?

TL obviously cheaper. Many people consider the TL to be the greatest value in the sedan market. period. That was HUGE for me.

If speed/handling is an issue at all, then you must purchase the TL-S.

Also, buy the Navigation on any car you get. I didn't do it two weeks ago, and now I am kicking myself. My dad just purcahsed a 03 TL with Navi last week. I didn't realize it was that simple to use.

My $0.02.
I just turned 26 4 weeks ago and proposed on my birthday!
Old 07-30-2002 | 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here we go again guys I keep telling you that the TL models are targeted for my age range 35-45. Nobody told all you young guys to buy the cars that we like. I myself at age 40 would not buy the current RL. Don't get me wrong the car looks good but it does not compare with some other makes. It looks bland inside & out not sharpe like the TL. I am sure the RL rides pretty good but it should be up there with a Lexus LS430. I test drove one last summer & that car is a dream. I was at the Cadillac Motor Trend World Challenge & got to test quite a few models of Benz, BMW,Jags & some other makes like the Lexus LS430 & Linc LS to compare against Caddys cars. We had the chance to push them around cones hard at a stadium parking lot. I drove at a normal speed like real world driving. I wanted to see how fast the car could get up to 60 how much body roll around turns like an off ramp. I also checked how the brakes worked & the sterring felt to me. The LS430 suited my taste compared to some other more exspensive makes. The RL should be even with a car like the LS430. The TL to me is a much better deal than RL all around when you factor in price, looks, performance resale or trade -in value.
Old 07-31-2002 | 02:02 PM
Racer

And don't really count on keeping your Acura for 10 years. That is a mind set I have when buying a car, and the longest I kept one is under 3 years... Of course, everyone is different... but once you have means to get something different, it is hard to resist...

It is all about what you want - sporty ride and mods or big size and softer ride, what kind of image you want to project. Also, I think TL says "young professional" (or young at heart ), while RL is for "older" people...
Old 07-31-2002 | 02:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

The RL isn't much bigger than the TL so don't pick it because of size.
Except for a little bit of hip room, the interior demensions are all within
a half inch. Either you want an entry level Luxury or Luxury/Sport.
Performance or comfort... if you're gonna get springs to stiffen the
ride of the RL, then you might as well just get the TLS with sporter
suspension, more horsepower and for 4 grand less.
Old 08-01-2002 | 08:14 PM
10th Gear

Well, thought I should update you guys. I've decided to go with... nothing for now. I'm going to Greece next week to relax and recover from dental school, and when I come back I'll sit down and work things out. Your suggestions have been very insightful and have helped to keep me on the right track... that is to purchase a TL-S. Seriously though spending a little of the money I set aside for this car, on my trip to Greece was a no brainer.

I'll be in touch ladies and gents after my vacaciones are over. Again, thanks for your input... and I'll be sure to posts some pics of what I end up with and perhaps a few pictures from Greece as well.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 08-02-2002 | 03:34 PM

RL=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I don't even think they offer aftermarket shocks/springs, get the TL-S hands down.
Old 08-03-2002 | 07:47 PM
Instructor

The next RL will most probably be a 300HP V6 with AWD and a much rakier shape. More like the TL in the front with VERY agressive headlight arrangement, much more pronounced V in the grille shape. The roof will be simmilar in shape to the A-4 sleek and rounded. The rear will me tight and angular. The instumentation will be electrolum like a lexus the Navi will be larger and higher in the dash and controled by a "joystick" like in the new BMW 7. Most likely not touch screen as it would be an uncomfortble reach. Price should be mid 40s.
And if this is just a little too close for comfort F-Acura until they fix my car, I wouldn't touch another of their products with a 10' pole.
Old 08-03-2002 | 10:21 PM
Pro

This should help :-)

I have a 2002 TL/S, my 71 year old father-in-law wanted a 2000 TL-P, and ended up with a 1998 RL w/ Nav after one drive.

The RL is about as perfect a car as you can buy in regards to luxury ride and engineering. They simply last forever, have very LOW maintenance costs, five-star ratings all around, ultra-relaible. The state-of-the-art in Acura engineering.

But it is a LUXURY car, forget 0-60 and tight cornering, this car has a big and plush interior, is whisper quiet, and you feel like your in your living room. The ride is soft but reasonable, and not as bad as a Mercury or Lincoln. If you want a very relaxing commute, this is the car - hands down.

All this being said, the RL is terribly overpriced when new, hasn't changed much in five years, is so reliable it can be considered boring, and few of the executives and older folks the car is targeted at even know it exists, and Acura knows it.

That's the reason for the big $4,000 incentive. You can bargain like crazy and still have the dealer begging you to drive it off the lot.

So my advice:

If you like the RL, get one, but get one that's 2-3 years old. You should have no problem finding one in mint condition with under 40K miles for under $25K. Really.

On the other hand, if the RL is too big and a bit too soft for you, a TL-P would do nicely too.

Personally, and all things being equal, I'd probably opt for the RL. You get more car for your money, and something that will definitely last the ten years you want to put on it.

A 10-year old TL would look like a 10-year old car. A ten year old RL would just still look like an RL :-)
Old 08-04-2002 | 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by jbs221
The next RL will most probably be a 300HP V6 with AWD and a much rakier shape. More like the TL in the front with VERY agressive headlight arrangement, much more pronounced V in the grille shape. The roof will be simmilar in shape to the A-4 sleek and rounded. The rear will me tight and angular. The instumentation will be electrolum like a lexus the Navi will be larger and higher in the dash and controled by a "joystick" like in the new BMW 7. Most likely not touch screen as it would be an uncomfortble reach. Price should be mid 40s.
And if this is just a little too close for comfort F-Acura until they fix my car, I wouldn't touch another of their products with a 10' pole.
Where did you get this info from?? Doesn't sound like a Full sized luxury sedan from Acura needs AWD ... that's Audi's "bag," baby, and neither BMW nor Mercedes nor Lexus would ever follow suit w/ that ... not necessary. Why would Acura?
Old 08-04-2002 | 06:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by PeterUbers

Where did you get this info from?? Doesn't sound like a Full sized luxury sedan from Acura needs AWD ... that's Audi's "bag," baby, and neither BMW nor Mercedes nor Lexus would ever follow suit w/ that ... not necessary. Why would Acura?
Who said it would be a "Full" sized car. More like between TL and "Full" sized. Maybe "E" sized.

Oh, and BTW I saw a full scale mock-up.