AC/Heater Fan Stuck on High

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AC/Heater Fan Stuck on High

I'm at work but just got a call from my wife who's driving our 2000 Acura TL:

She says driving down the road, heat is on, all of a sudden the display where you set the desired temperature reads "20" and the fans kick on "high". She couldn't turn the fans down or off, so she pulled over and cut off the car, the fans stopped, she then tried to start the car and nothing happened, it wouldn't even crank. She waited about 2 minutes and cranked the car back up no problem, the fans were on high and when she tried to turn them off, it worked.

So now she's just driving with the fans off but the car appears to be running normally other than that.

I found a very similar problem with 3rd gen TL's where the problem is the Blower Motor Resistor which is about $70 and when replaced, resolves the issue. However, I can't find any one with a 2nd gen who's had this issue. Here's the thread for that:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/c-wont-turn-off-785932/

I did have the typical fan blower harness problem a couple months back (where it was melted) and I rewired it with no problems since, could they be related? I had her check my re-wiring and she said it looks normal, nothing was burned or melted and she never smelled anything.

I'm thinking the non-crank issue is unrelated to the fan issue since it wouldn't do anything, and then cranked right up. Do these vehicles have some type of "cool down" where you have to wait a minute or so between turning it off and back on? As I'm typing this I'm realizing that she turned the car off while in "D" and while we were on the phone she put it in "P", I'm now thinking she tried to crank it while in "D" which wouldn't have worked at all and once she put it back in "P" it started right up, does that sound right?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Just an update:

The starting issue was definitely just because she had it in "D" instead of "P", her fault.

She has since used the AC/Heat and blower without fault a couple times today but I'm worried it will happen again sometime on a long trip so I'd like to get to the bottom of the problem.

I'm still looking and hopeful for any input some of you can provide, thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey Thirstyturtle, our Gen 2's definitely have the "resistor" failing issue, along with the wiring harness.
If you try doing a Search , You'll come up with several hits !
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
yep--remove cabin blower motor- see cabin filter replacement diy
look on mounting plate for a finned thing- remove finned cover (heat shroud)
see burnt out looking part now--thats the resistor

its not unusual to burn it out when you have the bad power connector problem
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
yep--remove cabin blower motor- see cabin filter replacement diy
look on mounting plate for a finned thing- remove finned cover (heat shroud)
see burnt out looking part now--thats the resistor
I will check out that DIY for the removal process. Do you know if the part number is the same as for the 3rd gens? That part number is listed on the thread I added in my first post but I suspect it's different for the 2nd gens.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
its not unusual to burn it out when you have the bad power connector problem
Does this mean the damage to the resistor would have been done before i fixed the melted fan connector? I just want to make sure that something I did isn't what potentially ruined the resistor (although I'm quite confident in my wiring job :0)

Finally, since the fans are now operating properly does that still mean it's the resistor? I don't know why it would be intermittent.

I'm going to the junk yard today to get something for my Golf and there are 6 2nd gen TL's on the lot so I'll probably grab one or two resistors from those and save myself lots of money :0)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
You can try a used one, but new ones are not all that expensive.
Look for the lowest mileage of the 6 available. Maybe grab some other parts for a package deal.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
when the cabin fan is running on High/5 its pulling a lot of power/amps/heat thru a weak connector
Its not your fault about other parts demise in the same system- it happened with the failure of connector- not after or during install
Do you need a note for your wife?

its a common thing to occur together--thats why you got such fast answers
lower fan speeds draws less power,,,gets enough juice thru for the fan on low,,for now

short burst of electricity from bad wires etc..not cool

remember the finned part is a cover!

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 11-16-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys i have the same problem. i replace the relay and the resistor behind the blower motor. and still it stuck on high. are you guys saying that there is another resistor inside the blower motor ? please help thanks alot .....thirstyturtle sorry to come on your post man im just trying to solve this ...i feel your pain