About to buy headers OBX, Megan Racing, Or DC sport..Pros @ Cons..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
About to buy headers OBX, Megan Racing, Or DC sport..Pros @ Cons..

I am getting to buy headers in the next week or two (finally put enough cash aside) Now after doing my research I am 100% Torn...
I was first going to go with OBX ss headers or Megan Racing headers (I found them both for about $300 shipped) BUT alot of people are saying to just spend a extra $80 and go with DC sport headers part#HHC5528..
I have read that the old DC sport headers had fitment issues and its fixed now but HAVE NOT talked to anyone that put #HHC5528 on there car..
Can you TL guys PLEASE help me make up my mind..
If you have any of these 3 headers can you post which ones you have and if there where any fitment issues and how do they sound ( hissing , leaks )
and what you think of the overall performance.
I did a TON of searching and everytime I had my heart set on a set The next post changed my mind to a other header and then I read a little more and changed my mind AGAIN..

I know everyone has diff opinions on this but this would really help me and others that are searching for headers for there TL or CL...

I have a 2001 CL type-S auto and did searching in that forum and posted there but havent really got much help, I also did hours with the search button but like I said IT made me go from OBX to Megan and now im stuck on DC new design but have not spoke or heard of anyone that has the #HHC5528 So please help me out guys if u have one of the 3 headers..

Please I am not gonna save up anouther $200 and search for some used Comptechs so that is out of the question...

Thank u in advance!!

P.S. Does anyone know if Excelerate has the new DC sport headers in stock i read I few month back that they where on back order and PM'd him with no response yet..
Old 05-17-2009, 05:38 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
1 more question I had about headers is how is the gas miliage (when driving normal)
Has your MPG inproved at all after the headers? I would think if the engin breaths easier then the MPG should be better.. Anyone notice better MPG?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your fuel mileage shouldn't be effected much either way, not a noticeable amount at least.

As for Excelerate, call him.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
some have had OBX.. fitment is no good...

z3ro has megan. he likes it.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wrong forum jjashaa, back to the wheel-pen for you!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

^

lol.. yea man, this performance stuff is new to me...
jk
lol
HEY! you get my PM?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with the DC sport headers once the new version comes out or when Excelerate has it.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
I talked to BraveDemon who had the updated DC Sports headers and he had no fitment issues. But Excelerate hasn't gotten stock in since Sept. or Oct., they've been promising to make more since November and the new ETA is July...
Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
B A N N E D

I would really love to see how much HP increase the DC sport hhc5528 really do get?
Do u think it is 25 HP to the wheels like comptech does cuz they look alot diff so I dont know if air flows as freely as the comptech, obx, or megan headers!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

dc works just as well as comptech

if you've even seen how our headers are designed.. i bet most of our gains come from how drastically the manifold changes from stock to aftermarket..

old pic..

Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Megans and they are ok. The fitment was pretty good. The only down fall on the Megans I have is the resonance(sp?). It sounds like a cricket is in the engine compartment at certain RPMs. I was thinking about switching them out and was in the same boat as you were. I was thinking about the SSautochrome ones on ebay. They are the comptech clones. I heard they are pretty good with the fit and does not have the resonance. I would look into thoughs they are pretty cheap too. i think they are like $120ish or so. look them up on ebay. they are listed usually.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, i also have the ss-autochrome ones, also known as XS headers. they work great, no resonance. the thing purrs.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so now you have to look at 4 possible headers to buy :P
Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by heyitsvu
so now you have to look at 4 possible headers to buy :P
NO...

The SSchrome (XS headers) are NO LONGER made, I called the company and wrote the guy he said that they are not getting any more in.
The ones on E-bay Are not sschrome, The ones on e-bay are NOT sschrome XSheaders like everyone has. The ones on E-bay have 2 flex pipes and SSchrome only have one. The ones on e-bay ARE NOT XS or SSCHROME Headers like everyone has and likes...

BUT if u know where I can get SSchrome XS headers I would jump all over it (they are the ones with the one flex pipe like comptech's or OBX, megans)

So there are ONLY 3 good or OK choices of headers that will not break the bank OBX, MEgan and DC... The ebay ones with 2 flex pipoes ARE GARBAGE!!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by heyitsvu
yeah, i also have the ss-autochrome ones, also known as XS headers. they work great, no resonance. the thing purrs.
Some XS headers give resonance, they are not all problem free
Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by AMGala
Some XS headers give resonance, they are not all problem free
Ut doesnt matter if there great , good or suck they ARE NOT available anymore. I have been looking for a set for 6 months now and they are no longer made. I called the company and the owner said they are never going to get them again so there is no use in getting worked up about them cuz you can't get them...

If someone wants to sell me a used set i will pay you $150 shipped for them.
Thats $30 more then they cost shipped when they where available!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:18 AM

I am replacing my XS headers with Comptechs soon (I got a deal I couldn't refuse), so I'll sell my XS to you. And actually, when I got them XS they were $145.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
B A N N E D

I am replacing my XS headers with Comptechs soon (I got a deal I couldn't refuse), so I'll sell my XS to you. And actually, when I got them XS they were $145.
They are the ones with the 1 flex pipe..correct?
Im guessing yours resonate?
Keep me informed!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by StonedCL
They are the ones with the 1 flex pipe..correct?
Im guessing yours resonate?
Keep me informed!
Yup, 1 flex pipe. As far as the resonance, they do have a little bit of resonance some days, but nothing drastic. Usually it happens a little on cold days, but once the engine warms up it stops. And I'm guessing that the resonance is because when I installed them, I tightened the bolts as I went. You are supposed to keep the bolts all a bit loose and then tighten them slowly all together (not just one section at a time).
Old 05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
B A N N E D

Yup, 1 flex pipe. As far as the resonance, they do have a little bit of resonance some days, but nothing drastic. Usually it happens a little on cold days, but once the engine warms up it stops. And I'm guessing that the resonance is because when I installed them, I tightened the bolts as I went. You are supposed to keep the bolts all a bit loose and then tighten them slowly all together (not just one section at a time).
When r u looking to take those headers off?
I'm looking to do some more research (hopefully some more owners of these 3 headers can chime in) and buy some headers soon. Then I think I will be pretty much done upgrading my ride. I did CAI, option lightweight pulley for the engine (headers comming soon) and suspension was totally redone (B@G shocks/springs Progress rear sway bar and moog sway bar links.
SO I am Done upgrading after headers and I will be 100% satisfied with my ride for anouther 2 years!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM

Well I should be receiving the CTs towards the end of the week, so then it just comes down to when I have time to get them installed (I'm not bothering to install them myself this time). So...relatively soon.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jjashaa
dc works just as well as comptech

if you've even seen how our headers are designed.. i bet most of our gains come from how drastically the manifold changes from stock to aftermarket..

There's a member with an NBP that's running DC headers and other bolt-ons, and his dyno is comparable to those with CT headers and the same bolt-ons.

I'm still running the first version of the DC headers. Through a lot of trial and error I was able to get collector gaskets that eliminated the leak and resonance from that 2-bolt design, and they've been great for over 2 years. Mine look good too - the ceramic coating has held up well.

Last edited by bonknhead; 05-19-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Pro

dont even bother with SS autochrome headers, they are trash. mine had about 20 cracks in them, the flex pipe snapped in half and the metal is so thin its almost impossible to weld on.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by dsickles
dont even bother with SS autochrome headers, they are trash. mine had about 20 cracks in them, the flex pipe snapped in half and the metal is so thin its almost impossible to weld on.
once again...

its either you're lucky or you're not....
Old 05-19-2009, 06:48 PM
B A N N E D

Yeah thats what I am think, expecially USED xs headers...
Im starting to lean to megan headers, I hear there customer service is 2nd to none, people that got them and had problems where sent new J-pipes and stuff like that..
STill on the fence DC or Megan..HMM.. I dunno...
Do DC headers come with some kind of warrenty?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah thats what I am think, expecially USED xs headers...
Im starting to lean to megan headers, I hear there customer service is 2nd to none, people that got them and had problems where sent new J-pipes and stuff like that..
STill on the fence DC or Megan..HMM.. I dunno...
Do DC headers come with some kind of warrenty?
Yep, 1 year. DC Sports customer service is pretty good now that that one buffoon is gone.

When I had fitment problems with that 1st gen set of headers, they sent me different gaskets until one set worked. In the meantime, they sent me a set of the 2nd gen headers, just in case. I ended up sending that 2nd gen set back to them (on their dime of course), then complained that I had spent a lot of time in the install shop with them trying the different gaskets. Although the shop didn't charge me anything extra for the trial-and-error, DC Sports gave me a $100 check for my time and trouble. Class act.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 PM

I would've gotten DC Sports if they ever made new ones...I had been waiting since October
Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
DC is on backorder; supposedly the end of May is the due date but I will believe it when I see it.

In terms of the ebay headers you get what you pay for. Here's a pic of an ebay header that is restricting flow so much on a S/Ced TSX that the car is losing 50whp.

This is the Topspeed ebay header. The flex section flares down to 20mm That is about 3/4 of an inch. This is why we repeatedly tell customers to buy quality parts that actually have R&D behind them. What was thought to be an issue with the CT supercharger or the ACM or the Hondata reflash or the Honda motor (VTEC) really came down to poor quality parts from overseas. Please let this be a good reminder to all who mod that not all parts are the same; just b/c the header looks nice and looks the same doesn't mean it is.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I would get the DC one
Old 05-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
near 100k miles on mine and not one issue. So i wouldnt say they are trash.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
near 100k miles on mine and not one issue. So i wouldnt say they are trash.
sounds like you got lucky. ive put 30,000 miles on mine since i got them and they are basically scrap metal at this point. Buyer beware.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM
B A N N E D

I heard that the DC sport headers dont come with the J-Pipe just the 2 header pipes.
You have to reuse your stock j pipes?
I think i am gonna go with megan headers alot of people have had great experiences with there customer service!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

I heard that the DC sport headers dont come with the J-Pipe just the 2 header pipes.
You have to reuse your stock j pipes?
I think i am gonna go with megan headers alot of people have had great experiences with there customer service!
O.o?? say what?

all of the available headers come with two manifolds and one downpipe(j-pipe)
Old 05-20-2009, 05:37 PM
B A N N E D

O.o?? say what?

all of the available headers come with two manifolds and one downpipe(j-pipe)
IF DC sport headers are $340 - $360 for just the 2 manifold pipes and NO J-Pipes ( thats what i am told ) and Megan Racing headers come with EVERYTHING 2 manifold pipes and J-Pipe for $280 shipped. Most people that have Megan racing headers ARE pleased with the fitment and performance and those that had problems with fitment where sent a J-Pipe with no questions asked by megan racing.... So I think Megan headers it is!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

IF DC sport headers are $340 - $360 for just the 2 manifold pipes and NO J-Pipes ( thats what i am told ) and Megan Racing headers come with EVERYTHING 2 manifold pipes and J-Pipe for $280 shipped. Most people that have Megan racing headers ARE pleased with the fitment and performance and those that had problems with fitment where sent a J-Pipe with no questions asked by megan racing.... So I think Megan headers it is!
wth are you talkin about. DC comes with 2 manifolds and a down pipe.. lol.. whoever you heard that from is insane...
Old 05-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

i like how the way the 2 collectors merge on the DC compare to megans.. i'd say the DC has a way smoother flow compared to the MEGANs with a 90 deg

MEGAN

DC

Old 05-20-2009, 05:48 PM
B A N N E D

wth are you talkin about. DC comes with 2 manifolds and a down pipe.. lol.. whoever you heard that from is insane...
This guy camaroracer016 called a place b4 he ordered the new design #HHC5528 and they told him it does not come with a J-Pipe!

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/dc-sport-headers-part-hhc5528-any-fitment-issues-726778/

would think all of them did but why would the guy tell him it did not?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

compare to COMPTECH

and the XS-P ones..

B A N N E D

i like how the way the 2 collectors merge on the DC compare to megans.. i'd say the DC has a way smoother flow compared to the MEGANs with a 90 deg

MEGAN

DC

The bottom pic is DC sport #HHC5528?
Avant Garde Wheels

This guy camaroracer016 called a place b4 he ordered the new design #HHC5528 and they told him it does not come with a J-Pipe!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726778

would think all of them did but why would the guy tell him it did not?
cuz its called a downpipe not a j-pipe?

Quick Reply: About to buy headers OBX, Megan Racing, Or DC sport..Pros @ Cons..