99 3.2tl road trip results

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008 | 04:13 PM
Advanced

99 3.2tl road trip results

Hey guys. ive been chekcing out the forums for a while now, and finally decided to become a member. This is a little breifing of my experiance with my car...

I purchased 1999 acura 3.2tl at 220 000Km for $9,000 in February 2006.
Since then, i had an accident which entails me going over a 4 foot drop at 70km/h.
I got downtown acura to replace my tranny sinc eit was almost dead. i changed timing belt and water pump, spark plugs, air filter, and various other miscellanious things. the car is now at 280 000km. i recently drove from toronto to calgary alberta without stop with the exception of gas, and did the same thing coming back.. now, although the car gives me favious problems like, check engin and traction control lights coming on and staying on when starting in cold weather (which i resolve by warming it up and restarting the car) i must say, this car is great. for those who dont know, toronto to calgary is a 36 hour drive, and to do it without stop both ways is pretty impressive i think, well, for a car with my milage. the car is definately due for a tune up including, brakes, joint work, suspension work, and according to acura i need to replace 2 of my 3 engin mounts.

so anyway, just basically saying that with all the abuse this car has taken...im very pleased with it and would recommend a TL to anyone..
Old 03-26-2008 | 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

holly shit man, thats alot of KM, I only got 165 on mine. how much did it cost to replace the tranny? or did the insurance cover it after your little "jump"?
Old 03-26-2008 | 06:36 PM
Advanced

well, i didnt make an insurance claim...the only things that needed immediate attention was the exhaust which broke off at the catalytic converter...when i replaced the tranny, downtown acura charged me about 5 thousand if i remember correctly. the trany swap was done at about 150 or 160 thousand Km..
Old 03-26-2008 | 07:58 PM
T-Swzy

are we talking about a sudden drop here? that's pretty drastic lol
Old 03-26-2008 | 09:55 PM
Advanced

haha, ya, its a suddden drop. from one platform to the other kinda thing
Old 03-27-2008 | 07:55 AM
I got the Shifts

story plz...
Old 03-27-2008 | 08:35 PM
Sun☆Works FL

Where was this sudden drop? That sounds crazy. lol.
Old 03-27-2008 | 10:07 PM
hates the winter

yeah, I want more info on this.
Old 03-28-2008 | 02:26 AM
Advanced

alright fellas, ill give you the full story. I was working rd construction with a friend and we had both just finieshed working a full 24 hour shift. We finished work at about 5am. we both got in our cars and left work at about 5:30am and drove down together towards home. we were talking to eachother on our cell phones and he mentioned that his stereo stopped working all of a sudden. I forgot to mention we were "driving fun" (a.k.a. speeding, racing). i said follow me into this parking lot and we will look at it. i spead through the parking lot going about 100km/h when i noticed the parking lot was much shorter than it seemed and was seperated by a fence. (it was just getting light out and i was tired, so i didnt notice the fencefrom far). I hit the brakes and abs kicked in. thats when i realized im not going to be able to stop in time, so i cranked the wheel to try and make the turn (going about 60 or 70km/h) the car turned slightly but not sharp enough and i went crashing through the fence which seperated one parking lot from another at a 4 foot drop. i cought my breath and went to drive off not to get cought for driving through the fence and thats when i realized my winshield was cracked and the exhaust had broken. my friend finally pulls up and asks "how did you get down there?" i was pissed, but he didnt realize what had happened yet. i was standing outside of my car at this point to check out body damage (some minor dents and scratches, front bumper cracked) i got back in the car to drive out of there and realized i was in a storage complex that was gated and the only way out is with a security card. at this point i thought i was screwed and would have alot of explaining to do to the cops. i figured i could tell them i must have had oil or somehting on my tires from work (road construction). the maintenance guy or whoever at the storage complex came out and asked what happened. i told him the oil lie, and thats when he told me someone was leaving and i should quickly go follow to get out before he goes. I was super suprised this guy helped me out. i drove down the road with the exhaust making lots of noise due to being broken at the catalytic converter and hid in a parking lot behind a building. called a tow truck and got the car towed to a mechanic i know. i didnt want to drive incase the cops stop me and ask what happened or want me to report damage at a collision center.

after all was said and done... the body work and windshield cost me about $1000 to fix and replace.

the suspension is still affected as i have not got that looked at. im sure the ball joints or somehting were also affected. since the car landed on the drivers side front tire first, since i was partially turned when i was airborn, im sure there is minor warping of the frame. when i took car for oil change acura told me 2 of the 3 engoin mounts are cracked. some of the plastic under the hood is cracked. and god knows what else went wrong that i havent discovered yet.

all in all, im impressed with how the car overall stayed in one peice from the accident. solid car. oh and the stabalizer bushings need to be replaced.