2002 Maxima SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Maxima SE

I am in the market for 2003 TLS but I am now stongly considering a 2002 Maxima SE. I am convinced that the build quality of the Maxima is not on par with the Acura and the 4-speed trans. is also a bit of a surprise.

I have read most of the minimal disussion on this board comparing these 2 but can anyone provide any personal experiences on these 2 cars. I have already test driven the TLS and will be test driving the SE tomorrow.

P.s. I am work with an Ex-Honda of America employee who claims that Acura is currently working on a midsize sedan to go head to head with BMW's 3 series and the IS300. At the time of his departure in 2001 they were discussing buidling the platform off of the MDX's AWD drivetrain. Mst likely a 2004 or 2005 model.

JCG
Old 05-04-2002, 12:13 AM
Comptech Freak

wow...are u sure??

this is great...i heard they will beef up their engine lineup too...the current MDX engine will have a 3.8 liter of displacement...
Old 05-04-2002, 12:45 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

The Maxima's interior is not on par with Acuras for sure, however, overall build quality is as good IF NOT BETTER. The Maximas are still built in Japan and the car is absolutely SOLID. Both cars have equal performance in auto form but the Maxima also comes with a 6 speed manual. The Maxima is also a good deal cheaper now because they can be haggled for below invoice (trust me on this as tons of people on Maxima.org have just bought one).

Keep in mind, the Acura has a superior rear setup with IRS while the Maxima has a multilink beam but with the more aggressive stock setup of the Maxima, performance is equal. Comfort goes with the Acura (very nice ride). Beware of TLS trannies as they are extremely suspect up to this point. Consider an extended warranty if you go with acura because of the tranny. The Acura dealerships are usually much better than Nissans. If you pay a little more, the I35 from Infiniti is a Maxima clone but you get Infiniti service which is better than Acura's service (only second to Lexus).
Old 05-04-2002, 01:03 AM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
I test drove the 02 TLS, 01' Maxima SE and the 01' Millenia S. Neither of which had the acceleration responsiveness nor handling of the TLS. We drove down a street name Tantalus (here in Honolulu, which is similar to SF's Lombard street) at 40 mph. The TLS carved up the "S" and hairpin turns with the VSA on. The Maxima responded more like a family sedan (perhaps some springs and sways would help). I was so unimpressed with the Millenia S and its "Miller cycle engine", that I didn't even bother taking it up the hill, although its a good looking car. The TLS also came better cosmetics like the lack of an antenna, exhaust tips (Max had none). Besides nearly every 01' SE sold in Hawaii was a silver automatic with black lettering. And the TLS was less expensive (I would never say cheaper). The SE only has the HP it has 'cause the designers of the Altima secretly made a better car. But don't get me wrong since I was in high school I wanted a Maxima, I'd never say its not a worthy purchase. But I knew at some point I'd kick myself in the a$$ if I didn't buy the TLS. But this all just my personal opinion. Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2002, 08:16 AM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

JCG,

You can't go wrong with either the Maxima or the TL/S. I have own my 02 Max SE since October and I love it I looked at the TL/S and CL/S before going with the Max. Both cars are being redesigned soon so keep that in mind. When do you want to purchase your next car? If you can wait untill later in the year. There are a lot of new disigns coming out this fall ex. G35 coupe and 350Z. The 2003 Max is rumored to be coming out late spring early summer. It will still be the 5th gen body but come with Titanium Edition cosmetics.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Banned

Sorry but I had a 2001 Maxima SE 5spd loaded with all options. Car in build quality was good for the price, but it was not on par with Acuras. Rattle problems were known, paint quality is crap on Nissans, and poor customer service. I sold my Maxima and got my CL-S and haven't been happier. The Type-S will out handle a Maxima easily in the turns even if it has suspension.

Also resale is great on Acuras on the Nissan's its terrible.

Example.

My 2001 Maxima SE 5spd MSRP was 29k when I bought it. I paid 26,800. It was loaded. 1 year later and 16k of miles, I got 17k for it. Yeah thats it, that is all its worth. Sorry that proved I won't buy a Nissan again for a long time.

Originally posted by EZZ
The Maxima's interior is not on par with Acuras for sure, however, overall build quality is as good IF NOT BETTER. The Maximas are still built in Japan and the car is absolutely SOLID. Both cars have equal performance in auto form but the Maxima also comes with a 6 speed manual. The Maxima is also a good deal cheaper now because they can be haggled for below invoice (trust me on this as tons of people on Maxima.org have just bought one).

Keep in mind, the Acura has a superior rear setup with IRS while the Maxima has a multilink beam but with the more aggressive stock setup of the Maxima, performance is equal. Comfort goes with the Acura (very nice ride). Beware of TLS trannies as they are extremely suspect up to this point. Consider an extended warranty if you go with acura because of the tranny. The Acura dealerships are usually much better than Nissans. If you pay a little more, the I35 from Infiniti is a Maxima clone but you get Infiniti service which is better than Acura's service (only second to Lexus).
Old 05-05-2002, 12:45 PM
7th Gear

I used to love Maximas until I bought my 2000 GLE, loaded. I just traded it in, and after checking out the Infiniti I35, used beemer 330's and a bunch of other also-rans, I bought a 2003 TL Type S, w Navi. I am giddy with delight over this awesome car.

Problems with the Maxima: Horrible, horrible paint. chips, marks, blemishes from plastic shopping baskets, just the worst. I also grew to loathe the appearance of the thing. Sorry, it just looks to me like a toad. The TL may not be the most innovative design, but it looks a whole lot more like my idea of a $30K+ vehicle.

Also, the automatic in the Max simply sucks, at least for the 2000 model year. It had a sickening pause while shifting from 1st to 2nd. Nissan posted a TSB to fix this apparently widespread issue, but swapping out the part didn't really solve the problem.

Which brings me to a very important point: Every Nissan dealer I've dealt with has been a total bottom-feeder. Miserable experiences every time I walked through the three dealers in this area. I can't even be sure Maxwell Nissan in Round Rock Texas even really changed out the part for the tranny problem. Acura is simply so much better. Read Consumer Reports on national satisfaction with dealerships of the various manufacturers. You will see how Buick stays in business with overpriced rotten cars, but Nissan/Mistubishi are struggling. They are always at the bottom of the satisfaction rankings.

I would really think twice before buying another of their cars, even if they were comparable to the Acuras, which in my opinion they aren't.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:45 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by SilverBulletCLS
Sorry but I had a 2001 Maxima SE 5spd loaded with all options. Car in build quality was good for the price, but it was not on par with Acuras. Rattle problems were known, paint quality is crap on Nissans, and poor customer service. I sold my Maxima and got my CL-S and haven't been happier. The Type-S will out handle a Maxima easily in the turns even if it has suspension.

Also resale is great on Acuras on the Nissan's its terrible.

Example.

My 2001 Maxima SE 5spd MSRP was 29k when I bought it. I paid 26,800. It was loaded. 1 year later and 16k of miles, I got 17k for it. Yeah thats it, that is all its worth. Sorry that proved I won't buy a Nissan again for a long time.

Let me put it this way...my best friend has a '00 Maxima SE...I HAD an '02 TL-S...he has not had a single problem with his Maxima, only has done routine maintenance...I had 2 tranny failures in my TL-S...finally got rid of it. I know this is not the norm, but there have been a lot of tranny failures reported here. I also have an '01 Pathfinder that has been excellent, not a single issue. The Nissan Dealer leaves a lot to be desired. I now have an Infiniti G35 to replace the Acura, and the Infiniti dealer is heads above the Nissan AND Acura dealer. I think the Maxima is still a contender.
Old 05-05-2002, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by garylee55

Let me put it this way...my best friend has a '00 Maxima SE...I HAD an '02 TL-S...he has not had a single problem with his Maxima, only has done routine maintenance...I had 2 tranny failures in my TL-S...finally got rid of it. I know this is not the norm, but there have been a lot of tranny failures reported here. I also have an '01 Pathfinder that has been excellent, not a single issue. The Nissan Dealer leaves a lot to be desired. I now have an Infiniti G35 to replace the Acura, and the Infiniti dealer is heads above the Nissan AND Acura dealer. I think the Maxima is still a contender.
hey man, hows the G35 compare to a TLS? I test drove the G35, and thought it was ok, but the TLS felt like it pulled harder!! I actually ended up buying a TLP, because of the way it handled road bumps! Also what are some of the things you miss in your acura, compared to the G?
Old 05-05-2002, 07:53 PM
Racer

I have owned two maxima SE models, an 86 and a 98, drove the crap out of both of them and never had any problems or complaints. I loved those cars. I am going to be buying a new car in the next few months and just drove the maxima last weekend and did not like it at all. I'm not sure what it is about that car but it has lost that sporty feel my last two maximas had, it also felt very heavy when I was driving it.

So far the TL is at the top of my list, not sure if I will get the TL or TL-S, I'll know in a few weeks.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:24 PM
Instructor

I have a Maxima right now, but I'm looking at a 3.2TL.

I just plain think its a better car with better quality.

But of course, this is subjective.

If you want me to tell you why, go to www.maxima.org My screen name is ScreamingVQ with 2k Max

Otherwise, you Max folks should drive a TL with an open mind and see the light.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Comptech Freak

there's always sth that u can pick from a car...whatever it is a crap one or a gd one...

TL-P has great value...it's 3k dollar less than type S and they are pretty much same if u don't like to push hard...

i found no difference in the test drive below 5000rpm...

and it's more comfortable...save a couple thousand for the mods...

the tranny problem...if u don't push it hard...it won't be a problem...i don't care coz i would go to high rpm everytime...especially i am driving an automatic...

every automatic transmission will fail if it's overheated...it's not just our car's issue
Old 05-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by torqueaholic

hey man, hows the G35 compare to a TLS? I test drove the G35, and thought it was ok, but the TLS felt like it pulled harder!! I actually ended up buying a TLP, because of the way it handled road bumps! Also what are some of the things you miss in your acura, compared to the G?
The only thing I miss about the TL-S was what it was like when it actually ran! The G handles road bumps better than the TL...longer wheelbase, and a quieter ride. Also, I like the RWD better...forgot what that was like having driven FWD for for so many years!
Old 05-06-2002, 01:35 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by garylee55

The only thing I miss about the TL-S was what it was like when it actually ran! The G handles road bumps better than the TL...longer wheelbase, and a quieter ride. Also, I like the RWD better...forgot what that was like having driven FWD for for so many years!
but not up north...
u don't want ur car got stuck in snow during winter...although i only happens a couple times a year...

the RWD cars are just climbing up the hill like a snail or even slide backward when going up a little hill
Old 05-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Banned

I'd like to know why myself since you were one of the ones bad talking the Acuras. So please tell us. I looked at the site and could not find a post on why.

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
I have a Maxima right now, but I'm looking at a 3.2TL.

I just plain think its a better car with better quality.

But of course, this is subjective.

If you want me to tell you why, go to www.maxima.org My screen name is ScreamingVQ with 2k Max

Otherwise, you Max folks should drive a TL with an open mind and see the light.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

Mazda 6

The most recent issue of Car magazine just tested the Mazda 6 and absolutely loved the chassis.

The engine left a little to be desired (2.3L 4). This is the largest engine the european car will see for now. U.s. will get a variant of Ford's duratec.

They actually liked the interior.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this car?

This may be worth waiting for but I don't like the fact that the engine is US sourced.

I have gotten so used to the lovely smooth Acura/Honda vtecs that I just can't climb into a car that has ford engine underhood.

JCG
Old 05-06-2002, 12:12 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Ok so I have a TL on lease right now and have driven it for about a year..my friend has a 02 Maxima SE and another has a TL-S. After driving all three I would have to say I'd take both TL's over a Maxima SE, especially if the SE is an automatic. In six-speed i would slot the Max in between the TL-S and the TL-P. Here's Why

Looks: The Maxima is just plain ugly IMO. The TL is so much more elegant and refined looking.

Transmission: A 4-spped Automatic in a close to 30k Car?? Not happening

Lame Duck Status: No one even has word yet on whether there will be a 6th generation Maxima. 2002 Altima sales are through the roof while Maxima sales are slwoing down. To me it seems Nissan threw alll the extra and new stuff into the platform to try and grab up buyers who would robably have bought a TL or Altima instead.

Handling/Speed: With simple lowering springs and 17" rolling stock, my daily driver Accord stomped on the Max through corners, even overtaking it once. Straight line acceleration in the automatic doesnt feel any faster than my Accord or TL, and understeer at the limit is the worst.

Interior: Dismal in the Maxima, dashboard is cluttered, the in-dash changer takes forver to load/eject and the buttons feel cheap. Leather is not as soft as Acura, almost feeling like Pleather in some spots.

Dealer Service: NY's largest dealer, Star Nissan is full of crooks trying to force you into a sale and get you out of there as qucikly as possible so you dont have time to scrutinize. When my friend toook delivery of the Max, the car was not ready. Nissan dealers also haggle you to death on any mods you do, claming they will dead your warranty if anything happens. And you also live in Greenwich, CT so you're not too far from Park Avenue Acura, I don't know about CT, but you can't **** with Park Avenue and their reputation.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Considered G35?

I am QUITE satisfied with my G35. If the design isn't to your taste maybe not.
As for Max vs TL-S...
it really depends on what you are looking for.
As far as handling dynamics and ride comfort goes, they are even. So is the accelaration (you just get more from Max on lower RPM while more from TL-S on higher RPM). You probably can get loaded Max few thousands cheaper than TL-S. However, I noticed the Max's interior looks a notch down from TL-S. Both are fine choices truely. But keep in mind both cars are up for rehauling in next year. (maybe you don't mind it)
Old 05-06-2002, 06:51 PM
Cruisin'

Well the argument sounds pretty clear to me.

A new TLS appears to be a better vehicle and from my test drives of both I would have to agree with most people here.

The only thing I am slightly nervous about is the transmission - but it is not enough to prevent on going ahead with sm eventual purchase.

I think the next year should bring some interesting developments in the market.

I am definately going to wait for a test drive of the new Mazda 6, although I am not sure about owning a Mazda. The Acura brand just seems more prestigious to me.

If my colleague from Honda is telling the truth, Acura should have quite an interesing line up next year for 2004 with the claimed introduction of a midsize 3 series fighter.

Nissan....well poor service will destroy me - I have absolutely no patience for it. My brother has a 2002 S4 and the service is so bad, that despite the car being the most wonderful I have driven in some time, it would stop me from owning one myself.

Honda...well their new accord will be out shortly with some believing a new 240 HP V6. Despite such power, I am sure this car will remain quite boring.

The car of my dreams is the BMW 330d (3.0 diesel) but alas it is only sold in europe and conversion to the US market is way to costly.

I still think the TL is the best damn value in the market today - but I am willing to wait for the developments mentioned above.

Thanks for everone's replies.

JCG
Old 05-06-2002, 08:19 PM
Type S personality

I chose the Maxima SE over the TL-S because the least payments were $100 a month more for a car that cost $4,000 more Cdn. I find the headroom tight for the Maxima, and the TL-S had less headroom.

The Accord might be a nice car, but around here there are way too many Hondas. I don't want a common car, nor do I want to mod it so it looks childish.

When I went to the Audi dealer the customer services p*ssed me off. I was in there for 15 minutes and no one bothered to approach me. The Acura guy took 15 seconds to reach me, and the Nissan guys were pretty prompt. BTW, I find Nissan service reasonable, not spectacular.

BMW, they are quite a bit more. I would not buy a bottom of the line car, that means the 318/325 etc. The minimum I would go for is the 330 but the price is not reasonable. Same goes for the C230.

My next car? Who knows. I still like the Max, TLS, CLS, G35. I do want something that can fit 5 people, preferrably 4 doors, and lot of juice. It has to be a not-so-common car. The Altima was supposed to be the cure for the common car but I didn't like the interior, and the back end is ugh.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Banned

Re: Considered G35?

Originally posted by jinu117
I am QUITE satisfied with my G35. If the design isn't to your taste maybe not.
As for Max vs TL-S...
it really depends on what you are looking for.
As far as handling dynamics and ride comfort goes, they are even. So is the accelaration (you just get more from Max on lower RPM while more from TL-S on higher RPM). You probably can get loaded Max few thousands cheaper than TL-S. However, I noticed the Max's interior looks a notch down from TL-S. Both are fine choices truely. But keep in mind both cars are up for rehauling in next year. (maybe you don't mind it)
dude, if you think the TL and the maxima are even in terms of handling dynamics, and ride comfort, then you are smoking that regular ****!! The maxima, will not out accelerate the TL-S! maybe the TL-P, but if its a 2000+, then maybe not!! Why do you post here, and on the is300.net forums? You are the BIGGEST TROLL out there! Go back to the fresh alloy forums, please!
Old 05-06-2002, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SilverBulletCLS
I'd like to know why myself since you were one of the ones bad talking the Acuras. So please tell us. I looked at the site and could not find a post on why.

And so were you Russ so stop pointing fingers and stop acting like a baby.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Considered G35?

dude, if you think the TL and the maxima are even in terms of handling dynamics, and ride comfort, then you are smoking that regular ****!! The maxima, will not out accelerate the TL-S! maybe the TL-P, but if its a 2000+, then maybe not!! Why do you post here, and on the is300.net forums? You are the BIGGEST TROLL out there! Go back to the fresh alloy forums, please!
I think the biggest one is 1sicklex
Old 05-06-2002, 10:08 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Considered G35?

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ

I think the biggest one is 1sicklex
yeah, that guy is R E T A R D E D
Old 05-06-2002, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Considered G35?

He post here cause ish free country...:p Hey at least he brings some valid points to arguments. I mean that guy um Luxsport or whatever claims that nissan navi's are better than acura's alpine touch screen system...