2000-2003 Transmission Recall Info Here

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny, an Acura customer rep has been calling me and leaving voice mail messages. I finally returned his call and he wanted to know whether everything has been OK after my two tranny replacements. He never mentioned the recall. But when I told him that since day 1 my TL-S has been doing hickups on average once per day he really wanted to set me up with an appointment at a local dealer.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear

Recall

I brought my 2003TL last Saturday for oil jet kit to South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa and the guy who worked there said that for every transmission he checked, he had seen only one problem. And my warranty is only up to 100,000 miles. Should I believe it?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean
Just wanted to add my .02c...
I decided to call the dealer and inqired about the recall on the tranny, even though I havnt got the letter yet.
It would seem they were well aware of the recall and after she checked my VIN #, confirmed that my car was on the list, and made an appointment for next wednesday.
My car has 23k Km on it and doesnt seem to show any of the failing tranny symptoms yet, but I decide to be pro-active about this.
Let you guys know what turns out.
J

Ok.. update #1 .. because nothing happened...
Dropped the car mid-morning , as schedualed.. got a call a few hours later...
"ummmm.... sorry but we dont have the kit in stock.... sorry..." :angry:
Now have to wait another 2 weeks or so.
I talked to the sales rep who sold me the car and he thinks they probably used the kit held for me for another vehicule.
J

OK Final update...
Took the car in at 9AM, they were done before 12 noon.
I asked about dropping the tranny fluid, which they did.
They covered the fluid under warranty, I paid for the labour... 35.00CDN.
Seems to shift a touch smoother than before. cant really tell if its because of the jet kit or the new fluid.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Peace out A-spec

Make: ACURA
Model: 3.2TL
Affected Year(s): 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004
Units Affected: 85404
TC Recall #: 2004143
Manufacturer:
Campaign Code:

Recall Details
Certain operating conditions can result in heat build-up between the countershaft and secondary shaft second gears in the automatic transmission, eventually leading to gear tooth chipping or, in very rare cases, gear breakage can occur. Gear failure could result in transmission lock-up. Correction: On vehicles with 24 000 kms or less, the dealer will update the transmission with a simple revision to the oil cooler return line to increase lubrication to second gear. On vehicles with more than 24 000 kms, the dealer will inspect the transmission to identify gears that have already experienced discoloration due to overheating. If discolouration exists, the transmission will be replaced. It discolouration is not present, the dealer will perform the revision to the oil cooler return line.

i have 27000 km on my 2003 TL.. im sending it in tmmr morning..
Old 08-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Update: Had the oil jet kit replaced yesterday. tranny seems more smoother shifting. they had to order the new computer for the tranny which will be in next week. hopefully this will solve the tranny issue. this is the 3rd tranny in this car, hasn't gone yet, but getting the upgrades before trouble begins.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Xenologics
Make: ACURA

>>>>// Correction: On vehicles with 24 000 kms or less, the dealer will update the transmission with a simple revision to the oil cooler return line to increase lubrication to second gear. On vehicles with more than 24 000 kms, the dealer will inspect the transmission to identify gears that have already experienced discoloration due to overheating. If discolouration exists, the transmission will be replaced. It discolouration is not present, the dealer will perform the revision to the oil cooler return line.

i have 27000 km on my 2003 TL.. im sending it in tmmr morning..
Well isnt that interesting.....
I wish I would have known this 48 hrs ago.....
My car had 24700km on it when I took in in...The work took less than 3 hours.
But when I picked-up the car.. the odo reading on the bill said 23998.0 km and didnt think much about it at first.
Now I know why...

J
Old 08-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Peace out A-spec

I have a 2003 TL A SPEC with 28000 km
I just got my oil jet kit installed it runs smoother but not by much because it was running good before

i got it done at downtown acura in toronto. i dropped it at 7:30 am and got it back at 10am ready and waiting.. I was scared they were gonna put my car in an isolated area because i did not buy the car from them. I guess its all good now..
Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2002 TLS and I have not gotten any postcard yet. Will the dealer able to find out if I call them up ?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:21 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
drcookie you haven't read the thread.shame,shame. that would answer your question. help us by helping yourself.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:11 AM
KFM
1st Gear

Help with shaking problem around 1500 RPM

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Once again, they dodge the real problem -- it's the 3rd gear clutchpack shattering because of rough clutch disk surface over time. This is just a bullshit recall to fuck with us. Notice how it doesn't even say how the recall will be handled, like what's involved in doing it, such as visual inspection, replacement, or whatever.

How do I find out more about this 3rd gear problem? mine is 2000 TL now 48600 miles and about 2 months ago car sharted to shake at around 1500 RPM, probably into 3rd gear, I had my recall service done today and they told me they couldnt duplicate the shaking I mentioned, altho on my way home I did noticce the shaking was not as bad as before but, its still there.

Is there a way to get them to fix the real problem?? is ther any danger if the shaking continues?
Old 08-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Cruisin'

Are these early signs?

Hi all,
I have a 2000 TL with 53K miles. No problems so far (I consider myself lucky). I am however very cautious while driving and rarely do I use the sport-shift. I save it for those special occasions :-)

Well, lately I started to notice a funny thing. In Automatic Mode (D5), during start-off (I think its the shift from the first to second gear), I feel a huge lag. Unresponsiveness to the accelarator pedal. Though I am pressing on the pedal, there is an apparant decrease in speed, probably lag in engaging the second gear.

Has anyone experienced this? I scanned this thread and someone had mentioned the exact same problem. Are these early signs of Dead Transmission? OR is it something that I didnt notice for the past four years?

I used to love driving this car, but now the fear of breakdown at freeway speeds haunts me. I expect more from $30+ K car.

Thanks,
- Proud Acura Owner (from 2000 to 2002)
- Cautious driver due to knowledge of tranny failures (from 2002 to 2004)
- Frustrated Acura Owner, after hearing about the recall that is nothing but a gimmick (since 2004)
Old 08-19-2004, 07:31 AM
8th Gear

Shaking and Shifting

Just had my 2000TL - 81k - in for the recall. Got new tranny and all seems fine (for now). My symptoms were slipping - feels like engine missing - when D5 shifted from 2nd to 3rd occaisionally. Also had vibration that seemed to be coming from underneath driver's floorboard towards center console. Thought it was related to the tranny problem but dealer found a broken motor mount. Replaced - not under warranty - for about $200. Haven't detected the vibration since (about 2 weeks).
Old 08-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trans recall info

Took my car in Friday for the recall. The work was done in 45 minutes, and the dealer said it was the learning curve; they've done so many so far, it's easy. I asked about the relation of the recall to the more widespread 3rd gear problem: none at all. I was also surprised to find the "oil jet" kit has replaced the trans fluid fill plug on top of the trans housing! The dealer didn't have an answer to my question about how to add/refill the transmission fluid. They checked with the tech line (number not given to the public), and was told that any added fluid or refill would have to be done via the dipstick tube. I don't have a funnel that long and small in diameter (<10 mm), so I'm going to start looking for a solution. Anyone with a workable solution?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:16 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rjheiss
I asked about the relation of the recall to the more widespread 3rd gear problem: none at all.
I asked if they could inspect the 3rd gear clutchpak since
they were going to use the fiber optic to look at the 2nd
gear recall. Answer was no, but I think they never, ever,
want to talk about 3rd gear problems again.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny Problem

Hey all,
I have a 2001 TL with 49k. Just had the recall taken care of. The only problem is the tranny feels like overdrive does not kick in. This was happening before the recall and still does. The dealer said they feel nothing, however, I mentioned several times that once I release the gas pedal it feels like the car doesn't cruise like it's suppose to. Any ideas on this? The recall was done in Lakeland, FL (Regal Acura) Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 02:37 AM
Athena says 'hi'

So my dad gave his 2001 TL to my sister so he could go out and enjoy his 2004TL, and now she's driving it -- go figure... Anyways, I was her passenger a few days ago, and noticed the jerking during the 2nd gear shift. I think it's got something to do with the tranny problem. Do you guys know how long it takes to fix this tranny issue?

Thanks..

Pravin
Old 08-24-2004, 06:12 AM
8th Gear

Stramos

Shouldn't be a matter of how it feels. If your O/D kicks in you should see a noticeable drop in your RPMs. Fact that the dealer didn't tell you this says go find another dealer. I've had good luck with Furman Acura in Tampa.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:15 AM
8th Gear

Pravin

If they have to replace the tranny, may take up to a week (mine took 6 days) while they order the replacement. If it's just the recall, should be in/out in less than a day. Your TL sounds like it is doing exactly what mine was - dealer said to park it asap cause it could quit on you.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ruski
funny, an Acura customer rep has been calling me and leaving voice mail messages. I finally returned his call and he wanted to know whether everything has been OK after my two tranny replacements. He never mentioned the recall. But when I told him that since day 1 my TL-S has been doing hickups on average once per day he really wanted to set me up with an appointment at a local dealer.

So I took my TL-S to the dealer 2+ weeks ago... They found a problem with the tranny #3 and are replacing it. I have been driving a rental 4-cyl Mazda6 for 2+ weeks. They supposedely received the new transmission a week ago, I don't know what is taking them so long now to put it in.

P.S. the 4-cyl Mazda6 is surprisingly peppy and fun to drive.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:45 PM
5th Gear

Well I took my 03 TLS today to DCH ACURA in Verona NJ. In and out in 1 hour. Checked my transmiision and installed the oil jet kit. Said it looked perfectly fine. I have 35,000 miles on it with INJEN CAI and COMPTECH HEADERS.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

Recall Card

Guys,
What if I didnt get a notification? How do I approach the dealer with my problem? What are the key things to say and not to say? I guess what i'm asking for is a "How To Approach the Dealer" guide. Thanks dudes!
Old 08-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ricebox
Guys,
What if I didnt get a notification? How do I approach the dealer with my problem? What are the key things to say and not to say? I guess what i'm asking for is a "How To Approach the Dealer" guide. Thanks dudes!
I wouldn't wait to get the letter if you're having problems. Call the dealership and inquire. If they say they don't know anything about it, print out one of the news articles and bring it in. My dealership, and I'm sure all, are very familiar with the recall and know the deal.

FYI - I am on my second replacement tranny at 25,000 miles. This one, with the jet kit, is starting to do the same dance the others did. I'm not convinced this jet kit is fixing the problem.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Intermediate

Oh yea forgot to ask i know it says in the title of the thread 2000-2003 but what about the 1999s?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:20 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Diamond Type-S
Did anyone have experiences talking to any dealers in New Jersey and which ones are privy to the recall information and are handling it? The people in Montclair Acura in NJ were not helpful or aware of the matter.

I just took mine their yesterday and they took care of me. I lied and said that my 03 acura had an transmission. They made the appt and I brought it in. Are you talking about DCH ACURA on Bloomfield ave? You should have no problems.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:02 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TYPE-S 03
I just took mine their yesterday and they took care of me. I lied and said that my 03 acura had an transmission problem. They made the appt and I brought it in. Are you talking about DCH ACURA on Bloomfield ave? You should have no problems.
Let me know what they say.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:46 PM
9th Gear

Rick Case

Originally Posted by Ruski
So I took my TL-S to the dealer 2+ weeks ago... They found a problem with the tranny #3 and are replacing it. I have been driving a rental 4-cyl Mazda6 for 2+ weeks. They supposedely received the new transmission a week ago, I don't know what is taking them so long now to put it in.

P.S. the 4-cyl Mazda6 is surprisingly peppy and fun to drive.
Ruski - Did you take yours to Rick Case Acura? Taking my 03 in on monday for the tranny recall.. got my fingers crossed.. hope to not see rick case for any tranny issues at all again.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TYPE-S 03
Well I took my 03 TLS today to DCH ACURA in Verona NJ. In and out in 1 hour. Checked my transmiision and installed the oil jet kit. Said it looked perfectly fine. I have 35,000 miles on it with INJEN CAI and COMPTECH HEADERS.
What's DCH Acura? Isn't the one in Verona,NJ called Montclair Acura?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:55 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by VTEC11
What's DCH Acura? Isn't the one in Verona,NJ called Montclair Acura?
They are also called DCH Acura. They alot of car dealers. But your right its also called Montclair Acura and its located in Verona.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Advanced

recall question

Question about the recall, I received the letter about my trans. but i don't want to fix something that is not showing any abnormalities, but I feel it will eventually. Is there a limit of time that i can do the recall or it's for as long as the car is on the road.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:52 PM
9th Gear

Recall

Not sure about the time limit, don't think there is one though. I would bring it in before anything happens.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

Yesterday, 9/8/04, I took my car to the dealer and within two hours, I was told that they are going to REPLACE my tranny. For the next two weeks, I will be driving a 2004 ENVOY...
Old 09-11-2004, 08:16 AM
SCMPredator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a couple of posts above said theres a new tranny out that the some dealerships have. Is this true?

btw...just to let u know...my dad's caddy had transmission problems...and if u think honda is bad at this replacement...try a freakin caddy dealership. I cant stand those people in the caddy dealers in the ny shops.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Pro

There is no new tranny. The only thing they did is place the oil jet on the rebuild tranny.

This HONDA engineering tranny sucks. I have 19k on my 03 TL-S and my normal 80mile round trip commute on the freeway. That should be easy on a tranny. Well, now my tranny fluid is brown and the dealer said its normal. Bullshit it is. They charge $180 for a tranny flush recommended by them ever 15k. That's ridiculous. I can't afford to keep shelling out $180 for tranny flushes every 15k or for me its 8-10months.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

i still have yet to recieve anything from honda about the tranny.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Racer

Don't worry I haven't gotten a recall letter yet either...I have to present a letter to the dealer before any recall work,the dealer say's there is no recall on my 04Tl ,yet the copy saw here of a recall letter states that my car and Vin are effected ...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:41 PM
4th Gear

Hey my miles are over the 100k and my tranny failed or is going to fail soon, ex. hard shifting , grinding gears, slipping, etc. Is there anything I can do as alast fighting chance to get it replaced even after being over 100k?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Racer

What year and make is your car and has it had any prior tranmssion failures?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:19 AM
4th Gear

i have a 99 TL and there was never ever any tranny work done on my car, right tit has currently 178k and it was show tell tale signs of a bad tranny at 155k. I dont care to get a whole new tranny or anything, I just want it fixed. I was acutally planning on selling the car but now I am f!cked for resale value due to repairs ranging from 1 to 2 grand.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:23 AM
4th Gear

I actually got a recall letter in the mail at the beginning of this year, to my dismay it said they would only fix if it was under 100k or 7yrs. But if its a recall wouldn't it not matter how many miles are on the damn thing. Cause a recall is a recall, they should have to fix it. I don't know hat else to do.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Want to buy a 2000 TL but....

I'm looking for a 99-2001 TL with about 100,000 Km on it. But after all this i'm a little afraid of buying one. Do they all have the same tranny problem or is it just a certain percentage that are unlucky?

Is there any way to avoid it?

I drive a 2001 GTI 1.8T, but need something bigger and automatic (for the wife). I really wanted one of these cars...damn!

Does this warranty also include cars in Canada? And how many Km before the warranty is up in Canada?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2000-2003 Transmission Recall Info Here