2000-2003 Transmission Recall Info Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is still at the dealership. Many dealerships act like they don't have parts. Acura is sending the letter out in waves to elder VIN's. They want to accomodate with out being inundated.

I took my car in and took a tech for a ride. I was able to replicate the symptoms of a tranny going dead. We go back and they promptly ordered a tranny and oil jet kit.

BTW my ride is an '03-S with 30K miles

Before I left they gave me a factory bulletin. According to the bulletin, we will be recieving refurbished tranny's. Needless to say I am outraged......and on terminal hold for service at the dealership.......part 3 comming soon!!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ABLUETYPES78
I brought my car in for an oil change on friday and mentioned about the recall. They are aware but they dont have the parts yet. (Paragon Acura). At least they didnt play stupid like some dealers do.

I took my car in this morning for the first oil change and mentioned I was part of the recall. When I picked it up tonight the oil jet kit was installed. Nice to have a good dealer. They said ignore the letter when it comes.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro

Well I had my recall done. Doesn't really feel any different. Whether or not it stop the tranny from going out, we shall see. I have a 03 TL-S with a Build Date of Mar-2003. So far 15k miles on it and still going.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Intermediate

Not yet...

I haven't even got my notice yet for my recall, but I'm going to call tomorrow. Owner's link says my 2000 is recalled. Tranny fluid has been brown so it shall be interesting...

Chris
Old 07-20-2004, 08:41 PM
iM 17 dOiN bIg tHiNgs

my car has 110,000 miles on it i didnt call them about the recall yet but anyone else in the range of that mileage???.....do u think my car is covered under the recall.....2000 3.2 TL
Old 07-20-2004, 10:20 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's a good question. To answer it, Owner Link at Acura.com may be a good start. Not sure if part of the profile you enter includes mileage on the car.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:18 PM
iM 17 dOiN bIg tHiNgs

Originally Posted by fast-tl
That's a good question. To answer it, Owner Link at Acura.com may be a good start. Not sure if part of the profile you enter includes mileage on the car.

ok ill go try that now thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 09:48 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to the Acura Dealerships I have talked to they will examine the Tran, if a repair / replacement is needed, this will be performed, additionally this is for Acura's that fall in the '99 to '03 with under 100,000 miles, should you have additional miles you probably don't have an issue with your trans. If anyone is unsure of your Acura, you should have it brought in to a dealership and the inspection should be free of cost. If you log into Owners Link @
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp, print a copy of the recall and take this to dealership.

I had my tran replaced - 2000 TL w/navi @ 35,000, no issues with it yet !?!

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:54 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bearback27
According to the Acura Dealerships I have talked to they will examine the Tran, if a repair / replacement is needed, this will be performed, additionally this is for Acura's that fall in the '99 to '03 with under 100,000 miles, should you have additional miles you probably don't have an issue with your trans. If anyone is unsure of your Acura, you should have it brought in to a dealership and the inspection should be free of cost. If you log into Owners Link @
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp, print a copy of the recall and take this to dealership.

I had my tran replaced - 2000 TL w/navi @ 35,000, no issues with it yet !?!

Good luck.

well I think that the statement about under 100,000 miles is bullshyt for those of us who have had the tranny replaced before, for me I'm on my 3rd tranny and now this one seems to be slipping in 2nd and I will be taking it in to get it checked out. I have 115, 000 miles.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:10 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That really bites, sorry to hear about. It's possible I may get screwed yet again.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:19 AM
I love cars!

I wonder if there is a mileage limit when an actual recall has been issued? I image there is a reasonable point where Acura's off the hook. With cars routinely reaching 100K miles with no sweat, it should be difficult to make that the cutoff because many, many dirvers put 20-25K miles on a year. That whole 12k-15k miles per year is not realistic.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Cruiser

I wonder if there is a mileage limit when an actual recall has been issued? I image there is a reasonable point where Acura's off the hook. With cars routinely reaching 100K miles with no sweat, it should be difficult to make that the cutoff because many, many dirvers put 20-25K miles on a year. That whole 12k-15k miles per year is not realistic.

well I don't think they should be let off the hook if your tranny only goes 30k and breakdown. you are suppose to get at the minimum 100k on the tranny before even changing the fluid.

This would be my 3rd tranny to go and honda is responsible for each and everyone of them.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:36 PM
3rd Gear

Just got a new tranny in at 60k.

02 TL-S w/ Navi
Old 07-22-2004, 04:34 PM
iM 17 dOiN bIg tHiNgs

Originally Posted by antlive
well I think that the statement about under 100,000 miles is bullshyt for those of us who have had the tranny replaced before, for me I'm on my 3rd tranny and now this one seems to be slipping in 2nd and I will be taking it in to get it checked out. I have 115, 000 miles.

yup it is bullshit im calling acura today to find out exactly the deal about those of us who are over 100k miles....ill keep u posted
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35 PM
clc
Instructor

Especially if you live in Houston!

2002 TLS w/Nav bought brand new 3/27/02...currently has 59,003 miles.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:33 PM
8th Gear

Tranny Dump

Just called, waiting for the tow truck. 38K miles on a 2003 TL Type-S and I'd say its fryed! Started to lock up around 65-70 mph, more than once. Got to a back road only 2 miles from home. Car seemed to be high reving (4K on tach) while I was doing 30 mph. Still bucked if you tried anything else. Got on line, see the voluntary recall. Fortunate I didn't take anyone else out, the car is really UNSAFE to drive. Thought I liked the car, already ready to unload. :shit:
Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
10th Gear

I'm still on my original Transmission. 18,880 miles. They did the inspection, and took photos of my transmission. Installed the jet oil kit.

For those that is curious. Here is a picture of the kit.

Old 07-22-2004, 10:12 PM
5th Gear

Service guy sez 3rd time's a charm

I found the recall info on Edmunds.com last night. I called 800 number &
Acura confirmed my 2002 TL 3.2 I just bought needs the recall. Called
the local Raleigh/Cary dealer & they scheduled me next week. Service guy
confirmed by 93K vehicle is on its 3rd tran. I felt a little sick. Never
heard about this problem until one of the consumer reviews on edmunds
pointed me to this site. The service guy told me the 3rd tran I have
has the defective gear fixed -- he said it was a supplier problem -- &
he hasn't seen any of the improved trans come back. Conflicts with
some of the posts in this thread. I hope it's true. I'll post whatever the
results are next week.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Advanced

Took my car into the dealer today to get the recall service work down. I made the appointment the other day and was pretty surprised how quickly they had me in. Arrived at the dealer around 7 PM and no surprise, there were two other TL's that showed up before me and several after me. It took them a little over an hour to have the oil jet kit installed and they told me my transmission was fine. Knock on wood of course, but the couple waiting in the lobby was not so fortunate. I overheard them being told they needed a new transmission Also, it might be psychological but, after I got my car back the transmission felt different, like it didn't snap off the line, but rather took off more smoothly. I don't know, like I said it's probably psychological. Anyway, I bought my car and had it serviced at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA. Hope everything works out for the rest of you guys.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jean
Just wanted to add my .02c...
I decided to call the dealer and inqired about the recall on the tranny, even though I havnt got the letter yet.
It would seem they were well aware of the recall and after she checked my VIN #, confirmed that my car was on the list, and made an appointment for next wednesday.
My car has 23k Km on it and doesnt seem to show any of the failing tranny symptoms yet, but I decide to be pro-active about this.
Let you guys know what turns out.
J
Ok.. update #1 .. because nothing happened...
Dropped the car mid-morning , as schedualed.. got a call a few hours later...
"ummmm.... sorry but we dont have the kit in stock.... sorry..." :angry:
Now have to wait another 2 weeks or so.
I talked to the sales rep who sold me the car and he thinks they probably used the kit held for me for another vehicule.
J
Old 07-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Cruiser

got an appointment at 1pm today in MD. call Acura dealer up yesterday and the service dude knew exactly what I was talking about. Told me to bring it in for test run with manager and we can set up an appointment from there.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear

200TL on 4th Transmission

Well,

My 2000TL broke down on the road last night, making this the 3rd transmission in this car in 5 years, the last 2 only lasted 11 months each. Right now, the dealer is giving me a hard time about fixing it at all since my car has 140K miles on it.

If anyone has info about how to get help with this, I would appreciate it.

Brad
Old 07-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Advanced

TUstin Acura, CA - 2002 TL Type S

I had my tranny replaced at 45k and i now have 60k on the car. when i first got the tranny replaced, i went on a test run with the tech who fixed it and said that he did the best he could to fix it, but he pointed out a "high pitched whine" as my car accelerates. it was pretty subtle, but now it is very apparent and i need to get it fixed.

I took it to the dealer the other day (Tustin Acura) and went on a run with the tech again and he stated that it was a "gear whine" and that they could do nothing about it. In my head, i'm telling myself that is a bunch of BS so i called the service manager today and left him a message. We'll see what happens.

Has anybody else notice this "gear whine"?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:42 PM
I love cars!

"Best he could do to fix it" does not sound like it should come from a franchised dealership. Try a different once.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Advanced

"Best he could do to fix it" does not sound like it should come from a franchised dealership. Try a different once.
the first tech i worked with was pretty knowledgeable and knew what he was talking about. Tustina Acura is a pretty reputable dealership in the area and is supposed to be one of the better dealers in the area here.

i'm going to see what this service manager can do for me, but if he doesn't cooperate, i'll just go elsewhere.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Drive it in 4th gear"....Yea right..

It's really incredible to sit here and read the number of posts about failing transmissions.. How is it possible that a company can sell such an expensive car with a MAJOR powertrain problem that has gone uncorrected for 4 years?? It's common to see posts from people that have have had transmissions replaced multiple times and are still having problems. The 3 % estimate of transmission failure rate has to be severely underestimated.
My tranny has started to give problems after 24k miles and the service manager at Proctor Acura told my wife to "drive it in 4th gear" ..The problem is intermittent and they will not touch it until the symptoms can be reproduced on a test drive..
Just called the dealership and the will take my car in soon to have the "Oil jet kit installed"
although it seems futile to me to install anything in a already failing tranny..I really think it would be cheaper for Honda to go ahead and fix the defective cars with a re-designed new tranny than to keep screwing around with band-aids. I am sure the court system will eventually sort all of this out after people finally get enough and start legal proceedings against Honda/Acura/dealerships..
We have all lost money on the value of our cars and lost the pleasure of owning a RELIABLE expensive luxury car.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Advanced

Acura Corporate Number

Does anybody have acura's corporate customer service number?
Old 07-27-2004, 06:28 PM
5th Gear

got the recall done in 1 hour

Originally Posted by toddmd
I found the recall info on Edmunds.com last night. I called 800 number &
Acura confirmed my 2002 TL 3.2 I just bought needs the recall. Called
the local Raleigh/Cary dealer & they scheduled me next week. Service guy
confirmed by 93K vehicle is on its 3rd tran. I felt a little sick. Never
heard about this problem until one of the consumer reviews on edmunds
pointed me to this site. The service guy told me the 3rd tran I have
has the defective gear fixed -- he said it was a supplier problem -- &
he hasn't seen any of the improved trans come back. Conflicts with
some of the posts in this thread. I hope it's true. I'll post whatever the
results are next week.

Took my TL to the Leith Acura dealer yesterday in Cary. They inspected
the 2nd gear & put in the extra 'tubage' -- said it was fine. They confirmed
again that the 3rd tranny is a good one. I asked could they inspect the
3rd gear clutchpack while they were in there with the camera. Service
Guy sez no, they cannot.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toddmd
Took my TL to the Leith Acura dealer yesterday in Cary. They inspected
the 2nd gear & put in the extra 'tubage' -- said it was fine. They confirmed
again that the 3rd tranny is a good one. I asked could they inspect the
3rd gear clutchpack while they were in there with the camera. Service
Guy sez no, they cannot.
Toddmd, I live in Raleigh too...i'm sorry that you didn't know about these problems b4 you bought your car....

So I should I just call Leith or Performance and ask them about this recall? Did they have a clue or what? I'm on my 2nd tranny....

what's the extra tubage? what's this oil jet kit?

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT TOOK THIS F*CKING LONG FOR HONDA TO RECALL THIS ON MY $35K SUPER HONDA

-Carlos
02 TLS SSM w/Navi
Old 07-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

Has there been any research done into a class action lawsuit?

The Reason I ask I just got my PayPal lawsuit email:

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/07/28...tid=123&tid=98
Old 07-29-2004, 06:33 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by PANTHER
Toddmd, I live in Raleigh too...i'm sorry that you didn't know about these problems b4 you bought your car....

So I should I just call Leith or Performance and ask them about this recall? Did they have a clue or what? I'm on my 2nd tranny....

what's the extra tubage? what's this oil jet kit?

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT TOOK THIS F*CKING LONG FOR HONDA TO RECALL THIS ON MY $35K SUPER HONDA

-Carlos
02 TLS SSM w/Navi
Hi Carlos, that's the way things go. I guess I didn't do all the research since I thought
Acura/Honda would be almost perfect in this area. Next time I'll just do some random
searches.

I just called the 800 number at the top of this thread & Acura confirmed I needed
the recall based on my VIN. Then I called Leith -- they had to check for the parts --
I think I might have been the first to call. But I would just call before everyone gets
their letter & back from vac.

The tubage was indeed the oil jet kit as in the pic in this thread.

MT
Old 07-29-2004, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by clc
Especially if you live in Houston!

2002 TLS w/Nav bought brand new 3/27/02...currently has 59,003 miles.
I feel your pain, I hae been back and forth from New Orleans to here and my Tranny went out last night. I brought it to John Eagle Acura and they said that nothng was wrong with it but before they called me they found out about the recall and now the entire transmission will be replaced. It kept jerking on me out ofthe blue and skipping in gears. Houston is to big to have no wheels!
Old 07-30-2004, 01:25 PM
8th Gear

Failed Tranny

Took my 2000 TL, 80k miles into my dealer this morning. Tranny is shot and they will replace under warranty. Will take about a week. So they replace the Tranny, anyone know how long the replacement Trans is warrantied?? Am I still only good til the 100k point?? I don't want to be looking at a $5,000 repair bill after another 20k miles!!
Old 07-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Cruiser

just got postcard in the mail in reference to new transmission parts for my car. I will be making an appointment next week.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:01 AM
8th Gear

Hey Barron,
Good question. Currently, I believe 100K and that's it. You have a good arguement to the dealer. Honda should re-evaluate this tranny voluntary recall Bull and establish something that rebuilds our trust and faith in their product. Otherwise, the courts may force them to. Everyone who had tranny fail while driving should report to NHTSB.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear

Acura Warrantee

As a proud (am I funny or what?) owner of a 2000TL that just got its 4th transmission put in, I can unfortunately answer this question.

Any repair work done entirely under warrantee itself has a warrantee of 1 year or 12k miles. This means that if you have the tranny replaced at 90k miles (when my first one went out), you are then warranteed until 112k miles. I just had my 4th tranny put in at 140k, and was told they would cover the parts as a courtesy (my last one was put in at 115k or so), but had to pay $550 for labor

The good news is that any work you have done that you pay for, as I have done, is warranteed for 3 years and 36k miles. Thus I am safe till about 176k now.

That's what I know... owning an Acura was not the super-happy experience it was purported to be, but I really do like driving it

Old 08-01-2004, 04:08 PM
The Undertaker

Did anyone have experiences talking to any dealers in New Jersey and which ones are privy to the recall information and are handling it? The people in Montclair Acura in NJ were not helpful or aware of the matter.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BStein68
Any repair work done entirely under warrantee itself has a warrantee of 1 year or 12k miles. This means that if you have the tranny replaced at 90k miles (when my first one went out), you are then warranteed until 112k miles.
How does that add upto 112k miles? 12k miles + 90k = 102k. :sqnteek:
Old 08-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Instructor

Did anyone have experiences talking to any dealers in New Jersey and which ones are privy to the recall information and are handling it? The people in Montclair Acura in NJ were not helpful or aware of the matter.

I saw the post here regarding the transmission recall. I figured I'll wait until I get the post card. Well last Saturday when I visited my dealer in South Jersey to make an appointment for oil change. What do you know.. They told me they need to take a look at my transmission. I was a bit surprise that they mentioned it before I said anything.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Instructor

i brought my car in yesterday and they installed the kit...i have 25k miles on my 2002 TLS

Quick Reply: 2000-2003 Transmission Recall Info Here