2000-2003 Transmission Recall Info Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I decided to login to the owners link and surprise surprise I was greeted with:

Your 2000 Acura is included in the 00-04 CL & TL A/T RECALL Campaign.

To view the press release regarding this recall, click here

Your 2000 Acura is included in the 2001 TRANS WARRANTY EXT Campaign

I guess my numerous calls to complain and god knows how many tranny flushes just didnt do the trick

I'm glad they finally stepped up and took responsibility for it.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Don't get too excited. Almost all cases of transmission failures in the past have been due to faulty 3rd gear clutchpack.

All they are doing in this recall is inspecting the SECOND gear shaft, make sure it's properly lubricated, and if it is, they pat you on the back and send you home. If it's not lubricated, they will install a sprayer to provide more ATF. And you go home.
hey, how do u know that it is the third gear clutchpack that is the cause of the problem?? also, do u think that mabye it is possible that fixing this problem in 2nd gear could help fix what the problem is in third gear? do u think it is pointless to go in and get this taken care of, or u think it could help out some?

i'm just asking u cuz u seem to know more about this, n i really don't wanna get dicked around by honda .... again
Old 07-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by uncleb
also, do u think that mabye it is possible that fixing this problem in 2nd gear could help fix what the problem is in third gear?
No, that won't fix the 3rd gear clutchpack problem. That's a different issue and THE real problem with these trannies that honda is not addressing.
:sqntfawk: to honda.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More Tranny bullshit

I have a 2001 TL w/25K that I that is driven my my wife, she recently told me that is something wrong with the car "stalling" "acting funny during shifting" but she can't give me a further description and ,as expected, nothing unusual happens when I test drive the car. My son drove the car and thinks something is wrong with the tranny but the problem is intermittent. I suspect the tranny is starting to go. THe car is on the recall list for the 2nd gear acrua "smoke and mirror"" recall inspection
I understand that Acura will replace the transmission if found to be defective but I have a question....
If Acura replaces the tranny will the rebuilt one be upgraded and trouble free or am I getting another piece of shit that will go bad in the future..In short, have they fixed the problem with upgraded rebuilt trannies??
Old 07-07-2004, 02:52 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The rebuilt trannies apparently have the oiling problem addressed internally or with the added oil jet kit. I still don't understand the smoke-n-mirrors thingie if we're all getiing either a new tranny or oil jet kit.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Im hopeful, but very skeptical at the same time.

A friend of mine has an Odyssey that is covered under this "recall". He was deathly afraid of bringing it in, because he had no tranny issues. He broke down and brought it in, and they told him they werent going to replace it anyway because it didnt have enough miles on it. They supposedly added an extra oil injector for 2nd gear, and sent him on his way.

I have an '03 TL, not covered by the extended warranty, that I am deathly afraid WILL have a bad tranny. However, Im expecting Acura to tell me "it doesnt have enough miles on it, so it should be OK" (its my wife car, and only gets driven back and forth to work, 8 miles each way). Im not totally clear on what this recall will fix/replace, or if they just stare at the car to make people feel better.

Still, very little effort, WAY too late by Honda. My 2000 Accord is on its 3rd tranny, and I plan on dumping the car before the extended tranny warranty runs out.

Maybe this will at least take care of our Acura, <sarcasm> the "pride and joy" of the cars we own. </sarcasm>

-Chris
Old 07-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Well Only Thing You Guys Will Have To Do Is...
Call Your Local Acura Dealer...
And Give Them Your V.i.n
They Will Tell You Whether Your Car Is Recalled Or Not..
I Just Called Today And They Said I Have 2 Recall
One Is Timng Belt Tensioner
And The Other Is Transmission
They Said They Will Have To Check The Transmisison To See If They Have To Replace It Or Repair It..
They Told Me They Provide Free Rental Car Too!
I Hope I Rent A Nsx Kekekek(in My Dreams)
Well..i Am Going To Drop It Off Tomorrow And I Will Let You Guys Know How Things Went...
By The Way I Have 03 Tl-s
Old 07-08-2004, 04:20 PM
I love cars!

I called Goodson again today and they say they're taking care of MDXs right now, and won't have TL parts until August, so that's the story from Dallas.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

I called a dealer service department to ask about the recall. The service advisor I spoke to said he had not heard anything about it. That seems kind of strange.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Racer

I bought a used 2000 TL recently. How will I get a recall notice? Wish I knew about this tranny thing before I bought it and invested in goodies!
Old 07-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DAVERUBINO
I bought a used 2000 TL recently. How will I get a recall notice? Wish I knew about this tranny thing before I bought it and invested in goodies!
You don't need the notice. As long as your under 100k miles you'll be covered. For the recall info, you can goto the acura owner's link at acura.com and put in your VIN#. The info should be there.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:05 PM
I love cars!

I'd definitely set up an account at Owner Link so they can be sure to find you. Your car should be covered under this recall if it's less than 100k; it may also be covered under the 2001 warranty extension already in effect for some 2nd gen TLs like mine.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:11 PM
I love cars!

DavidMcDavid in Plano confused it with the warranty extension campaign until I straighten them out. Seems all dealers in the Dallas area are busy with MDXs though I read on here that Acura was shipping out some TL kits yesterday on an overnight basis.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Will this RECALL apply to rebulit titles as well
Old 07-10-2004, 01:55 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More Acura Bullshit

After reading posts from people that have knowledge about the tranny issue and talking to some of the management at Acura, I think the recall is pure bullshit. I really don't think Acura has a solution to effectively provide a functional tranny. I directly asked a supervisor at Acura if the replacement tranny would fix the current tranny disaster and he danced around and would not give a straight answer. By doing the dance, he gave me the answer, the trannys are still fu*ked.
I see petitions here and many angry people, why not use our strength to find a good law firm and go after honda/acura. We paid good money for a dependable product but instead we have defective cars that have little trade in value. We have been damaged in this matter and probably have legal recourse against honda/acura.
Oh btw, my tranny started dying last week. It will be in the shop monday to be evaluated for another defective tranny..We really need to go legal...
Old 07-10-2004, 02:25 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
jazzpicker --

There is a class action lawsuit against Honda at this point. Some of the members have hired a law firm specializing in this field, and they have been talking to several members with multiple transmission replacements. Too early to tell, but I'm hopeful. If we won, then Honda may just have to design a new transmission and replace ALL of our transmissions. But in our mighty justice system where the dollar speaks, it's hard to say for certain. But let's keep our hopes up. yeah?

uncleb --

Because I've read upon the transmission issue extensively and have talked to some people who know their shit. One member actually posted the actual Acura service note, which is for internal use only. In it was stated that the failure was due to the 3rd gear clutchpack, where the disc was not properly machined and the surface was left really rough. Therefore, over time, the discs were getting some severe abuse, and eventually crack. The way the transmission is designed, if the 3rd gear fails, then the 4th and 5th will be useless. That's why the car drops to 2nd gear if the transmission is broken, because the 3rd gear clutchpack would shatter and make 3rd, 4th and 5th gears useless.

There's nothing you can do about the 3rd gear problem at this point, except say a prayer every time you get in your car. As for the 2nd gear problem, well, I'm no expert, but I haven't heard anything about it. I honestly think that the one confirmed case was just a fluke, and Honda/Acura is using it to their advantage -- 70 million dollars for this recall is worth it, since the transmission problem is giving them a horrible image, hurting the resale value, and of course, much, much cheaper than designing a new transmission and replacing all affected transmissions. That includes Odyssey, Pilot, MDX, CL, TL, and Accord (am I forgetting anything else?). That is a shit ton of transmissions to build, and replace. It would cost them hundreds of millions of dollars minimum. That's why they decided to do the extended warranty (and even that only happened after all the members petitioned and demanded a solution) and take it on a case-by-case basis; all because it's cheaper to do it this way and hope that the owners don't find out it's a common problem.

This may sound like a conspiracy theory, but I honestly believe that Acura is instructing their dealerships to act like they had never heard of the transmission problem. Case in point -- a friend just had his '02 TL-S serviced a few weeks back because his transmission went out. The dealership (same dealership I got my car from) acted like they had never heard of the problem!! But you know what? The SAME advisors took his case a year ago when he had his first transmission replaced. And when I was buying my car last year, they assured me that the transmission problem was fixed. So they obviously know! Yet, from all the stories I've heard from the members on the forums, and my friend's case, Acura dealerships (at least quite a few of them) are acting like this is a very uncommon problem -- because they don't want the public to find out that it is indeed a common problem. Not only will the resale values drop, but the "trustworthy and reliable" image of Honda will be shot to shit. If you'll ask me, I say their cowardly tactic of going about this is what's hurting their image -- every car company fucks up. That's fine. But they are trying to cover it up, and that's just not cool. My '03 TL-S is definitely my first Honda and my LAST Honda ever.

fast-tl --

Pure ADrenaline, all afected cars get the oil sprayer, or a replacement tranny. The notice posted earlier in this thread says no. No bullshit involoved And I quote: "In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or disassembling the transmission, **AND** a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. **If there is any indication of damage to the gear, the dealer will replace the complete transmission assembly.**"

Yes, you're right. They will modify the oil return line, or give you a new transmission if need be. However, my point still stands. This is much cheaper than designing a new transmission and replacing all.

Besides, what's the point of getting the new transmission if your second gear is screwy? That will doesn't exempt you from the possible 3rd gear failure. That's my whole thing -- they aren't doing anything about the problem that is probably the cause of like almost all of transmission failures.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Racer

My car only has 13.7k miles on it right now. It starting to shift a little funny. No where as smooth as it was brand new. The fluid is turning brown. ...
Yep, same here, but my tranny lost fluid and what was in there was dark/ almost black - smelled burnt. They made me pay for a flush and said it was all better. Why exactly does a TL with less than 30K have no fluid show on the stick and shift VERY roughly - yet replacing fluid makes it better? Doesn't that indicate a larger issue?

Still doesn't shift like new, more like my old accord which sorta lurches when changing gears. I had gotten used to the smooth action, but it's like I paid 30K for a heavier old accord with less rear legroom.

I currently have 44k and no problems but recently in heavy traffic I noticed a sharp tug and a slight delay when I hit the gas in or around 2nd gear. This is not always the case but it happened twice in the past few weeks.
Yep that too (similar mileage).

Where is the love honda?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Instructor

I have received a notification letter related to this recall from my dealer and today I have visited them for improvement.

They have explained to me about the improvement as follows.

1. There are two procedures of improvements depends on the mileage of the car.
2. If the car has more than 57,000 km of mileage, at first they will add a "piping" which will add lubrication to the 2nd gear.
3. And also they take a picture of the 2nd gear by a digital camera and send it to HONDA headquarter of Japan.
4. HONDA headquarter of Japan checks the picture and if they have found an evidence that the 2nd gear had been burnt because of poor lubrication, the transmission of the car will be replaced.
5. If the car has less than 57,000 km of mileage, they add a "piping" and that is all.

In case of my Saber, the mileage is 72,000 km already.
Then today they have added a "piping" and took a picture.
They showed me a picture and they told me that there is no evidence of burned 2nd gear but final decision should be done by HONDA headquarter of Japan in a few weeks.

For your information, according to my dealer no transmission problem of TL is reported in Japan at all until now.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
So My car was in the shop on the july 5th and they put in a tranny on friday and it was a defect to so they ordered another one and my car wont be back till thursday and also will my feel the same with the new tranny?
Old 07-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Banned

www. acura world. com has nice info
Old 07-12-2004, 06:32 PM
I love cars!

dnd2984, ideally the new tranny shouldn't feel any different.
BTW, my tranny seems OK except for the slow shift from reverse to drive, but I just set up an appt at Goodson to get my '00 done. This is in the Dallas area. I've called periodically since the announcement and no luck, but today was the day! I'll have a TSX to play with for the day when I take mine in on Wednesday. I'm at 90K; I hope I get a replacement for safety's sake. I couldn't imagine just adding an oil jet kit after this many miles....
Old 07-13-2004, 02:11 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2000 TL w/35,000 mi went in today w/ a bad upshift from 2nd to 3rd.
Dealer's mchanic went one block w/ me and knew what it was. He thinks they'll
replace it and said none of the replacements they have done so far have come back.

I was given a new rental car and told "maybe Fri." .

They gave me a new TSX when I had the 30k service done but said they couldn't
give out the new ones for more than one day.

FWIW = They have been real good for four years running so now we'll see.

RM
Old 07-14-2004, 08:15 AM
I love cars!

Took my car in this am, and got some hesitance since I didn't have the letter (I was notified on the OWner Link site). When I first mentioned the recall, the advisor was literally like, Huh?, but quickly moved to "Well, we don't have the parts" and I informed him this was a 'scheduled' appointment. He finally acknowledged they have "some" kits but he thought I needed the letter. I wasn't pleased by the experience, but this advisor is my least favorite at the dealership. I left feeling like they were begrdugingly doing it. I didn't get the same advisor who set the appt; that was probably what set the less than ideal attitude. This guy's attitude is typically a passive "do we really have to?" rather than "How can I help, or what works best for you" Anyway, Got a TSX for the day, and hoping that my '00 with 90k miles gets another tranny, rather than the modification only. It was just really weird: OK you have the recall parts, I have a scheduled appointment, but you're hemming and hawing because I don't have a letter from Acura, even though your computer AND Owner Link both confirm my car's affected. GEEEEZ!! IF there were 30 TL's lined up outside that'd be one thing, but it's 7am and I'm your first customer of the DAY! Enough ranting; I'll let the group know how it turns out.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I got some same deal, they told me that they'll call me when they have the parts.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are going for a straight replacement on my TL w/ 35,000 mi.
and said it would take 3-5 days business days for replacement to arrive.

Rental from Enterprise privided.

RM
Old 07-14-2004, 12:40 PM
I love cars!

I haven't heard from the dealer yet. I now wonder if I should've openly requested another tranny rather than leave it to their judgement. I'm not sure it would've mattered. Rules are rules.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast-tl
Took my car in this am, and got some hesitance since I didn't have the letter (I was notified on the OWner Link site). When I first mentioned the recall, the advisor was literally like, Huh?, but quickly moved to "Well, we don't have the parts" and I informed him this was a 'scheduled' appointment. He finally acknowledged they have "some" kits but he thought I needed the letter. I wasn't pleased by the experience, but this advisor is my least favorite at the dealership. I left feeling like they were begrdugingly doing it. I didn't get the same advisor who set the appt; that was probably what set the less than ideal attitude. This guy's attitude is typically a passive "do we really have to?" rather than "How can I help, or what works best for you" Anyway, Got a TSX for the day, and hoping that my '00 with 90k miles gets another tranny, rather than the modification only. It was just really weird: OK you have the recall parts, I have a scheduled appointment, but you're hemming and hawing because I don't have a letter from Acura, even though your computer AND Owner Link both confirm my car's affected. GEEEEZ!! IF there were 30 TL's lined up outside that'd be one thing, but it's 7am and I'm your first customer of the DAY! Enough ranting; I'll let the group know how it turns out.

what dealer is this?
Old 07-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro

I will see this Sat if my dealer (Pleasanton Acura) is working on the recall since I am in there for an Oil Change anyways. If they don't have the parts, I will see if they will replace my tranny fluid under warranty just to replace some of the burnt fluid I have now.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:27 PM
I love cars!

Goodson, with whom I'm usually terrifically pleased when it comes to service. I didn't really want to mention names, but I couldn't in good conscience rate this experience excellent, though usually I can. When we're talking about potentially $3K in warranty work for them, you'd think the guy wouldn't make you feel as though you're an irritation. That's all I'll say. I'm sure the experience would've been different had I asked for the guy who made the appointment, instead of the one who makes me feel that Goodson's doing me a favor.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:27 PM
I love cars!

The dealer called, and my car's all done. Suprisingly they (thankfully I was turned over to the GOOD service advisor) said my tranny looked good and they only did the oil jet kit. At 90,000 miles! Say a prayer for me guys. I am paying for them to do a transmission flush ($80) since they said the fluid looked burnt. Picking it up tomorrow. I hope they're right!
Old 07-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Drifting

If the fluid looked burnt there's something wrong with your transmission. Probably the third gear problem.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Racer

Just wanted to add my .02c...
I decided to call the dealer and inqired about the recall on the tranny, even though I havnt got the letter yet.
It would seem they were well aware of the recall and after she checked my VIN #, confirmed that my car was on the list, and made an appointment for next wednesday.
My car has 23k Km on it and doesnt seem to show any of the failing tranny symptoms yet, but I decide to be pro-active about this.
Let you guys know what turns out.
J
Old 07-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Hippie Kill Team™

Just got my car car back after 6 days, they did a jet kit, replaced the trans silenoids, and a fluid flush under warranty
Old 07-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got an email from Autobytel:

Dear Valued Autobytel.com Customer,

In conjunction with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
Autobytel.com wants to make you aware of Manufacturer Recall Notices
that
may affect vehicles you currently own or vehicles you have expressed an
interest in owning.

Our records indicate you either own* or have submitted an Autobytel.com
Purchase Request for:

2002 Acura 3.2TL

For specific details on the vehicle recall(s) indicated above please
visit:
http://www.autobytel.com/servicejump.cfm?t=4
Old 07-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Again, reporting from Japan.

My Saber 2002 of approx. 45K miles had "Oil jet" into the transmission on July 10 at my dealer in Yokohama, Japan.
And according to this recall instruction, they took a picture of the 2nd gear and sent it to the HONDA headquarter of Japan.

They called me this week and told me that HONDA headquarter had confirmed that no evidence of "burnt" on my 2nd gear.
Then HONDA will not replace my transmission.
Since my transmission has no problem before this recall, I think I will believe HONDA and will continue to drive my Saber.

For your information, the work to install "Oil jet" takes about 60 minutes to 90 minutes.
However it is necessary to cool down the transmission before the work.

In my case, I have taken my saber to my dealer at 10:00 am and returned at 1:00 pm.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Instructor

I brought my car in for an oil change on friday and mentioned about the recall. They are aware but they dont have the parts yet. (Paragon Acura). At least they didnt play stupid like some dealers do.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Racer

Just read this statement from Honda concerning the recalls of the transmissions.

Surprised to see they say there are no accident's related to the failures .

This is not true. I know of " 3 " and I was involved in one of those.

the statement is obviously contradictory as they said this is a potential safety hazard.... Yeah when your car locks up going 70 mph out of the blue ,it's obviously a safety hazard ! When your second transmission locks up at 55 mph out of the blue and the car behind you slams into you ...Thats a whole different story .

Wasn't it copeland777 here at these forums that was invloved in an accident as well ,due to transmission failure? Anyone reacll this ?
Old 07-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Canadian Acura's

Last time I was at the dealer for service they said next time my 99 TL comes in they ae going to do a tranny test and see if it needs replacement. Apparently the warranty has been extended an extra 3 years 60,000kms. I have been informed my 04 TL should be tranny-problem free since it was built later on in the year.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by That Girl

Wasn't it copeland777 here at these forums that was invloved in an accident as well ,due to transmission failure? Anyone reacll this ?
Yes, Matt (copland007) had four transmissions replaced in his '02 TL-S, one of which suddenly downshifted from 5th to 2nd at highway speed when it failed. Although he was not in an accident as a result, he certainly could have and described the event as being quite alarming and dangerous. After a lengthy battle with Acura and a front-page newspaper story on the West Coast, he finally got Acura to lemon his car and give him a new '03 TL-S.

From all that I've read (over the last three years) on the tranny problems, it appears that the current recall is to address a different problem (2nd gear overheat) from the one that seemed to cause most of the tranny failures on these forums (weak/failing third gear clutch pack). Near as we can tell, having the recall done is still no guarantee your tranny won't fail from the original problem.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Racer

Thanks pianoman.

I found out who I was thinking of though ..it was a poster named SHYNE.... I looked back throughmy private messages here and saw this.

He was in critical condiditon after the accident ,but then I guess he turned out okay... he never filed suit against Acura due to this ,because his Attorney didn't want to persue...

Thanks again for that reminder though ,I had forgotten about Copeland's ordeal.

Quick Reply: 2000-2003 Transmission Recall Info Here