2000-2003 Transmission Recall Info Here

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda should also voluntarily inspect the transmission fluid because I know that some of our transmission fluid is turning prematurely brown and they should replace the fluid free of charge when we bring our car in for the recall if it is turning prematurely brown.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's a link that describes the recall:
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=5

This is the recall that MDX and Pilot owners have already received. Page 5 of this thread has the actual inspection procedure and action items related to this recall. This is an additional transmission issue than the one we are already aware of with our clutch packs and insufficient flow.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So who does this affect basically? everyone with a tl?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Intermediate

RECALL for TL Transmission?

JAPAN: Honda recalls 640,000 vehicles
01 Jul 2004

Japan's third-biggest automaker, Honda Motor, reportedly said on Wednesday it plans a recall of some 640,000 vehicles worldwide due to suspected defects with transmission and fuel pump systems - the recall will cost an estimated $US74.84 million.

Reuters reported that Honda would recall about 500,000 Accord, Acura TL and Acura CL models in the United States, while recalling 38,000 in Canada.

Honda would also recall some 68,000 units of five models including Odyssey minivans in Japan, and some 11,000 elsewhere in Asia while the rest of the recalls would be in the Middle East and Mexico, Reuters added.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

74.84 million......ouch Although, that's good they're doing a formal recall.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Racer

They do not replace your transmission. What they do is put a probe down to your tranny which will take a digital picture of that second gear. If they see that it's not lubricated enough, they will install a solenoid type of oil dispenser to the transmission that will constantly circulate lubricant. I'm think if the second gears are damaged, they will defin. have to replace the tranny.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Need to provide links when posting news...

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5551905
Old 07-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Intermediate

Yep! It is on the Reuters website
Old 07-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Are they going to do the same procedure for the TL as they are doing for the MDX's and pilots? The 2nd gear countershaft?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

Lock Up and Potential Safety Hazard

It is interesting that Honda seemed to have revised its announcement. If you compare what was first quoted (the first mail in this thread) there was this paragraph in the announcement:

"The situation is created by insufficient lubrication of the transmission’s secondary shaft second gear that can occur under certain driving conditions. Prolonged operation under these conditions can lead to heat build-up and under certain circumstances may eventually result in chipped or broken gear teeth or breakage of the gear. In the event of a chipped or broken tooth, the owner will likely experience abnormal noise from the transmission and seek repairs. In rare instances, this condition may lead to gear breakage and possible locking of the vehicle’s transmission, creating a potential safety hazard"

But if you click on the link http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...d=aQ8S.LNOBwao now, you won't see the last part about locking and potential safety hazard. So perhaps some higher-up at Honda saw this and decided to take out these alarming wordings.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I currently have 44k and no problems but recently in heavy traffic I noticed a sharp tug and a slight delay when I hit the gas in or around 2nd gear. This is not always the case but it happened twice in the past few weeks.

Is this the beginning?

Also does this article mean we will receive a letter from Honda stating to contact a local dealership for the true fix?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
I currently have 44k and no problems but recently in heavy traffic I noticed a sharp tug and a slight delay when I hit the gas in or around 2nd gear. This is not always the case but it happened twice in the past few weeks.

Is this the beginning?

Also does this article mean we will receive a letter from Honda stating to contact a local dealership for the true fix?

Thanks in advance

This also happens to me quite often now. Its occuring around the third gear for me. The delay happens when I am tapping the gas pedal while cruising (almost feels like a gear slippage), and the tug occurs at random. I've asked the Acura shop about this after my tranny got replaced and they said they can't replicate the effect and the computer was not showing anything.

So I would also like to know if this is a normal occurance or if its something covered under the recall.

TIA!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Racer

i called my dealer in norwalk CT and they were like we have heard nothing of a recall and we usually get the news before the press does
Old 07-01-2004, 11:19 AM
4th Gear

I called my deal in NJ. They are aware of this recall and they told me that Acura will send recall notice in 1-1/2 month time.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Instructor

has anyone experienced a rapid decrease in speed when the car downshifts automatically..when u are in sport shift and u change from 3rd to 2nd at a high speed the car jerks and slows down .. which is understandable...but when not in auto shift it seems my car is doing the same thing..like it is downshifting to 2nd too early and causing the same slight jerk and steady drop of speed........
Old 07-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Don't get too excited. Almost all cases of transmission failures in the past have been due to faulty 3rd gear clutchpack.

All they are doing in this recall is inspecting the SECOND gear shaft, make sure it's properly lubricated, and if it is, they pat you on the back and send you home. If it's not lubricated, they will install a sprayer to provide more ATF. And you go home.

The only case where you get a NEW transmission is if the 2nd gear teeth are about to fall off, which is highly unlikely since there has only been ONE case of that happening.

I said right off the bat, this is a bullshit recall, and Honda is doing a publicity stunt. The REAL problem is still there, yet they aren't doing anything because it's too expensive.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:20 PM
10th Gear

I have a 99TL with a 4 speed, it has 112K on it and it is shifting a little weird, am I covered??

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Here is another link:

http://world.honda.com/news/2004/c040630.html

According to this press release, the recall will affect 2000 - 2003 and early 2004 TL's. I guess those of us like myself that thought we missed the first one will be affected by this recall. It then states that letters will be mailed out in late July to owners.

Here is the Press Release:

American Honda Expands Voluntary Transmission Recall to Certain Honda and Acura Automobiles

TORRANCE, Calif., June 29, 2004 -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today announced that it will expand its existing voluntary recall of light truck models for a potential transmission defect to include certain Honda and Acura passenger cars. The voluntary action involves approximately 499,000 Honda and Acura passenger vehicles with V6 engines and 5-speed automatic transmissions. Affected models include certain 2003 and early 2004 model Accord V6 sedans and coupes, 2000-2003 and early 2004 Acura TL sedans, and 2001-2003 Acura CL coupes.

The company has found only one confirmed instance of a transmission failure related to this defect in its passenger cars, with no accidents or injuries. “We are acting out of an abundance of caution to ensure that this doesn’t become an issue for our customers,’” said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

The situation is created by insufficient lubrication of the transmission’s secondary shaft second gear that can occur under certain driving conditions. Prolonged operation under these conditions can lead to heat build-up and under certain circumstances may eventually result in chipped or broken gear teeth or breakage of the gear. In the event of a chipped or broken tooth, the owner will likely experience abnormal noise from the transmission and seek repairs. In rare instances, this condition may lead to gear breakage and possible locking of the vehicle’s transmission, creating a potential safety hazard.

Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted via mail and will be asked to take their vehicle to an authorized Honda or Acura dealer to be repaired free of charge. Customer mailings will begin in late July. In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or disassembling the transmission, and a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. If there is any indication of damage to the gear, the dealer will replace the complete transmission assembly. Customers concerned about the condition of their vehicle may visit Honda’s Ownerlink website. Customers may also contact their local Honda or Acura dealer, or call Honda customer service or Acura customer service.

Note: This information is being released in conjunction with an announcement concerning a related recall action for Honda models in Japan.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Of course, I just checked my Owner's Link and it claims that there are "no current safety recalls for your 2003 TL." Great. No wonder the dealers don't know about it - even corporate doesn't.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Recall in Japan

Writing from Japan.

HONDA also made an announcement of recall for Lagraid (Odyssey in USA), Inspire (TL in USA), Saber (TL in USA) and etc for the 5 speed automatic transmission.
My Saber is one of these.

The reason for this recall is described by Bitium.

I like to describe how HONDA here in Japan is going for the owner of these models.

1. HONDA has a criterion of mileage of the car with which HONDA make a decision how they will do for the particular car.
There is no description what is mileage of the criterion is.

2. If the car has more than the criterion of mileage, HONDA checks if the surface of the counter second gear has an evidence of burnt.
If the evidence is found, they replace the transmission.
If the evidence could not be found, they will add a "piping" which adds lubrication to the second gear into transmission.
http://www.honda.co.jp/recall/040630_1146b1.html
(See a drawing on bottom right of this page for additional "piping")

3. If the car has less than the criterion of the mileage, they add a "piping" which adds lubrication to the second gear into transmission.

This recall is only for the models which has 5 speed transmission.
Therefore all Inspire and Saber that has 4 speed transmission are not recalled.

Since my mileage is approx. approx. 45,000 miles or 72,000 km, I think that my Saber has more than the criterion of mileage.
I have changed transmission fluid every 12,500 miles or 20,000 km because I know this transmission problem by this forum, but I am not sure what is the situation of my second gear.

I believe that I will get a notification letter from HONDA very soon and I will let you know what HONDA did for my Saber.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Drifting

does this mean i can supercharege my TLS without worrying about failure?
Old 07-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by njtls
does this mean i can supercharege my TLS without worrying about failure?
Nope.

They still aren't doing anything about the 3rd gear clutchpack, which is the most common cause of transmission failures.

THIS RECALL IS A PUBLICITY STUNT. Plain and simple. There are tons of people out there who have heard about the transmission problem in our cars, but don't know the specific details. With this half-assed bullshit recall, Honda/Acura is trying to fool people into thinking that everything will be alright now.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Phil 4:13

All info has been discussed in MORE detail.
See Trasmission Recall Sticky
Old 07-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Drifting

What acura needs is a newly redesigned tranny, the hell with patch fixes. Sounds to me as if we all will eventualy need replacements. Sure that 2nd gear may not show damage, but if it has been heating up due to non-lubrication, the gear could & is probably work hardened. This makes this part very hard & brittle. I'm a Machinest & know exactley what work hardened parts can do. They chip & brake very easily!!
Old 07-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Banned

Owner Link Transmission Recall Info Is Up!!!

Your 2003 Acura is included in the 00-04 CL & TL A/T RECALL Campaign.

Description 00-04 CL & TL A/T RECALL
Date 6/29/2004
Type Safety Recall Campaign
Status Open

Recall Campaign: Automatic Transmission Second Gear Inspection

Dear Acura Owner:

Your vehicle is affected by the automatic transmission recall that was recently announced.

What is the problem?
Certain operating conditions can result in heat build-up between the second gears of the transmission's countershaft and secondary shaft. Prolonged operation under these conditions can eventually result in a decrease in the gear's material strength. In higher mileage vehicles, this may lead to chipped or broken gear teeth or, in rare instances, gear failure.

What are "certain operating conditions"?
Extended cruising in top gear with a high engine load but small throttle opening can result in limited oil flow to second gear, causing localized heat build-up. These conditions should be rare. Examples may include extended towing in top gear on a very flat road with a throttle opening of 1/4 or less; or frequent driving up a road with a very consistent slope of approximately 3.5~6%, again maintaining a throttle opening around 1/4 or less.

Under most circumstances, small road undulations or throttle corrections cause the vehicle to go in and out of torque converter lock-up, varying engine rpm, and therefore increasing oil flow to the gears. Increased oil flow dissipates heat and prevents second gear damage.

What should I do now? Can I continue to drive?
Occurrences of lock-up due to gear breakage are very rare, especially at low mileage. There are no confirmed failures in U.S. vehicles with mileage less than 60,000 miles. Acura will notify customers to visit their dealership according to vehicle age, allowing us to efficiently schedule parts and repairs. Please contact your dealer when you receive your notice, or sooner if you notice any abnormal noises from your transmission.

How and when will Acura begin to notify owners?
Mailings began in early May and will continue until September or until all customers have been notified. We recommend that customers wait until they are notified before trying to schedule an appointment. This will allow us to carry out the most efficient, effective and timely campaign.

What is the dealer looking for when inspecting the transmission?
Vehicles with less than 15,000 miles - The technician will update the transmission with a simple modification to the oil cooler return line to increase lubrication to second gear.

Vehicles with more than 15,000 miles - The technician will inspect the second gear for discoloration of the gear due to heat damage. If there is any evidence of heat damage, the transmission will be replaced. If discoloration is not present, the dealer will perform the modification to the oil cooler return line.

What is this "simple modification to the oil cooler return line"?
It is a relatively simple repair involving the installation of an "oil jet kit" that is mounted on the top of the transmission. The modification works by taking a portion of the transmission fluid that is flowing back from the cooling system and spraying that fluid directly onto the affected gear, eliminating the potential for heat damage.

How can I be sure I won't have problems with this repair in later years, after the warranty period has expired?
For vehicles affected by this campaign, installation of the oil kit provides a permanent repair.

Should my vehicle be towed to the dealership?
If you experience transmission noise or transmission lock-up, the vehicle should be towed to the dealership. If not, it can be driven to the dealership when the appointment is scheduled.

Is there a way for me or my independent repair facility to diagnose this problem?
No, your vehicle must be taken to an authorized Acura dealership for a thorough inspection and accurate repair.

Why is the dealer repair different from the manufacturing repair?
The manufacturing change was relatively easy to accomplish during transmission production, but to apply the same repair at the dealership would require transmission removal and disassembly. Installation of the oil kit is a permanent repair that is easily accomplished at the dealership.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:28 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Taking mine into Goodson for the 2nd weekend in a row, I guess. Last weekend they replaced 2 engine mounts @ 90k miles (Yay AcuraCare!), and now likely the tranny. Only problem I have is the delayed shift from reverse to drive. PArk to reverse is nearly instant. Neutral to reverse is nearly instant (and these shifts were instant on the loaner TSX I had). Shifting from reverse to drive, or neutral to drive, I can count 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000 before it engages. TOO LONG! Even my Ford Expedition's shifts are instant under these conditions! I want a new tranny, before the Acura Care runs out at 100K miles! I just read the recall, and I'm not waiting for the mail. That's the point of Owner Link: to keep us up to date.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:30 PM
I love cars!

Taking mine into Goodson Acura in Dallas for the 2nd weekend in a row, I guess. Last weekend they replaced 2 engine mounts @ 90k miles (Yay AcuraCare!), and now likely the tranny. Only tranny problem I have is the delayed shift from reverse to drive. Park to reverse is nearly instant. Neutral to reverse is nearly instant (and these shifts were instant on the loaner TSX I had). Shifting from reverse to drive, or neutral to drive, I can count 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000 before it engages. TOO LONG! Even my Ford Expedition's shifts are instant under these conditions! I want a new tranny, before the Acura Care runs out at 100K miles! I just read the recall, and I'm not waiting for the mail. That's the point of Owner Link: to keep us up to date.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:24 AM
I love cars!

Well, just got back from Goodson here in Dallas (Irving). They didn't really know about the recall until they pulled it up in their sytem. Then they said they don't even have the parts and that Acura will begin notiying people in July...blah.blah blah. Well, again Owner Link just did notify me! My car is a '00, so at least I should be among the earlier notifications. Has anyone actually had this work done already?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:33 AM
I love cars!

Pure ADrenaline, all afected cars get the oil sprayer, or a replacement tranny. The notice posted earlier in this thread says no. No bullshit involoved And I quote: "In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or disassembling the transmission, **AND** a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. **If there is any indication of damage to the gear, the dealer will replace the complete transmission assembly.**"
Old 07-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Pure Adrenaline, I do beleive that Acura-Honda is trying to cover their own a$$, but I cannot believe that they are doing this as a publicity stunt. This is not going to do anything to help their image, especially to TL owners who felt that this should have been done a long time ago. I personally never thought it would never happen do to the dollars involved but I guess I was wrong. Guys, just think what this is going to do our already pathetic depreciation. I guess I should be content with getting about a tenth of what I paid in a coulpe of years, right!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme

Is this the beginning?

Thanks in advance
That's how mine started. I noticed a surge/seasicklile motion on acceleration up a freeway on ramp.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2003 TL-S
Of course, I just checked my Owner's Link and it claims that there are "no current safety recalls for your 2003 TL." Great. No wonder the dealers don't know about it - even corporate doesn't.
My Owners Link now shows the recall notice.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Wilson

If you paid to have your tranny replaced already will they reinburse you the cost ? On other recalls I think it's mandatory.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are exactly right!!!

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Don't get too excited. Almost all cases of transmission failures in the past have been due to faulty 3rd gear clutchpack.

All they are doing in this recall is inspecting the SECOND gear shaft, make sure it's properly lubricated, and if it is, they pat you on the back and send you home. If it's not lubricated, they will install a sprayer to provide more ATF. And you go home.

The only case where you get a NEW transmission is if the 2nd gear teeth are about to fall off, which is highly unlikely since there has only been ONE case of that happening.

I said right off the bat, this is a bullshit recall, and Honda is doing a publicity stunt. The REAL problem is still there, yet they aren't doing anything because it's too expensive.
After talking to the dealership, I think you are 100% right. More Acura/Honda bullshˇt.
They are dancing around the problem instead of fixing it.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Banned

Another transmission recall thread was merged into this one. We're trying to keep all the 2nd gen recall chatter to one stickied thread.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:34 AM
I love cars!

Jazzpicker - read below!

Originally Posted by fast-tl
Pure ADrenaline, all afected cars get the oil sprayer, or a replacement tranny. The notice posted earlier in this thread says no. No bullshit involoved And I quote: "In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or disassembling the transmission, **AND** a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. **If there is any indication of damage to the gear, the dealer will replace the complete transmission assembly.**"
There are no real smoke 'n mirrors. Each car will have either parts installed or a replacement tranny. There is no "pat you on teh back" option. If your car is part of the recall, there is actual work involved. Unfortunately, my dealer had not yet received the parts to do teh repair, so I'll just keep driving until then.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
So yea my Tranny went today It started jerking and downshifting and wont upsift till 5k
Old 07-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Drifting

The warranty extention is great news, hopefully this will help my resale value because I'm letting this baby go in the spring!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Go to the owner link on Acura's website. Put in your user name and password and click on the recall link and you will know instantly if your ride is included. BTW my '03 is at the dealership as we speak!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:51 PM
I love cars!

Owner link says mine is involved, but Goodson said they weren't equipped to fix it yet. So wo's actually in teh process of getting the fix now? I saw a bulletin that sadi ACura was to overnight parts on 7/8 to the dealers, so.....

Quick Reply: 2000-2003 Transmission Recall Info Here