View Poll Results: Worth swapping bell housings?
Yes
0%
No
100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

07’ BAYA Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 02:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07’ BAYA Swap

I cannot seem to find a definitive answer before trying to do it myself first hand but I was curious if anyone has gone the extra mile to keep the power steering speed sensor from the 02’ stock TL trans by swapping the bell housing over to the 07’ BAYA trans case? Or is looping the power steering line back to the rack really no big deal?
Old 11-29-2023, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by El Jefe
I cannot seem to find a definitive answer before trying to do it myself first hand but I was curious if anyone has gone the extra mile to keep the power steering speed sensor from the 02’ stock TL trans by swapping the bell housing over to the 07’ BAYA trans case?
You probably won't get one, in the short term, because this forum is like , and most with this TL-P dilemma have moved on.
Personally, as was mentioned by others in the FAQ AV6 thread, I don't think I have seen anyone ever specifically document that they have done this here.
Reason being is because it is the '...looping of the steering line back to the rack...' that is listed as the quick alternative (on the attachment below if you have not already read it) to the issue for those TL-P folks like yourself.
You would be the first, if you follow through.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by zeta; 11-29-2023 at 04:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
El Jefe (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 04:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zeta
You probably won't get one, in the short term, because this forum is like , and most with this TL-P dilemma have moved on.
Personally, as was mentioned by others in the FAQ AV6 thread, I don't think I have seen anyone ever specifically document that they have done this here.
Reason being is because it is the '...looping of the steering line back to the rack...' that is listed as the quick alternative (on the attachment below if you have not already read it) to the issue for those TL-P folks like yourself.
You would be the first, if you follow through.
Appreciate the words brotha.
Currently looking into 07’ BAYA tech books for bell housing removal to just compare difference with TL procedure for theory before going head in. I’ve got the Acura book(s) but for the accord, not able to find the bell housing part thru 800 pages of transaxle stuff for accord online.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

^
If you want, maybe reach out to DP01TL since he is the latest TL-P'er to have performed the AV6 swap.
Not sure if he did the 'loop back', but probably, so he may be able to give you his personal opinion on whether the PS is different enough to warrant what you have in mind?
Doing BAYA swap this weekend... - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Last edited by zeta; 11-29-2023 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zeta
^
If you want, maybe reach out to DP01TL since he is the latest TL-P'er to have performed the AV6 swap.
Not sure if he did the 'loop back', but probably, so he may be able to give you his personal opinion on whether the PS is different enough to warrant what you have in mind?
Doing BAYA swap this weekend... - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community
Greatly appreciate the reply brother. I will reach out
Old 11-29-2023, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
In regards to swapping the bell housing, trust me, I looked into it. Per a guy that rebuilds these transmissions all the time, he stated that the probability of the shafts, oil passages, gearsets and everything else being "on the money" for you to swap the bellhousing is basically NIL.

The output gearing changed, the shaft locations are different, etc, etc... He said you could end up machining new shafts and possibly modifying the older bellhousing, but in reality it only takes a single new shaft in a place the old one doesn't have it and or vice-versa (old shaft that the new one doesn't have) and you are screwed.

Basically they "fixed" the older design, which means they made enough changes to not even consider the effort. And since that means cracking the case apart you are looking at a full rebuild to accomplish it anyways, which means measureing endplay on shafts and everything else. The mess alone to look into it made me say, "screw it". Well that and the transmission i used was a rebuilt unit already.

Trust me, I am one to not want to "give up" features and options. It killed me to have to decide to go the AV6 route... But, once I got into it I noticed the guy that butchered my car previously broke the mounting ear off the speed-sensitive steering pump and it was just "in there" without being retained... I was more than a little pissed to see that.

Honestly, now that we have been driving the car for the past few months, I don't regret doing the AV6 swap at all.
zeta (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Hi guys, wouldn't it be easier to install the Type S steering rack into to the premium model at the same time as the AV6?
El Jefe (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 08:50 AM
USAF Veteran

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Has anyone who did the swap notice any real difference with the rack looped?
Old 11-30-2023, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Saudade
Has anyone who did the swap notice any real difference with the rack looped?
DP01TL gives his impression below:

Originally Posted by DP01TL
Well, the best solution for me was just to leave the bypass hose at 100% (ie, no restrictor on it, full flow). The steering needs a little muscle at low speeds, but even the wife doesn't mind it at all. It is VERY driveable and there are no surprises on the highway. For safety it is the best solution I do believe. Also, I am going to be doing another fluid exchange on teh steering when I redo the timing belt and waterpump. With the bypass hos in place the way it is the entire system should flush properly. I had the issue of the bypass side not flushing at all because the wheels were not turning the first time I followed the factory service manual procedure and the remaining black fluid contaminated the new fluid I just put in the system. I was NOT happy with brand new fluid looking dark brown (yeah the fluid that was in teh car after 229k miles was black as pitch). So when I do the other work I will be putting on a new power steering belt and redoing the fluid in teh pwoer steering system once more.

Honestly, I am sure there is a "perfect orifice size" to put into the bypass hose to get it to feel identical to the Type-S steering. I would imagine it is closer to the bypass outlet size (on the inlet to that hose, which is smalelr than the outlet tube) than the hose size is. I would say about 9/10 the size would be a good start, going down to 4/5 the size as the smallest... Anything smaller than that runs the risk of the car being too twitchy on the highway at speed, which, especially in winter, could be asking for an accident. A small change at lower speed is all that is needed to make it perfect. With it full open it just feels a bit "heavy".
Old 11-30-2023, 03:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DP01TL
In regards to swapping the bell housing, trust me, I looked into it. Per a guy that rebuilds these transmissions all the time, he stated that the probability of the shafts, oil passages, gearsets and everything else being "on the money" for you to swap the bellhousing is basically NIL.

The output gearing changed, the shaft locations are different, etc, etc... He said you could end up machining new shafts and possibly modifying the older bellhousing, but in reality it only takes a single new shaft in a place the old one doesn't have it and or vice-versa (old shaft that the new one doesn't have) and you are screwed.

Basically they "fixed" the older design, which means they made enough changes to not even consider the effort. And since that means cracking the case apart you are looking at a full rebuild to accomplish it anyways, which means measureing endplay on shafts and everything else. The mess alone to look into it made me say, "screw it". Well that and the transmission i used was a rebuilt unit already.

Trust me, I am one to not want to "give up" features and options. It killed me to have to decide to go the AV6 route... But, once I got into it I noticed the guy that butchered my car previously broke the mounting ear off the speed-sensitive steering pump and it was just "in there" without being retained... I was more than a little pissed to see that.

Honestly, now that we have been driving the car for the past few months, I don't regret doing the AV6 swap at all.
Thats what I came to the conclusion last night. I found the tech books for the BAYA and it’s as you said, nothing will line up absolutely perfect. Thank you for your input. I will be updating forum post when the swap is complete on my end to give some words of advice to anyone doing this swap up to current date
Old 11-30-2023, 03:31 PM
10th Gear

Type S Rack

Originally Posted by whitetiger5
Hi guys, wouldn't it be easier to install the Type S steering rack into to the premium model at the same time as the AV6?
Absolutely without a doubt. I would’ve gone this route if I didn’t have a new Rack ready installed with little to no miles on it. TL tranny decided to let go 2 days after the replacement.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by El Jefe
Absolutely without a doubt. I would’ve gone this route if I didn’t have a new Rack ready installed with little to no miles on it. TL tranny decided to let go 2 days after the replacement.
That sounds like my kind of "luck"... I got the entire suspension redone, as in shocks/struts (twice, don't buy Gabriel Quickstruts), control arms, torsion bars, every bushing, balljoints, etc, etc... Only to have the transmission fail and almost blow the engine within 100 miles (it decided to downshift two or more gears at 75mph on the freeway all on its own, even bouncing off the rev limiter a few times before I threw it into neutral). So I ended up doing the AV6 swap a few weeks later.

But, it all worked out well, I ended up replacing all the solenoids with Rostra units (shift solenoids, linear pressure solenoids, etc), replaced the remaining sensors (pressure, temperature, speed, etc) with new Honda units all on a rebuilt BAYA with less than 12k on it (I think there was actually only about 6-8k on the rebuild). I added in an external transmission cooler and a transmission fluid thermostat to control flow to the external cooler. I kept the original fluid "heater" (the Acura versions are stainless steel and nice units) as I drive the car in winter.

Then I went off the deep-end on a stereo installation and a remote start/alarm installation... Glutton for punishment I guess.