'02TL-S: holding back

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '02TL-S: holding back

Lots of talk about the new revamped and aggresssive 03/04 TL-S. I agree, it's a little depressing when ya buy a new "state of the arts" car, and then 5-6 months later your car is outdated.

Hey..that's automobile marketing though. That's what continues to sell cars. Acura IS holding back on what they could have put in the 02 tl-s, but i don't think it's gonna hurt sales any. The hype is high, customers are loyal, and this forum is on its toes.

It just seems to me that Acura is constantly "keeping up with it's competitors" (especially with the TL and RL) I wish they would TRULY REVAMP the TL or RL, and become a Luxury- & Mid-Luxury front-runner in the market.

I wonder if Acura wants to be constantly "catching up" or if soon,...they will become the blueprint target for its competitors.

------------------
Old 03-09-2001, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

To each their own, but I don't think that's a good idea. Sure, the car is getting a redesign for 2004, but it's also going to be a lot more expensive. They are supposed to be moving the TL away from the CL price range, and closer to the RL pricing so it's more in the middle and it seperates the models price wise more then they are now. If you really don't mind waiting 2 1/2 years for a new car and spending the extra money, then it's a good decision, but I'd say, buy the car now, throw $1k in mods on the car to bring you over 300hp and be happy with that. No matter what you do, a newer, better model will be available anyway......

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 03-09-2001, 11:12 PM

I think with the 1999 TL, Acura did pass the competition but sort of overdid it. At the sub-$30K sticker you got a car that was better than a $36K-stickered ES300 (comparably equipped) and this was really too much of a price spread--as evidenced by the soaring sales. The cars were (and still are) flying off the lots.

So imagine you are in management at Acura and supply-demand shows that you could be charging much more for the car but on what justification can you crank up the price by several $thousand (admitting you priced the car too low wiil not wash).

You develop alot of hype and desire for the special "S" model and get folks to pay a few thousand more. The profit margin for Acura is great since how much can it really be costing to tweak a few more horses out of what is basically the same engine. So now a price of about $32K is established for the "S" and the following year "voila"--all of the "S" features are migrated to the base model. Net result is that Acura has managed to crank the MSRP up several thousand with apparent "justification".

------------------
Doug Silver
2000 TL
1995 Vette
Los Angeles, CA