Winter tires, OEM rims, and pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter tires, OEM rims, and pressure sensors

Got my '05 RL in October - love it! Working/living in NY and VT, and since I can barely get up my drive now on the all-seasons, I guess it is time for the snows to go on.

Saw some good recommendations in other posts for tires. The only thing I am unsure about is how the tire pressure sensors work, how they are attached to the rims, and if I go to my local tire shop, are they likely to break something while mounting the snows on the OEM rims.

If I choose to go with alternate rims for the snows, should I bother with the pressure sensors or just live without the feature for the winter? (Assuming of course that I don't have to spend the next three months with a warning light on the dash!)

Any comments are appreciated. Cheers,J
Old 01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
When I got my Dunlop Wintersport M3s mounted at Discount Tire, there was no issue. I was in and out in 40mins, with no mention of the tire pressure sensors.

I think they're widespread enough now where those that mount tires know how to handle them. That said, not sure there's much to handle.

I'd give you a snow tire report, but since I got them in early Dec., on it's been between 50 and 70 about every day. Figures.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
You'll probably go nuts with all of the warnings you'll get if you don't have TPMS sensors. I would definitely have the snow tires mounted by an experienced technician since there is a bit of a trick to mounting them without damaging (eg loosening) the TPMS sensors. Some rookie mounted my tires (on my 18's) and I just barely got home with 3 flat tires. The sensors are a small unit (half the size of a pack of cigarettes??) that comes with the air inflation stalk attached. I didn't see how they are attached to the wheel. The only trick to mounting them is to first slip the tire over the area with the sensor (when it is easy to get the tire bead against the wheel in that area) and then use the machine to "stretch" the tire over the rest of the wheel. The problem if you try to "stretch" the tire over the TPMS sensor area of the wheel is that it exerts a lot of pressure on the sensor which can loosen it and cause leakage. I hope that made sense. The bottom line is that someone who knows what they are doing will have no problem at all.
My recommendation would be to buy a set of rims for your snow tires so you don't have to take them on and off all the time. Better yet, you could do what I did and buy OEM 18's with all season tires and then mount the snow tires on your OEM 17's.
By the way, I chose 225/55/17's for snow tires as recommended by the tire retailer - narrower the better with snow tires since wider tires tend to act like skis in snow.
Good luck.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I agree - go to a place that can handle mounting them. That said - the place I go to handles them without a problem. A lot of TPMS systems will require playing with the tire pressure and setting other switches in order to register - but with the Acura, there is none of that. Mount them up and drive for a few minutes and the system will automatically detect the new tire pressure.

I agree with hondamore on the size choice. I had the Dunlop Wintersport M3s in the 225/55/17 and those with the AWD the car plowed right through the snow. Narrower the better
Old 01-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by vp911
Welcome to the forums! I agree - go to a place that can handle mounting them. That said - the place I go to handles them without a problem. A lot of TPMS systems will require playing with the tire pressure and setting other switches in order to register - but with the Acura, there is none of that. Mount them up and drive for a few minutes and the system will automatically detect the new tire pressure.

I agree with hondamore on the size choice. I had the Dunlop Wintersport M3s in the 225/55/17 and those with the AWD the car plowed right through the snow. Narrower the better
Could you please help me with a tire pressure monitoring system problem? I recently had to have one of my tires and wheels replaced and picked my car up today and the TPMS on my way home showed an error message and a reading of 58psi on the replaced tire. However, when I checked the tire, the pressure was a normal 35psi. Does anybody know what was done wrong? I have an appointment Monday afternoon but wondered if there was anyone who had any idea what the deal is to help me now.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

How far did you get to drive with the new tires? When it shows 58psi that is when it is resetting itself. If you give it 5-20 minutes of the car being on, the TPMS should reset itself and then read the correct pressure again. If you are still having problems, I would go back to the tire place and have them check to make sure it isn't loose.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Dr. E in TN

How far did you get to drive with the new tires? When it shows 58psi that is when it is resetting itself. If you give it 5-20 minutes of the car being on, the TPMS should reset itself and then read the correct pressure again. If you are still having problems, I would go back to the tire place and have them check to make sure it isn't loose.
My wife drove the car 30 minutes home and then I drove it around the block a few miles. The car drives perfect and the pressure measures 35psi fine. Why do you think it still says 58psi?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

The antenna may not be picking up the rf signal from the sensor. Perhaps the tire shop didn't even put in the sensor? I would go back to them and have them check it out before going to the dealer. Your dealer will charge you if they find it to be a problem that the tire place caused.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

The tire place may have used a generic TPMS sensor to save a few bucks and it isn't communicating properly with the RL's system??? The other possiblility is that they reused the old TPMS sensor and it was damaged at the same time as you damaged your tire/wheel??? At least it is reading higher than normal so you aren't bombarded with warning lights and bells.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Dr. E in TN

Thanks for the input. Since it was an insurance claim, I have made sure that the body shop who fixed the tire is taking it with me to Acura Monday. I am not paying another penny and am a bit pissed off at having to make a special trip because of their incompetence. I told them no less than 3 times to check the TPMS because I know how technologically advanced the RL is and I just wish people who don't know how to do something just say: "I don't know." I am a physician and have learned over 8 years to be honest when you don't know something and say so, and you'll never get in trouble. Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh ok. I didn't realize it was an insurance claim. good luck, let us know what it is. I agree with the "I don't know" factor. BTW, what type of physician?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Dr. E in TN

Oh ok. I didn't realize it was an insurance claim. good luck, let us know what it is. I agree with the "I don't know" factor. BTW, what type of physician?
I am a family doctor in Tennessee. I do all aspects of family medicine and endoscopy (colonoscopy and EGD.) Thanks for asking. I love my RL! It seems to be technologically advanced beyond its time doesn't it?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Ahh cool

Yep, it sure is. Just wait a few years, they will drive themselves!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

I bet it is a lot easier driving an RL than navigating through someone's intestines - if only Acura made endoscopes with that sweet nav system.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hondamore
I bet it is a lot easier driving an RL than navigating through someone's intestines - if only Acura made endoscopes with that sweet nav system.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by hondamore
For Real!!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Dr. E in TN

My TPMS problem resolution

My TPMS problem is fixed. Went back down to the body shop who found the problem: they put my new tire and wheel back on the vehicle with no sensor whatsoever. Fortunately they had my old tire and its sensor. They drove it to the Acura dealership with me, and those genius Acura guys had me rolling out of the dealership (fixed) in 20 minutes.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:33 AM
6th Gear

Winter Tires - Dunlop Wintersport M3

Purchased 245 x 40 x 18 in in 2004 and fitted to my 2004 TL for the '04/'05 snow's. Sold the TL and bought an RL late 2005 and fitted same tires to aftermarket 18" rims for '05/'06 winter season. Absolutely incredible tire in the snow/slush here in new Jersey. Would recommend to anyone. A little noisy due to the deep grooves, but performance and traction in wet, dry and snow is what they are about!