Winter Tire Pkg.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:15 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Winter Tire Pkg.

I have a set of Winter tires/wheels coming from the Tire Rack next week. I plan on changing the tires out myself. These tires are coming in mounted and balanced with the TPMS sensors.
1) Do I have to do anything to reset the sensors after installing the tires?

2) I can physically see where the jacking points are under the car, but where is this triangle located that the owner's manual says shows where the jacking points are?

3) Opinion request, is it worth it to purchase one of the heavy duty car jacks or is the one that comes with the car sufficient?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
1) No. You just drive it for a few miles and the computer will figure out what is going on. You may be able to leave it overnight, and the same thing will happen. The reason for driving is that the interrogation rate between the computer and the pressure sensors increases to about once per minute vs maybe once per hour when the car is parked and turned off, to preserve the battery in the TPMS unit. The times are approximate, based on a generic system. I do not know the times for the Acura/Honda system.

2) Yes you can see the reinforcements under the car

3) It is worth the $99 to me to get the aluminum jack from Costco. I have not changed/rotated tires in the RL, but I have on my other three cars and it is well worth getting that jack.

4) Set your torque wrench to 80-85 lbs, no more. I think, but do not know, that the socket size will be 23 mm
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 AM
Pro

Thanks Chas2, good info!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Update

Originally Posted by robarsan
I have a set of Winter tires/wheels coming from the Tire Rack next week. I plan on changing the tires out myself. These tires are coming in mounted and balanced with the TPMS sensors. (...)
Can you tell us more about the tires/wheels you got? They even provided the TPMS sensors, how is it all working (tires/sensors)?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Pro

The wheels didn't fit. Specifically, the inside of the wheel hit the brake caliper before I even had a chance to tighten the lugs. Long story short, I returned the entire tire/wheel package to the Tire Rack and they were very helpful and professional in dealing with this issue.

The RL wheels have an uncommon offset that many tire/wheel dealers still don't seem to grasp. I ended up just buying some Pilot Aspen winter tires and had them mounted on the OEM wheels.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the follow-up robarsan (even though this obviously wasn't a great experience). I was hoping to be able to use my 2004 TL OEM mag wheels but it seems they won't fit on the RL (damned!). I wonder if Acura will come up with a similar package deal to what they offered for the TL (4 OEM mag wheels and 4 winter tires). I hope so...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Pro

The wheels didn't fit. Specifically, the inside of the wheel hit the brake caliper before I even had a chance to tighten the lugs. Long story short, I returned the entire tire/wheel package to the Tire Rack and they were very helpful and professional in dealing with this issue.

The RL wheels have an uncommon offset that many tire/wheel dealers still don't seem to grasp. I ended up just buying some Pilot Aspen winter tires and had them mounted on the OEM wheels.
Correction: The winter tires are Pilot Alpin, not Aspen.....dain brammage here
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Question

Correction: The winter tires are Pilot Alpin, not Aspen (...)
Are you happy with them? Did they work well over the winter? (we got tons of snow in my area this past winter and I will need good winter tires)
Old 04-15-2008, 03:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sylvain
Are you happy with them? Did they work well over the winter? (we got tons of snow in my area this past winter and I will need good winter tires)
Yes, they were excellent in the snow.

I would recommend reading the reviews at the Tire Rack website. I find them to be accurate and they cover a wide array of performance ratings with respect to road conditions.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Thanks robarsan. I like Consumer Reports reviews as well; they are usually pretty thorough and always independent.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Question 22mm/80 lbs

Originally Posted by Chas2
(...)Set your torque wrench to 80-85 lbs, no more. I think, but do not know, that the socket size will be 23 mm
Another thread on this site says 22 mm socket size and 90 lbs on the torque wrench. Do we know for sure which it is?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

I just re-researched this.

The manual says indirectly:

Tighten the wheel nuts securely in
the same crisscross pattern. Have
the wheel nut torque checked at
the nearest automotive service
facility.

Tighten the wheel nuts to:
94 lbf·ft (127 N·m , 13 kgf·m)

I say indirectly because this is the spec for the spare. My dealer says all the wrenches are set at 90, regardless of the car. Did not say whether it applies to the SUVs...but the MDX manual quotes the same 94 lbs ft torque setting.

I do not have the socket size. I just know that the 21 for my Toyota do not fit. Too small. Dealer said I thought it was 23 but not really sure.

Who has a service manual?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Question 80lbs or 90lbs

Thanks for the quick and detailed follow-up Chas2. I believe it was 80 lbs for my TL and I don't really see why it would be that different for the RL. (but then, I'm no expert) As far as the socket size is concerned, I'll have to get one (or two) and see what fits...
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sylvain
Thanks for the quick and detailed follow-up Chas2. I believe it was 80 lbs for my TL and I don't really see why it would be that different for the RL. (but then, I'm no expert) As far as the socket size is concerned, I'll have to get one (or two) and see what fits...
Call a dealer and ask, they will tell you. A good quality socket is not cheap. And let us all know what it turns out to be!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, which wheels did you get that didn't fit?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by UW RL
Hey, which wheels did you get that didn't fit?
17X7 BORBET TYPE CA SILVER
Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Racer

That would really be quite unacceptable to me, especially if you purchased the package using their vehicle description option. It isn't the first time I've heard of problems like that with TireRack, and not just with the RL. Either way, I'm glad everything was resolved. I hope you got all money back, including return shipping!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
That would really be quite unacceptable to me, especially if you purchased the package using their vehicle description option. It isn't the first time I've heard of problems like that with TireRack, and not just with the RL. Either way, I'm glad everything was resolved. I hope you got all money back, including return shipping!
Yes, that's exactly what I did, checked all the applicable car details to see what they had to offer for packages. I was in shock and quite irate that Saturday morning when I tried to mount the first tire.
I immediately called Tire Rack and got the wheels in motion (so to speak) to get a refund. They immediately sent the packaging material followed by a UPS pickup. It also helped that I emailed them a picture of the wheel hitting the caliper.
I checked the Tire Rack recently to see if they still sold that brand of wheel. They do, but they don't offer it with the RL. I guess they smartened up.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Arrow 22mm

Originally Posted by Chas2
Call a dealer and ask, they will tell you. A good quality socket is not cheap. And let us all know what it turns out to be!
Bought a 22mm yesterday and it's a good fit. Only need to figure out torque wrench setting now...
Old 05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

Thanks, off to Sears to buy a 22 mm deep socket. Thanks!