Question on 18" OEM wheel option

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:36 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Question Question on 18" OEM wheel option

On the website, it says the Michelin Pilot Sports are "recommended" when you opt for the 18" wheels, but it doesn't go on to say which tires are "standard".

Since the Pilots are summer tires, is there maybe another size up of the usual Michelin MXM4's included as standard when you select these wheels?

Can someone who got these wheels clue me in on this? TIA.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
When you buy the Acura 18" wheel and tire combo at the dealer, they come with Michie Pilots. Thus, the "recommendation". If you buy a full A-Spec package, you get these wheels and the tires as part of the package.

As you have seen here, most folks opt for different rubber by purchasing only the wheels.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Are you asking for the tire size?

If so, the closest would be 245/45-18, and of course, you would have to get V rated or better. Michelin is the favored vendor for Acura, at least for the RL

As far as tires, I guess it depends on your conditions. I think all seasons are a compromise at best doing nothing really well, except maybe rain. In Texas, you could use 18 summer tires, and switch back to the 17 all seasons in the winter, though I don't know how much of a winter you get there. Under 34 degrees, and your summer tires will be pretty iffy, even if the roads are not slick, the tires will be.

All of these tires will not get near the tread wear of the OEMs, and are pretty expensive, so if you are replacing every 15-25K miles, you may want consider that.

Max Performance Summer Tires to consider, in no particular order,

Michelin Pilot Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Goodyear F1 GS-D3
Yokohama Advan Sport
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Bridgestone Pole Position RE050

All seasons, not in any order, but all high performance as opposed to the luxury performance Michelin Pilot MXM4 OEMs:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
Yokohama Advan S4
Bridgestone Pole Position 960AS.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:09 PM
AcurAdmirer

Okay, I got moved to the Tire forum. This wasn't intended as a tire question per se, but an option question for new car purchase. But, anyway.

I suppose the best bet would be to buy the wheels and see if I can get the dealer to switch out the tires at time of purchase. That's a good way to get ripped off, I guess, but I don't really want to run on summer tires. We travel a lot and I end up in all kinds of weather. I find summer tires don't even do as well in rain as all-seasons.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Chas2
Are you asking for the tire size?

If so, the closest would be 245/45-18, and of course, you would have to get V rated or better. Michelin is the favored vendor for Acura, at least for the RL

As far as tires, I guess it depends on your conditions. I think all seasons are a compromise at best doing nothing really well, except maybe rain. In Texas, you could use 18 summer tires, and switch back to the 17 all seasons in the winter, though I don't know how much of a winter you get there. Under 34 degrees, and your summer tires will be pretty iffy, even if the roads are not slick, the tires will be.

All of these tires will not get near the tread wear of the OEMs, and are pretty expensive, so if you are replacing every 15-25K miles, you may want consider that.

Max Performance Summer Tires to consider, in no particular order,

Michelin Pilot Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Goodyear F1 GS-D3
Yokohama Advan Sport
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Bridgestone Pole Position RE050

All seasons, not in any order, but all high performance as opposed to the luxury performance Michelin Pilot MXM4 OEMs:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
Yokohama Advan S4
Bridgestone Pole Position 960AS.
Thanks for the info, Chas. I haven''t even checked to see what I could get in an 18, but you have addressed that pretty well.

If I had my druthers, I'd get something as close to the Michelins I have on my existing RL, although I'd find something even quieter if I could. But going to 245/45-18 almost automatically puts you in "sport" tire categories, so short tread life, so-so grip in bad weather and noisy tead are the norm.

It's just that I love the look of the split-spoke wheels on the A-Spec Pkg. so much more than the stock wheels.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Okay, I got moved to the Tire forum. This wasn't intended as a tire question per se, but an option question for new car purchase. But, anyway.

I suppose the best bet would be to buy the wheels and see if I can get the dealer to switch out the tires at time of purchase. That's a good way to get ripped off, I guess, but I don't really want to run on summer tires. We travel a lot and I end up in all kinds of weather. I find summer tires don't even do as well in rain as all-seasons.

Ah, if it's a question of optioning out a new car, you can do one of two things:

a) Take the summer tires that come with the wheels, and after purchase drive immediately to a store that sells Michelins and swap them for another tire. My wife and I did this with our recent Pilot purchase. We drove straight from the dealer after purchase to a tire shop and because the tires were brand new, we were given a "new" trade price that was deducted from the cost of the tires we bought. This would be MY preferred option as it saves you from being raped by the dealer.

b) Work with your dealer as noted above--some dealers are amenable to this as evidenced by trades noted on the 3G TL board.

Just so you know, the Michie MXM4s DO come in the optional 18" wheel size (245/45/18), so that's another thing to consider. (just looked it up on Tire Rack)

Trading in the TL already for another RL, eh?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried calling all the local michelin dealers for a tire trade-in and the best offer i got was $50 credit per tire. Told them the tires were brand new, only a few miles on them but they said that the tire size for the RL doesn't fit most other cars so they can't really turn around and sell it, even if brand new.

I'd really like to know how much quieter, if at all, the michelin pilot sport a/s is compared to the stock mxm4's because this is the only reason why i'm even considering switching them out. Anyone?

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Ah, if it's a question of optioning out a new car, you can do one of two things:

a) Take the summer tires that come with the wheels, and after purchase drive immediately to a store that sells Michelins and swap them for another tire. My wife and I did this with our recent Pilot purchase. We drove straight from the dealer after purchase to a tire shop and because the tires were brand new, we were given a "new" trade price that was deducted from the cost of the tires we bought. This would be MY preferred option as it saves you from being raped by the dealer.

b) Work with your dealer as noted above--some dealers are amenable to this as evidenced by trades noted on the 3G TL board.

Just so you know, the Michie MXM4s DO come in the optional 18" wheel size (245/45/18), so that's another thing to consider. (just looked it up on Tire Rack)

Old 06-20-2007, 01:25 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Thanks, Bob - I'm not sure just yet what I'll end up doing, but frankly the MDX is in the lead right now. I haven't ruled out another RL, but it's not choice #1.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got the A-spec 18" wheels from Curry Acura. They came with Michelin Pilot Sport tires (not the PS2's). I only have 200 miles on them so far. My initial impression is that the Pilot Sport tires are just about as quite as the OEM MXM4’s tires. Just a little louder when you are on coarse asphalt. The A-spec wheels improve the RL’s look immensely , both from the wheels and the aggressive tread design of the Pilot Sport Tires. I did notice a drop in MPG’s. I was getting a 27mpg on my MXM4’s now on the Pilot Sport tires I am down to 25.5. After I put on some miles I will post my impression
Old 06-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a bit weird. Maybe you need to drive some more to get a better average. Could be a fluke.

Assuming tire pressure is good, see if you have any noticable pulls or wobbles at high speeds. I've heard that allignment problems can cause noticable mpg drops. Even balancing problems can affect it, so they say.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
It is weird, too much to attribute to the difference in tire height between the 245/50-17 and the 245/45/-18s

Maybe you are having a little too much fun testing out the new found aggressivity of the PS/2?