PAX Replacement Costs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
PAX Replacement Costs

Just for the record, I called a well regarded area Michelin dealer, with 5 PAX certified installers on staff. I have not done the math, but this is what he told me over the phone as he calculated.

4 x PAX 245-680R460A @ $385
4 x Gel Packs @ 24.95
Subtotal $1645.00
Tax $98.76 (MD Sales Tax)
Labor 4x $80 = $320 (mounting and balancing)
Total incl disposal fee $2075

Interesting factoid, the gel pack always has to be replaced whenever the tire is removed, even for repair and re-installation. He said it is like KY jelly and lubricates the tire against the polymer support ring in the event of a flat, preventing damage to the tire as the ring supports the weight of the car in lieu of air.

Other factoids:

Honda Ody tires only cost $212 each, and Michelin has been good about replacing them for premature wear with little to no proration, depending on the situation.

Both Ody and Nissan Quest tires are stocked.

Acura tires are not stocked, but can be delivered within two business days, sometimes one, depending on the time of day the order is placed.

He said that manufacturers will not equip cars with PAX any longer starting with the 2009 model year, but they will continue to be manufactured and will be available for the forseeable future.

Since you can still get the TRX, I guess that is true.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for the info, Chas. It's good that Michelin will continue to make and stock PAX tires/wheels for those who require them.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Just for the record, I called a well regarded area Michelin dealer, with 5 PAX certified installers on staff. I have not done the math, but this is what he told me over the phone as he calculated.

4 x PAX 245-680R460A @ $385
4 x Gel Packs @ 24.95
Subtotal $1645.00
Tax $98.76 (MD Sales Tax)
Labor 4x $80 = $320 (mounting and balancing)
Total incl disposal fee $2075

Interesting factoid, the gel pack always has to be replaced whenever the tire is removed, even for repair and re-installation. He said it is like KY jelly and lubricates the tire against the polymer support ring in the event of a flat, preventing damage to the tire as the ring supports the weight of the car in lieu of air.

Other factoids:

Honda Ody tires only cost $212 each, and Michelin has been good about replacing them for premature wear with little to no proration, depending on the situation.

Both Ody and Nissan Quest tires are stocked.

Acura tires are not stocked, but can be delivered within two business days, sometimes one, depending on the time of day the order is placed.

He said that manufacturers will not equip cars with PAX any longer starting with the 2009 model year, but they will continue to be manufactured and will be available for the forseeable future.

Since you can still get the TRX, I guess that is true.
Sounds great in theory
Honda and Michelin should offer to shoulder some of the costs of replacing the PAX system with regular wheels and tires. They bet the system would catch on (so did I) and they lost. Who wants to drive around in a car that will be sidelined, at best, for days if you get a flat??? That is absolute and utter bullshit. I live in the upper midwest, the milage I could get from a flat PAX would not be even enough for a single usual one way trip to the nearest major metropolitan area, after that, the car could be sitting useless for days if not a week! As soon as michelin announced that PAX was history I got rid of our ody. We frequently drove it hundreds of miles away from any dealerships in areas where at best you'll find a tire repair shop run by a guy with few teeth and even fewer tires to select from in case of an emergency. It is also absolutely HORRIBLE customer service. I think the way Honda is handling this is not only bad customer relations but also stupid, if this became a class action they would spend exponentially more money in litigation costs than in simply offering a good discount on replacement wheels and tires.
Thats why Acura can't progress in the Luxury car business when you spend 50K on a car you expect the company to stand behind it, not to leave you stuck with a product that cannot fulfill its primary mission appropriately, getting you from point A to point B. If anyone wonders why Lexus is higher ranked than Acura they just have to have a little memmory, when the first LS were introduced they had a silly recall, lexus picked up the cars from the owners house and left them loaners, I guess they understood from the beginning what customer service was all about
Anyone around here interested in a class action?????? VOTE HERE
Old 07-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
...Anyone around here interested in a class action?????? VOTE HERE
Already done...

LINK

LL