Looking for a "softer" ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Looking for a "softer" ride

Last week I purchased a used 2009 with 8,000 miles and it has the 18 inch wheels with HX MXM4 tires. After driving a couple hundred miles on the freeway around the San Francisco Bay Area I have decided that the stiff ride is OK if the road is good, but on the poorer freeway roads the ride is much too stiff.

I didn't like the stiff ride in my 2004 TL and changed the tires to "H" rated from the "Z" rated OEM tires. I was much happier with the ride on the "H" rated tires and been running them for about 60,000 miles.

Since we will only be driving about 10,000 miles a year I am very tempted to just change the "V" rated tires on the RL now and sell the old ones on Craigslist. However I am hesitant as there are only the two Continental ContriProContact "H" rated 245/45/18 inch tires to choose from. I also noted that the difference between these two Continental tires is the load range - 96H and 100H (extra load). I assume that the 90H would be the softer riding tire.

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a different speed rating to "soften" the ride? What about experience with either of these two Continental tires?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
No experience, but the owner's manual does advise against going to less than a V rating. That may be a legal thing because even the speed governor is set higher than the H speed rating.

Just out of curiosity, how is your tire pressure? I find 32F 30R a little soft for my liking, so I increase the pressure, but I know that at 38, for instance, is a little too much.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Racer

Chas2
You are correct that the recommendation of “V” or higher is because of liability. Acura does not want the owner to be able to go faster than the rating of the tires. I had the same issue with my 04 TL. But I am not concerned as at 61 I will never get anywhere near the "H" speed rating.

And the pressure when I purchased the car was F34/R33. It is now F31/R29, but I can’t tell any difference between the two in ride stiffness.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I think there are options aside from compromising the speed rating.

You did not specify if the 18'' wheels were Acura wheels or an aftermarket wheel of a 'sportier' dimensions with lower profile tires.

The 09+ RLs do have firmer suspension calibrations than the 05-08 RLs. Also a rear stabilizer bar.

Assuming you have the OEM wheels, look on Tirerack.com for alternative tires and specifically focus on the ride comfort and noise ratings of those tires.

You will see the OEM Michelins are rated fairly low. An although I have had good luck and good wear with my Michelins, I also feel they are noisy and harsher riding than I prefer.

Most of the alternative tires offer quieter and smoother rides by the ratings. I am likely to replace my Michelins before summer and I am eyeing the Bridgestone Serentity tires as they have excellent ratings for those seeking a smoother quieter Grand Touring tire. And no need to drop the speed rating to achieve that.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Racer

TampaRL – Thanks for the very informative response and great advice

The 18” wheels are OEM on my early 09 (June 08) CMBS RL that came from Torrance CA, and I was told was an Acura Corporate as an “executive” vehicle.

Your advice of selecting a softer riding “V” rated “grand touring” tire is much better than my thought of changing to an “H” speed rated tire. I went to the “H” rating on my 04 TL as there were many “High Performance” 17 inch tires available in the “H” rating.

When I test drove this car I noted the stiff ride, but this being my 5th Acura I purchased the car “in spite of” the stiff ride as I thought that I could improve it. I think that Acura has made a major mistake in having the HX MXM4 as OEM tires as many people will not purchase the RL because of the stiff ride.

On my 95 Legend coupe Acura had OEM tires that did not wear well, but provided a good ride and top notch performance. This was actually noted in at least one review of the 95 Legend coupe against the Lexus SC (it’s competitor at the time), as an almost unfair comparative advantage.

I look forward to when the current tires are worn out so I can replace them.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

As I have been riding on the OEM Michelins for nearly 4 years now and 30K, they do wear pretty well. Some members replace them at 30K but a few reported nearly 50K miles before they needed replacement.

The MXM4s wear well because they are a harder rubber compound. The good side is the longer wear and less rolling resistance = better mileage. That is why I think Honda uses them. It sets better EPA ratings for the OEM equipped car. Durability is the other Honda forte.

But they are hard riding, louder and pretty crappy for spirited driving, especially wet traction. They also get louder after 15-20K. I tend to keep them inflated at 36F/34R PSI, not helping matters. They are smoother at 32PSI, but I find they flatspot and vibrate. I had that issue with my 05TL as well.

Stickier tires will perform better and softer compounds will ride better. But they wear faster (as you noted with your LEGEND). And as some members report here, they see a 2mpg avg drop in fuel efficiency.

I am one of the rare few who need not optimum performance and would prefer smooth, quiet and comfortable. The RL has made me more serene. And I am aiming for the Bridgestone Serenity tires in a few months (before our rainy season kicks in). My brother just switched from Michelins MXM4s on his Avalon to the the Serenity tires, and I must say the difference is remarkable. He did note a 1 mpg drop in efficiency.

Focus on the tire type, brand and model over the speed rating. Stick to the required speed rating, at minimum.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

As usual, Tampa provides sage advice!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I had Toyo Versado's for a bit on my 05 RL and they were by far the nicest riding tires I've ever had on a car. Check with a local tire shop in San Fran as I'm pretty sure Toyo has a large dealer network on the west coast.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Drive that sweet beauty to San Diego. Enjoy the coast on your way down and when you get here, I will swap you my oem 17" wheels for your rough riders. Mine have the same Michelins but luxurious, smooth sidewall depth and 14,000 miles on them. Heck, I'll even buy you two dinner at a place without paper napkins.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Racer

TampaRL: I was wondering why you are “leaning towards” the Serenity tires over the Michelin Primacy MXV4. When I compared the two on Tire Rack the MXV4s have a 30% higher treadwear rating, and are 14% less expensive. That makes the “cost of ownership” much higher for the combine these two features. Additionally, in the “test” section the MXV4s rate better in every test except wet traction. I spent 4 years in Key West, 2 years in Pensacola and several months in Jacksonville so I know that the wet traction is important to you in Tampa. But since it doesn’t rain here in California except for a couple of months in the winter I plan to go with the MXV4s.

Ballinger: Thanks for the “generous” dinner offer, but I have made the long trip through LA down to San Diego several times, and even lived in Chula Vista for 4 years, so I think I will pass on the trade.

Since we drove our 98 RL only about 5K to 8K a year, I am looking at more than 6 years of riding on these stiff tires. I am thinking that I will not wait to trade them out. Why spend so much money on a car and then put up with an uncomfortable ride.

Thanks all for the great information on this issue.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by jime
TampaRL: I was wondering why you are “leaning towards” the Serenity tires over the Michelin Primacy MXV4. When I compared the two on Tire Rack the MXV4s have a 30% higher treadwear rating, and are 14% less expensive. That makes the “cost of ownership” much higher for the combine these two features. Additionally, in the “test” section the MXV4s rate better in every test except wet traction. I spent 4 years in Key West, 2 years in Pensacola and several months in Jacksonville so I know that the wet traction is important to you in Tampa. But since it doesn’t rain here in California except for a couple of months in the winter I plan to go with the MXV4s.
My RL is a 2006 with 17" OEM wheels. Michelin does not make the Primacy MXV4s in my size...otherwise I would be considering them.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Which MXV4 is it that Costco has in the tire shop? I see them all the time. $$$ tires, too.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Racer

I wouldn't buy from Costco as I always get the "free" rotations from my tire dealer instead of paying the dealer. I find that it is only a few dollars more to buy from America's Tires/Wheelworks and the customer service is much better.

I now have 245/45/18 MXV4s on my RL. Not only were they very $$$ ($222/tire), but I have to pay 9.875% sales tax where I live. I have not had a chance to drive on the freeway with them yet, but will report on if I think the ride is $1000+ better when I get a chance to try them out.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The Primacy MXV4s seem to be Michelin's Grand Touring tire of choice. It appears the Pilot MXM4s are phasing out. Mercedes equips several models with the MXV4s.

But for those of us with the 17" OEM wheels, Michelin only offers the poorly rated MXM4s and the Pilot Sport variants. And there was the PAX debocle.

They are making it difficult for a Michelin customer to stay with the brand.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Racer

We drove about 40 miles on the freeway yesterday on the new MXV4 tires and the ride is definitely smoother. Coming from a 1998 RL “cushy” ride there is still too much “road feel” for my taste, but at least the stiff “jar” when going over each seam in the road is gone.

I don’t regret investing the $$$ because it would have taken us at least 3-4 years to wear out the MXM4 tires. Buying a new car and hating the ride for the first 3-4 years just didn’t work for me.

The old 245/45/18 MXM4 tires are now on Craigslist. There was still 70% of the tread remaining so hopefully by selling them as a complete set I will be able to get some money out of them.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm confused....you went from MXV4 to MXV4???
Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Racer

Quote: I'm confused....you went from MXV4 to MXV4???

No, I went from Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires to Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires.

The MXM4 tires are very poorly rated and ranked 23rd in the Tirerack “Survey Results” for Grand Touring Tires. The MXV4 tires are the number one rated tires.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Ahhhh, I gotcha! Hey thats great, congratulations I agree, no use in being miserable for years after you spent all that money. Well worth it to do it now.

Chris
Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Racer

I just thought I would post that changing the tires to Primacy MXV4s was not a total solution to this issue.

I drove our RL about 150 miles last weekend and have decided that the ride is still much too stiff, and the drive was definitely not pleasant. Although changing the tires helped, I certainly would not want this setup if I have to do a lot of driving.

Fortunately, it is my wife’s car and I won’t be driving it on the freeway too much. It is a good thing as the treadwear rating of the tires is 620 so they are going to be on the car for many years to come.

I think my expectations of a more comfortable freeway ride may be too high. However, I can also see an Acura with an adjustable suspension (ZDX) in my distant future.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

You might want to sit in the ZDX if you need to kill off that lust for one. Rear and quarter-panel visibility is such a bummer in the car. Snazzy front compartment, though!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
maybe you should swap to 17"s. the ride will be even more cushy.

My 06 RL has the OEM 17s. my parents have an 07 RL with the aspec 18" wheels. otherwise we have the same car, both have stock suspension. their car is noticeably firmer. it rides firmer on the freeway, but it also corners a bit better - so it's a tradeoff....

i think my car is much more comfortable for daily driving, but their car handles better.

you could probably easily sell your 18s and recoup a lot of your money, and then get OEM 17s or some aftermarket wheel in 17 and that might be just what you're looking for.

find another RL with 17s and drive it...