Finally De-Pax'ed

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally De-Pax'ed

I have a '07 RL I picked up earlier this year that had the Tech II with PAX system. Due to getting the car as a pre-owned from a dealer on a steal I reluctantly 'lived' with the PAX tires. Last Friday I ran over a piece of metal in the road that took out the rear passenger tire, thankfully I was able to get it to the dealer the next morning but that's when the adventure begin.

Michelin wouldn't honor the road-hazard warrantee as it expired as of July, yes July 2009. Acura decided they wouldn't budge on helping me replace the damaged tire and my dealer wouldn't offer any reconciliation either. I had a choice of buying a new PAX tire for $500 installed or just replacing tires/wheels all the way around. My dealer offered a half-hearted 'deal' on A-spec wheel with Michelins installed for $2K but I opted for Enkei wheels from Tire-rack along with Goodyear Eagle GT's and new TPMS sensors. All that ran much cheaper than the 'deal' the dealer was offering, hopefully UPS can get everything delivered tomorrow.

My real question is, where do I find a spare-tire (donut) kit and how much will it cost me? I searched the site but didn't find anything. Lastly, has anyone run the new Eagle GT's on their RL and if so are you happy with them?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
What kind of Enkei wheels are they? Are they the EKM3's?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, EK3's

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
What kind of Enkei wheels are they? Are they the EKM3's?
I was on the fence about those because I couldn't picture well what they would like on my black RL. I'm confident the wheels will look great but honestly I think they'll look better than the stock PAX wheels as I think those always looked too small and too plan for the RL.

That said, it's too late for second guessing.... Frankly in a way I'm glad this happened to push me into the de-paxing earlier than later. I do plan to fire off a rather nasty letter to Acura over their stance on the PAX system but I know it the end it will only make me feel better.

Has anyone sold their PAX wheels with OEM tires on Craigslist or Ebay? What can I realistically look at getting for them?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Pro

Oh, nice. I think they make the EKM3s in silver, but too bad tirerack only had the gunmetal black finish. How's the fitment on those, I'm guessing spacers are needed? It would be great if you can post some pictures. I'm pretty interested in those wheels, hence, all the questions.

Sorry that I can't provide any insight as to your questions because I am not familiar with the PAX system.

But your RL now looks even hotter with the new wheels =D
Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Cruisin'

Sure

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
Oh, nice. I think they make the EKM3s in silver, but too bad tire rack only had the gunmetal black finish. How's the fitment on those, I'm guessing spacers are needed? It would be great if you can post some pictures. I'm pretty interested in those wheels, hence, all the questions.

Sorry that I can't provide any insight as to your questions because I am not familiar with the PAX system.

But your RL now looks even hotter with the new wheels =D
Yeah I'm a little leery of how they'll look in person, after all you can only tell so much from Tire Rack's simulator. When I get the car back I'll snap some pics but I'm just glad to have this crap almost behind me. Curse Acura for their lack of doing the right thing about the PAX system. Be glad you don't have to be annoyed with it.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold my PAX wheels and tires (with only 5k miles, excellent condition) for about $1500 on e-Bay. I tried Craigslist first but got no hits since most buyers are locals and the market isn't that big for PAX. Give it a shot.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info Will

Originally Posted by Willpwr
I sold my PAX wheels and tires (with only 5k miles, excellent condition) for about $1500 on e-Bay. I tried Craigslist first but got no hits since most buyers are locals and the market isn't that big for PAX. Give it a shot.
That's what I'm planning on doing, I'll be tickled pink to get $1000 for them since one will be sans PAX tire on one of the wheels.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a settlement with Honda and Michelin, which was supposed to give you credit toward a spare tire kit. I know thats what we ended up doing with my mom's Odyssey. I thought Acura RLs were included in that settlement as well. You should be able to get a donut spare through Acura.

Any pics of the new rims/tires?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

My dealer is "seeing what they can do" wrt the spare kit

Originally Posted by Storm982
There was a settlement with Honda and Michelin, which was supposed to give you credit toward a spare tire kit. I know thats what we ended up doing with my mom's Odyssey. I thought Acura RLs were included in that settlement as well. You should be able to get a donut spare through Acura.

Any pics of the new rims/tires?
Frankly I'm not holding my breath but I've read they give you $100 of the kit, it's in question if it's retail or cost. I hope to know today.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ATLDiver
Frankly I'm not holding my breath but I've read they give you $100 of the kit, it's in question if it's retail or cost. I hope to know today.
You're going to need new lug nuts as well. The ones for the PAX wheels are different than for standard wheels.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Pro

Any updates ^.^? Curious to see how the Enkeis look