Chrome Wheels with PAX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Chrome Wheels with PAX?

We've been thinking about getting chrome wheels for the RL but I'm concerned about the compatibility with the PAX system. I also recall hearing somebody on here saying it can't be done. Any insight?
Old 07-15-2007, 02:30 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know, the PAX OEM wheels are the only ones recommended for use with the RL. There are differences with the suspension and TPMS, possibly more.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
As far as I know, the PAX OEM wheels are the only ones recommended for use with the RL. There are differences with the suspension and TPMS, possibly more.
more then recommended, as far as I know, there the only ones available -- anywhere. I'm afraid your stuck with them. Since they are alluminum I don't think chrome plating is an option either since chrome won't stick to allumnum.

If you want different and/or chrome wheels you'll need to get rid of the pax system
Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Have your wheels removed. Have the tires, stems, and PAX inserts removed. Find a chroming shop. Send your wheels to them to be chromed. Reverse process. If yo don't want to go through this, unless you want to change wheels, tires, lugnuts, and purchase a spare and related components, you're stuck with the PAX as-is.

LL
Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by lland
Have your wheels removed. Have the tires, stems, and PAX inserts removed. Find a chroming shop. Send your wheels to them to be chromed. Reverse process. If yo don't want to go through this, unless you want to change wheels, tires, lugnuts, and purchase a spare and related components, you're stuck with the PAX as-is.

LL
From what I know about chrome plating , you can't chrome an alluminum wheel. The chemical bonding process fails and the chrome peels off
Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
From what I know about chrome plating , you can't chrome an alluminum wheel. The chemical bonding process fails and the chrome peels off
Could be...I just don't know but I have seen chromed OEM wheels available so I figured there's a way to do it.

EXAMPLE

LL
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
PAX wheels are application specific so far, there are no alternatives to the current wheel 235 x 460A wheel for the RL, unless you are interested in the Odyssey wheel which is a also a 460 mm diameter, although I believe the width is 225 mm, at least according to an old Honda press release.

I do believe you can chrome the PAX wheels as noted by lland, but it could be problematic if you ever do a wheel tire unit swap under road hazard warranty through the dealer or travelling out in the boonies more than 125 miles from an authorized PAX capable Michelin dealer.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

PAX wheels are application specific so far, there are no alternatives to the current wheel 235 x 460A wheel for the RL, unless you are interested in the Odyssey wheel which is a also a 460 mm diameter, although I believe the width is 225 mm, at least according to an old Honda press release.

Some Audis had PAX on them, but I don't know if they ever sold them here. Nissan Quest has PAX, but as far as I can tell, they are 480, which would be closer to a 19" diameter, but then you don't have the right tire size available. Rolls and Bugatti, I did not bother to research the wheel size due to the same problems.

I do believe you can chrome the PAX wheels as noted by lland, but it could be problematic if you ever do a wheel tire unit swap under road hazard warranty through the dealer or travelling out in the boonies more than 125 miles from an authorized PAX capable Michelin dealer.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Go Big Blue!

Good point, since many dealers (most) still don't have the tire changing equipment, you need to be prepared to surrender your wheels in a swap when you get a flat.

I swear I read that chroming Alluminum wheels was a problem. To lazy to research it so I yield that argument.

By the way, how's everyone's PAX tires wearing? Mine seem to be doing fine. I keep hearing these rumblings that PAX tires wear prematurely. Not sure if it's user error or a flawed tire design. When I picked up my car I had them do a full allignment. There was a slight toe problem that they corrected. Also, I check tire pressure regularly and keep it slightly over inflated to ward off this "edge wear" I keep hearing about. Can't wait to see what happens with my tires. If they wear out after 12k then I'll agree with the argument that there is somethign wrong with these tires. I'll post my findings when the time comes
Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read somewhere that aluminum rim can be chrome plated.
Rim is to be plated with copper then follow with chrome plating.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Go Big Blue!

Hey if anybody has a cost effective way to do this post it here. I for one would love to chrome my pax wheels. The style is fine. It's the silver paint that makes it look cheap. Chrome those wheels and they will look good IMO
Old 07-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianTL
I have read somewhere that aluminum rim can be chrome plated.
Rim is to be plated with copper then follow with chrome plating.
How they plate aluminum wheels:

All the wheels are stripped of paint/clear coating or old chrome (extra cost) to the Bare aluminum.
All Wheels are fully polished for a smooth and shining finish
All Wheels receive:
First, a coat of Zinc & Nickel.
Second, a coat of copper is applied and fully polished, then
Third, a coat of nickel is done and
Finally the wheel is chrome plated to a mirror high gloss bright finish.
With our extensive quality control we are able to warrant your wheels from one year (motorcycle alloys) and three years (automobiles) against workmanship & materials against peeling and bubbling.

Here is the link.

http://www.chromeyourwheels.com/
Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Go Big Blue!

Thanks for the link! This is not something I'd want to do by mail, but it makes me realize it can be done. I'll have to look around town for a company that might do this sort of thing. Chrome wheels would finish it off for me
Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

If you get it done, be sure to post pictures.

LL
Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the link! This is not something I'd want to do by mail, but it makes me realize it can be done. I'll have to look around town for a company that might do this sort of thing. Chrome wheels would finish it off for me
We ought to see how many others are interested in this and perhaps get a group discount. I'd be game. The wheels are the only thing I think needs to be upgraded on the car.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Go Big Blue!

I'm going to look into it here in the orlando area. However, I can't see how this would work in a group scenerio. Logistically speaking it would be difficult, and that's probably an understatement
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Safety Car

I agree--logistical nightmare even without a group buy.

You would definitely need two vehicles and jack stands unless you had a spare set of RL wheels sitting around. Also would need a Michelin dealer willing to mount and demount the tires and support ring. Then drive all that stuff to chromer, and do the reverse. Assuming you could do the chroming in 24 hours, it would be a three day process. If you had to ship the wheels even worse.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Chas2
I agree--logistical nightmare even without a group buy.

You would definitely need two vehicles and jack stands unless you had a spare set of RL wheels sitting around. Also would need a Michelin dealer willing to mount and demount the tires and support ring. Then drive all that stuff to chromer, and do the reverse. Assuming you could do the chroming in 24 hours, it would be a three day process. If you had to ship the wheels even worse.
Yep

The only way I see it working is if the dealer is already hooked up with someone local for this type of thing. Maybe someone the body shop already uses for chrome jobs. Then they can work together and get it done. I'm going to look into it now that I understand it can be done. But, I'm not holding my breath. In fact, I'm expecting them to laugh at me when I suggest it.

I'm used to getting laughed at so that won't stop me
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Group Discount

I guess I meant that we might get a more favorable price from a chroming shop if several of us committed to send him our wheels for plating rather than each of us just finding a shop seperately.

Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I totally forgot about this. Thanks for the replies everybody.