Busted Front Rim

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 05:24 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Busted Front Rim

So my mom borrowed my 2006 Acura RL, and the front right tire got a flat. But instead of calling me or AAA, she decided to drive 10 miles to our mechanic ... and in the process the front right tire totally got shredded and the rim is all jacked up. The mechanic says he is not sure how to repair it since he is more of an oil change and engine guy, so reaching out here for help before I try taking it to the stealership. It also seems the bottom of the front bumper is all messed up on the right side too as it dragged on the ground, and some wiring seems loose there too.

Is it a pretty easy fix to just buy a replacement rim online and a used tire then stick it on with a new tpms? Or is there more intricate wiring that might be damaged?

Thanks ...
Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Buying a replacement wheel should be fairly simple, you can nab a used wheel from the next and put on any tire. I usually recommend changing tires in pairs. Wheels: just replace the damaged wheel.

As far as the wiring goes... Ouch :/ Without seeing pictures, it's hard to tell what was damaged.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear

To give an update ... took it to a body shop that our mechanic knows the owner of, we put the car up and saw all the damage. Basically the tire got shredded since she was driving on the flat so it became kind of like a whip and smacked the wheel covering area repeatedly, so it broke off complete, and took part of the front bumper with it. Also the wires that connect the airbag sensors to the front bumper, the VSA system, the ABS system, and SH-AWD system are all disconnected and causing the alerts to go off on the guid. The rim shop said the rims were okay to drive on as the inside seal area was protected, just the outer rim was driven on so itll just be ugly. We found a Bridgestone used tire with about 80% thread left and got it installed for $55, and the TPMS light went away so at least it seems the TPMS sensor survied the carnage.

The body shop guy says he will try to reconnect all the wires and hope that the sensors are not damaged and the system works again, worst case he says maybe the dealer will have to do a computer reset if that does not work. He's pretty confident that reconnecting the wires should do the trick. We will need to replace the wheel area covering (needed to protect the engine from debris and water that the tires will kick up) and the front bumper (mostly for aesthetic reasons as currently there is a hole on the wheel well).

I tried to load pictures but can't figure it out so just going with a verbal update ... hopefully they can put the car back together again. The body shop guy said he can do all the work for about $1300.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (08-13-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Way to go mom... this sucks bro, I would check with your ins company on coverage too.

Just make sure to say she didnt feel safe to stop, not that she "didnt" LoL
Old 08-15-2018, 11:16 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah but it's a 12 year old car with a bunch of scratches and dents so I went to liability only a couple years ago to save on premiums -_-;