XM Signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Question XM Signal

Under what conditions, if any, do you lose your XM signal? For the last couple of weeks, I have been been losing the signal while driving a specific section of tree lined and covered country road. I have also experienced a loss of signal if I turn the ignition off but with the car still on. The display will show no signal and if I change the channel either up or down the signal is restored. Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Acura Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have experienced the same thing on country roads, hilly tree lined areas and places where there are a lot of high buildings. I have not experienced the lack of signal while the car is on though.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tree line with lots of leaves (water blocks microwaves....) to your south will cause a loss of signal every time, especially if you're in the north part of the US.

Not much to do about it, it's just the nature of satellite.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:53 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Same here. Oddly enough, I had an after market Sirius setup in my old TL. I didn't want the antenna on the trunk or roof, so they installed it on the rear parcel shelf. Next to one of the speakers. I hardly ever had the signal cut out. Even on the same tree lined streets where XM now cuts out.

Odd.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
In Atlanta there is a slice of the city with highrises (around Bank of America tower) where XM and Sirius both cut out.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Acura_Mike23
... I have not experienced the lack of signal while the car is on though.
Let me clarify, this happens when I turn off the ignition (like when I am filling up with gas) and the accessories remain on, the signal will cut out and return only if I wait a long time or change the channel up or down. Odd
Old 06-21-2006, 06:38 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Let me clarify, this happens when I turn off the ignition (like when I am filling up with gas) and the accessories remain on, the signal will cut out and return only if I wait a long time or change the channel up or down. Odd
I don't know if my car is doing that or not...but I suspect that what you observe is merely because the satellite signal is not strong enough for the radio to function normally. The radio has to do a certain amount of downloading to play.

The very fact that you put your hand on the radio or get back into the car may affect the signal strength. One of the installers of my DirectTV dish (the one I didn't run off) told me that the signal to the dish is affected by nearby objects, such as trees, and that the dish actually picks up some reflected signal from these nearby objects.

I'll confirm what the others have said about objects blocking the signal..out here in the boonies, my XM signal will occasionally cut out when I park under a metal roof at fillups. Also, the signal will cut out when going by trees or buildings immediately to the South. This is predictable when in those locations and happens every time. The antenna needs a clear view of the signal source, whether it is directly from the satellite or being rebroadcast from a secondary source.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluemule
I don't know if my car is doing that or not...but I suspect that what you observe is merely because the satellite signal is not strong enough for the radio to function normally. The radio has to do a certain amount of downloading to play.

The very fact that you put your hand on the radio or get back into the car may affect the signal strength. One of the installers of my DirectTV dish (the one I didn't run off) told me that the signal to the dish is affected by nearby objects, such as trees, and that the dish actually picks up some reflected signal from these nearby objects.

I'll confirm what the others have said about objects blocking the signal..out here in the boonies, my XM signal will occasionally cut out when I park under a metal roof at fillups. Also, the signal will cut out when going by trees or buildings immediately to the South. This is predictable when in those locations and happens every time. The antenna needs a clear view of the signal source, whether it is directly from the satellite or being rebroadcast from a secondary source.
Thanks bluemule. At least now I know it's not just me.