XM NavTraffic Basic

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006 | 12:40 PM
Safety Car

XM NavTraffic Basic

I got my 06 RL in Sept. Was told XM would be paid by Acura for 1 yr. Got a bill yesterday from XM fo $30.25 and description says XM NavTraffic Basic. What is this for? I have tried calling XM but no one can tell me what charge is for. Each time I have used 'Traffic Incidences' in Houston I do not get any information. Can someone please tell me what this charge is for before I pay? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:17 PM
Advanced

Miner - seems like our friends at XM are having AP difficulties. In August i paid for a 2 year XM renewal for my RL and the wife's MDX, only to get a bill last week saying i owed them $36.75 for the next 3 months. When i called and spoke to XM, the guy was baffled and during the transfer to accounts payable, i was disconnected. Threw out the bill and will wait for another, unless they were smart enough to correct it.

Houston should be on the short list of covered cities, try this to check for traffic accidents:

Press the voice activation button on the steering wheel
Say "Display Traffic List"
It should return a list of traffic and construction data to the Navi screen.

Let me know how you make out.......
Old 10-18-2006 | 02:17 PM
Instructor

Sounds like things at XM haven't changed much. 3 months after I got my '05, XM sent a letter saying my 3-month trial period was up and wouldn't I like to pay them a bunch more money. I called just to make sure they wouldn't shut me off and the account was actually correct. Month later got another "oops, we screwed up" letter.
Old 11-09-2006 | 06:00 PM
AcurAdmirer

Me, too

Well, the story goes on. I just got a bill from XM for $20.47 ($18.30 for Nav Traffic Basic + $2.00 invoice fee). Invoice fee??? What, I have to pay them 2 bucks just to bill me???

I'll call them tomorrow and try to explain that I have a year of Nav Traffic free with my '06 RL, but if they give me any crap my dealer can work it out with them.
Old 11-10-2006 | 09:57 AM
AcurAdmirer

Okay, I called XM this morning. The first time they ran me through that long menu, then hung up on me. Grrrrr.

Second time, I finally got a person ... a lady with a thick accent who was hard to understand. (Why do companies do that?) She listened while I explained I shouldn't be billed for XM Traffic, then put me on hold.

When she returned, she said the Nav Traffic was a trial for 3 months, then I have to pay $9.99 a month for it. (Why, then, did they bill me for $20.47, especially since I haven't even had the car for 3 months yet?)

No, no, I explained ... the '06 Acura RL comes with a full year of XM radio and XM Traffic, and I haven't had the car 2 months yet. She wasn't buying it, though, so I hung up on her and called my dealer. I figured he has more pull with XM than I do.

The dealer called back in 5 minutes and said all is well - ignore the bill. Dealers have an XM rep they can get to and cut through the crap. I'm leaving for CA in a week, and if I don't see Nav Traffic around L.A., he'll get another call!
Old 11-11-2006 | 09:44 AM
AcurAdmirer

Boy, those people are screwed up. After getting my dealer involved and XM telling him everything was okay, I went out and found my Nav Traffic dead. Thing is, even if it were a 3 month trial (which it isn't), I haven't even had the car 3 months yet!!!

So I called the dealer again and within a half hour or so Traffic was magically working again.

I've never seen anything but "No traffic incidents within 30 miles" on the display, but it's the principle of the thing. I'm supposed to have it and it should be there. And as I mentioned, I'm leaving in a week on a trip and want to see how it does in big markets like L.A. and S.F.
Old 11-11-2006 | 10:01 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Boy, those people are screwed up. After getting my dealer involved and XM telling him everything was okay, I went out and found my Nav Traffic dead. Thing is, even if it were a 3 month trial (which it isn't), I haven't even had the car 3 months yet!!!

So I called the dealer again and within a half hour or so Traffic was magically working again.

I've never seen anything but "No traffic incidents within 30 miles" on the display, but it's the principle of the thing. I'm supposed to have it and it should be there. And as I mentioned, I'm leaving in a week on a trip and want to see how it does in big markets like L.A. and S.F.
Mike_TX, I might have misunderstood your post, but if you're only seeing the "No Traffic Incidents" message in the DFW area, NavTraffic is not working. I previously had the same problem, and only started receiving the construction/incident data after talking to XM and getting the NavTraffic service refreshed. Since then, it's been working and no invoices from XM, yet. I've had my 2006 RL since June.
Old 11-11-2006 | 01:13 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by gak45
Mike_TX, I might have misunderstood your post, but if you're only seeing the "No Traffic Incidents" message in the DFW area, NavTraffic is not working. I previously had the same problem, and only started receiving the construction/incident data after talking to XM and getting the NavTraffic service refreshed. Since then, it's been working and no invoices from XM, yet. I've had my 2006 RL since June.
No, I've been getting the traffic "strip" shown in the zoom scale, and the traffic option when I press the controller isn't greyed out (except for a while yesterday), so I assume that means it is working. Was yours showing that before you got it refreshed?

Thing is, I live in the Mid-Cities, and I doubt there is any coverage in this immediate area. Odd thing is, though, when I get over around the airport, I still get the "No incidents within 30 miles" message, even though I'm only a few miles from I-635 over on the north side of Dallas, where all those accidents happen.

May be just coincidence. Maybe I need to make a run over to Dallas and see if I at least see construction.
Old 11-11-2006 | 02:36 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

In the CHicago area you would never legitimately get "No traffic incidents". Between construction and accidents there would always be something.
Old 11-11-2006 | 03:09 PM
3rd Gear

No, I've been getting the traffic "strip" shown in the zoom scale, and the traffic option when I press the controller isn't greyed out (except for a while yesterday), so I assume that means it is working. Was yours showing that before you got it refreshed?

Thing is, I live in the Mid-Cities, and I doubt there is any coverage in this immediate area. Odd thing is, though, when I get over around the airport, I still get the "No incidents within 30 miles" message, even though I'm only a few miles from I-635 over on the north side of Dallas, where all those accidents happen.

May be just coincidence. Maybe I need to make a run over to Dallas and see if I at least see construction.
Mike_TX;
Before I got the NavTraffic refreshed, I was also seeing the traffic "strip" and the traffic option was not grayed out, but the NavTraffic was still not receiving the updates from XM. I live in Fort Worth and when I list the traffic incidents now, it shows accidents and construction incidents over 30 miles away. So I'm pretty sure that your NavTraffic service is not activated or operating.

To get my service operating, I called XM and told them that my XM radio service was working but I wanted to confirm that my separate NavTraffic service was as well. I explained that my RL should have 12 months of service for both the XM radio and NavTraffic. They checked with their supervisor, confirmed that the NavTraffic was not activated, and sent out a refresh signal. Since than, everything has been working.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2006 | 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I'm in San Antonio and just figured we didn't have the service, but after reading this thread I called and it hadn't been activated...so after some 'checking' it's been turned on.

Lesson Learned...if you are see the No Traffic Incidents in 30 Miles message it might be worth a phone call to XM to confirm it's activated.

Thanks Mike...
Old 11-12-2006 | 08:58 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by rpmjr
Thanks guys, I'm in San Antonio and just figured we didn't have the service, but after reading this thread I called and it hadn't been activated...so after some 'checking' it's been turned on.

Lesson Learned...if you are see the No Traffic Incidents in 30 Miles message it might be worth a phone call to XM to confirm it's activated.

Thanks Mike...
Thanks, gak - I'll call them tomorrow.

Old 11-13-2006 | 11:18 AM
AcurAdmirer

Well, I just got a refresh and there is still nothing showing on my Nav Traffic. I know there is long-term construction on I-35 within 30 miles of me, so at least that should show up.

I'll be in L.A. in a week or so, and if nothing shows there I KNOW it's not working!
Old 11-13-2006 | 08:54 PM
Intermediate

Well, I just got a refresh and there is still nothing showing on my Nav Traffic. I know there is long-term construction on I-35 within 30 miles of me, so at least that should show up.

I'll be in L.A. in a week or so, and if nothing shows there I KNOW it's not working!
Yup, me too. Still no change in traffic status....probably call again and just see if I get a different answer.