Weather

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006 | 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Lightbulb Weather

Is anyone interested in getting weather information on the Nav map? For example: tornado warning, temperatures, winter storm warning, fronts.

XM has this information for pilots and ships and I'm interested in having it for my car. Especially temperatures close to freezing when things get icy. I also think it would be good to know whether I'm driving into severe weather. I could pull-off long before I get to it.
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

I always thought it would be a good idea to have that displayed. Like you said, they offer it for other systems (e.g. marine). It would be pretty cool to have a live radar on your nav screen.
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

I think that would be great... Esp when doing long road trips and you know you're going through some storms that could turn severe once you leave.
Old 04-19-2006 | 12:36 PM
Drifting

Yeah, that information would be great to have. In my 1990 BMW 735iA the radio had a national weather band station. Quite helpful when travelling.
Old 04-19-2006 | 01:06 PM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by Treblig
Yeah, that information would be great to have. In my 1990 BMW 735iA the radio had a national weather band station. Quite helpful when travelling.
For years, SAAB cars have had a "Weather" button on the radio which instantly switches you to the nearest weather-band station.... push it, get a weather update, push it again and go right back to what you were listening to.
Old 04-19-2006 | 05:49 PM
Racer

Yes, this would be cool but why do you ask? Do you think this could be retrofitted with software? I'm not sure how the traffic info makes it from the XM box to the nav system and if this is extensible. I suppose they are basically 2 computers chatting so all the options are open but I suspect this is more than they're willing to chew off.
Old 04-20-2006 | 07:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Yes, this would be cool but why do you ask? Do you think this could be retrofitted with software? I'm not sure how the traffic info makes it from the XM box to the nav system and if this is extensible. I suppose they are basically 2 computers chatting so all the options are open but I suspect this is more than they're willing to chew off.
I'm hoping it's a feature Acura adds. Look at it this way XM already provides music and traffic and soon video (Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas) why not weather. XM already has the data for Marine and Aviation weather.
Old 04-20-2006 | 09:38 AM
Drifting

I'd be happy with just a dedicated XM weather band station..
Old 04-20-2006 | 10:23 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

It'd be nice to have this feature integrated into the nav data. We were out in the middle of nowhere up in northern Vermont on a snowboarding trip this winter and got caught in a frozen rain storm about 10 miles from our hotel. We wanted to stay on the main roads, but the nav system decided to take us down a deserted road.. a deserted hilly road that was totally frozen. If it werent for the snow on the side of the road and our snow tires, we wouldve been wrapped around a tree. Now if our navigation system were smart enough to avoid any smaller streets, we wouldve been okay. Instead it took us almost 3 hours to get out of that situation.
Old 04-20-2006 | 12:30 PM
kgd
Instructor

They could add this the same as they do for traffic info, as it already includes that for construction, slippery roads etc. They would just need to expand their coverage.
Old 04-20-2006 | 05:43 PM
Racer

It certainly would be nice to have. Do these systems show doppler radar images overlayed or does it simply show road conditions related to weather?
Old 04-21-2006 | 09:18 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
It certainly would be nice to have. Do these systems show doppler radar images overlayed or does it simply show road conditions related to weather?
Here is a link. I imagine that everything is posssible but what is practical?
http://www.xmradio.com/weather/index-2.html
Old 05-10-2006 | 01:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bearsfan
Here is a link. I imagine that everything is posssible but what is practical?
http://www.xmradio.com/weather/index-2.html
Geezopeets $$$. The lowest cost pricing for Nav weather by XM is $29.95 per month (granted aviation, marine eg more "pro" type markets)

I think I'd maybe pay $16/mo for XM Radio, NavTraffic, and Weather ALL TOGETHER. Weather alone maybe $3? Depends I guess on what they offer us. Including radar/doppler or some other cool stuff, maybe that's a fair price.

I guess you can get this XM weather on some aftermarket auto Nav systems now, but I saw some screen images (Garmin, I think? Can't remember exactly) and it seemed very basic. For even $3 more per month think I'd want more than just temperatures. Probably the whole warning/forecast/radar shebang but not nearly as much as the "pro" markets.

Anyone else up for buying XM weather on RL Navi!!!?
Old 05-10-2006 | 10:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLtechie
Geezopeets $$$. The lowest cost pricing for Nav weather by XM is $29.95 per month (granted aviation, marine eg more "pro" type markets)

I think I'd maybe pay $16/mo for XM Radio, NavTraffic, and Weather ALL TOGETHER. Weather alone maybe $3? Depends I guess on what they offer us. Including radar/doppler or some other cool stuff, maybe that's a fair price.

I guess you can get this XM weather on some aftermarket auto Nav systems now, but I saw some screen images (Garmin, I think? Can't remember exactly) and it seemed very basic. For even $3 more per month think I'd want more than just temperatures. Probably the whole warning/forecast/radar shebang but not nearly as much as the "pro" markets.

Anyone else up for buying XM weather on RL Navi!!!?

For me the extra $'s aren't worth it. When I want to find out about weather, I listen to the xm traffic/weather channel for my area. I know that some people don't live in an area that XMtraffic covers, but for many, this is a simple solution.