great car overall and the ACC and cllision mitigation works like a marvel

however
am TOTALLY frustrated by the voice recognition

i say find and it hears hide so often it does the exact opposite of my command

and Nav menus are totally non intuitive w too many submenus

any tips or shotcuts appreciated

i guess i was spoiled by my
$ 500 garmin ique
which was extremenly intuitive and in addition had acomplete palm based address book and calender and other goodies biult in including star caddy ( at extra cost)
Old 11-21-2005 | 10:17 PM
Racer

vicneo,

I can see your frustration, but please don't blame the NAV system. The voice command works very well, it just takes a bit of getting used to. We have all gone through this, and most of us now really like the voice commands.
Once you have learned the vocabulary, I think you will like the system, much better than your Ique. My biggest problem was saying "air conditioner full automatic", which would give me some unusual adjustment of fan speed or something...of course this was my problem because I should have been saying "climate control full automatic".
It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

Pete
Old 11-21-2005 | 10:29 PM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by vicneo
just took delivery of the 06 rl w tech package

however

$ 500 garmin ique
which was extremenly intuitive and in addition had acomplete palm based address book and calender and other goodies biult in including star caddy ( at extra cost)
I totally agree with you. I love my 2005 RL but the voice recognition is not upto par with the rest of the car or for that matter the fantastic voice recognition with the Onstar system. I have Cingular with bluetooth handsfree link for the past year but will be buying a Verizon phone with Onstar family share plan as a second phone soon because it is so easy to use the Onstar calling feature. Onstar's technology has gotten it down pat but Acura still needs some work on voice recognition techniques.
Old 11-21-2005 | 11:15 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by petemc
vicneo,

I can see your frustration, but please don't blame the NAV system. The voice command works very well, it just takes a bit of getting used to. We have all gone through this, and most of us now really like the voice commands.
Once you have learned the vocabulary, I think you will like the system, much better than your Ique. My biggest problem was saying "air conditioner full automatic", which would give me some unusual adjustment of fan speed or something...of course this was my problem because I should have been saying "climate control full automatic".
It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

Pete
Agreed. For the most part, any issues I have with the voice recognition now is due to my command phrasing. That is to say that I don't say the commands correctly. I either leave important words out or I say them in the wrong order, etc. Learning something new can take a while and be a bit frustrating, but it is well worth it. In short, I think the voice recognition system is very well done and most (not all) of the issues people have with it initially (me included) are those I mentioned above.
Old 11-22-2005 | 09:19 AM
Instructor

collision mitigation system, PAX tires

just took delivery of the 06 rl w tech package

however

$ 500 garmin ique
vicneo,

congrats on your purchase.

you mention that the cmbs works great. Could you expand on your comments? Did the CMBS seem to be too sensitive when you're driving in rush hour traffic? Also, how's the ride/handling with the PAX tires? THANKS
Old 11-22-2005 | 09:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Do you have an accent? This can throw off the system. But, just practice, and you will get used to how it likes to hear it. Congrats on the purchase
Old 11-22-2005 | 12:01 PM
Advanced

the cmbs seems to be integrted with the acc. let me tell you what happened yesterday as i was driving. i was on a street neer my place speed limit 30 and i had the acc set to 40 to test it out. there was another car around 150 yards ahead. w the acc i was maintaing a constant following distance. Car ahead stopped at a red light. i just let my car go on to see what happens. as i approached the red light, the following sequence occured - car slowed down to aropund 25 along w a series of beeps. - a flashing brake sign came on the dash and car kept slowing down. when we got to a speed of around 10 and we were really close i chickened out and hit the brakes, but i got this confidence level that if i hadent done that the car would still have avoided hitting the car in front.

as to the voice menus - yes i am south asian indian but i would venture that i have less of an acent than 99% of others like me. Apparantly this system is based on IBM via voice- which is a learning system. though acura did not devise it as a learning system - too bad
Old 11-22-2005 | 12:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnhayd
vicneo,

congrats on your purchase.

you mention that the cmbs works great. Could you expand on your comments? Did the CMBS seem to be too sensitive when you're driving in rush hour traffic? Also, how's the ride/handling with the PAX tires? THANKS

i havent noticed any ride problems w the pax tyres. and i did test drive a bunch of 05 at the dealer
Old 11-22-2005 | 04:55 PM
Advanced

Red face

i just discovered that voice recognition works bettr if you dont yell into the mikrophone

hehehe :
Old 11-22-2005 | 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 11-23-2005 | 02:38 PM
Racer

i just discovered that voice recognition works bettr if you dont yell into the mikrophone

hehehe :
...but you know if you do lose it and yell, scream and swear because it just doesn't want to take the voice command, the nice lady (or man) will always keep their cool despite you cursing them out

Have a great Thanksgiving with your new car

Pete
Old 11-23-2005 | 04:43 PM
Instructor

I have also noticed that if the voice recognition system recongnizes "yep" as "yes." For example if you tell the system to call home it will ask, "Call Home?"

"Yep" will complete the call.

And when you tell the system she has a sexy voice, she doesn't respond, but the blue lights in the roof blush red.

YMMV