Spoken XM channel name

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:41 AM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Spoken XM channel name

Was wondering if anyone else can duplicate the behaviour that I am seeing in my 06 RL.

Have XM Radio going and all the presets on a "bank" set. Also have it configured to speak to me when I am moving. So, this returns the spoken channel name when I push the "audio" button on the center dash.

So, I have Watercolors programed to a button, have selected that button and change to audio (from map display) and the "nice lady" says "watercolors". So far, so good. <g>

Now if I manually tune to another channel, which has NOT been programmed to a button (say Disney Kids for instance), then switch from map to audio, the "nice lady" says...did you guess? - Watercolors!

NOT what I expected at all. Now if Disney Kids IS programmed to a button preset (on the same bank) the lady will "get it right".

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Tom
Old 02-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I believe it has to do with switch to the audio menu.

When you switch to the audio menu, and you are in XM1 or XM2 mode, vs FM1, FM2 or AM, a blue highlight will appear around the last preset button that you used, and announce the channel name. So if Watercolors was the only preset programmed, it would be the last preset that you used, regardless of what XM station you may have manually switched to.

If you last used the Disney preset, a blue outline would appear around that preset, and the lady will announce Disney as you switch back to the audio menu. I guess this is their way of letting you know what the last preset channel was without having to look at the menu.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Moderator(s)---Probably needs to be moved to audio, navigation and bluetooth section
Old 02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I have noticed this behavior and Chas2 is correct in his assessment. I wish we could mute out the voice just for audio.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:01 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
I believe it has to do with switch to the audio menu.

When you switch to the audio menu, and you are in XM1 or XM2 mode, vs FM1, FM2 or AM, a blue highlight will appear around the last preset button that you used, and announce the channel name. So if Watercolors was the only preset programmed, it would be the last preset that you used, regardless of what XM station you may have manually switched to.

If you last used the Disney preset, a blue outline would appear around that preset, and the lady will announce Disney as you switch back to the audio menu. I guess this is their way of letting you know what the last preset channel was without having to look at the menu.
Yep. It's based on where the "cursor" is on the audo menu. Not always where the station is set.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:44 AM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the misplacement, didn't think about this best fitting in the "audio" section.

Altogether now.... <duh>

<wide grin>

I guess I had (wrongly) assumed that it would read you the channel it was on rather than a preset which you may or may not be on. Thought it was under the safety heading of "don't have to take your eyes off the road" or similar.

Also was looking for a sanity check - and, yes, others have seen this operation also.

Thanks to all.

Tom