The RL Nav Traffic blues...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005 | 12:19 PM
10th Gear

The RL Nav Traffic blues...

Picked up my '05 RL almost three months ago, and like many others out there, my Nav Traffic wasn't functioning.

I've never seen any real-time traffic info, and the "Nav Traffic" bar featured on the navi system when zooming out/in disappears after 20 minutes. In fact, the "traffic" icon option on the "Show Icon" list is blacked out and unavailable after those first 20 minutes.

So, in the past three months I've: (not necessarily in chronological order) read the manuals cover to cover, read through all related threads in this forum and others, had my radio refreshed both by XM and via the internet, opened another account with XM, had three service calls at my local dealer, replaced my original XM radio, had every patch and software upgrade performed spoken with Acura of North America's office two dozen times and, of course, opened up a case file.

The status as of today is nothing, nada, bupkis. Acura's position is that I have to wait for them to develop a new patch, and figure out the part number(s) to replace. They won't replace the hardware with a newer one which would, according to my "Case Manager" solve the problem, so I have to wait. How long? "Could be 6 months, or longer. There's really no way to tell"

I don't think the NY State Lemon Law applies to this, so my options are few.

Wonderful.

Anyone else out there in Nav Traffic hell?
Old 11-22-2005 | 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Call XM and verify that your radio has the navtraffic feature enabled.
Old 11-22-2005 | 03:06 PM
10th Gear

Tried that too.
Old 11-22-2005 | 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Call again - some XM reps are stupid and don't know what you are talking about. Tell them traffic doesn't display and you have had the units swapped out in the past. Call a few times to make sure you get a somewhat intelligent rep.
Old 11-22-2005 | 05:26 PM
Racer

call the number I posted a few threads down about Xm not knowing about the reboot issue. Perhaps if you bypass the 1st level support they can help.
Old 11-22-2005 | 05:51 PM
10th Gear

I've been dealing with the assistant to the CEO and a Senior Technician at XM, I wish it were that easy.

According to Acura, they know about the problem, however, it must not be terribly widespread, or they'd make finding a solution a priority. I'll try that reboot number tomorrow anyway. You never know. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2005 | 05:55 PM
Racer

Keep us posted please.
Old 11-22-2005 | 09:34 PM
Advanced

I had two AcuraLink modules replaced before my problem was finally fixed with the installation of a third one. My dealer told me there were bad units left on the shelf and that they had a couple of RLs returned to them after replacing the first one during to resolve the XM TSB issues.

You may want to visit another Acura dealer to see if you can get them to swap the unit with another one.
Old 11-23-2005 | 06:22 AM
10th Gear

Acura has refused to put any new parts into my car, they insist they're working on a "fix", and I'll have to wait for it.

In fact, most of the parts associated with the XM radio and Navi system cannot be sent to a dealer without beingapproved by the tech department, they're in charge.
Old 11-23-2005 | 10:06 AM
10th Gear

Called the number Nocturnal suggested this morning, still not working.
Old 11-23-2005 | 10:17 AM
2006 RL Carbon Gray/Ebony

I am having NAV traffic problems also...dealer is clueless as to how to fix them.
Old 12-01-2005 | 05:53 PM
10th Gear

Just an update:

Still not working.

No word from the dealer or Acura.

If I can prove that the lack of Nav-Traffic seriously impairs the value of the vehicle to me, I have a case. I'll call the bozos at Acura one last time tomorrow before I file.
Old 12-01-2005 | 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry hababa - you won't be able to prove it. Any arbitrators and judge is going to know that it's not a serious impairment for a lemon claim. (I have been through the lemon process with my own vehicle - and have since helped several others). You can, however, try to go after a warranty claim through the arbitration process saying that acura has been refusing to repair the problem under warranty. If you happen to win the case (which is a BIG if) - they would deduct use of the vehicle and you would lose your taxes. Best bet is to accumulate the number of days needed in the shop for repairs in order to get them to buy it back. (30 days in many states)
Old 12-01-2005 | 06:03 PM
Racer

That sucks hababa. As for the lemon thing, I have no idea how possible that is but I would claim that I chose the RL over the M35 because of the traffic capability and nothing else. Worth a shot.
Old 12-01-2005 | 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

That could be an argument, probably not going to work with an arbitrator though. They are going to look at you and say, well you are driving a good car and then say that its not a lemon. You can try - if you need any help with the process or questions, feel free to PM me and I can try to help you as best as I can.
Old 12-01-2005 | 06:12 PM
10th Gear

I hear both of you, and believe the lemon law is a longshot. However this car was leased for 3 years and 90K miles, with weekly trips to NYC, Boston, and DC, and - believe it or not - the deciding factor between the RL, Infiniti and Lexus GS was the Nav-traffic.

I'll most likely go the arbitration route since Acura now refuses to fix it by replacing any hardware until they can "develop the fix". I have no problem taking a chance on the legal route if necessary, my only exposure is the filing fee.

It's so incredibly frustrating when these wonderful people at Acura acknowledge the proble, but refuse to fix it.
Old 12-01-2005 | 06:15 PM
10th Gear

Remember, the arbiter will consider the fact that Acura can replace the hardware and most likely fix the problem. They won't because it's not cost-effective for them to do so, they have no problem making me wait indefinitely.

I'm not necessarily looking for a new car here, just what was advertised.
Old 12-01-2005 | 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Ahh, that makes sense (that must also be an expensive lease - I assume tax reasons). As far as the arbitration - like I said, if you need help, feel free to PM me. I have had FAR too much experience with this (really, maybe it is time to write a book on it!)

Might I suggest, getting in an RL that works - and take pictures of the navi screen showing the traffic working - this way the arbitrator will have something to compare to.
Old 12-01-2005 | 06:55 PM
10th Gear

good idea, I would also use the Acura literature on it's "Nav-Traffic". The more they crow about it, the more they have to ensure it works.
Old 12-11-2005 | 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hababa
Picked up my '05 RL almost three months ago, and like many others out there, my Nav Traffic wasn't functioning.

I've never seen any real-time traffic info, and the "Nav Traffic" bar featured on the navi system when zooming out/in disappears after 20 minutes. In fact, the "traffic" icon option on the "Show Icon" list is blacked out and unavailable after those first 20 minutes.

So, in the past three months I've: (not necessarily in chronological order) read the manuals cover to cover, read through all related threads in this forum and others, had my radio refreshed both by XM and via the internet, opened another account with XM, had three service calls at my local dealer, replaced my original XM radio, had every patch and software upgrade performed spoken with Acura of North America's office two dozen times and, of course, opened up a case file.

The status as of today is nothing, nada, bupkis. Acura's position is that I have to wait for them to develop a new patch, and figure out the part number(s) to replace. They won't replace the hardware with a newer one which would, according to my "Case Manager" solve the problem, so I have to wait. How long? "Could be 6 months, or longer. There's really no way to tell"

I don't think the NY State Lemon Law applies to this, so my options are few.

Wonderful.

Anyone else out there in Nav Traffic hell?

Darn!!! I purchase an 06 RL on 11/15/05 and have the same issue. The dealer says that they have never heard of such problem and don't know how to fix it....what's the next best approach??? Please help.
Old 12-11-2005 | 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Go back to your dealer and tell them you expect them to fix it even if it requires them to get the regional tech and/or the engineers helping them. Be firm, but kind, and they should respond well.
Old 12-11-2005 | 10:51 PM
Racer

Or do what's been described several times in these forums. Call XM and set up your own account with credit for whatever time is left on your Acura OEM account. That fixed it for me anyway.
Old 12-11-2005 | 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Or do what's been described several times in these forums. Call XM and set up your own account with credit for whatever time is left on your Acura OEM account. That fixed it for me anyway.

Good point. I always forget that is what several of you have done.