OnStar Phone Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OnStar Phone Question

I have a 2005 RL. I want to use the built-in OnStar phone to call my business voice mail system. To do that I have to dial the phone number of the voice mail system then, when the system answers, send my 10-digit password.

The first part is easy - I have stored the phone number of the voice mail system with a name tag and I use the Call command to dial it. The second part (sending the password) seems impossible. The people at OnStar suggested I press the Digit Dial button when the voice mail answers then speak my password one digit at a time. The problem with that is it takes too long to do it and the voice mail system disconnects me before I can speak my whole password.

I tried storing my password with a name tag but I have not found a way to tell OnStar to send it once the voice mail system answers.

Is there any other way to send the password?

Unrelated question ... where is the OnStar microphone located in the car?

Peter
Old 08-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PMokover

Peter
Looking up at the roof console, the OnStar microphone is behind the perforations in the row of phone buttons...that's the row of buttons closest to the driver. The row of buttons closest to the passenger seat are the garage opener, etc. buttons.

Good luck in figuring out how to send the password...I'm having to use my 7 year old digital Nokia to access the messages on my answering machine. But that technologically advanced, handsfree but useless for accessing phone messages, black Razr, sure is sharp looking sitting on the dash...yesiree Bob!!! And oh, I can't get OnStar to access my messages either.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
But that technologically advanced, handsfree but useless for accessing phone messages, black Razr, sure is sharp looking sitting on the dash...yesiree Bob!!!
My post is a little misleading...the Razr works fine to send the password if I pick it up and punch in the numbers...I haven't figured out how to accomplish that handsfree.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2005 RL. I want to use the built-in OnStar phone to call my business voice mail system. To do that I have to dial the phone number of the voice mail system then, when the system answers, send my 10-digit password.

The first part is easy - I have stored the phone number of the voice mail system with a name tag and I use the Call command to dial it. The second part (sending the password) seems impossible. The people at OnStar suggested I press the Digit Dial button when the voice mail answers then speak my password one digit at a time. The problem with that is it takes too long to do it and the voice mail system disconnects me before I can speak my whole password.

I tried storing my password with a name tag but I have not found a way to tell OnStar to send it once the voice mail system answers.

Peter

Is there a reason you arent using a bluetooth phone? With the handsfreelink you can insert pauses into the phone book and it will send the password automatically.... just a suggestion, because if your system disconnects you before you can speak the whole password you are out of luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:48 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Originally Posted by vp911
Is there a reason you arent using a bluetooth phone? With the handsfreelink you can insert pauses into the phone book and it will send the password automatically.... just a suggestion, because if your system disconnects you before you can speak the whole password you are out of luck.
I use the HFL for sending pascodes to. i usually do the "send function"

press talk
say send
press talk again and say passcode
say yes, and it sends.

works fine for me.

but you can also store the passcode as a memory, so you can call your voicemail, and say "send voicemail passcode" or something to that affect and it will send it as well.

hopefuly you get whatever method works for you, onstar or HFL.

the razr is great. but personally, I like the treo 650. looks more "executive" to me. but i wish it was as thin.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Advanced

The reason is Verizon is my wireless carrier (not an option to switch now) and their bluetooth phone choices are rather limited right now. I expect that to change soon but in the mean time I'd like to be able to call my voice mail system from OnStar.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sequoia
I use the HFL for sending pascodes to. i usually do the "send function"

press talk
say send
press talk again and say passcode
say yes, and it sends.

works fine for me.

Does this work with the built-in OnStar phone or only with a bluetooth phone?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:06 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

I wasn't rich enough to have the RL, so I have the TL. (which I adore btw) so I don't know about onstar. works with HFL and bluetooth phone though. but using the phone on onstar is a separate fee if i understand correctly.

so i guess i'm asking why would you use onstar to make a call and pay for minutes to use it when you could use your bluetooth phone and HFL and use your existing minutes?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

I believe this only works with the BT phone.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Advanced

so i guess i'm asking why would you use onstar to make a call and pay for minutes to use it when you could use your bluetooth phone and HFL and use your existing minutes?
Because I don't have a bluetooth phone yet. I'm waiting for some better phone choices from Verizon which I expect soon.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:42 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

ahh... switch to sprint. verizon might have great customer service, but i don't like their phones personally.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

ahh... switch to sprint. verizon might have great customer service, but i don't like their phones personally.

Yes, but verizon's coverage seems to exceed sprint. What really matters? coverage or the look of the phone? Of course this varies everywhere - verizon (IMO) is better in the detroit area than sprint - or any of the other carriers to be honest. I have had all of the carriers in the last few years.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Too bad you're not in the D.C. area. I've found Cingular has better coverage than Verizon (more places, more bars to use their phrase) and lower rates and nicer phones. Best hardware switch I ever made (other than Mercedes E to RL).
Old 08-26-2005, 08:35 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

Yes, but verizon's coverage seems to exceed sprint. What really matters? coverage or the look of the phone? Of course this varies everywhere - verizon (IMO) is better in the detroit area than sprint - or any of the other carriers to be honest. I have had all of the carriers in the last few years.
you're right. I'm in santa barbara, ca and i've never had a problem with anyone here. I guess they want all a piece out here...

I hope a new verizon phone with bluetooth is availabile soon for you...

maybe i misunderstood, but didn't you say you had a black RAZR? thats a bluetooth phone. it should work. and i thought that phone was only availible to cingular, t-mobile and cingular one.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Advanced

I don't think Verizon has great customer service. I'd be more inclined to say it's less bad than the others ... but certainly not great ... or even good.