Is this a normal HFL problem with the iPhone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:01 AM
Advanced

Is this a normal HFL problem with the iPhone?

I can get my iPhone to pair with the HFL just fine. I can place and answer calls from the steering wheel controls, and the battery and signal icons come up in the display.

However, if I dial a number from the iPhone itself, it won't work. The phone will dial, but the car won't recognize the call. If I hit the HFL button and say "transfer", it responds that "there are no active calls." If I keep "HandsFreeLink TM" selected as the audio output on the iPhone, I can't hear or talk to the person I am calling. I have to switch off of the bluetooth connection and talk into the phone.

Is this normal for other iPhone users, or is there something wrong with my system and/or the iPhone? If that is the case, any ideas on what might fix it? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2008 | 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bnl107
I can get my iPhone to pair with the HFL just fine. I can place and answer calls from the steering wheel controls, and the battery and signal icons come up in the display.

However, if I dial a number from the iPhone itself, it won't work. The phone will dial, but the car won't recognize the call. If I hit the HFL button and say "transfer", it responds that "there are no active calls." If I keep "HandsFreeLink TM" selected as the audio output on the iPhone, I can't hear or talk to the person I am calling. I have to switch off of the bluetooth connection and talk into the phone.

Is this normal for other iPhone users, or is there something wrong with my system and/or the iPhone? If that is the case, any ideas on what might fix it? Thanks.
I don't think that's an iPhone problem. I have the same issue at times with my Moto Q9h and with my previous phones, a RAZR and a KRZR. I think it's Acura's bluetooth implementation and not any issue with the phones.

The only real fix is to voice dial the number yourself using the HFL button and the voice commands - which is a pain if you can't remember the number. What I usually do is bring up the contact list on the phone then voice dial from the car. An inelegant solution, but it works.
Old 08-10-2008 | 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Agree with dwboston; this is how I have to handle the same problem with my Blackberry
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:06 PM
'06 RL

My iPhone 3G will transfer over to the HFL in my '06 if I dial from the handset, and then choose "handsfree link" from the source menu on the iPhone. I don't need to press any steering wheel buttons, or use the "transfer" command, but it won't transfer over UNTIL the call is connected. In order for there to be a call "in progress" there must be a connection - which means your party has to have answered. That basically means you will miss the first few seconds of the call, where people are saying "hello? hello?" and they can't hear you .

It's sub-optimal, but it does work for me.
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:30 PM
Advanced

Thanks jftjr... I'll try that this afternoon and see if it works.
Old 08-12-2008 | 12:09 PM
Safety Car

This is a phone specific issue. Some phones fully linked, some partially. The bluetooth stacks on each phone are different. I have a 2 yr old treo (windows mobile) and the "transfer" command works fine. It will transfer when ringing before call is connected.
Old 09-21-2008 | 06:40 PM
Instructor

I just tried to pair a new 3G iPhone with my car (08 TL, navi). It paired fine, and I made one test call. But I could not end the call ... the 'end' button (steering wheel) was ignored. I ended up turning off the car. I then restarted the car; tried to initiate a call ('Call 511') but car said, 'no phone found' or similar. So I tried to pair again, but it said '6 phones already paired' (I've successfully paired 5 others, and the iPhone was the 6th). So I deleted the iPhone pair, and started again.

Second time around, it would get stuck right after "Phone Setup" and "Pair". I again had to turn off the car completely. I tried about 5 times, and gave up. Once I gave up, I powered back up my trusty Motorola Q, which worked flawlessly. I've also had no problems (pairing/etc wise) with a samsung blackjack, palm treo 700w, and a few others. This is a real bummer because I was all set to buy the iPhone but successful pairing and operation with my 08 TL is essential ... I use it all the time!

Are there updates to the phone that will fix this? If updates to the car are required, will they do that for free under warranty?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2008 | 07:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just tried to pair a new 3G iPhone with my car (08 TL, navi). It paired fine, and I made one test call. But I could not end the call ... the 'end' button (steering wheel) was ignored. I ended up turning off the car. I then restarted the car; tried to initiate a call ('Call 511') but car said, 'no phone found' or similar. So I tried to pair again, but it said '6 phones already paired' (I've successfully paired 5 others, and the iPhone was the 6th). So I deleted the iPhone pair, and started again.

Second time around, it would get stuck right after "Phone Setup" and "Pair". I again had to turn off the car completely. I tried about 5 times, and gave up. Once I gave up, I powered back up my trusty Motorola Q, which worked flawlessly. I've also had no problems (pairing/etc wise) with a samsung blackjack, palm treo 700w, and a few others. This is a real bummer because I was all set to buy the iPhone but successful pairing and operation with my 08 TL is essential ... I use it all the time!

Are there updates to the phone that will fix this? If updates to the car are required, will they do that for free under warranty?

Thanks!
OOPPPSS - sorry! I didn't realize this was the RL forum! I searched and found this thread, didn't see where it was.
Old 01-17-2012 | 02:50 PM
Intermediate

problems still exist in phone 4s .....
dial form the phone will not recognize by the hfl
incoming calls are no problems
what i do is dial and hang up and use hfl command "redial"
Old 01-17-2012 | 03:18 PM
Safety Car

Can you use "transfer" command without hanging up?
Old 01-17-2012 | 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

If they haven't figured it out three and half years later, there is no hope.
Old 01-17-2012 | 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

LoL, damn the old threads... If you dial out from the 4s, press the "source button" and you will get this screen

The top option should be you HFL