Neo or USASpec iPod + mp3 port install

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007 | 09:02 AM
Safety Car

Neo or USASpec iPod + mp3 port install

I have been searching for a picture of the 2007 RL mp3 port, I could have sworn I saw one, but I cannot find it. Search does not like the use of mp3 as a search term, too broad.

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone has installed both the iPod cable (I like backfire's installation idea, and then also used the auxilliary RCA cables to also install an mp3 port. I have passengers on occassion that have mp3 players that are not iPods.

Most importantly, I would like to see pictures of the dual cable installation!

What is the mp3 port, by the way? I am thinking it is a standard RCA left and right channel on one end that plugs into the Neo/USASpec, and then terminates in a female 3.5mm (1/8") headphone jack. I am guessing this would be somehow permanently mounted to the front wall of the center storage bin.

Then you buy another cable, male 3.5mm jack on either side, one to plug into the mp3 player headphone jack, and one to plug into the so called mp3 port that is somehow installed in the center console.

Any ideas, pictures, etc?

Any sources for a 3.5mm female to RCA cable that has some kind of collar on it? The designs I have seen, I can imagine getting pushed through the wall of the center console, and then getting "lost", requiring me to open up the whole console again. I have no idea how to secure the female 3.5 mm jack to the front center storage bin wall.

As good as they are, backfire's pictures make the project look daunting to me. If it took him two hours, it would probably take me 4!

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2007 | 10:31 AM
Instructor

I think I understand, that you would like the device closer to the center console as to use it for both and be able to flip the dip switch. I think you might be able to do that if you ran the cabledown from the radio thru the center console. The only issue maybe where to mount the device. The only place I see where you could get to it in a regular bases( and not have it show) would be in the far end of the center console in bottom of arm rest or the glove box. The reason I didnt want it in the glove box was 1) to far for driver to reach safely 2) wear on glove box being opened and closed. That leaves the center console. I am not sure there is enough cable to reach might be tight. As long as it took me to do install. Believe me I took my time not wanting to break anything and once all apart I wanted to make sure it worked ,so I hooked up battery and tried before buttoning it all up. Like anything once you have done it could probably do it in less than 1 hour. Like I said I took my time, cause I pulled out the cover in the bottom of the center console to drill the right size hole to pull cable through and put a stop on it so cable would not be pulled to far out. What ever you deceide good luck just take your time. If you need the install instructions for the MUSIC link they helped I got them from Sasair ( Thank you again to him)
Old 02-09-2007 | 12:25 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Do the dips have to be changed each time you go from Ipod to aux? I was thinking of getting one & running Sirius through the aux in.
Old 02-09-2007 | 01:32 PM
Instructor

one of the dip switches works the aux. so you would have to switch it when yusing the rca plugs
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Wow, I did not know that about the DIP switches. Bad ASSumption on my part. I guess I will have to rethink the whole thing.
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:26 PM
Instructor

I may be wrong, but I am reading my USA Spec directions and it clearly states that the "PA11-HON2y is capable of connecting two audio sources to your Honda radio including the ipod."
Therefore, you can have both cables go to the center console and have to option of going MP3 or ipod. Disc 6 would be for mp3 and Disc 5 would be ipod. I am pretty sure this would work.
As for the auxiliary cable is concerned. I have a cable that has the RCA on one end and male mini headphone jack on the other which connects directly to the headphone jack of the mp3 player.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:31 PM
Instructor

I forgot to mention that once the dip switch is set to turn on aux input (dip switch #1 set to off), it will not need to be touched again so it can be installed anywhere inside the car.
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:34 PM
Safety Car

No DIP switching needed with Neo!

Originally Posted by backfire
one of the dip switches works the aux. so you would have to switch it when yusing the rca plugs
I just got an email in response to my inquiry about this, from Neo.

Logan Fox of Neo writes:

you will be able to toggle between ipod and aux via your radio buttons. there is no dipswitch needed to access one at a time.
--
Best Regards,

Logan Fox
www.neocaraudio.com
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lausy
I forgot to mention that once the dip switch is set to turn on aux input (dip switch #1 set to off), it will not need to be touched again so it can be installed anywhere inside the car.
Thank you for that. I was afraid I had an "either or, but not both" choice in front of me.

Anyone have any pictures of such an installation?
Old 02-09-2007 | 05:49 PM
Instructor

The install wouldn't be much different than the pictures posted by backfire. In the first picture where he has the ipod cable coming through into the center console, you would have both cables going into the center console. You will just run both the ipod and aux/rca cables to the center console.
Just remember to take off the piece of trim between the cup holder and center console and the cupholder should pop off.
That gum trick to take off the 2 hidden 8mm screws work really well. When you look down there, there are 2 sets of screws, you only need to take off the top set along with the 4 on the side to get the radio stack out.
Good luck!
Old 02-09-2007 | 07:09 PM
Instructor

The Neo is what I have and it looks just like the USA SPEC and says USA SPEC on cable. I would bet they are the same and Neo just puts their name on it and charges more $$$$.
Old 02-09-2007 | 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chas2
I have been searching for a picture of the 2007 RL mp3 port, I could have sworn I saw one, but I cannot find it. Search does not like the use of mp3 as a search term, too broad.
I took this picture at the NAIAS a month ago. You probably saw it in my thread on the event. It is in the center console and in this blurry picture is the gray nub. It appears to be just a standard headphone jack. In theory, you could plug an iPod into that via the headphone jack.

Old 02-09-2007 | 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Thanks, neuronbob, that is exactly the picture I remembered (not the details, of course). I never would have looked in the NAIAS thread. I was combing all the audio threads and 2007 RL threads.

Now if I could only find a port like that. I think I may end up having to have a cable with a male plug sticking out of a hole in the storage bin wall.